Should I consider withdrawing my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tle1093

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my primary to AMCAS just a few days ago without getting my MCAT scores. Well, I got the scores back today, and I'm not happy with them at all. I got a 28O with a freaking 6 on verbal, which is worse than all my practice exams.

My question is, should I follow through with the secondaries from the bottom of my school list, or should I just withdraw the primary and try again next year? If I withdraw right now (my AMCAS isn't verified yet), would the schools consider me as a reapplicant next year?

I really should've just waited for my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my primary to AMCAS just a few days ago without getting my MCAT scores. Well, I got the scores back today, and I'm not happy with them at all. I got a 28O with a freaking 6 on verbal, which is worse than all my practice exams.

My question is, should I follow through with the secondaries from the bottom of my school list, or should I just withdraw the primary and try again next year? If I withdraw right now (my AMCAS isn't verified yet), would the schools consider me as a reapplicant next year?

I really should've just waited for my scores.

why are you so quick to throw in the towel? why dont you just retake if you are so worried about the 6 in VR. You said yourself you've never scored that before, so you likely will not do it again. Just tell the schools you will be retaking and re do it in august. You had to have rocked the other two sections to end up a 28 if you got a 6 in one section....fix your VR and you will be fine. no need to panick.

I agree with above poster. People have gotten interviews with an MCAT score below 30. So why give up? Go sign up for a retake ASAP if you still wanna be applicable for this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that 6 on the verbal is going to be a deal killer at most schools. Frankly, I don't know if you can withdraw your application and then apply the next cycle. I would be inclined to do so, if possible, and work on my verbal skills, take the MCAT again, hopefully, get that verbal to at least a 9, and then apply again. You will have a much better chance to get admitted.

Good luck.

I probably would if it were me. By the time you retake/get the scores (which is risky to begin with since you give yourself so little time to study) you will be at a significant time disadvantage (ie becoming complete in September). Do it once and do it right imo.

I personally would try again next year. I don't think it's a good idea to retake with the added pressure of secondaries (not to mention the money). Either way, you should retake to improve your score.

I personally would try again next year. I don't think it's a good idea to retake with the added pressure of secondaries (not to mention the money). Either way, you should retake to improve your score.

Agree with this, especially if you know you can do better. And if you retake this year in say, January, you'll have plenty of time to study for a retake and you'll be very early for next year's cycle. I personally only want to do this once and do it right the first time. Why waste time, energy & money & have to knock off a bunch of possible schools? Unless of course the rest of your app is stellar & you're still expecting interviews from schools on your list...

Agree with this, especially if you know you can do better. And if you retake this year in say, January, you'll have plenty of time to study for a retake and you'll be very early for next year's cycle. I personally only want to do this once and do it right the first time. Why waste time, energy & money & have to knock off a bunch of possible schools? Unless of course the rest of your app is stellar & you're still expecting interviews from schools on your list...

Most schools will not accept a January retake...but you could probably get it in before January.

Whether or not to withdraw your application depends quite a bit on what you're looking for in terms of a medical school.

Whether or not to withdraw your application depends quite a bit on what you're looking for in terms of a medical school.

I'm not sure what you mean by what I'm looking for. The best school for the score, I suppose. Now, if I choose to cancel my primary right now, would the schools I have on my list consider me as a reapplicant next cycle? My AMCAS is submitted but not yet verified. I've gotten 2 unscreened secondaries so far.

This thread might help answer the re-applicant status.

Honestly, if the MCAT is the only thing holding you back (and you're an otherwise qualified candidate) just apply whenever you think your MCAT score is high enough. That might be this year or it might be next year, but only YOU can know the answer to that question.

EDIT: Yeah, I meant "do you care if you have very few/one option or would you need to have several options to feel comfortable in your application." If you want several options, you will most assuredly need to retake.

If you retake, you're going to be pushed much further back in the app cycle. You've already paid for the primary app, so I think you should follow-up on "lower-tier" schools (even though I really don't believe any of those exist) and/or state schools. Good luck!

Being a reapplicant is not a big deal. You might be asked what you have done since your last cycle and you will have done plenty (starting with an improved MCAT).

I think that continuing with this cycle would be throwing more good money away. Save it for the second cycle.