Should I go to remaining interviews? Va Tech, WVU, NYMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
U Maryland - Accepted
Penn State - Awaiting decision
Va tech - II
WVU - II
NYMC - II

At this point, my reasons to continue interviewing is:
1) Financial/scholarship offers (but that’s in Spring)
2) Higher ranked schools
3) Curriculum & atmosphere (would I be happy living and learning here?)

Given the above, is there a point to going to these other interviews? I wasn’t planning on going to Penn State b/c of lower ranking+higher OOS tuition, but the experience was unexpectedly rewarding (great atmosphere, support, etc). IDK much about the remaining 3, so advice from current students or people who have interviewed here is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like WVU is waitlisting tons of OOS folks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You are in a nice position, with the acceptance, where it can become more about 'going where you want to go' than just 'getting into school.'

Look at the schools you have interviews at, and if there is any situation where you see yourself going there over Maryland, then go to the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Find the least expensive place you'll be happy at as a student with good opportunities. All of the schools you listed are able to provide their students with opportunities with great match lists to back that up. You're in a great position - just interview at the ones you think could be better than UMD and cancel the rest

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

U Maryland - Accepted
Penn State - Awaiting decision
Va tech - II
WVU - II
NYMC - II

At this point, my reasons to continue interviewing is:
1) Financial/scholarship offers (but that’s in Spring)
2) Higher ranked schools
3) Curriculum & atmosphere (would I be happy living and learning here?)

Given the above, is there a point to going to these other interviews? I wasn’t planning on going to Penn State b/c of lower ranking+higher OOS tuition, but the experience was unexpectedly rewarding (great atmosphere, support, etc). IDK much about the remaining 3, so advice from current students or people who have interviewed here is appreciated.
I think that you're fine with U MD. If you're from the MD area, then UWV might be worth going to....ditto Va Tech. I can't recommend Penn State.

WVU has waitlisted every OOS interviewer on these forums (>20). They also said they don’t really have any financial aid opportunities unless you do the rural track program, and even then it was still only an opportunity and was tied to future service in WV.

I think that you're fine with U MD. If you're from the MD area, then UWV might be worth going to....ditto Va Tech. I can't recommend Penn State.

What's rotten in Penn State, Goro?

If I personally were making the decision I would at least go check out Va Tech. The small class size is appealing as is Roanoke, also their research emphasis could really help you put together a killer residency app. Of course there isn't really a wrong decision here, as MD is a great school and you would still be in a great position if you just called it a day and didn't go to another interview.

Congrats, you have options and I don't think you can make a bad decision here.

Reactions: 1 user