This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2
This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.

Template:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?
Definitely Retake:
  • Scores <495
  • Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
  • if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
  • if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
  • if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
  • if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
  • if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
  • if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
  • if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
Retake only in some circumstances depending on your goal:
  • if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
  • if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
  • if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
  • if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
  • if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Thanks to @MCATKINGS for updating this thread.

Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The people here will crucify you for suggesting a retake of a 514, but if you really think you have it in you to score higher then you should. But keep in mind this means you had a few 520+ FLs, or at least some sort of backing that you won't just score the same again. I retook a ~514 score after dropping from FLs since I knew I would get no II's from T20s based on my current score; I scored over 10 points higher and am applying now. Zero regrets. However I'm sure I lost a year of my life from that stress. Will it be worth it in the end when I look back? Probably not. But do I like to put forward something that isn't reflective of my best abilities? No. Just me though.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm at a T20 with a 516 and a lower GPA. As long as the rest of your app is strong, that score shouldn't hold you back for T20s.

You'd have to be really confident in your ability to score a 520+ in order for a retake to be worth it. with your FL scores, I truthfully wouldn't go ahead with a retake. And if you don't know if you have it in yourself to study a second time, then I would recommend against it. You have a pretty competitive application and should be able to get multiple interviews (which will hopefully lead to acceptances). While you may not be super competitive for a T20, I don't think you'll have any problem getting in somewhere.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
The average of your AAMC FLs is usually a pretty good indicator of how you should expect to perform. You dropped 4 points from your FL average, which is not crazily abnormal, but it is reasonably significant. If you don't mind me asking, how did your performance vary across each section compared to your practice exams?

If you dropped 1 point in each section from your practice average, that is well within the expected range for where you should have expected to score. If all 4 of those points below your average were in a single section, you likely had a bad testing experience (test anxiety, technical issues, etc) or just got unlucky by getting tested on content that was your weak point. In the case of dropping significantly (like 4 points) in a single section, I would definitely retake. However, I would personally not retake if all of your section scores were within 1-2 points from the average you had on your practice tests. Again, that is what I would personally do because I wouldn't want to study for the MCAT again or risk my score going even lower. However, you could certainly justify a retake if you are adamant about attending a top-tier school and are willing to spend the time and money to improve your score. Just keep in mind that you would be risking a lower score and already have a very respectable score that will be enough to make you competitive for lots of good medical schools. You should be proud of that score and shouldn't retake solely because you are lower than you were perhaps hoping.

No, just No.
Is your goal to go to a T10 or be a physician?
The risk vs reward for retaking a 514 aint worth it.

Reactions: 10 users
I guess my problem with these kinds of questions is that even if you raise your score 4 points (to your FL average), you're still not guaranteed to get into a T20. Are your odds better? Sure. But even then, you have a kind of generic high stats app. Studying again while maintaining your academics is going to seriously cut into your EC time, so while your hours are more than sufficient I'm just not sure what you're hanging your hat on as why a school should pick you over the next high stat applicant.

If you could raise your score 10 points, then sure, that would be worth it, but there's a decent chance you just retake and wind up at a slightly better but still not T20 school.

I'm interviewing at a T20 with a score between 510 and 515. My advice: if your application is strong in other regards, you still have a chance at a T20. Don't sell yourself short.

1. First time taking and I received a 514 (130/126/129/129)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
    1. 3.9 with sGPA> 3.8 at a BIG10 school. I'm currently a junior. State of residency is GA
    1. GA
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Was really hoping to get into T20, but I won't anymore
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Clinical volunteering: 650 hours as volunteer MA at free clinic. Clinical employment: 1200 hours as derm MA. Tutor for organic chem/biochem. ~200 hours of research, continuing through this year and my senior year. Nonclinical: t-ball coach, tutor for young kids, hockey coach
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: FL1: 515, FL2: 517, FL3: 520, FL4: 520
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes, I think I could. I just don't know if I have it in me to study a second time
Entirely depends on what your goals are. You can still get T20 with those stats because your ECs are stellar and the schools, unfortunately, weigh GPA and MCAT equally. Also, you will definitely get into A medical school as long as you write a decent application and aren't a weirdo or racist or something.

