should i continue with step 2 with a step 1 score of 205?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levothyroxine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG that scored 205 on step 1
I'm at a crossroads on whether to continue with step 2 or just pick another career option
I don't want to waste time if there is no chance for me to match next year..
What are the chances of me matching into Family, Internal, or Neuro with this score?

And one of my mom's friends said that I should go ahead anyways in order to get ECFMG certification which will be useful, so I'm confused on what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am on the same journey, so take my advice for what it is: Advice and encouragement. You have passed Step 1, which is a beast of a test. In terms of examinations, things get easier from here on. You are more likely to do much better on Step 2CK if you really work on your weaknesses. Secondly, despite everything medical students say here on SDN, their statements are still (informed) conjecture, not fact. The only fact that should matter to you is an interaction between you and a program director in an interview setting. My advice: Put your heart and soul into crushing Step 2CK, build your CV as much as you can, and give it your best shot. Many program directors look at the whole package: High-scoring psycopaths are less likely to match than okay-scoring, friendly and professional doctors. You may not match the first time, but the only way you will truly fail is if you give up.

Reactions: 1 user
I am on the same journey, so take my advice for what it is: Advice and encouragement. You have passed Step 1, which is a beast of a test. In terms of examinations, things get easier from here on. You are more likely to do much better on Step 2CK if you really work on your weaknesses. Secondly, despite everything medical students say here on SDN, their statements are still (informed) conjecture, not fact. The only fact that should matter to you is an interaction between you and a program director in an interview setting. My advice: Put your heart and soul into crushing Step 2CK, build your CV as much as you can, and give it your best shot. Many program directors look at the whole package: High-scoring psycopaths are less likely to match than okay-scoring, friendly and professional doctors. You may not match the first time, but the only way you will truly fail is if you give up.
How well do you think I should do in order to be considered for Family Medicine on Step 2 CK?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know much about the going stats for FM, but I'd recommend you aim for over 240. It's tough but doable!

I'm an IMG that scored 205 on step 1
I'm at a crossroads on whether to continue with step 2 or just pick another career option
I don't want to waste time if there is no chance for me to match next year..
What are the chances of me matching into Family, Internal, or Neuro with this score?

And one of my mom's friends said that I should go ahead anyways in order to get ECFMG certification which will be useful, so I'm confused on what to do?
Please reply, Please.
How well do you think I should do in order to be considered for Family Medicine on Step 2 CK?
Please help.
I know the only option I have is Family Medicine..
What are my chances with a Step 2 Ck above 220?
It'd be better to post this in the FM or IM forum (the WAMC thread).

The closest thing to an answer you'll find is NRMP's match data. In particular look at Charting Outcomes for IMGs (2016), but also the PD survey (2016).

This is for FM:

0HqkyjT.jpg

7QQw2oY.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said, my guess is that the best chance you have in matching is by exceeding 240 on Step 2 CK. I dont know if there's a cutoff per se. Good luck!