Should I retake the DAT with an AA of 19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzahid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I wanted some advice from you guys. I just took my DATs and received the following scores:
PAT:18
RC:18
Orgo:18
Bio:21
Chemistry:17
QR:19
AA:19

Major:Biology
GPA: 3.85
Dental experience: 100 Shadowing hours, 9 months of dental assisting experience.

I understand that these results are not great . However, they meet the minimum requirement of about 13 schools. I honestly just want to get into any dental school. I really don't have a preference. I'm wondering whether I should go ahead and apply or wait to retake it in August ( the earliest possible time for me) and then apply? I'm worried it'll be a little late in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Should you retake? No. Not unless you couldn't imagine going anywhere other than Harvard, Columbia, etc. Since you've indicated otherwise, do as others have already advised. Apply broadly and early and let the process work itself out. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Should you retake? No. Not unless you couldn't imagine going anywhere other than Harvard, Columbia, etc. Since you've indicated otherwise, do as others have already advised. Apply broadly and early and let the process work itself out. Good luck

Robert California, not in paper business anymore I assume.

Reactions: 3 users
Do I look like someone who would waste my own time? The paper business is a dying one.

Reactions: 3 users
I think your stats are fine.
Apply early and really emphasize your dental experience as well any other ECs you have.

I would contact the schools your interested attending and see what they think. Some may say yes others say no. GPA is fine though

Agreed with above, unless you are trying for the top schools those scores should be fine if you improve your extra credentials. I think the best way to go is try volunteering/working in a hospital or school that has a dental school. This way you can make connections at the same time.

I got accepted into 4/6 schools including my top choice VCU. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer advice! You guys are wonderful.

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted into 4/6 schools including my top choice VCU. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer advice! You guys are wonderful.

Congratulations!
Where did you apply and where did you get in and where do you plan to go??

How early or late did you apply?

Congratulations!
Where did you apply and where did you get in and where do you plan to go??

Hey there!

Since the application process is so expensive I chose to apply to only a few schools that seemed to accept my stats. I applied to MWU ( AZ), LECOM, VCU , Howard, UNLV, Tufts, UCSF. I got into MWU, LECOM, VCU, UNLV. I didn't interview at Tufts since I had already gotten into VCU ( my dream school). I'll be attending VCU in July. Good luck and apply early!!!!!!