I guess I would want to know why you want to go T20. Are you super interested in medical research? Because that is basically the only reason to do so. If you are interested in a competitive specialty (hopefully not just for the money), you will get into a medical school that will allow you to get into any specialty as long as you do well in medical school (DO students and Caribbean students match Derm/Ortho/Neuro all the time). If it's pride, kindly F off.

Not sure what you’ll gain by a retake given what you said your GPA is and assuming other elements of your app are strong. That said, this is your decision, not ours. Just be aware that you could retake and score lower. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
a) First off, congrats on such a great score. I think in the premed forums, people tend to forget that a 511+ means that you've beat out at least 70% of other test takers which is amazing.

b) n=1, but i retook at 516 and jumped to a 524. statistically, I think I'm definitely in the minority since most people in that first test score range do not increase their score beyond the confidence interval. The ONLY reason I did it was because my GPA was lackluster (~10th percentile everywhere) and having a 516 just, statistically, put me out of the running at a number of places I wanted to go. I eventually ended up a t10 (well...PD t10). I don't know if that was because of the MCAT score or not, but I was definitely complimented on my "guts" to do that in some interviews. I'm sure if it went the other way, I would have been absolutely screened out for "bad judgment" etc.

In your case, if you're looking for justification for a retake, go ahead and try for it, but you have to be willing to abort if you aren't scoring in the ≥ 520 range consistently on the FLs (preferably higher ~522+ since you've seen the tests already and are aiming for something ≥ 517 to get out of your confidence interval). And yeah...you'll have to restudy a bunch of stuff, so it won't be fun.

But honestly, your GPA is absolutely fine and you seem to have all the other boxes checked...so you don't really have a ton to gain by trying for the retake.

1. First time taking and I received a 514 (130/126/129/129)
    1. 3.9 with sGPA> 3.8 at a BIG10 school. I'm currently a junior. State of residency is GA
    1. GA
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Was really hoping to get into T20, but I won't anymore
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Clinical volunteering: 650 hours as volunteer MA at free clinic. Clinical employment: 1200 hours as derm MA. Tutor for organic chem/biochem. ~200 hours of research, continuing through this year and my senior year. Nonclinical: t-ball coach, tutor for young kids, hockey coach
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: FL1: 515, FL2: 517, FL3: 520, FL4: 520
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes, I think I could. I just don't know if I have it in me to study a second time
I had a lower MCAT score and GPA than you did and I’m in Med school right now, so you’ll be fine if you apply to schools that match your stats.

• Care
What would you say in an interview if they ask why you retook it?

My point is, your stats are there, your time would be better spent doing something else that’ll help you stand out.

Reactions: 3 users
OP, at first glance, I think it looks like you’re still a strong applicant & you already said it yourself that you’re not sure you have it in you to study for this again. TAKE A PAUSE where you can, since you still need to make it through other classes & you got hours dedicated to ECs + research. You can only do so much and it sounds great you got to a Big10 school on top of that.

Just maintain your momentum on the things you’ve got going for you, and don’t risk burning yourself out over a higher score. It’s best to practice balance now.

In other words, I agree with others who’ve said they see no issue w/ keeping your score & you know, the rest you can save for an interview. Time is precious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking a 514 will not improve your chances for admission...anywhere. It will come from other aspects on your app....

Retaking a 514 will not improve your chances for admission...anywhere. It will come from other aspects on your app....
That's objectively not true. Scoring a 520 would certainly increase the chances of admission as shown in the AAMC GPA/MCAT Grid. However, it's most likely not significant enough to justify a retake.

I would retake if you can score 518+ on at least 3 timed practice tests. MCAT inflation seems to be running hot. I can’t tell if the proliferation of test resources is driving higher scores or competition is just getting more intense.

Just my experience: I had a 514 MCAT and applied last cycle, was accepted and matriculated into a T20 school. I also went to a T10 undergrad and ORM (Asian). My MCAT was below the median for my med school, but my secondaries and experiences really meshed well with the med school's goals. This T20 school was my first interview of the cycle, so I was in the first batch of accepted applicants, so not necessarily true that you can't get into a T20 with that score.

