This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2
This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.

Template:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?
Definitely Retake:
  • Scores <495
  • Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
  • if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
  • if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
  • if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
  • if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
  • if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
  • if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
  • if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
Retake only in some circumstances depending on your goal:
  • if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
  • if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
  • if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
  • if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
  • if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Thanks to @MCATKINGS for updating this thread.

Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I completed the official FL in May and I took the exam on May 20th but got 509 and 123 in CARS, I submitted my application on Jun 7th. I decided to retake the exam in July to improve my score. I haven't studied for a month but now I started to review my materials. How can I know if I improved or not?
what were your FL scores? with no prep and immediate retake to me sounds like you are throwing a Hail Mary pass. Have you done UWorld practice questions? If not I will probably do those along with review and take one FL per week. You can probably fine BluePrint to AAMC score comparisons if you Google.

Hello everybody, my story is that I took my MCAT a few months ago and I didn't feel that bad about my test, but when I got my score back i was shocked. I got a 506, my 4 AAMC FL avg was a 512 and my 3rd party avg was a 510 (I started 3rd parties earlier so the avg was lower) so I thought I was going to get a score around there, but I didn't. My question is that if I schedule for a July 22nd retake would I be too late for the application cycle and would it even be worth it? I feel like if I take it again I should be able to get around a 512 maybe even a little higher with another month of studying and I would have much better chances at getting into schools. Thanks for reading this and for any advice if you decide to give any.

Are you trying to get into MD or DO schools? 506 is fine for DO. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the score you were looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trying to get into MD or DO schools? 506 is fine for DO. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the score you were looking for.
Thank you for the response, I am fine with going either, I just felt that my mcat was not representative of what I could do and I would prefer to go to my state md school which has an avg mcat of 512

Hm, it's a tough decision. On the one hand, your practice scores show you have the ability to score higher. But there's always a chance that you don't improve as much as you hope. It could mean you spend all that time and energy for nothing, or worse. July 22nd isn't terrible in terms of timing, but obviously it's not optimal. You could weigh taking another year as well if you want to shore up other parts of your application too. If it were me, I'd probably retake, but I'm biased given I retook and did okay.

Please let me know if I should retake.

My previous score from 9/27/20 is 502 (127/125/127/123), and the second one from 05/15/21 is 508 (129/123/126/130). My science and cumulative gpa is 3.4.

I have 1500 hours of research and 1500 hours of scribe experience.
depends on what your goals are. Also how did you score on your practice exams? You already did what many retakers hope to do, which is improve considerably. 129 is CP is really impressive too. I would probably lean against, personally.

I suggest retaking, but before you do, make sure it was just a fluke. If it was the test anxiety, look up online some tips.

I am a non-trad applicant. I applied last cycle, took the MCAT and got a 508(125/126/129/128). I retook the MCAT on June 4th and just got my score back. I, unfortunately, got another 508 (125/128/128/127). This surprised me as I did a lot different this time and my average on the AAMC FLs was a 514. I was also averaging around a 128 in C/P. I have a pretty strong application otherwise. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.46 with a science GPA of 3.46 and a post-bacc GPA of 3.93. I have around 4000 hours of direct patient experience as an EMT. I have volunteering at a food bank and hospital along with shadowing. I can't figure out what I should do. Do I retake the MCAT in late August (only date available) or should I just go through with this cycle. I really need to get in this cycle as my student loans and everything are starting to go into repayment.

As a reapplicant, did other aspect of your application change besides your MCAT score? If not, then yeah retake the MCAT. But if you didn’t get in last year with the 4000 hours of EMT experience, you just might this year. Apply broadly to DO, and I think you should be fine.

At this point, I would not recommend a third attempt particularly with a short timeframe. With two scores that are identical, a third score, even with a significant improvement, will look like an outlier and is unlikely to move the needle. I recommend making a post asking for help with a school list and applying broadly to a combination of MD/DO programs. Make sure to go over your written application/essays carefully.

