This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2
This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.

Template:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?
Definitely Retake:
  • Scores <495
  • Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
  • if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
  • if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
  • if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
  • if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
  • if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
  • if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
  • if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
Retake only in some circumstances depending on your goal:
  • if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
  • if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
  • if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
  • if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
  • if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Thanks to @MCATKINGS for updating this thread.

Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Dhooy7, we very highly recommend Uworld! Preparing for an MCAT Retake is all about learning from your mistakes. One of the best ways to learn from some of the mistakes you make is by learning from the detailed answer explanations UWorld provides.

Dhooy7, we very highly recommend Uworld! Preparing for an MCAT Retake is all about learning from your mistakes. One of the best ways to learn from some of the mistakes you make is by learning from the detailed answer explanations UWorld provides.
I did PS UWORLD and really helped me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Preparing for re-app.
  1. 511 (123/128/128/132) May 2017
  2. Undergrad: cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.2; Grad school (public health): 3.8; DIY post-bacc: 3.7
  3. State/Country of residence: Ohio but moving to D.C.
  4. ORM
  5. I'm drawn towards MD programs due to my perceived bias against DOs in academic medical centers but at the end of the day a doctor's a doctor
  6. Lots of clinical research (2 publications, numerous poster presentations), 1500+ clinical volunteer hours. I've received feedback and the main weakness in my app from last year is lack of shadowing hours & non-clinical volunteering. Non-trad w/ work experience in health insurance and administration.
  7. 6 months total study time: 3 month content review + 3 months intensive studying w/ practice exams every weekend
  8. I feel like I can improve my C/P portion. I took it w/o taking physics 2 and I thought I could self-teach the topic, but that didn't turn out well. I'm mainly worried about not being able to replicate my P/S score. However, I burned through almost all of the full-length practice tests (Princeton, Kaplan, AAMC, ect.) so I'm not sure how much I'll retain/if future practice tests will not be representative of what my new score would be.

Preparing for re-app.
  1. 511 (123/128/128/132) May 2017
  2. Undergrad: cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.2; Grad school (public health): 3.8; DIY post-bacc: 3.7
  3. State/Country of residence: Ohio but moving to D.C.
  4. ORM
  5. I'm drawn towards MD programs due to my perceived bias against DOs in academic medical centers but at the end of the day a doctor's a doctor
  6. Lots of clinical research (2 publications, numerous poster presentations), 1500+ clinical volunteer hours. I've received feedback and the main weakness in my app from last year is lack of shadowing hours & non-clinical volunteering. Non-trad w/ work experience in health insurance and administration.
  7. 6 months total study time: 3 month content review + 3 months intensive studying w/ practice exams every weekend
  8. I feel like I can improve my C/P portion. I took it w/o taking physics 2 and I thought I could self-teach the topic, but that didn't turn out well. I'm mainly worried about not being able to replicate my P/S score. However, I burned through almost all of the full-length practice tests (Princeton, Kaplan, AAMC, ect.) so I'm not sure how much I'll retain/if future practice tests will not be representative of what my new score would be.

You're in a difficult position because a 123 isn't good but retaking a 511 would only be advised if you can get a 515+ on retake with ideally all sections better. You already maxed out on P/S but I doubt a drop from a 132 to a 129-130 would be bad (a 132 --> 126 however can raise eyebrows).

Something to consider is DOs can match into academic residencies and have academic careers. It can be difficult depending on the specialty but it's not impossible.