• Care
Just my experience: I had a 514 MCAT and applied last cycle, was accepted and matriculated into a T20 school. I also went to a T10 undergrad and ORM (Asian). My MCAT was below the median for my med school, but my secondaries and experiences really meshed well with the med school's goals. This T20 school was my first interview of the cycle, so I was in the first batch of accepted applicants, so not necessarily true that you can't get into a T20 with that score.
This was likely bigger factor than secondaries, imho.

This was likely bigger factor than secondaries, imho.
I can't believe that you just ignored the fact that they had really strong secondaries and experience (that align with the school's mission), and solely focused on their undergrad institution. That's kinda disrespectful to them and the work they put in imo. It sounds to me like they were just an awesome applicant (across the board), and probably also interviewed well. I know y'all wanna think it's as simple as MCAT, GPA, and undergrad school, but the story, how it's written, and fit matter SO much.

a 520 second attempt is not the same as a 520 first attempt. You are only marginally improving your 514 IF you pull off the 520. Seems risky. I think I would spend thy time to enhance every other component of the app and apply to T20s and some mid tiers.

Scoring within 4 points of your highest practice test at that end of the score range is incredible. Your test day performance was likely only off by 4-6 questions. At this point there are so many more important things in your app than a few points on the MCAT. Once invited for an interview your MCAT will not be factored in nearly as heavily as the rest of your portfolio.

I just want to start off by saying that I recognize that 517 (128/130/129/130) is a great score, but I'm a little disappointed considering I scored 519 and 521 on FL3 and FL4. If I'm aiming for a T20, is it worth retaking for a 520+? I hope people don't see this as a humblebrag this is a serious question for me, any advice would be appreciated.

More info:

GPA: 4.0
Race: Asian Male
School: Upper tier UC
The MCAT is am assessment of judgement as much as it is one of competency. You will be telegraphing that you are a perfectionist, and that's not a good thing.

People also hit better in batting practice than on the baseball diamond.

a 520 second attempt is not the same as a 520 first attempt. You are only marginally improving your 514 IF you pull off the 520. Seems risky. I think I would spend thy time to enhance every other component of the app and apply to T20s and some mid tiers.
This depends on the school. Some schools only consider your most recent score, your highest score, or some combination of all of your scores.

1. MCAT: 514 (129/129/128/128)
  2. GPA: Undergrad 3.9, sGPA 3.9
  3. State: IL
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer MD; really like Vanderbilt and Northwestern after summer experiences there
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I might apply this coming cycle or the following one to gain more ECs
    • Science class mentor and tutor for 2 years
    • 9 month internship helping at-risk patients connect with resources for financial assistance, food insecurity, getting a PCP, connecting to community health, and applying for Medicaid (400 hours)
    • Teach local middle school students once a semester with an original lesson plan (80 hours)
    • CNA work 150 hours
    • Summer research continuing into the year; two publications in psychology research
  7. Other Facts: All practice AAMC FLs were above 518. My average was 519. I understand I have a balanced score. I am a little disappointed since I had never scored this low and think I could score higher. I just want to know if its worth it to retake to have a better shot at top tier schools like Vanderbilt and Northwestern.
    518 (128/130/131/129)
    518 (129/130/131/128)
    521 (130/130/129/132)
    519 (130/130/130/129)
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I had not finished all the practice questions from AAMC and had not completed UGlobe before taking the test because I ran out of time. I think my P/S is the weakest and hopefully the easiest to improve. I usually score well in the BB section as well. I would probably retake in January if I decide to.
*Edited for clarity

Last edited:
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer MD; really like Vanderbilt and Northwestern after summer experiences there
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I might apply this coming cycle or the following one to gain more ECs
    • 9 month internship helping at-risk patients connect with resources for financial assistance, food insecurity, getting a PCP, connecting to community health, and applying for Medicaid (400 hours)
    • Teach local middle school students once a semester with an original lesson plan (80 hours)
    • CNA work 150 hours
    • Summer research continuing into the year; two publications in psychology research
  7. Other Facts: All practice AAMC FLs were above 518. My average was 519. I understand I have a balanced score. I just want to know if my MCAT score will limit me for reach schools like Vanderbilt or Northwestern.
    518 (128/130/131/129)
    518 (129/130/131/128)
    521 (130/130/129/132)
    519 (130/130/130/129)
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I had not finished all the practice questions from AAMC and had not completed UGlobe before taking the test because I ran out of time. I think my P/S is the weakest and hopefully the easiest to improve. I usually score well in the BB section.

