Should I contact a recruiter before I take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the DAT at the end of June as well as applying for the 2011 cycle. My GPA is around 3.3. Should I contact a recruiter before I have a DAT score to report?

Also, if I'm a little overweight should I put off a meeting until I get back in shape? (I know I should get myself in the gym anyway!)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the DAT at the end of June as well as applying for the 2011 cycle. My GPA is around 3.3. Should I contact a recruiter before I have a DAT score to report?

Also, if I'm a little overweight should I put off a meeting until I get back in shape? (I know I should get myself in the gym anyway!)

Recruiters are there to bring people in, so they'll do everything they can to guide you to become an ideal candidate.

My advice is that if you're interested, contact a recruiter now. It will put you on the radar and give you more time to prepare a packet.

Issues like weight is not a big deal unless you're way overweight, and will be more critical at officer basic course or at your duty station.

1. Until you ARE in dental school your recruiter is not going to talk to you about being recruited as a dentist.

2. I have had experience as a health care provider in the recruit medical exam process for the Air Force. The single most common disqualifying issue is the weight of the recruit being outside the limits required by Department of Defense regulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Until you ARE in dental school your recruiter is not going to talk to you about being recruited as a dentist.

That is not true. You do not have to already be in dental school or even have an acceptance in hand. Talk to a recruiter when you are first applying for dental school, maybe even earlier. If you wait until you are accepted, you may be too late. I waited until I was accepted and it is the reason I am on the waiting list right now.

Last edited:
That is not true. You do not have to already be in dental school or even have an acceptance in hand. Talk to a recruiter when you are first applying for dental school, maybe even earlier. If you wait until you are accepted, you may be too late. I waited until I was accepted and it is the reason I am on the waiting list right now.

You are in the warmer weather now which is the prime time to get back in shape. Go ahead and contact them, but start working now to shed those pounds.

One thing to also think about is how will this play out in the future. If the extra pounds are something that you think will not be a problem in the future because you are going through a life change, then use this as a catalyst to begin that. If you feel you will be struggling with weight your whole life (it only gets tougher as you get older), you may want to think hard about the military. If you are over weight or struggle with it, it will affect opportunities for specialty training and promotion. You will also have remedial (extra) fitness training you will be required to do.

Just want you to go forward with your eyes wide open. Best of luck.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blmaleweight.htm

So when do you get tested for physical fitness if you apply for a military scholarship? If you have to get back in shape do you have a little time before you do it, or do they start you running when you turn in your application?

So when do you get tested for physical fitness if you apply for a military scholarship? If you have to get back in shape do you have a little time before you do it, or do they start you running when you turn in your application?

You don't have to pass a physical fitness test until you go to the officer basic course after you are in the program and graduate dental school. However, you do have to meet the height and weight standards which you can google search. If you don't meet them you will be taped to figure out your body fat.

One more thing to add is that you are expected to go through the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) as part of the application process. It a standard medical exam, in addition with a short test of range of motion exercises to see that you have full range...I remember doing a duck walk, arm rotations, etc.

As krmower said, the real deadline for getting in physical shape is officer basic course where you'll need to do the minimum push up, sit up and 2 mile run test.

You can talk to a recruiter now, but you can not start the processing till you have taken the DAT, you can not take a physcial untill you meet the Army weight standards. You have to meet active duty standards, which are different than applicants that are becoming enlisted soldiers.

You can find the weight standards for your age,gender and height through google.

The earlier the better to start the process.