Should I really give up on medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyPerson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m usually not put down by others but my premed advisor really hurt me. I graduated 2 years ago with a bachelors in biology with a cumulative gpa of 3.46 and a amcas science gpa of 3.13 and aacomas science gpa of 3.21. I have thousands of hours of scribing, medical assitant, community volunteering, etc. I taught science at a TITLE III school for underserved communities for a year. And I have a really passionate and from my heart mission for medicine which I won’t go into detail here. I took the MCAT during the COVID pandemic year and at the same time I was teaching, so I sort of underestimated the exam and didn’t study as well, I got a 494. I’m am currently retaking and I have been studying for around 5 months now, I average 510-512 on practice exams.

Sorry for the long post, I’ll get to the point. My pre-med advisor is telling me to give up on medicine and it’s really putting me down. Do I really have no chances? I’m not gonna give up and am willing to go back to school for a post-bac or masters or whatever I need to do to accomplish my goals. Can I apply with my current stats if I get a great score on my MCAT retake, I’m a Michigan resident and want to stay in Michigan, but am also willing to move anywhere and either MD or DO.

I would appreciate any feedback, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a premed so don't take my word for it but I see plenty of people with stats like yours and a great MCAT getting acceptances. Probably would help if you are URM as well, and of course choose your school list wisely.

Reactions: 1 user
Your pre-med advisor sux! If you hit your practice exam average on the MCAT retake, you can apply for DO schools. If you do a PB to increase the GPAs, then you have a shot at both MDs and DOs also. Masters GPA are not calculated into the AMCAS GPA, only undergraduate courses.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I’m usually not put down by others but my premed advisor really hurt me. I graduated 2 years ago with a bachelors in biology with a cumulative gpa of 3.46 and a amcas science gpa of 3.13 and aacomas science gpa of 3.21. I have thousands of hours of scribing, medical assitant, community volunteering, etc. I taught science at a TITLE III school for underserved communities for a year. And I have a really passionate and from my heart mission for medicine which I won’t go into detail here. I took the MCAT during the COVID pandemic year and at the same time I was teaching, so I sort of underestimated the exam and didn’t study as well, I got a 494. I’m am currently retaking and I have been studying for around 5 months now, I average 510-512 on practice exams.

Sorry for the long post, I’ll get to the point. My pre-med advisor is telling me to give up on medicine and it’s really putting me down. Do I really have no chances? I’m not gonna give up and am willing to go back to school for a post-bac or masters or whatever I need to do to accomplish my goals. Can I apply with my current stats if I get a great score on my MCAT retake, I’m a Michigan resident and want to stay in Michigan, but am also willing to move anywhere and either MD or DO.

Don't give up now! If you get the MCAT score on the real test that you received on the practice, you have a very solid chance at DO programs. If you get that higher MCAT and also do well in a post-bac, your chances at MD programs go up too.
Stick with it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Hello, fellow michigan resident! I took the MCAT 3x, getting in the low 500's the first 2 times and got a 51X the third time. I had a cGPA of 3.5ish and a sGPA of 3.4ish. It took 3 cycles, but this year I have 2 MD acceptances! The schools I interviewed at seemed very receptive to the large MCAT score change, so if you improve that score, I'm sure you can get accepted!

I applied this year as a nontrad, graduated >4 years ago. With a cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.17 and a 511 on the MCAT, I got accepted to my first choice MD school. I barely scored 500 the first time I took it and it really brought me down, so I know how you're feeling. You got this! Sounds like you're on the right track with those practice scores!! Also your application is so much more than your stats and it sounds like you have great premed experiences!

Those are good MCAT practice test scores! I agree with others about scoring well and applying also to DO schools.

Make sure that you are taking your practice tests in test conditions (timing, go to the library or somewhere not your house, no distractions or phone use on breaks, pack your snacks/lunch and all) to ensure your practice tests are accurately evaluating your real test day range.

If you get a solid MCAT, that will help you. I will also say that unless you did something egregiously bad which could include an IA, I am one who avoids "never" unless it really is warranted. You can also successfully reinvent, so I hope you have read @Goro 's guide to reinvention.

For your due diligence, see what other health professions do because as a physician you probably will need their help at some point. If you don't become a physician, you can still take care of others in these roles. Check out what DOs do because you probably will want to include them in your list.

Basically, yes you can, but you have to commit and focus properly.

Reactions: 4 users
Multiple people on this website, perhaps rightfully, said that i would never get into med school again and I did. So I don’t think one should ever give up trying to get into medical school. Odds wise, I’m guessing most would have given you a much better chance than me. I don’t know why a premed advisor at your school would say this instead of giving constructive criticism.