I suggest making a thread in What Are My Chances? forum with more complete details including prior app cycle info so that experts can better advise.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 506 - 128/126/125/127
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.87 (sGPA: 3.84)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): TX
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): any TX med school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I think that I have strong ECs ( 2 years research, shadowing, volunteer, etc)
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Studied for 3 months using Kaplan books/FLs and AAMC practice materials
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I think if i can spend enough time I can increase my score by a few points

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 506 - 128/126/125/127
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.87 (sGPA: 3.84)
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): any TX med school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I think that I have strong ECs ( 2 years research, shadowing, volunteer, etc)
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Studied for 3 months using Kaplan books/FLs and AAMC practice materials
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I think if i can spend enough time I can increase my score by a few points
It is awesome that you have ECs that will set you apart and a GPA that is competitive. That being said, if you look at (on the latest MSAR) the median MCAT scores of Texas schools, it seems as if your application would only be competitive at one school in Texas (UT Rio Grande). The median is obviously a measure of central tendency so you still could have a chance at other schools in Texas, but we would not consider you to likely be competitive at these other schools. Your best bet is to post in the "what are my chances" forum and ask specifically about Texas Schools. If you chose to retake, incorporate UWorld passages into your prep. UWorld provides tremendous answer explanations and their passages help students improve dramatically.

I think sometimes school will screen out 123 and below :/ you have an usual case bcz u scored really well in other sections. I would say retake it

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): (125/123!/125/128), (126/123!!/125/128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cgpa: 3.5, sgpa 3.3, upwards trends
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): URM, A.A. female
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): TX MD?
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 50 hours shadowing, ER/clinic scribe ~400 hrs (still working), 3rd author publication, research x3.5 years, TA for 4 semesters, organization founder/president
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: practice scores are higher than actual scores. i test in similar environment but am often anxious
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? unsure :/

Last edited:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): (125/123!/125/128), (126/123!!/125/128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cgpa: 3.5, sgpa 3.3, upwards trends
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 50 hours shadowing, ER/clinic scribe ~400 hrs (still working), 3rd author publication, research x3.5 years, TA for 4 semesters, organization founder/president
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: practice scores are higher than actual scores. i test in similar environment but am often anxious
What practice exams did you take? What was your score on those practice exams?

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 509: 129/123/129/128, May 2018
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.5 sGPA, 3.6 overall, 4.0 formal postbacc (last 60 quarter units straight A's)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): CA
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM White
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): US MD (UCD, UCI)
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 2.5k professional academic tutor/mentor, 2k ER scribing, 1k bench research, 400 volunteer clinical research, 200 volunteer homeless shelter, etc. etc. No publications yet.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Went ham, got ****ed by CARS
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? 100%
Got 1 interview this cycle, screwed it up apparently :(

I technically already retook the MCAT but I'd really love any advice!

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): First 509 (126/126/129/128), Second 507 (127/125/129/126) ...ouch :eek:
2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA): 3.71 uGPA, 3.62 sGPA
3. State/Country of residence (optional): NY
4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Black
5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Really any MD school that would accept me preferably on the east coast, but willing to travel. I guess I'm also open to DO, but I'd need to learn more about it as an option!
Haven't been that active in clubs as I would have liked (just went to events for fun really). Aside from my major's (Biomedical Engineering) society, I'm a part of two honor societies one for my major and one for engineering, technically was three but I rarely went to events/meetings for it. 600+ hours non-clinical volunteering, planning to get clinical experience (and really any more experience) during two gap years to make up for lack of it (decided to apply next cycle instead of this one). Currently doing a semester of research, could get published soon-ish based on what my prof tells me, and I told him I'd help out post-graduation anyways.
7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Should admit that first time I didn't study at all and had to rush the last section since I didn't take a bathroom break (TMI sorry), but I had to pee the whole test and I just wanted to finish ASAP. Second time I crammed but had a history midterm the day before. These are excuses and I know it's all on me for not preparing better.
For the time I actually "studied" I didn't take any of the practice tests that came with the test prep I got just read the books, so I'm definitely going to try with that and see how I do before I make any decisions. Since I can't say I had a dedicated study period and even knew where I messed up on the exams (specific questions, esp on P/S) I think I could do better. But its a matter of HOW MUCH better, not just a few points up. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
What practice exams did you take? What was your score on those practice exams?