balanced MCAT score, within range of upper mid tiers, dont retake

• CNA work 150 hours
  7. Other Facts: All practice AAMC FLs were above 518. My average was 519. I understand I have a balanced score. I am a little disappointed since I had never scored this low and think I could score higher. I just want to know if its worth it to retake to have a better shot at top tier schools like Vanderbilt and Northwestern.
    518 (128/130/131/129)
    518 (129/130/131/128)
    521 (130/130/129/132)
    519 (130/130/130/129)
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I had not finished all the practice questions from AAMC and had not completed UGlobe before taking the test because I ran out of time. I think my P/S is the weakest and hopefully the easiest to improve. I usually score well in the BB section as well. I would probably retake in January if I decide to.
*Edited for clarity
I retook my 514 (128/129/129/128) and got a 518 (130/127/130/131) with like a month and a half of extra studying. But I came off of a 522 average. It's obviously doable, especially if you haven't done UPangea. If you're willing to put in the work, you can get it done, but know that it's just one small part of your app, and everything else (GPA, ECs, letters, etc) counts for a lot beyond what's already a great score. Having gone through the process, I thought it was pretty ballsy and arrogant for me to retake it, but maybe that's because I'm on the other end of the road now.

• CNA work 150 hours
    518 (128/130/131/129)
    518 (129/130/131/128)
    521 (130/130/129/132)
    519 (130/130/130/129)
*Edited for clarity
514 is too low for Vandy and NW but you will get into an MD school with those stats and activities. Unfortunately just the way it works. Sounds like you had a bad day on the MCAT but retakes are just too high risk for a 514.

514 is too low for Vandy and NW but you will get into an MD school with those stats and activities. Unfortunately just the way it works. Sounds like you had a bad day on the MCAT but retakes are just too high risk for a 514.
Too low is a little too broad of a term. It's probably bottom quarter or bottom half for certain, but I could pick ten current students there sub-510 I'd imagine. 514 is more than acceptable to pick up an interview there assuming an otherwise strong application.

Too low is a little too broad of a term. It's probably bottom quarter or bottom half for certain, but I could pick ten current students there sub-510 I'd imagine. 514 is more than acceptable to pick up an interview there assuming an otherwise strong application.
514 is 10th percentile for accepted students at Vandy. 513 is 10th percentile at NW. OP is an ORM and has okay EC's, but their EC's are well below average for a top 20 school. I stand by what I said. Getting into a school as an ORM with a 10th percentile MCAT and below average EC's is so rare that we can say that that MCAT is "too low." No shade at OP, just the way it works.

I just want to start off by saying that I recognize that 517 (128/130/129/130) is a great score, but I'm a little disappointed considering I scored 519 and 521 on FL3 and FL4. If I'm aiming for a T20, is it worth retaking for a 520+? I hope people don't see this as a humblebrag this is a serious question for me, any advice would be appreciated.

More info:

GPA: 4.0
Race: Asian Male
School: Upper tier UC
Hi there subsection score twin!

Would be a pretty bad idea to retake tho. Same story here in terms of the drop, since I went from 522 on FL4 to 517 on the real deal. Would just run with it.

Wouldn’t retake got 509 and was accepted out of state to UCSF
Retaking a 517 would be dumb, but OP shouldn't base their decision to retake off this anomaly. If it is true, you have an exceptional application outside of your MCAT. UCSF has a 10th percentile MCAT of 513 for OOS students, so a 509 would likely be one of the lowest scores they'd even remotely consider.

I went 520/520/522/522 on my FLs and ended up with a 516. I was pretty bummed for a bit and considered retaking but didn't go through with it and I'm sitting at 6 IIs already this cycle, including a T20. Your time would be better spent improving the rest of your application and cranking up your WARS score!

I recently got my MCAT score (511;125,128,127,131) back, and I did worse than I expected on the C/P section, but my P/S section was 2 points higher, so I still got a 511. I was hoping for atleast a 127 on C/P. I froze up when the exam started.

