Should I give up med school?(I need some advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dck8511

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I need some advice on my GPA in college and status as a premed.
I'm currently a sophomore at Brandeis University. I'm majoring in Neuroscience and Biology with minor in Philosophy.
To get right to the point, I have a 3.2 GPA right now which is very poor. I've been doing poorly in Gen Chem and Orgo Chem. Here's a breakdown of my premed courses' grades
Gen Chem 1: B Gen Chem 2: C
Orgo Chem 1: B Orgo Chem 2: B or B-
Bio 14:B+ Bio 15:A-
Calc: B or B-
I honestly dont really have excuses for my bad grades in chemistry courses. I did really poorly in the second semester of Gen Chem because I overloaded myself with work. Also, I have never been a strong chemistry/math person.
Going to med school has been my dream since high school and now I'm not sure what to do. I still want to go but Im not sure if Im qualified enough. Should I give up my dream?
I'm gonna try really hard and prob even study during summer but I cant make any empty promises to do well in my science classes for the remaining 2 years because its not gonna get any easier.
Please give me some advice guys....

Members don't see this ad.

Hold your horses, relax and take a breath. You still have 2 years of undergrad left and if you get 4.0s from here on out (hopefully) you will graduate with a 3.6. I had issues like you in freshmen year but you need to figure out how you learn more efficiently.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, the hardest ones are over with... you could probably bring it up to 3.4 if you manage to get mostly A's from here on.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you get 4.0s from here on out (hopefully) you will graduate with a 3.6..

you could probably bring it up to 3.4 if you manage to get mostly A's from here on.

I've never understood this logic. If you have been getting ~3.2 you will probably continue to get that unless you do something about it. As @Knicks17 mentioned you have to figure out what the problem is an address it, but banking on pulling up your GPA by getting "all A's from here on out" when that is something you have not demonstrated the ability to do is foolish. Obviously its not impossible, but you have to figure out how to make it happen.

Reactions: 4 users
I've never understood this logic. If you have been getting ~3.2 you will probably continue to get that unless you do something about it. As @Knicks17 mentioned you have to figure out what the problem is an address it, but banking on pulling up your GPA by getting "all A's from here on out" when that is something you have not demonstrated the ability to do is foolish. Obviously its not impossible, but you have to figure out how to make it happen.

I don't disagree but you have to take into account that he took most of hard classes after just 2 years. I'm willing to bet that if he puts in the same Amount of effort in the other Bio's that he's likely to take later on (which in my opinion are much easier than the chemistries), he'll probably pull several A's. I'm not saying his method is flawless, I'm just saying it might be enough... it's not like he failed his way through these classes.

Hold your horses, relax and take a breath. You still have 2 years of undergrad left and if you get 4.0s from here on out (hopefully) you will graduate with a 3.6. I had issues like you in freshmen year but you need to figure out how you learn more efficiently.
Im just freaking out because everyone has been telling me how I need to get 3.6+ to get into med schools. I'm sort of having an identity crisis now that I'm having difficulty of the path I have chosen. Can I still get into med schools with like 3.3~3.4 GPA?

Im just freaking out because everyone has been telling me how I need to get 3.6+ to get into med schools. I'm sort of having an identity crisis now that I'm having difficulty of the path I have chosen. Can I still get into med schools with like 3.3~3.4 GPA?
That's just not true.

You CAN but the probability is significantly lower. If you're having an "identity crisis" as you say you need to sit down and figure out what the hell it is you want to do. If you know you truly want to go into medicine figure out what you need to do to make it happen. That does include figuring out what you have to do to raise your GPA.

yes you can still get in with a 3.3 or 3.4. what is your race?
if you have excellent and unique EC or an interesting life story, that will help.
crush the mcat/ make a good school list and it is possible

Yea I understand what youre saying. Thats why I said I cant make empty promises to get good grades in science classes for the remaining years. Im definitely gonna work even harder than the last 2 years. Thats the thing tho. Its not like I didnt try hard. I worked hard and I still got bad grades which prob means theres something wrong with my method or im just stupid.

yes you can still get in with a 3.3 or 3.4. what is your race?
if you have excellent and unique EC or an interesting life story, that will help.
crush the mcat/ make a good school list and it is possible
I dont think race will help me with anything... I'm korean and I moved to US in 8th grade which makes me sorta international but I have green card and Ill have citizenship by the time I graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
@dck8511 Just focus on why you're not doing well in sciences and work on improving your studying now. There's no need to give up on medical school, you can repair your GPA as you move forward if you figure out how to work hard and study efficiently. These are skills you will need in medical school as well. You don't have to make a decision about this now, but you do have to be honest with yourself about why you're not performing as well as you want to. You don't have an MCAT score yet either, so you're not even close to making the decision to apply or not.