As John Wooden said,

If you really want something, you’ll find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.

Good luck and keep your head up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

There is likely a way for you to be accepted to medical school. You seem to know the correct steps to take. Don't give up.

With the stipulation that I know nothing about you or your college experience, I will also offer some contrary advice. I have known several people who struggled quite a bit to get into medical school for academic reasons, one being a close friend I met in medical school. Invariably, the struggle did not end there. Medical school was extremely difficult for them--repeating a course or clerkship, taking an extra year to prepare for Step exams, failing a Step exam, not matching and having to participate in SOAP, completing a prelim year or multiple prelim years before matching. Reflect on if this could end up being your experience. It can be extremely difficult and disheartening, though almost all those I mentioned did end up in a good place eventually.

Reactions: 2 users
There is likely a way for you to be accepted to medical school. You seem to know the correct steps to take. Don't give up.

With the stipulation that I know nothing about you or your college experience, I will also offer some contrary advice. I have known several people who struggled quite a bit to get into medical school for academic reasons, one being a close friend I met in medical school. Invariably, the struggle did not end there. Medical school was extremely difficult for them--repeating a course or clerkship, taking an extra year to prepare for Step exams, failing a Step exam, not matching and having to participate in SOAP, completing a prelim year or multiple prelim years before matching. Reflect on if this could end up being your experience. It can be extremely difficult and disheartening, though almost all those I mentioned did end up in a good place eventually.
Thank you everyone for your replies, I apologize for the late thank you. Your words of encouragement really helped me especially while studying for the MCAT. I am scoring fairly close to my practice exams, and hopefully ill be taking the MCAT in the next few weeks (mid May). I will be applying broadly this cycle and do whatever it is I can. If I don't get accepted I will not give up, I will keep trying until I can make it. I will do an SMP at Wayne State and apply next year, If I still don't get it I will apply the cycle after. This is my dream, I know there are many medical professions out there, my aunt is a PA, my other aunt is a RN, and I my mom is a home-care provider. I know the other medical professions are out there, but medicine is my calling, I explained this in my personal statement. Anyways thank you everyone for your support, and I will update everyone on how this cycle goes!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users

My pre-med advisor told me I couldn't possibly make it into med school. Good thing I didn't listen to that idiot.

• Love
Thank you everyone for your replies, I apologize for the late thank you. Your words of encouragement really helped me especially while studying for the MCAT. I am scoring fairly close to my practice exams, and hopefully ill be taking the MCAT in the next few weeks (mid May). I will be applying broadly this cycle and do whatever it is I can. If I don't get accepted I will not give up, I will keep trying until I can make it. I will do an SMP at Wayne State and apply next year, If I still don't get it I will apply the cycle after. This is my dream, I know there are many medical professions out there, my aunt is a PA, my other aunt is a RN, and I my mom is a home-care provider. I know the other medical professions are out there, but medicine is my calling, I explained this in my personal statement. Anyways thank you everyone for your support, and I will update everyone on how this cycle goes!
With a high MCAT an smp with a high GPA could really help your chances. I'd say go for it.

Which, if any, of your previously reported scores were real, as opposed to theoretical based on practice exams? Since 2019, you have made various posts reporting no score, 494, 504, 508 and 512!

cGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.35 *grades have extreme upward trend, first 2 semesters I had a 2.7 and 2.8 respectively, greatly increased GPA after freshman year with 3.7-4.0 average*
MCAT score: 512 (127/127/129/129)
State of residency: Michigan
Ethnicity: White
Undergraduate institution: University of Michigan-Dearborn

Clinical experience:
Emergency Medical Scribe: 1200 hours
Medical Assistant: 500 hours
Hospital volunteer: 100 hours
Family medicine Shadowing: 200 hours
General Surgeon Shadowing: 100 hours
Hospice volunteer: 80 hours

MD school list:
1.)University of Michigan Medical School
2.)Wayne State University School of Medicine
3.)Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
4.)University of Toledo Medical School
5.)Central Michigan University College of Medicine
6.)Michigan State University Medical School
7.)Western Michigan University School of Medicine
* I prefer to stay In state but am willing to consider other options if needed*

I know my applications isn't great, but this is what I have. I still have time to decide on things. Should I retake the MCAT? Should I take a gap year? Should I do a post-bac? Should I consider Teach for America for 2 years? Im a bit lost, do I have decent chances to get into Michigan Medical schools, or do I need to work on improving my application.

I appreciate any feedback!

Hello,

Need help with schools I should apply to.