For my second take I took EK 3 (57%) and 4 (61%)
Aamc FL 1 (124/126/129/128)
Fl2 (127/125/128/125)
FL 3 (128/125/127/125)
Sample converted (124/129/130/127)

I took the aamc FLs for my first take so they may be inflated but I was able to score 124-125 in CARS and 128 in b/b
P/S and C/P were pretty stable at 125 for my first aamc FL's (I dont have the data because it was pre prep hub)
I took NS1-4 and averaged 501 first time around.

Last edited:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 509: 129/123/129/128, May 2018
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.5 sGPA, 3.6 overall, 4.0 formal postbacc (last 60 quarter units straight A's)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): CA
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM White
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): US MD (UCD, UCI)
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 2.5k professional academic tutor/mentor, 2k ER scribing, 1k bench research, 400 volunteer clinical research, 200 volunteer homeless shelter, etc. etc. No publications yet.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Went ham, got ****ed by CARS
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? 100%
Got 1 interview this cycle, screwed it up apparently :(

The 123 probably hurt you. When did you apply? If you applied in Aug as opposed to June, the timing could also explain the lack of interview invites. Hard to say without knowing your complete application profile, schools applied, dates complete etc. You should make a What Are My Chances? thread if you haven't done so to get more specific input from Goro and Faha.

If you applied on June and rest of your application is strong and your school list is good, then you might want to consider retaking, but right now, it's hard to say.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 514: 130/122!/132/130, March 2019
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.62 sGPA, 3.73 overall - Upward Trend - 3.12 freshman year, 3.98 sophomore & junior year, 3.85 senior
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): MI
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM White - Moved to US as refugee from Iraq in 2008 - Citizen
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): US MD (UMich is the dream)
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Was on pell grant - financially disadvantaged - ESL - 1 year clinical work as RA at nursing facility, 550 hours research with poster presentation and grant from NIH, Physics 2 lab co-instructor for a semester before graduating, 5 years in IT/tech position, will be doing research during this gap year (at UMich), 120 hours shadowing, 70 hours volunteering as high school tutor, Published iOS app for hemodialysis machines errors diagnostics, working on in-silico cell model during my free time
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? 50% sure I can, I was expecting cars to be 124 min, 126 max, everything else was around my expectation
Ouch, you're in a tough spot because a 122 is low. But the rest of the sections look strong and you're ESL. But I'd only suggest retaking if you can actually consistently bump above 126-127 on CARS while ensuring your retake score is above 517. That is difficult.

Consider making a thread in What Are My Chances? forum to get more input from Goro and Faha. It's a difficult situation.

I technically already retook the MCAT but I'd really love any advice!

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): First 509 (126/126/129/128), Second 507 (127/125/129/126) ...ouch :eek:
2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA): 3.71 uGPA, 3.62 sGPA
3. State/Country of residence (optional): NY
4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Black
5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Really any MD school that would accept me preferably on the east coast, but willing to travel. I guess I'm also open to DO, but I'd need to learn more about it as an option!
Haven't been that active in clubs as I would have liked (just went to events for fun really). Aside from my major's (Biomedical Engineering) society, I'm a part of two honor societies one for my major and one for engineering, technically was three but I rarely went to events/meetings for it. 600+ hours non-clinical volunteering, planning to get clinical experience (and really any more experience) during two gap years to make up for lack of it (decided to apply next cycle instead of this one). Currently doing a semester of research, could get published soon-ish based on what my prof tells me, and I told him I'd help out post-graduation anyways.
7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Should admit that first time I didn't study at all and had to rush the last section since I didn't take a bathroom break (TMI sorry), but I had to pee the whole test and I just wanted to finish ASAP. Second time I crammed but had a history midterm the day before. These are excuses and I know it's all on me for not preparing better.
For the time I actually "studied" I didn't take any of the practice tests that came with the test prep I got just read the books, so I'm definitely going to try with that and see how I do before I make any decisions. Since I can't say I had a dedicated study period and even knew where I messed up on the exams (specific questions, esp on P/S) I think I could do better. But its a matter of HOW MUCH better, not just a few points up. :confused:

The score drop will hurt. Since you didn't really study in your previous attempts, I suggest using one of the study plans found in the MCAT forums and spend a few months really preparing for the exam and take a lot of practice tests and actively review them. I think you'll be okay with 512-513+ on the retake, but you need to make sure you study really hard and really well. Also please take the exam seriously because schools will see all your scores and won't be happy if your score dropped because of lack of proper preparation.

