Should I push back my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sellpa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you haven't started reviewing, you're effectively giving yourself a month to study for the MCAT. Why didn't you start earlier? Do you want to sabotage yourself by having an entirely good application but a garbo MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine pushing it back to June. DO application process is longer. I would have everything finished by mid-end August, including submitted secondaries.

I literally was just in this situation. I decided to push it back so I didn't have to study for the MCAT during finals. I feel really good about the situation. It is mostly up to you though, if you just started preparing them I would push it to June. Put in the time and get a 505+ and you will be competative at all DO schools

You should start your applications when the cycle opens and it will take a month to get transcripts in, things verified, rec letters, etc. Your application would be complete in ~June but waiting on MCAT and you'd have potentially secondaries coming in. If you took the MCAT in mid-June it would be released ~mid-July. That would be early in the cycle still and you update your application and it notifies schools of your MCAT. It's a risk doing it that way, because if you bomb the MCAT you really won't have time to retake as schools you applied to may eliminate you, but with 4 months of studying just DON'T.

Best of Luck

Reactions: 1 user