Have a 3.41 GPA and a 3.3 sGPA with a Biology major from the University of Michigan. 508 MCAT. Michigan state of residency.

700 hours of ER scribe experience
800 hours of primary care scribe experience
50 hours post op hospital volunteer
20 hours of urology shadowing
6 years of volunteering at religious institute
50 hours of work at disabilities office at uni.

I'm open to applying to MD schools or DO schools, preferably MD.

I look forward to hearing any advice!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

1. 3.41 cGPA, 3.12 sGPA
2. 512 MCAT 127, 128, 128, 129
3. Michigan resident
4. White ethnicity
5. University of Michigan for undergrad
6. ~1000 hours medical assistant at PCP office.
700 hour emergency medical scribe
50 hours post-op volunteer at hospital
7 years of weekly volunteering at religious institute
(Primary care taker for bed bound grandmother, 3 years) *unsure if this counts*

With my low gpa I think I'll only apply to state MD school, I think my best shot is with DO schools.

Am I a decent applicant or will I waste my time applying this cycle?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I need advice. I have a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.12 sGPA. I have really good EC's ranging from scribing, medical assistant to volunteering at free clinics and at religious institutes. The only thing I didn't take is the MCAT. I feel like in order to have any chance this cycle I have to take the MCAT by June 20 at the latest so that I get my score back July 7th, and apply July 8-10. The thing is I am not that confident in scoring above a 510 with the amount of time I have left to prepare for the exam. Currently on my practice exams I am averaging between a 500-505. Also my personal statement still isn't 100%. I don't mind applying to DO schools, but would I be considered competitive for DO schools?

What should I do? Should I take a gap year and make sure I get 510+ on the MCAT. I finished my bachelors in under 3 years so I'm still early compared to my classmates, but If I do take a gap year, what should I do with it to really increase my shot at an MD in Michigan. I really want to stay instate but if that's not possible I can travel for medical schools. I know with my GPA I can't be picky, Id be lucky to even get a spot at an MD school, but a man can still hope.

Hello,

I currently work as a high-school biology teacher at a title 1 school (over 95% of students are considered economically disadvantaged) and plan on applying to medical schools this coming cycle. I know my GPA is fairly low (possibly even for DO schools) but I have good experiences and hope for the best. I had financial problems during my time at college and had to work full time while taking my classes which caused me to have a lot of absences and even made me miss important exams over the years. I have to work full time or else I wouldn't be able to support my family. I know this isn't an excuse but I thought it was worth mentioning.
  1. GPA:
    1. 3.46 cgpa, 3.13 sgpa slight increase in grade trend.
  2. MCAT:
    1. 504 (127/125/126/126)
  3. Michigan resident
  4. Clinical Experience:
    1. Emergency Medical Scribe 1.5 years(~800 hours)
    2. Medical Assistant at PCP office 1.5 years(~1200 hours)
    3. Post-op room volunteer at hospital (50 hours)
    4. COVID vaccination volunteer (30 hours)
    5. Volunteer in Middle Eastern Anti-terrorism camp where we treated wounded soldiers fighting against terrorism (~3 months)
    6. Home-care for paralyzed grandmother (was the only family member available to take care of her, although it was only 6 months before she passed a way (6 months)
  5. Shadowing experiences
    1. 50 hours Shadowing with a DO doctor
  6. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Over 8 years of volunteering at local religious institute
My dream is to become a physician that works in underserved communities that suffer from economic instability. I don't care if I become an MD or a DO, as long as I can become a physician at the end. Please advise if I should proceed with applying this year. I did consider doing a post-bac program, however I will still suffer the same issue which is that I need to work while attending school. Do I even have a chance?

Thank you in advance!

My pre med advisor told me to apply to PA school instead of medical school. I agreed with them I wasn’t competitive for MD but my stats were dead average for accepted DOs so I ignored them and applied DO. A lot of them are ill informed or only aware of MD application standards. If you can get a 510 you have a great shot at DO and possibly some MD.

Which, if any, of your previously reported scores were real, as opposed to theoretical based on practice exams? Since 2019, you have made various posts reporting no score, 494, 504, 508 and 512!
The 494 is the only real score, everything else was practice exam scores. I have a strong feeling I’m going to do much better on my exam in May 27. Thank you for looking this up!

Reactions: 1 user
The 494 is the only real score, everything else was practice exam scores. I have a strong feeling I’m going to do much better on my exam in May 27. Thank you for looking this up!
Good luck!! I strongly urge you to do at least a little GPA repair before applying, no matter how well you do on the test, because the 494 is still going to be out there.