Should I Retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on if I should retake the MCAT?
Note: I am a Canadian possibly looking into a US MD school.

This was the second time I wrote and got a 32 (P:11, V:9, B:12)
My GPA is around a 3.9/4.0

E.C:
-I have a number of volunteer experiences (hospital and non-hospital)
-I am a member of a couple student groups
-I am a pharmacy student so I have a fair bit of clinical experience. (I already have a B.Sc but am working on my pharmacy degree)
-I don't have any research but am hoping to find a position this summer!!! :)
-My family and I have also helped a number of families Immigrate to Canada. We helped get their paperwork in order, gave them a place to stay and searched for appartments with them across the city. It was a very gratifying experience since I am an immigrant my self.
-Played competitive hockey for about 11 years and am currently on a university recreational dodgeball team.

Probably have some other E.Cs that I just can't think of at the moment.

Thanks to whoever replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I should probably add that I have worked as a lifeguard for the past 4 years through out my university career. I average about 10 hours during the school year and full time in the summer.

What does second time you wrote mean? Anyways, your academics are great and your MCAT is in the high 80s percentile, nothing amazing but still very strong. Depending on the schools you're looking at I wouldn't expect your academics to hold you back. You seem to have a strong application, but you are missing patient care. Pharmacy clinical experience is different than what a physician would see. I do not see any shadowing listed. Also, look into becoming a clinical scribe. Everyone who does that job is going MD, DO or PA. It's like shadowing only more intense and you get paid for it, not the best and it's still something. I just became one and I've talked to 3 3rd or 4th year MS who all said that the people who did scribe work were leaps ahead of the class, especially when it came time for clinical application.

You have a lot of good work outside the medical field, but your lack of work inside of it is your weak point. Again, your app seems fairly strong, just giving you ideas on how to make it better.

Members don't see this ad :)
It boils down to where you want to go. If you're aiming for the top-tier schools, you may not have a very good shot. But for just any MD school, I would say that your mcat and gpa are pretty competitive and you have a very good chance of getting in. With stellar LORs and solid Personal Statment, I don't see what can possibly hold you back from getting in.

I also heard that applying early increases your chances. Is this true?

And FYI I'm looking into low - mid tier schools. For example Albert Einstein since it really caught my attention.

Yes. Apply as early as you can. I don't know anything about foreign students but your stats look good.

Thanks for all the response.

Does anyone from the top of there head know any Canadian Friendly school that would be worth applying to?
Is there somewere I can find this information for my self?

Thanks for all the response.

Does anyone from the top of there head know any Canadian Friendly school that would be worth applying to?
Is there somewere I can find this information for my self?

Buy the MSAR and see which schools interview and matriculate the most international applicants. You'll primarily be looking at private schools, as most public schools take very small proportions of out of state US citizens, and essentially no internationals.

I don't think Einstein is a low-mid tier school.

Reactions: 1 user