Should I even be premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
About every two weeks.
No sex or gender is immune.

Is this an auto-reject? Or do you give them the BOD if they can clean their **** up and continue on with the interview?

So what overcomes a "deal-breaker" then?

"I know he might kind of socially ******ed but.....that MCAT tho."
We are looking for very good to excellent social skills. The absence of which amounts to a waste of a fine MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
We are looking for very good to excellent social skills. The absence of which amounts to a waste of a fine MCAT.

What if ECs/employment history already indicate solid social skills, but the interview just went bad?

If the LOE's were enough, we wouldn't need interviews.

Yeah but what if we just don't click? Like you're not my type, and it just happens to be awkward between us for this particular exchange.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but what if we just don't click? Like you're not my type, and it just happens to be awkward between us for this particular exchange.
what if you don't click with a patient and they're just not your type

We are looking for people for who can easily relate to all kinds and be awkward as little as possible.
If the behavior sample in the the interview is not desirable there is an increased likelihood of awkwardness in other interactions.

We are looking for people for who can easily relate to all kinds and be awkward as little as possible.
If the behavior sample in the the interview is not desirable there is an increased likelihood of awkwardness in other interactions.

Seriously do a study on this. You're in a perfect position to do so. I'd certainly be interested in the results.

I'll try not to be awkward gyngyn. But I swear, sometimes it can be unavoidable with certain people, or just certain conversations with people who are usually not awkward. I give myself a 5% chance this will happen at an interview, though, so I think I'm good.

Seriously do a study on this. You're in a perfect position to do so. I'd certainly be interested in the results.

I'll try not to be awkward gyngyn. But I swear, sometimes it can be unavoidable with certain people, or just certain conversations with people who are usually not awkward. I give myself a 5% chance this will happen at an interview, though, so I think I'm good.
I do study it.
Every year I watch to see where the very awkward waitlisted students are accepted.
They can get into some very fine schools.

@gyngyn
So do you think a person who goes off on random tangents sometimes is a negative in the interview cycle?

@gyngyn
So do you think a person who goes off on random tangents sometimes is a negative in the interview cycle?
It can be, but the interviewer should be trained to pull you back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Varies on the format.
MMI's can have an "interview" station.
Traditional individual interviews vary between 30 minutes to an hour.
So for MMI apart from that one interview station, the rest of the questions are not directed toward the application?

Varies on the format.
MMI's can have an "interview" station.
Traditional individual interviews vary between 30 minutes to an hour.

That sounds reasonable. I thought it was gonna be like 2hrs or something.

Do you have comfortable chairs? Should I move the chairs? I mean like, if they're kind of far away, exactly how close to your desk should I pull them? Should I ever touch your desk? Like say the chair is right at your desk. Is it ok to put my arms on your desk as I am making an emphatic point complete with hand waving?

That sounds reasonable. I thought it was gonna be like 2hrs or something.

Do you have comfortable chairs? Should I move the chairs? I mean like, if they're kind of far away, exactly how close to your desk should I pull them? Should I ever touch your desk? Like say The chair is right at your desk. Is it ok to put my arms on your desk as I am making an emphatic point complete with hand waving?

I've had 3 consecutive 1 hour interviews. Truly the time of my life.

Were they MMIs or personal one-on-ones?

Mono a Mono. MMIs last like maybe 5 minutes and you cycle through 12ish interviewers, with varying degrees of, uh, affect regarding the topic. I had an MMI interviewer outright say after the first 30 seconds he thought the topic was boring and stupid then start asking where I was from and how my day was going.

The 3 consecutives weren't as bad as i'm saying they were but man in retrospect the second interviewer really wanted me to say I played a sport. That should've been a hint.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Mono a Mono. MMIs last like maybe 5 minutes and you cycle through 12ish interviewers, with varying degrees of, uh, affect regarding the topic. I had an MMI interviewer outright say after the first 30 seconds he thought the topic was boring and stupid then start asking where I was from and how my day was going.

That is so awesome.

They weren't as bad as i'm saying they were but man in retrospect the second interviewer really wanted me to say I played a sport. That should've been a hint.

I'm kind of muscular so I could probably get off saying I wrestle. I'm just not gigantic enough to say I honestly play college FB.

The 3 consecutives weren't as bad as i'm saying they were but man in retrospect the second interviewer really wanted me to say I played a sport. That should've been a hint.
Which school was this

Which school was this

MMI was SUNY Upstate.

At lunch, someone in admissions was giving us a briefing on how long it would take to hear back, etc. She was describing how they just pool all the applicants together. I asked whether or not OOS students were considered in a separate pool or it was just another considered a factor. She outright told me that being OOS has absolutely 0 effect on my chances to get in and I would be considered on a completely equal basis with all other instate students. I smiled, nodded, thanked her, and thought "No way in hell thats true."

So for MMI apart from that one interview station, the rest of the questions are not directed toward the application?
Even the interviewer at the "interview" station may have no information regarding the application.

Even the interviewer at the "interview" station may have no information regarding the application.
I meant would some stations ask standard application questions even if it's closed file? Like would we be expected to talk about a challenge we faced for 8 minutes...

I meant would some stations ask standard application questions even if it's closed file? Like would we be expected to talk about a challenge we faced for 8 minutes...
That would defeat the purpose of the "free speech" station, but I guess it could certainly happen.

It's a car, not a family member!
I was kidding. My sense of humor does not come across well online - it requires that people be able to see my facial expressions!

However, most men I know would disagree with you about a car not being a family member!