Just relax, people routinely make it to medical school after much bigger deficits than you are facing right now. Focus on good grades and study habits one semester st a time and give it your all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yea I understand what youre saying. Thats why I said I cant make empty promises to get good grades in science classes for the remaining years. Im definitely gonna work even harder than the last 2 years. Thats the thing tho. Its not like I didnt try hard. I worked hard and I still got bad grades which prob means theres something wrong with my method or im just stupid.
Then don't keep banging your head against a wall. Work smarter, not harder. Figure out what you're doing wrong or what you could be doing more efficiently. Talk to some friends who seem to have an easier time doing well in classes and see what they do.

@21Rush12 @aprilfools
I'll definitely figure out how to improve over this summer. I might as well review the textbook or something by myself for physics next year. Is that doable?
Also, what did you guys do for extracurricular activities back in college? I've been working at a hospital and also worked as a research assistant at a neurophysiology lab along with club activities but I feel like thats what everyone does. What are some things I can do to stand out in ECs?

OP I had a 3.2 GPA my first two years also and finished junior/senior with a 3.85. My AMCAS Gpa ended up being ~3.5-3.6 for cGPA and sGPA. I got an average MCAT score and got into plenty of medical schools.

Worry about what you can contRol in life. Do the best you can the next two years and you'll be okay. Everyone loves an upward trend. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
For ECs do what you like! You know about volunteering and clinical exposure and maybe research, so the rest of it just live life. Standing out in ECs isn't necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP I had a 3.2 GPA my first two years also and finished junior/senior with a 3.85. My AMCAS Gpa ended up being ~3.5-3.6 for cGPA and sGPA. I got an average MCAT score and got into plenty of medical schools.

Worry about what you can contRol in life. Do the best you can the next two years and you'll be okay. Everyone loves an upward trend. Good luck!

Upward trend is keyyyyyy.

Reactions: 2 users
Doing meh in Orgo is very common. That's why it's a weeding course. Many people have a dip in their GPas during sophomore year due to this. U- or V-shaped GPA trends are also very common, and at many med schools, the median sGPA is 0.1 lower than is cGPA...all thanks to Orgo!

So quit fussing.

Go visit your school's learning or education center for help with learning style, time mgt, etc.

Hi, guys. I need some advice on my GPA in college and status as a premed.
I'm currently a sophomore at Brandeis University. I'm majoring in Neuroscience and Biology with minor in Philosophy.
To get right to the point, I have a 3.2 GPA right now which is very poor. I've been doing poorly in Gen Chem and Orgo Chem. Here's a breakdown of my premed courses' grades
Gen Chem 1: B Gen Chem 2: C
Orgo Chem 1: B Orgo Chem 2: B or B-
Bio 14:B+ Bio 15:A-
Calc: B or B-
I honestly dont really have excuses for my bad grades in chemistry courses. I did really poorly in the second semester of Gen Chem because I overloaded myself with work. Also, I have never been a strong chemistry/math person.
Going to med school has been my dream since high school and now I'm not sure what to do. I still want to go but Im not sure if Im qualified enough. Should I give up my dream?
I'm gonna try really hard and prob even study during summer but I cant make any empty promises to do well in my science classes for the remaining 2 years because its not gonna get any easier.
Please give me some advice guys....

I want to get into MD schools:(
I got into an MD school with ~3.15 gpa and a good MCAT, granted I took two gap years and had a unique story to tell. Stats aren't everything, man.

Reactions: 1 users
I was talking theoritcally first 2 years of undergrad 3.2 assuming (64 credits) plus next 2 years of UG (64 credits) can get you to the 3.6 mark.

I got into an MD school with ~3.15 gpa and a good MCAT, granted I took two gap years and had a unique story to tell. Stats aren't everything, man.
Whats your story?

You really only have one more year to figure it out. It is quite possible that you are not cut out for medical school. Work your ass off until you finish your junior year. If you are not getting significantly better grades and have an upward trend, it is time to reevaluate your life choices and see where to go from there (with med school not being one of them). If you are getting better grades, take the MCAT and see how you do.

But right now there is nothing you can do outside of try harder.

What did you do during gap years?

I worked as a research assistant and had enough time (because I wasn't constantly studying like in undergrad) to volunteer in a few different programs that I was passionate about. Got some nice publications to show for it and a ton of volunteer hours, by far made me a better candidate and person.

1. See if there's any way possible to lighten your load. Can you take fewer classes next semester by taking courses that are "easy" for you over the summer, say at a local community college? Could you work more in summers and less now?
  2. Does your school offer free tutoring? Take advantage of that. Also go to the learning center for help with time management, etc.
  3. See if you can find solutions manuals for chem and math workbooks. Maybe other students will purchase one manual with you and you can share it to save $$.
  4. There's lots of online chem resources through Kahn Academy and ALEKS. the PhotoMath app saves lives. Retake an online chem or physics course over the summer if you think it could help refresh.
  5. Find some impressive volunteer or shadowing opportunities over the summer. You need these to make up for the GPA. Use your connections, plead the heck out of people for shadowing, go on medical missions trips, help at a low income clinic in your town,be a research assistant, heck, candy stripe at a local hospital and tell people you shadowed surgeons. You've just got to paint yourself as the best candidate. Try anything.
    I hope these helped! They're just some tips that worked for me so far and for fellow students I know who are already in med school. Best of luck!