Should I keep trying for OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lOuDMoUTH

Sting like a butterfly. Float like a bee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know asking this question is like beating a dead horse, but hey, where else will I get a straight forward answer? Currently a D2, at a state school (if that matters), and trying to see if I should keep putting the effort in towards getting into either a 4 or 6 yr OMFS program. I know the first 2 yrs are critical to establishing your GPA and class rank, but unfortunately, my first semester did not go as planned. GPA was garbage the first semester of my D1 year, then as spring semester rolled around, something just hit me, and I actually felt like I wanted to be more than just a dentist (although I certainly don't mind general dentistry). I'm beyond disappointed in myself for having such an abysmal GPA my first semester but, wallowing in self-pity won't help me move forward so I gave the second semester all I had. I know the program is grueling, but I have this unrelenting drive that got me thru spring semester and now hopefully for the next year and a half. The more I researched OMFS, the more I fell in love with it. It's not even the private practice I see myself doing, but more of the craniofacial trauma, the puzzles, that I really love. Having something new come into your room, presenting a complex but interesting challenge is amazing. In a way, I really can't see myself turning back to general practice, but my GPA and class ranking are turning my head away from OMFS, so here I am....

Stats:
D1 fall = -
D1 spring = -
D2 cumulative = -
Class rank (current) = top 40%

Sorry for the long-winded background, but my questions are.....

1. Chances for getting into any OMFS program with my stats?

2. Does showing dramatic improvement in GPA matter to programs?

3. If I don't match, then how difficult is it to get into a good internship program?

4. Will a good internship year improve my chances dramatically?

My bad if there any grammatical errors, typing this up on my phone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hit up the cbse brah

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, you're still early. What's done is done.
Keep working hard now, and aim for a 4.0 gpa every semester, crush the cbse, and see where you're at in a few years.
If u need to do an intern year, so be it, not the end of the world.

Sure, you're still early. What's done is done.
Keep working hard now, and aim for a 4.0 gpa every semester, crush the cbse, and see where you're at in a few years.
If u need to do an intern year, so be it, not the end of the world.
Just do well on the CBSE and get good letters. You may have to do an internship. Don’t give up, it’s worth it.
Appreciate the response! If all goes well, and I somehow end up with a GPA >3.9 (D2 yr), some good recs, a decent CBSE, and research w/ community service, would that be enough to get a spot at least at a good internship program? Also, does the program itself matter?

And by crushing the CBSE, what type a score are we talking? >75?

Appreciate the response! If all goes well, and I somehow end up with a GPA >3.9 (D2 yr), some good recs, a decent CBSE, and research w/ community service, would that be enough to get a spot at least at a good internship program? Also, does the program itself matter?

And by crushing the CBSE, what type a score are we talking? >75?

Try to get a CBSE score >70 (higher the better). Don’t worry too much about research. Focus on the CBSE and letters.

Good for you for continuing to work hard. I like how you didn't make any excuses about your first semester either. You'll see it over and over where people during their 3rd year of dental school say "I wanted to do OMS, but ___________." There's a picture hanging around the OMS resident room saying "don't try, do." If you can continue to show the same attitude and dedication, you'll be an oral & maxillofacial surgeon soon enough. Break into the top 1/3 of your class, that would be a good initial goal (of course, higher is better). 70+ CBSE will make you competitive. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Hell yeah! I'm rooting for you!

Take a look at the OMFS boards. It’s not just trauma. See if you are interested in all those other topics. Then discard the rest of dentistry.

Thought I'd come back to this thread to give it some closure. I appreciate everyone in this thread and in the sdn forum that has provided me (and many others) with advice and guidance.

One thing is for sure.....No matter what, hard work ALWAYS pays off.

Matched into OMFS this month, and this forum reminded me of a time where I was scared and HIGHLY doubted in my capabilities of EVER becoming an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon.

Cheers to grit and perseverance!

Reactions: 21 users
Thought I'd come back to this thread to give it some closure. I appreciate everyone in this thread and in the sdn forum that has provided me (and many others) with advice and guidance.

Matched into OMFS this month, and this forum reminded me of a time where I was scared and HIGHLY doubted in my capabilities of EVER becoming an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon.

if you don't mind, could you please share your stats at the end and what you've done to overcome your D1-D2 year? Thanks!

if you don't mind, could you please share your stats at the end and what you've done to overcome your D1-D2 year? Thanks!
Sure, I posted on this thread:

Thank you! Congratulations on matching and best of luck on residency. Also thank you for updating your post it's nice to get closure on one of these posts haha

You are an inspiration! Keep grinding and congratulations!!

Just wanted to say you're a legend man. I finished my first semester of D1 with pretty meh grades but I'm fighting to do better from now on. I don't think I'd want to do OMFS but I wanna do a solid AEGD/GPR to learn OS, endo, and other speciality procedures. But I realize that to get into a AEGD/GPR like that I need a solid GPA so I'm going to use you as inspiration.

Nothing but respect for keeping it real man, I feel like SDN doesn't have many amazing comeback stories so it's great to hear them. Goodluck with OMFS my guy.

Congrats and keep working your tail off.

Bob