Should I drop a class that will lower my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 4.0 gpa, but this semester I will probably get an A- in one of my classes; that said, should I remain in the class and allow it to demolish my 4.0, or simply drop the course? (I'm taking 16 credits, and this class is 3 credits) Keep in mind that I'm probably transferring after this semester, and whether this drop in GPA, followed by a transfer, will raise any red flags...

corollary question: does an applicant with a 4.0 look that much better than an applicant with a 3.9/3.85 ?

also: my schools add/drop deadline is later, so it won't go on my record as a drop.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have a 4.0 gpa, but this semester I will probably get an A- in one of my classes; that said, should I remain in the class and allow it to demolish my 4.0, or simply drop the course? (I'm taking 16 credits, and this class is 3 credits) Keep in mind that I'm probably transferring after this semester, and whether this drop in GPA, followed by a transfer, will raise any red flags...

corollary question: does an applicant with a 4.0 look that much better than an applicant with a 3.9/3.85 ?

:laugh:

you're a douche, so it won't matter if you have a 4.0 or a 3.9:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
you're a douche, so it won't matter if you have a 4.0 or a 3.9:thumbdown:

why am I a douche? I raised a serious question, and did not expect such crude responses

To be quite frank, I think dropping a class you're pretty sure you'll get an A- in is utterly absurd. That's still an excellent grade, and I seriously doubt a drop from a 4.0 to a 3.9 will raise any flags unless you're applying to some monster school that pools the most unforgiving adcom members from WashU, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Yale. Keep the class. You'll be fine.

does an applicant with a 4.0 look that much better than an applicant with a 3.9/3.85 ?
Obviously, a 4.0 is higher than a 3.9 or 3.85, so yes, it does look better. Does that extra .1 or .15 GPA look better than it would in any other situation (e.g.: a 3.7 vs. a 3.85)? Probably not. In fact, there might be circumstances in which a 4.0 might not be viewed favorably. I don't know what your course load looks like, but if it's moderate to mild, some adcoms might take your 4.0 as a sign that you didn't challenge yourself in college. That's probably overly pessimistic, but if you're trying to get into top-tier schools, it's certainly possible.

why am I a douche? I raised a serious question, and did not expect such crude responses

Ignore jealousy and immaturity, and focus on more serious replies like the one above which I agree with. Don't drop the class, you're doing just fine. I know where you're coming from in which it would be nice to have perfection, but that is not practical here.

This kind of question might be more understandable if you were in your last semester of college and want to protect your 4.0. But, from your other posts, it sounds like you're a freshman which means your 4.0 is essentially composed of 1 semester's worth of courses. :laugh:

I've never met a physician that has received one of your so-called "A-"s. I've also never encountered one at the undergraduate or graduate level so I can only assume it is some system for marking people that don't belong in medical school. Enjoy PA school, sorry for the bad break.

This kind of question might be more understandable if you were in your last semester of college and want to protect your 4.0. But, from your other posts, it sounds like you're a freshman which means your 4.0 is essentially composed of 1 semester's worth of courses. :laugh:

:lol:

people, please! this is a very serious situation! an A- is threatening to demolish this freshman's 4.0...god forbid it drop down to...gasp...3.95!! what will he do??

people, please! this is a very serious situation! an A- is threatening to demolish this freshman's 4.0...god forbid it drop down to...gasp...3.95!! what will he do??

:laugh:

You guys are just too funny!

I'm sorry OP, but I think you were asking for it. It's like asking us poor people what you will do now that your $1,000,000 fourtune is short two dollars.

Keep the grade, it's fine. Be glad that your school gives A-'s instead of you just dropping automatically to a 3.5 as the next grade. Accept now that the odds of you graduating college with a perfect 4.0 are slim to nil, and your college life will be much more enjoyable from here on out.

