Should I retake the CBSE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonelOsteotome

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think there are better ways to invest your time than retaking the CBSE unless you're certain you can get an eye opening score the following attempt

No. 218 is plenty good enough to pass their cbse screen. Spend your time learning interview skills and enjoying life. Congrats on a great score!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are better ways to invest your time than retaking the CBSE unless you're certain you can get an eye opening score the following attempt
I’m certain I could score at least an 80-85 with 6 more gruesome months of studying, but it would definitely take away from other things i’d like to focus on.

I plan on spending my time with externships, shadowing private practice OS and going over some OMFS textbooks. What else did you have in mind?

I’m certain I could score at least an 80-85 with 6 more gruesome months of studying, but it would definitely take away from other things i’d like to focus on.

I plan on spending my time with externships, shadowing private practice OS and going over some OMFS textbooks. What else did you have in mind?
Externships can play heavily in your favor. Save your favorite programs for after a few externships (in my opinion). But go on many. Make sure you try to get very solid OMFS letters and take this time to organize your CV/personal statement.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I would retake. It could hurt you if everyone else in your class has significantly higher CBSE scores, especially if applying to the same programs. You already have some publications and likely some other EC’s. Wrap it up with a nice CBSE score.

Reactions: 1 user
Scored a 218 (77) on the CBSE this February and am applying to OMFS later this year. I have a couple of publications, poster presentations and am a student in a P/F dental school. Only applying to 4 year programs. I plan on going on 3 in person externships in the next couple of months. Thoughts on retaking? My OMFS faculty says 70+ is good enough to match but I have classmates willing to retake 75s, 76s and in some cases even low 80s. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Try to get in the low 80s. You’d be surprised how much scores have gone up just in the past 2 years. I just went through the application process, and only applied to 4 years and was surprised how many people had in the low 80s.

The higher your score the more interviews you will get. Whether or not that’s fair, that’s the way it is.

Reactions: 1 user
CBSE scores for the residents matched to my 4 year program this year. In no particular order: 71,77,82. The range of CBSE scores that interviewed for my 4 year program: 52 - 88. Just for basic knowledge. The report is that scores already dropped in this last CBSE cycle for dental students. So COVID may have played a part in allowing more time to study.

Reactions: 4 users
if you have a bunch of people in your class that are applying with higher scores, you should probably re-take to better position yourself. At least that's what I did, because to my point, programs invited around 2 of us at a time maximum (they aren't gonna invite 5 people from the same school). 77 is 220 btw.

if you have a bunch of people in your class that are applying with higher scores, you should probably re-take to better position yourself. At least that's what I did, because to my point, programs invited around 2 of us at a time maximum (they aren't gonna invite 5 people from the same school). 77 is 220 btw.
According to the Score Interpretation Guide, a 220 converts to a 78

check the conversion chart sent to you by john london to verify.
1645893126362.png

Status
Not open for further replies.