I am aiming for Illinois Schools like Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin. I also might apply to DO. My GPA is a 3.9 at a Top 5 LAC.

Should I retake? Any advice would be appreciated. I have been stressing way too much about this.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on what the best course of action may be for me regarding my MCAT. I took it twice and the first time I scored 505 (125/123/129/128) and on my second take I got a 507 (127/121/128/131). When I was retaking the practice FLs I had a 515 average but I knew that this was due to inflation so I was expecting something lower along the lines of like a 512 but not below 510.

Anyways, my question is do I retake or do I apply next cycle? I'm CA ORM with a 3.8+ GPA and I would prefer MD over DO. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you weren't scoring higher on practice exams, then I wouldn't retake. Even if you were scoring higher, it's still a risk. A 511 is a great score, but I'm biased because I have a 511. I'd say my cycle is going pretty good, as well!

From everything I've ever read, that 121 section score is going to sink you pretty hard.

You already have an uphill climb being from CA. A 507 also isn't the most competitive score for MD schools, though it won't auto-sink you either. The big problem is going to be getting a 121 on the 2nd section (and doing worse on it to boot). Some schools auto-screen for per-section scores, and others will see that and have a very skeptical eye.

My first reflex would be to say "take it again", but you REALLY need to make sure that you improve that 121. You need to figure out why you scored poorly on that section in the first place and then why you scored worse the second time. If you take it three times in a row and still can't get that up to an at least average score (~125), then it could be really worrisome.

From everything I've ever read, that 121 section score is going to sink you pretty hard.

You already have an uphill climb being from CA. A 507 also isn't the most competitive score for MD schools, though it won't auto-sink you either. The big problem is going to be getting a 121 on the 2nd section (and doing worse on it to boot). Some schools auto-screen for per-section scores, and others will see that and have a very skeptical eye.

My first reflex would be to say "take it again", but you REALLY need to make sure that you improve that 121. You need to figure out why you scored poorly on that section in the first place and then why you scored worse the second time. If you take it three times in a row and still can't get that up to an at least average score (~125), then it could be really worrisome.
What are my chances with DO schools?

I just got my score back and got 511 (129,123,129,130) and this was a retake from a 508. My baseline before studying for CARS was 125, so I was surprised to see it drop so low. Should I retake the exam a third time? I also have a 3.92 GPA. Thanks!

Without knowing more about your goals, state of residence, and background, I would not advise a 3rd attempt without having an unsuccessful cycle. Your composite score is strong as are several of your section scores. Your gpa is great. With that being said, apply broadly and try to identify programs that won’t screen out sub 125 section scores.

If I could ask @Goro and @gyngyn, do you think it would be wise to retake if I could ensure a much higher CARS score and then apply? Or should I apply and if I do not get in anywhere, only then retake?

I am asking because I would like to better my chances for MD schools. However, I understand that if I were to apply and get into a DO school for example, then denying that acceptance would be foolish. What are your guys' thoughts?

Thank you for your time!

If I could ask @Goro and @gyngyn, do you think it would be wise to retake if I could ensure a much higher CARS score and then apply? Or should I apply and if I do not get in anywhere, only then retake?
How exactly would you do the bolded text?

The CARS section is the hardest to remediate, especially for ESL and, I suspect for some 1st gen Americans as well.

I think that you have hit your plateau.

I must agree with @Goro.
The most resistant section seems to be CARS.
If you studied effectively and sufficiently and actually dropped in score, you would need to identify a course of remediation that will work for you.
You would then need to employ this strategy over a period of time sufficient to make progress.

The largest uncontrolled experiment I've seen in CARS is Canada. I often see applicants take the MCAT up to seven times in an attempt to raise this score. Mind you, their other scores are great, but they just can't budge CARS. Clearly they are motivated and take plenty of time. Thus, I conclude that there is a subsection of the population for whom CARS will persist as a stumbling block without regard to the interventions tried. We don't know if you are in this category but the information you have shared indicates that you may well be.

I wouldn't keep retaking if CARS is what's holding you back. It's something that's not fixed with just studying. I have friends that tried for years and ultimately ended up in the Caribbean