Reactions: 2 users
As a reapplicant, did other aspect of your application change besides your MCAT score? If not, then yeah retake the MCAT. But if you didn’t get in last year with the 4000 hours of EMT experience, you just might this year. Apply broadly to DO, and I think you should be fine.
I did not have the EMT experience on my last application. Im mainly worried about the 125 in C/P

I did not have the EMT experience on my last application. Im mainly worried about the 125 in C/P
A 125 will clear the minimum section score requirement for many programs. The good news is your B/B section score is excellent which tends to be more heavily weighted. While your score is a bit uneven, it isn’t a weak score. Applicants in your gpa/mcat range have a 60% acceptance rate which is quite competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
  1. MCAT: 512 (131/122/129/130)
  2. GPA: Postbac: 4.0, Undergrad bus./finance: 3.54 from 2017
  3. State: NJ
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): White male
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer MD over DO
  7. Other Facts: AAMC FLs were consistent:
    512 (129/123/130/130)
    512 (131/122/131/127)
    509 (130/122/128/129)
    511 (129/123/130/129)
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I don't think I can squeeze much more out of my sciences. I'm not sure what to think about CARS, but I accept the current score is trash. I worked with a tutor on that section for 3 months and completed all of the AAMC material. I fear a retake where I don't improve on CARS and maybe score a lower composite.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I need a retake for the MCAT or if I still have a chance with my current score.

My first attempt last fall was a 496, and this summer it was a 503.

English is my third language, and CARS was difficult for me both times and test anxiety. For both tests, my average practice exam was 10 or more points higher.

I'm a Hispanic URM. I'm applying broadly to MD and DO schools.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't retake it. Your GPA is decent for MD and good for DO, plus you are a URM. But this is just my opinion. I'm sure @Goro would be helpful in sharing his thoughts.

What do you recommend is the best MCAT prep course?

Any personal recommendations as I am trying to mostly improve upon my CARS and Psych/Soc sections.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I need a retake for the MCAT or if I still have a chance with my current score.

My first attempt last fall was a 496(124/121/124/127), and this summer it was a 503 (125/124/127/127).

English is my third language, and CARS was difficult for me both times and test anxiety. For both tests, my average practice exam was 10 or more points higher.

I'm a hispanic/latino URM, FL resident, with a 3.59 overall and 3.5s GPA. I'm applying broadly to MD and DO schools.

Thanks!
What Hispanic community do you represent? And please do not say "the Bronx"

I can't recommend a retake as you seem to have hit your plateau.

What Hispanic community do you represent? And please do not say "the Bronx"

I can't recommend a retake as you seem to have hit your plateau.
I’m Mexican, born and raised there. I moved to the US during high school.

Since a retake is not recommended due to the plateau. Would you recommend continuing on this application cycle? I already have my primaries in for DO and MD (still waiting on verification). Or taking a gap year to improve my GPA, take more science classes and then retaking the MCAT again next year.

Since a retake is not recommended due to the plateau. Would you recommend continuing on this application cycle? I already have my primaries in for DO and MD (still waiting on verification). Or taking a gap year to improve my GPA, take more science classes and then retaking the MCAT again next year.
Yes, as we need URM doctors.

List to follow. Do you have any service to Hispanic communities?

I suggest the following schools:
The three Puerto Rican schools that take mainlanders
ALL FL schools
Temple
Einstein
Hackensack Meridian
TCU/UNT
Loyola
Tulane
SLU
Albany
Wayne State
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. . I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Yes, as we need URM doctors.

List to follow. Do you have any service to Hispanic communities?
Yes, most of my clinical and non-clinical volunteering are to the hispanic community.

thank you so much for the list! I really appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Yes, most of my clinical and non-clinical volunteering are to the hispanic community. I also have an internship at a non profit focused on health assistance to the hispanic community.