Also, why drop the course and waste the $1000 or so that you paid for it? That's a lot of money, and you may as well start learning to budget now if you really desire to go to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)

lols.

also: my schools add/drop deadline is later, so it won't go on my record as a drop.

It'll look worse if you drop it. I have to eat a B in biology this semester because our professor is the lord of all douches, but that's life.

It'll look worse if you drop it. I have to eat a B in biology this semester because our professor is the lord of all douches, but that's life.

This is the real answer. If you're this far in the semester and you drop it a W is going to raise a much larger red flag than an A- (I cannot overstate that. In fact, a W would be like a glaring fire alarm at 2am, while an A- would be like your dog licking your face to wake you up.) Do not drop your course, it really would be ridiculous to do so. Trust us when we tell you that in 4 years you'll look back on this thread and laugh. :) Good luck.

Don't be ridiculous; stay in the class. I was once told that a student with a perfect GPA may actually be hurt a little in the selection process because it may look as though she/he hasn't been challenged enough. (I wouldn't attach too much weight to this comment). You shouldn't worry about a minus next to an A, or even an occasional lower grade. Really. Don't sweat it.

I would drop the class pronto. I've been hearing that if you get an A- or below just once it is "Viva en el Caribe" for you. W's are fine though.

While I feel the same way as most of the posters in here about this post, I will refrain from teasing because I have a friend who's a junior and called me crying last semester about an A-. And she is not insane, she just wants to do an MD/PhD at one of the best schools in the country and doesn't want to be limited. So I semi-get where you're coming from, poster. But I would advise you not to drop the course, especially if it's one you're going to have to take another semester if you don't do it now. A withdraw on your transcript would be fine, but if you have more than one or maybe 2 there are going to be questions. Anyway, I doubt that a 3.9-something is going to exclude you from much of anything. The first non-A is always hard, I know where you're coming from, but just grab a paper back and inhaaaale, exhaaale.

let me clarify the situation:

if i drop it now, there wont be any permanent "W" on my record, because the drop period in my school has not ended yet, thus dropping the course now would not result in any indication on my record.

as for those who are mocking me for the fact that i am not very far along in my college career, i feel your comments are unintelligent and obtuse; why give up on a 4.0 just because your not in your junior year? also, keep in mind though this is my first year in college, i am already a sophomore because i came in with a lot of credit.

Don't waste the time and money you've spent on the class. Like I said, you're still getting an excellent grade. Your life is going to suck if getting a 4.0 is all that matters.

I should just let this thread languish and quietly disappear into the SDN netherpages. Instead, I'll list some points for you to consider.

Are you going to college for grades or because you want to learn?

An "A-" isn't going to make a dent in your average by the time you accumulate enough credits to apply. You're bright. Calculate it for yourself.

When you transfer, most schools calculate your average based only on what you make at their school. You keep your credits & grades from other schools, but when it comes to calculating your average for things like honors, they only use what you get from them. So, you could make an "A-" and still be graduated with a 4.0.

No one is ever going to care about that minus except for you and one of your parents. No one. Not even admission committees.

If it's a required subject, not finishing the course will have the effect of either slowing you down, giving you a heavier load when you don't want it, or not freeing up the space to take later take a course that you would enjoy because your class load is full. Dropping isn't as free of a ride as it seems at the time.

If you DO wind up getting anything lower than an "A", at first you will be disappointed. Then you will be relieved. Once you lose the onus of feeling like your 'perfect' average is part of the definition of who you are, you are free to learn better and be less hung up about maintaining an image for yourself or your parents. You'll probably wind up being glad you got it.

If you drop a class in which you were not going to get an "A", then even if it doesn't show on your transcript, you are not really a 4.0 student.

OP, Been there. Done that. Had to make my own similar decision. I'm glad that I stuck it out. Afterward, I knew it was the right choice, even though it was painful at the time.

if you drop it, leaving you with 13 credits, are you still eligible for deans list? and what class is it?

