Should I retake courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmdiA

Reaction score
Hello. I went to a community college and ended up with a 3.37 (had a 3.7) and a 3.1 sGPA. I had taken antidepressants which really messed with my head and made it impossible for me to focus.

I am now in a 4 year university.
I so far took (in cc):
Gen Bio
Gen Bio 2
A&P
A&P 2
and scored B+ in all of them.
But Inorganic Chemistry 1 & 2 I scored a C+ and a C, which really dropped my science gpa by a lot. Should I retake these courses in my 4 year school to bring my gpa back? Do dental schools give you the higher grade or they factor them together? I really need to know, I am so lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do and some dont you really have to target in on some specific schools and decide, retaking them will be good. If your undergrad gpa isnt amazing when you finish, you can still do a post bacc or a one year masters program and get in after. Hope isn't lost. Just keep trying hard to do well. Id focus more on adjusting your study methods and finding out what works for you, its a process so dont be too hard on yourself. Good luck.

Some schools do and some dont you really have to target in on some specific schools and decide, retaking them will be good. If your undergrad gpa isnt amazing when you finish, you can still do a post bacc or a one year masters program and get in after. Hope isn't lost. Just keep trying hard to do well. Id focus more on adjusting your study methods and finding out what works for you, its a process so dont be too hard on yourself. Good luck.

Do dental schools give you the higher grade or they factor them together?
They're averaged together. So retaking a C and getting an A will just average out to a B. It's up to you to determine whether that will help by calculating scenarios out. Also, it is only worth it to retake if you get A's - anything less will hurt. Another thing you can do is take upper division courses (like immunology, virology, etc.) and do well (=A's) to show an upward trend.