thank you so much for the list! I really appreciate the help!
U TX Rio Grande might also work.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 502 (129/122/128/123)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA). Science uGPA: 3.99 and Overall GPA: 3.954
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Iowa
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): White Male
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): MD
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 800+ hours of chemistry research, seven professional presentation (poster and oral) and national and local conventions, (with publication in the working), chemistry LA and tutor (1 year each), advanced human physiology and anatomy SI (1 semester), 160+ hours of non healthcare volunteering, distinguished senior nominee, First AID/AED/CNA/BLS/CPR certified, 100+ healthcare volunteering (excluding current year volunteering full time as patient advocate), and pharmacy technician for 1.5 years part time.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I used Kaplan books and other free sources like Jack Westin, and used UWorld for practice questions.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? For Chem and Bio I consistently score between 128-130 depending on the difficulty of the passages and I feel pretty good on those but I am still consistently studying them. Psych/Soc I typical score between 126-128 on practice AAMC and Kaplan exams but for the official it just was a very difficult section and I surprisingly didn't meet my standards, but I know I can definitely do better. CARS is my weakest section by far, I typically score between 122-123. I have trouble focusing and choosing an option putting it form my words to the answer choices. I have tried multiple different strategies and approaches and I am just looking for any advice on what to use on how to improve on CARS.

Hi everyone,

I worked my ass off and test day I bombed it in CARS. 130/123/129/126. I feel sort of devastated. Should I retake this horrible exam?

Thank you very much,
FxSalvation

What were your FL scores?
From FL1-4

505 508 511 511

Cars always was my weakest

I am shooting for DO and MD if possible

I have scribing experience and patient interaction experience

3.5 gpa, science gpa is probably 3.4

Last edited:
You’re good for DO but MD will be an uphill climb with your GPA/MCAT combo unless you are from a favorable state. Personally I would recommend applying broadly and only retake after an unsuccessful cycle.

You’re good for DO but MD will be an uphill climb with your GPA/MCAT combo unless you are from a favorable state. Personally I would recommend applying broadly and only retake after an unsuccessful cycle.
Very much appreciate the response. That is what I'm thinking. Overall, I'm quite stressed about it. Thank you for your insight.

Very much appreciate the response. That is what I'm thinking. Overall, I'm quite stressed about it. Thank you for your insight.
It’s definitely a stressful process! A 508 is a respectable score and 3 of your sections are quite strong. Cars is a tricky section and some programs are willing to overlook a low score, particularly if there are other factors at play. I would make a school list post to get input from others about programs you can target. If you are a resident of California or Texas a 508 is low but if you are a resident of NV, NM, etc a 508 is well above the mean. Best of luck to you.

Honestly, I think that the 508 is a great score. I can see getting a couple of II IF you have a well rounded application. This doesn't just apply to you but to everyone. Also know, that the MCAT has little to none (IMO) relevance to your ability to pass medical school exams. If you feel that you can improve the score then by all means take it again. Keep in mind that you're
1) Putting more stress on yourself
2) Risking Medical schools see a decline trend (if you have taken in multiple times)

I agree with GreenDuck12 that you should take a good look at the school lists for their average MCAT and GPA but also consider the location and if you feel the school can provide you a solid education.

@GreenDuck12
I am a CA resident, so I feel that I am going to have to shoot for an out of state institution (definitely will apply to majority of DO schools in CA). To circumvent this low-MCAT score, I will have to apply broadly. Definitely am compiling a handy-dandy excel sheet with pertinent admission statistics + mission statements. Thanks for your help and thoughts!

@Byakkz
I completely agree with you. I am shooting for a well rounded application, and I have a solid upward trend for my university gpa (definitely slipped up my first year, grew out of it and learned), all I can do now is do my best for my EC's and hope to stand out one way or the other. Yeah, I think I am not going to retake the exam unless I don't make it in my first cycle of applying. Way too stressful as I work 40 hrs/week and I also don't want to do worse, like you stated. Thanks for your thoughts and help!

@GreenDuck12
I am a CA resident, so I feel that I am going to have to shoot for an out of state institution (definitely will apply to majority of DO schools in CA). To circumvent this low-MCAT score, I will have to apply broadly. Definitely am compiling a handy-dandy excel sheet with pertinent admission statistics + mission statements. Thanks for your help and thoughts!

