General Admissions & OTCAS Should I give up on OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msuotwannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’d really appreciate some honesty because I’m already feeling very discouraged. I am currently a sophomore in college and I’m really struggling to keep my grades up. I’ve already received two 2.0s (Cs) in my required math classes and a 1.5 (CD) in chemistry my freshman year. I will retake chemistry this summer, but I was disheartened to find out that OTCAS will not replace grades like my university. This semester, I believe I can end anatomy with a 3.0 (B), but I will likely get 2.5s (CBs) in two other classes that are more demanding than I anticipated. I currently have a 2.9 GPA and I will likely get a 3.0 or slightly below this semester. I am confident I can bring it up to a 3.0+ by application time, but then what? Most people seem to have a 3.6+ in their last 60 units.

I really, really want to be an OT. I love going to my observation hours and I can’t imagine doing anything else. I participate in lots of ECs to offset my GPA, but I already understand that it likely won’t be enough. I like the idea of reapplying after my senior year (more time to bring that GPA up!) but I do not want to spend 3+ years reapplying, and I don’t want to be stuck with two degrees (I’m studying psychology and kinesiology) that will not land me a job if OT doesn’t work out. School is just really hard for me.

I want to keep telling myself that if I schedule my classes better and take some summer classes, it might balance out my last 60 GPA. Or if I get 200-300 shadowing hours, it’ll make me stand out as an applicant. I really want to believe I can do it, guys. But realistically, I know how insanely competitive OT is and GPA will make or break me. Should I just try to find another field of work? Should I keep trying? Please help. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you will be fine. Make sure you study for your GRE, volunteer, get great people to write your LOR, and apply to more schools to increase your chances.

I’d really appreciate some honesty because I’m already feeling very discouraged. I am currently a sophomore in college and I’m really struggling to keep my grades up. I’ve already received two 2.0s (Cs) in my required math classes and a 1.5 (CD) in chemistry my freshman year. I will retake chemistry this summer, but I was disheartened to find out that OTCAS will not replace grades like my university. This semester, I believe I can end anatomy with a 3.0 (B), but I will likely get 2.5s (CBs) in two other classes that are more demanding than I anticipated. I currently have a 2.9 GPA and I will likely get a 3.0 or slightly below this semester. I am confident I can bring it up to a 3.0+ by application time, but then what? Most people seem to have a 3.6+ in their last 60 units.

I really, really want to be an OT. I love going to my observation hours and I can’t imagine doing anything else. I participate in lots of ECs to offset my GPA, but I already understand that it likely won’t be enough. I like the idea of reapplying after my senior year (more time to bring that GPA up!) but I do not want to spend 3+ years reapplying, and I don’t want to be stuck with two degrees (I’m studying psychology and kinesiology) that will not land me a job if OT doesn’t work out. School is just really hard for me.

I want to keep telling myself that if I schedule my classes better and take some summer classes, it might balance out my last 60 GPA. Or if I get 200-300 shadowing hours, it’ll make me stand out as an applicant. I really want to believe I can do it, guys. But realistically, I know how insanely competitive OT is and GPA will make or break me. Should I just try to find another field of work? Should I keep trying? Please help. :(
The reason grades matter is because grad school is nothing like undergrad... if you are already struggling with sophomore level classes, taking anatomy and kines at the grad level will be 3 times as tough. Your overall GPA doesn’t define you.. but know going in that these classes require us to basically study from wake up to sleeping during the first semester of school. It’s super intense.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If you really want to become an OT then you should try your best to do well and apply to a lot of schools. Many schools look at over all applications vs just the GPA it’s self. Even if you take a year off to strengthen your application and do more volunteer hours after graduation it won’t hurt you. I would suggest not giving up yet, if you really want it you will be able to achieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are schools that only look at the last 60 hours. If you’re open about the location of school then there are a lot of programs that don’t use OTCAS for their application. That may be beneficial to you and they generally do get less applications if it’s a smaller school that doesn’t use OTCAS. Don’t give up. Have a plan for if it doesn’t work on getting into OT schools. You’ll have to have a very strong personal statement and LORs to really stand out. You could also always look into OTA and see if that interests you based on their qualifications to get into programs.

