Should I do the minor? Help appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I was originally planning on doing a minor in Peace and Conflict Studies. However, it would require a lot of courses in my senior year in addition to my main major courses (Biology). My options right now are:

1. Muster through and pony up the cash for the credits to get the minor.
2. Do Mandarin or Japanese my senior year plus my other courses. (I have background in Mandarin and it would just be something I'd enjoy and find interesting)
3. Just do my main major courses.

Any insight into this? Do med schools like minors or additional foreign language experience? Would it make a difference? I was thinking just doing my major requirements would allow me to focus on those and maybe do more work/volunteering.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Minors mean nothing to med schools. Neither do majors really. Do what you are interested in and what is most feasible for you.

Foreign language experience is a nice small plus, though. But it should definitely not be a huge focus for your application. Work on your volunteering/shadowing/clinical experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

So I was originally planning on doing a minor in Peace and Conflict Studies. However, it would require a lot of courses in my senior year in addition to my main major courses (Biology). My options right now are:

2. Do Mandarin or Japanese my senior year plus my other courses. (I have background in Mandarin and it would just be something I'd enjoy and find interesting)

Any insight into this? Do med schools like minors or additional foreign language experience? Would it make a difference? I was thinking just doing my major requirements would allow me to focus on those and maybe do more work/volunteering.

Thanks for any advice!
Minors, or even double majors, will not make you a more desirable candidate. Fluency in other languages can be helpful provided a given school serves such non-English speaking populations in reasonable numbers.

It is most logical to complete one major and gain language fluency in other less cost-prohibitive ways.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Thanks for any advice!
Cover your arse with regards to major courses and med school pre-reqs. Beyond that, do what you enjoy. If you have a vested interest in Peace and Conflict Studies and want an in-depth study, do the minor. If you only have a few courses in that minor that interest you, then just take those. A minor isn't an ace you can hold in your pocket or anything. I picked up a Chem minor my senior year and that was an awful idea when I look back on it now. Such a large commitment of time and stress for little reward. Senior year of college is pry one of the last times you will have an entire collegiate catalog of interests at your fingertips asking for you to take advantage of them. Do it for you.

Maybe it depends on the institution.

I don't think majors/minors matter to med schools IN THAT they look at completion of pre-reqs and grades more than anything.

Beyond that, however, it seemed to me that in the interest of creating a more "diverse" class they cared, and having majors/minors beyond the typical bio, biochem, human anatomy typical pre-med majors, seemed to be a good thing for candidates.

On a more practical note, aside from just studying what makes you "passionate," I recommend majoring in something that would help you towards career goal #2. Medicine as a career doesn't always work out. I think if you can afford it, using a minor for "fun" is more appropriate. Alternately, a minor can also be in something that is another useful occupational skill. If you want a minor to be for "fun," than I recommend a foreign language if that is your thing.

A background in wet bench work, chemistry, applied physics, engineering, statistics, Spanish, French, or business major I can see being valuable in addition to an MD depending on what besides US clinical medicine you find yourself needing to do.