@Byakkz
I completely agree with you. I am shooting for a well rounded application, and I have a solid upward trend for my university gpa (definitely slipped up my first year, grew out of it and learned), all I can do now is do my best for my EC's and hope to stand out one way or the other. Yeah, I think I am not going to retake the exam unless I don't make it in my first cycle of applying. Way too stressful as I work 40 hrs/week and I also don't want to do worse, like you stated. Thanks for your thoughts and help!
Perfect, just keep adding to your resume and you'll be good. Just as a reminder not to try hard to "stand out". Meaning that people do have some characteristics about their application that are interesting but overall it's pretty generic. What I would suggest for you to focus on is how to solidly answer "Why" do I want to be a doctor? Just be genuine and it will reach the admissions committee when you get to the interview step. In the end, everyone should be relatively qualified to be a doctor, but do YOU have the determination and compassion it takes to serve others. :)

1. MCAT: 512 (131/122/129/130)
  2. GPA: Postbac: 4.0, Undergrad bus./finance: 3.54 from 2017
  3. State: NJ
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): White male
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer MD over DO
  7. Other Facts: AAMC FLs were consistent:
    512 (129/123/130/130)
    512 (131/122/131/127)
    509 (130/122/128/129)
    511 (129/123/130/129)
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I don't think I can squeeze much more out of my sciences. I'm not sure what to think about CARS, but I accept the current score is trash. I worked with a tutor on that section for 3 months and completed all of the AAMC material. I fear a retake where I don't improve on CARS and maybe score a lower composite.
Out of curiosity, how much do you read? Like read a book for the sake of reading and understanding for pleasure. You are clearly very intelligent!

Perfect, just keep adding to your resume and you'll be good. Just as a reminder not to try hard to "stand out". Meaning that people do have some characteristics about their application that are interesting but overall it's pretty generic. What I would suggest for you to focus on is how to solidly answer "Why" do I want to be a doctor? Just be genuine and it will reach the admissions committee when you get to the interview step. In the end, everyone should be relatively qualified to be a doctor, but do YOU have the determination and compassion it takes to serve others. :)
*Rock solid advice.* Thank you!!

Hey! I just wanted to say that I also got a 508 with a 123 cars and got my first II a couple weeks back. I applied to both MD and DO schools. You got this!

• Love
This score is right around where you were with your practice tests, so I wouldn't retake. Your chances at MD aren't too great because many schools screen applicants out if they have any section less than a 125, but you'll be fine for DO.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I am applying this cycle with a 514 MCAT, 3.8 GPA (129 CP/128 CARS/127 BIO/130 PS). My application is otherwise strong but no standout research etc. Also FWIW 4th quartile CASPER. I am coming from a HYPSM school and applying to mid-tier/top-tier med schools with my eyes set on places like Geisel, UC San Diego, UChicago, UCSF, Brown, USC, etc. I know that for the ultra-competitive medical schools, 514 is low. I am wondering if it would be advisable to retake in September if I can get my FL scores up to like 518 or if I should forget about it. I have already submitted primaries/secondaries and would essentially be submitting a new MCAT score as an update late in the cycle. Weird idea?

I got a 507 on my MCAT. 130/122/129/126. CARS was the lowest section. My GPA is 3.77. Should I retake, or just start applying to schools and hope for the best?

507 is good but it depends on the rest of your application and your goals. what state are you from? extracurriculars? do you care if you want DO or only MD?

Also check to make sure the schools you are targeting don’t require certain subsection scores. One of the schools I applied to required at least a 123 in sections.

A 122 cars section is problematic. That being said there are some instances where schools offer more leeway to a low score in cars: English as a non-native language, etc. Is a 122 in cars consistent with your scores on practice AAMC exams?

If you feel confident you can maintain your impressive 130 and 129 subscores, it might be worthwhile to take it again and push P/S up by 1 and CARS up by hopefully 3. Taking four months to focus on CARS should be plenty of preparation time. There are programs available specific to CARS that are said to be great. For years people have raved about JW and Testing Solutions. Do all of the AAMC CARS materials multiple times and zero in on how they ask questions and what type of answer choices they typically give.