This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palm6758

Reaction score
Stats:
cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.18
MCAT: 501

I didn't apply to too many DO schools, I did around 8 schools and so far. I submitted 11 applications, but I only returned 8 of the supplementals. So far, I have 2 rejections, 1 interview and then rejection, and the rest are silent lol. So I decided to retake my MCAT this month so hopefully that goes up a bit.

I have two questions:
1. Should I finish the other 3 school supplementals I didn't finish? Just because, if I reapply again next cycle, I don't want to have some mark on my app that says "didn't finish supplemental or something" idk if this is even a thing but please let me know lol.
2. Should I apply again next cycle? I applied in early September this year (my MCAT was in July), so I thought that could be a factor. Kind of stuck.
Thanks in advance for any advice, really appreciate it.

**I have a pre-med health committee at school which went over our LORs, clinical hours, extracurricular, other experience and I got approved with distinction (2nd highest level). I have also shadowed a DO for over 150 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to 11 DO schools or is that the MD & DO total? It really depends on which three schools you haven't submitted the secondary apps to yet. Ask yourself, are you competitive for those three schools in the first place? Sounds like you're still waiting to hear back from five school, but I'd plan on applying next cycle. Work on ECs and maybe consider taking a class or two to bump that sGPA up (depending on where you apply). Post your new MCAT when you find out your score to get some advice on a school list. Also, I'm not aware of any school holding a grudge towards a reapplicant for not submitting a secondary app.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply to 11 DO schools or is that the MD & DO total? It really depends on which three schools you haven't submitted the secondary apps to yet. Ask yourself, are you competitive for those three schools in the first place? Sounds like you're still waiting to hear back from five school, but I'd plan on applying next cycle. Work on ECs and maybe consider taking a class or two to bump that sGPA up (depending on where you apply). Post your new MCAT when you find out your score to get some advice on a school list. Also, I'm not aware of any school holding a grudge towards a reapplicant for not submitting a secondary app.
It was 11 DO schools. The other 3 I did not finish include RVU, Burnell and Texas Incarnate Wood. I think I am competitive for Burnell given their stats (or average), but it is late in the cycle. I will have to mark I am a reapplicant for Burnell no matter if I submit my secondary or not, correct? Also, does the reapplicant status mean for schools you are reapplying to specifically, or if you applied to any schools under ACCOMAS? Thanks, next year I am working with underrepresented public schools and will probably do some more courses to get the sGPA to a 3.2+. I will post a new MCAT. Thanks for all the advice. Also, should I not apply this next cycle and wait another year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats:
cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.18
MCAT: 501

I didn't apply to too many DO schools, I did around 8 schools and so far. I submitted 11 applications, but I only returned 8 of the supplementals. So far, I have 2 rejections, 1 interview and then rejection, and the rest are silent lol. So I decided to retake my MCAT this month so hopefully that goes up a bit.

I have two questions:
1. Should I finish the other 3 school supplementals I didn't finish? Just because, if I reapply again next cycle, I don't want to have some mark on my app that says "didn't finish supplemental or something" idk if this is even a thing but please let me know lol.
2. Should I apply again next cycle? I applied in early September this year (my MCAT was in July), so I thought that could be a factor. Kind of stuck.
Thanks in advance for any advice, really appreciate it.

**I have a pre-med health committee at school which went over our LORs, clinical hours, extracurricular, other experience and I got approved with distinction (2nd highest level). I have also shadowed a DO for over 150 hours.
I suggest reapplying and especially targeting the newest schools.

Re-write all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

Get a LOR from that DO, if you haven't done so already.

I suggest reapplying and especially targeting the newest schools.

Re-write all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

Get a LOR from that DO, if you haven't done so already.

Should I reapply to any of the ones I already applied to? Or stick to the ones that I haven't tried yet. That way I am not a "reapplicant."

Reapplicants need to show how they've improved. How would you improve for those schools?

If my science gpa goes up (taken around 18 new credits of science by the time I reapply) and a new MCAT, hopefully? Also, if I am enrolled in a MPH (12-mo) program for next year, does that help too?

Can anyone give me a list of schools I should look at for next year? Should I also apply to low tier/new MD programs?

Last edited:
If my science gpa goes up (taken around 18 new credits of science by the time I reapply) and a new MCAT, hopefully? Also, if I am enrolled in a MPH (12-mo) program for next year, does that help too?

Can anyone give me a list of schools I should look at for next year? Should I also apply to low tier/new MD programs?

Reapplicant status is not some big red flag on your application. Also, it is specific to programs you previously applied to and is not something a school will see if you've never applied to their program.

If you have gotten your MCAT and GPA up by the time you apply next cycle, that would certainly classify as an improvement. Don't worry too much about what schools to apply to right now. Once you have the concrete numbers for the MCAT and GPA that you'll be applying with, post them here and some of the admins will gladly give you their ideas on where to apply.

Lets see where you're at in 7-8 months. Plan on applying this coming cycle. Good luck.

8 schools wasnt enough with your very average stats. Repost with a new MCAT and app improvements when you get there

I don't find the advice on this forum very helpful for you. I truly don't think you should be retaking the MCAT. It is not the reason you're not getting interviews or acceptances. You're 3.18 sGPA is a little low. If it was honestly above a 3.2, you would be eligible for a few more schools.

It's pretty late in the cycle to be sending out secondaries, but if you have money to burn go for it. Being a re-applicant is usually a good thing and definitely not bad. It shows persistence and determination. You may get asked in secondaries and interviews what you have changed in your application from one cycle to the next so be prepared to answer that question with solid content.

You absolutely need to apply this next cycle, don't wait. Rewrite all the essays in your application, especially your personal statement. Have professors and physicians read over your PS as well to make sure that it's written well and not too generic. Your school list might be an issue as well. Also it's Burrell, not Burnell just so you know. But Burrell is a good one to apply to. Try these schools as well: ACOM, WVSOM, VCOM, LECOM, UIWSOM, AT Still. I don't know where you hail from because then you could apply to schools closer to where you are.

Don't get discouraged. Be confident. I got in with a 499 MCAT.

I don't find the advice on this forum very helpful for you. I truly don't think you should be retaking the MCAT. It is not the reason you're not getting interviews or acceptances. You're 3.18 sGPA is a little low. If it was honestly above a 3.2, you would be eligible for a few more schools.

It's pretty late in the cycle to be sending out secondaries, but if you have money to burn go for it. Being a re-applicant is usually a good thing and definitely not bad. It shows persistence and determination. You may get asked in secondaries and interviews what you have changed in your application from one cycle to the next so be prepared to answer that question with solid content.

You absolutely need to apply this next cycle, don't wait. Rewrite all the essays in your application, especially your personal statement. Have professors and physicians read over your PS as well to make sure that it's written well and not too generic. Your school list might be an issue as well. Also it's Burrell, not Burnell just so you know. But Burrell is a good one to apply to. Try these schools as well: ACOM, WVSOM, VCOM, LECOM, UIWSOM, AT Still. I don't know where you hail from because then you could apply to schools closer to where you are.

Don't get discouraged. Be confident. I got in with a 499 MCAT.
I didn't tell him to retake it. I just said he didn't apply to enough schools.