should i consider doing something else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

will12995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, im new to the forum and wanted some advice as to what should i do.

so currently i am a junior majoring in cell biology and neuroscience at Rutgers University. i really want to go to medical school (DO/MD, it doesn't matter). My GPA as of now is a 3.4 cumulative and science. i don't have any research experience because i had have a lot of responsibilities at home involving having to take care of my special ed. brother, for whom i would go home and help with his school work. on top of that i had to work to try and pay off some of my school bills since i am from a economically challenged family. i do have some hospital volunteering hours and am currently in an EMT class and was planing of volunteering as one after i pass my state certification exam.

do you guys think that if i were to get some volunteering hours between now and graduation and raise my gpa too, i would have a shot at getting into a medical school provided i get a descent MCAT score (505+) i dont really care whether is an MD or DO program.

or maybe should i try for something else? such as PA school? i would appreciate any advice since as of now i feel lost as to what direction i should be heading towards. thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

You would be competitive for DO schools as long as your MCAT is at least 500. It would help to do some DO shadowing since some DO schools require a LOR from a DO. Just apply early in the application season (June) and apply broadly to at least 15 schools and include many of the newer schools.

If you hit 505 you'll be competitive for many DO schools and maybe some of the newer MDs. Remember that working and taking care of your brother are both substantial ECs that you can list on AMCAS and will be viewed very favorably by adcoms. That will make up for not having much volunteering. I'd suggest getting some shadowing in rather than volunteering, since you still need to show a solid basis in understanding what an MD does day to day. Adcoms will understand that you didnt have time for volunteering if youre devoting tons of hours to caring for your brother and working.

Since youre an EMT so already have a ton of clinical hours PA is not a bad path too if youre interested in what they do.

Keep in mind that as a med student you will have to be selfish and can't take care of your brother at the same time.

Hello everyone, im new to the forum and wanted some advice as to what should i do.

so currently i am a junior majoring in cell biology and neuroscience at Rutgers University. i really want to go to medical school (DO/MD, it doesn't matter). My GPA as of now is a 3.4 cumulative and science. i don't have any research experience because i had have a lot of responsibilities at home involving having to take care of my special ed. brother, for whom i would go home and help with his school work. on top of that i had to work to try and pay off some of my school bills since i am from a economically challenged family. i do have some hospital volunteering hours and am currently in an EMT class and was planing of volunteering as one after i pass my state certification exam.

do you guys think that if i were to get some volunteering hours between now and graduation and raise my gpa too, i would have a shot at getting into a medical school provided i get a descent MCAT score (505+) i dont really care whether is an MD or DO program.

or maybe should i try for something else? such as PA school? i would appreciate any advice since as of now i feel lost as to what direction i should be heading towards. thank you all