And to the haterz, stfu, bet you didn't get a 4.0 ;)

if you drop it, leaving you with 13 credits, are you still eligible for deans list? and what class is it?

Negged!:mad:

Negged!:mad:

sh1t son, I got a 4.0 and got into harvard medical. My brain is pretty jacked with intelligence like Steven Hawking n sh1t though. I never even took classes, the Harvard Medical Dean came and talked to me after he heard my IQ. They gave me an honorary Phd there and then, begged me to teach there, couldnt afford my ***. :mad:

While I get where you're coming from since I am as neurotic about that kind of stuff as you are (there are only 3 grades: A, A-, and failing), asking for advice on a public forum exemplifies my problem with pre-meds. Don't pose personal questions to which you need objective answers to a forum, especially if they can be perceived as showing off. Either you are trying to show off your 4.0 (as a freshman) or you are legitimately asking for personal advice from definitively impersonal and (sometimes) unreliable sources. Go ask your dean or pre-med advisor or major advisor or parents or dog or invisible friend named bob this question (or decide for yourself).

sh1t son, I got a 4.0 and got into harvard medical. My brain is pretty jacked with intelligence like Steven Hawking n sh1t though. I never even took classes, the Harvard Medical Dean came and talked to me after he heard my IQ. They gave me an honorary Phd there and then, begged me to teach there, couldnt afford my ***. :mad:

I nominate this for post of the year.:thumbup:

I don't know about all you guys, but I was heartbroken when I got my first A-. I couldn't sleep right for a whole week. Then I started hating myself. But maybe thats just me.

honestly, i think an A- shows character. uve worked hard and ur gpa showcases that. A 4.0 vs a 3.9 r both ridiculously high. nobody is perfect and dropping a class where you could learn a lot just to avoid an A- isnt the right attitude to have going into medicine...where u can also be really good and invitably have something not go right. I really dont think any school will consider a 3.9+ gpa any different than a 4.0. (ive also got a 3.9+ gpa and some B+'s on my transcript which im proud of. they havent kept me from getting in somewhere)
enjoy the rest of the semester, get your A- (or B+ or A) in the class, and know that ur gpa is still amazing.

lmao! oh hai guise :)

Jesus Christ! I am so glad I'm not premed anymore. I can't believe I was ever this freaking annoying. And I'm not jealous. I had a 3.98. Get over yourself. Oh, and by the way, be prepared to have a very stressful college career and life if you are this anal.

Jesus Christ! I am so glad I'm not premed anymore. I can't believe I was ever this freaking annoying. And I'm not jealous. I had a 3.98. Get over yourself. Oh, and by the way, be prepared to have a very stressful college career and life if you are this anal.

The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
Arrogance is a nice trait.

I'm not focusing on things that don't matter, I'm focusing on getting into med school; if that doesn't matter, than nothing here does, and this entire forum should rot in the flames of futility. I understand the message you're trying to convey, namely, not to get caught up in grades, and that there are other things that matter far more, and I do not dispute you're recommendations; however, there is a certain degree of selfishness and perfectionism that must be exercised in order to succeed in this bitter game of endless attrition. I then, my friend, pity people like you, who cannot understand that in life, one should strive to create the best possible image for himself, not only to succeed, but to feel good about one's self. Granted, grades should not be the only source of happiness, but it certainly can play a part in it, especially for a pre-med. People like you, who try to give off the impression that they are some sort of divine altruist, untainted by any worldly and mundane concerns such as grades, piss the hell out of me.

5 stars, would read again

427969@N23.jpg
427969@N23.jpg
427969@N23.jpg
427969@N23.jpg
427969@N23.jpg

This is hilarious, you are a first year student with a 4.0 in one semester of freshman/sophomore coursework.

Keep the A-, you may not realize it yet, but once you start adding on all the extracurricular work, research, volunteering it takes to get into medical school, and once you get into upper level classes, keeping that 4.0 will seem to matter very little.