Top of my head Dyouville did not have super high GPA requirements and did not participate in OTCAS. Research schools that do not participate in OTCAS, that average last 60 etc.

I understand that you want to be an OT but don't go to a super expensive school with 100k tuition. The income is not worth it.

You can always become a COTA.

Take a gap year or two to bring up your pre-req GPA to 4.0. I took a gap year (almost two because I graduated early) and used the time to take pre-req at cc's since they are a lot cheaper, and do observation hours). EC's are good, but only when your GPA or GRE can support them. If you can't raise your GPA, then do super well on GRE since I believe these two are the most important factors. I didn't do whole lot of observation (192 hours at Pediatrics).

Look into the COTA route or transfer to a BS/MS program. As long as you keep a 3.0, you'll be able to advance to the professional part of the program

Grades are not everything, I withdrew from 2 courses, and had a C in about 3 of my courses. The trick is making sure all of your prerequisites are good grades. I had a rough transition into college too but with the help of my professors and some new study habits I graduated with a 3.5. To prove that grades aren't everything I was accepted to BU, the top OT school with these grades. Work on making yourself unique doing research or volunteering! Don't give up, you are so young and have half of your college career to go. You got this!

Grades are not everything, I withdrew from 2 courses, and had a C in about 3 of my courses. The trick is making sure all of your prerequisites are good grades. I had a rough transition into college too but with the help of my professors and some new study habits I graduated with a 3.5. To prove that grades aren't everything I was accepted to BU, the top OT school with these grades. Work on making yourself unique doing research or volunteering! Don't give up, you are so young and have half of your college career to go. You got this!

Also OTCAS has a place for you to explain any low grades, I explained how I had poor study habits coming into college but learned to change them.

Also OTCAS has a place for you to explain any low grades, I explained how I had poor study habits coming into college but learned to change them.
This is awesome to know! Thank you so much. I was pursuing a dual degree in psychology and kinesiology - recently I have decided to study just psychology. I believe that this will allow greatly improve my GPA, and I'll likely write about how I overestimated my ability to handle two programs at once. Thanks again.

Forget COTA. The pay is terrible, and you need a degree to do it. You're better off getting another job and building your OT school qualifications.

My advice would be to do your best while youre in undergrad, take a gap year or two to improve and then apply.

I did not have the best freshman year. I had an F in applied anatomy and a C in intro to psych. I know this feeling, and ended up changing my major to health admin. After graduating I realized I still wanted to do OT and began the process. I was working full time saving money, taking my classes at CC to better my GPA, volunteered and shadowed. I was able to bring my GPA from a 3.27 to a 3.34! Now I am receiving acceptances and hearing from schools. By the time I start I will be two yeras out of undergrad but would not change that either way. Take your time. You are still young and have time to do this.

Last edited:
My advice would be to do your best while youre in undergrad, take a gap year or two to improve and then apply.

I did not have the best freshman year. I had an F in applied anatomy and a C in intro to psych. I know this feeling, and ended up changing my major to health admin. After graduating I realized I still wanted to do OT and began the process. I was working full time saving money, taking my classes at CC to better my GPA, volunteered and shadowed. I was able to bring my GPA from a 3.27 to a 3.34! Now I am receiving acceptances and hearing from schools. By the time I start I will be two yeras out of undergrad but would not change that either way. Take your time. You are still young and have time to do this.

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply. :) I've done a lot of soul searching since my original post and decided to move past my rough start and keep pursuing OT. :)

Don't be discouraged! If OT is your dream job and what you are passionate about..then don't give up!

Here are my suggestions:
- You still have a couple years to boost up your GPA. Examine how everything looks the end of junior year/beginning of senior year. If you think you have a chance..apply!! If not, then think about taking a gap year or COTA before applying.
- Research what schools you are interested in and see if the program let's you repeat a class in order to get a higher grade. Some programs will let you, but every program is different!!
- Study hard and do well on the GRE
- Get really good LOR

You can do this!!

Yes I think if anything being a COTA first will look really good on your application to OT school to make up for the GPA