For my second take I took EK 3 (57%) and 4 (61%)
Aamc FL 1 (124/126/129/128)
Fl2 (127/125/128/125)
FL 3 (128/125/127/125)
Sample converted (124/129/130/127)

I took the aamc FLs for my first take so they may be inflated but I was able to score 124-125 in CARS and 128 in b/b
P/S and C/P were pretty stable at 125 for my first aamc FL's (I dont have the data because it was pre prep hub)
I took NS1-4 and averaged 501 first time around.
I think something in your study strategy is hurting you. But first, consider making a thread in the What Are My Chances? forum and getting input from Goro and Faha because I'm not sure if you need to retake the MCAT again based on your application profile. Yes the MCATs are low but part of preparing for a successful retake depends on what score to aim for to be successful, and that depends on your overall application profile and the schools you're aiming for, which SDN experts can better advise. If you do need to retake, feel free to stop by in the MCAT Forums and lay out your complete strategy so that we can better advise you on how to knock the exam out successfully.

The 123 probably hurt you. When did you apply? If you applied in Aug as opposed to June, the timing could also explain the lack of interview invites. Hard to say without knowing your complete application profile, schools applied, dates complete etc. You should make a What Are My Chances? thread if you haven't done so to get more specific input from Goro and Faha.

If you applied on June and rest of your application is strong and your school list is good, then you might want to consider retaking, but right now, it's hard to say.

Submitted primary 7/3, verified 8/9, wasn't complete at any school until the mid-late of August (UCD, which didn't get back to me until February), most completes were in September. Personal statement was really bad apparently. Faha gave me my school list.

I've already been studying for my MCAT on 5/31 and I feel confident I can score better on CARS this time around, so I think I am just going to go for it.

I think something in your study strategy is hurting you. But first, consider making a thread in the What Are My Chances? forum and getting input from Goro and Faha because I'm not sure if you need to retake the MCAT again based on your application profile. Yes the MCATs are low but part of preparing for a successful retake depends on what score to aim for to be successful, and that depends on your overall application profile and the schools you're aiming for, which SDN experts can better advise. If you do need to retake, feel free to stop by in the MCAT Forums and lay out your complete strategy so that we can better advise you on how to knock the exam out successfully.
Thank you so much, will do!

I got my mcat score today, and it's not good 498 121 chem/phys, 124 cars, 125 bio, 127 phys/soc. My chemistry score is lower than ALL the practice tests I've taken. My practice avg for chem was 124-125. Cars was also a couple points below my average. I felt like the chemistry section of the test was much harder than all of the practice material I used. I took a kaplan prep course and used aamc question pack, section banks, and practice tests. I'm an upper 30s non-traditional student, with a decade as an er nurse and 2 decades as a paramedic. My overall GPA is around a 3.4 with 215+ credit hrs that spans 20 years. My most recent course work was about 65 credit hrs of mostly upper level sciences (3.9 GPA on all recent courses) to complete my pre-med undergrad degree taken part time between 2014-2017 while working full time. I have so many undergrad credits that it u.s impossible to raise my GPA. I do have solid letters of recommendation from instructors and the medical director where I'm employed.

Cutting back on work inorder to prep for the mcat is a major ordeal and financial burden for my family.

Is retesting a given? Will I be able to apply this cycle or will it be too late if I retest during the summer? Is there any hope that someone will give me a chance?

Last edited:
I got my mcat score today, and it's not good 498 121 chem/phys, 124 cars, 125 bio, 127 phys/soc. My chemistry score is lower than ALL the practice tests I've taken. My practice avg for chem was 124-125. Cars was also a couple points below my average. I felt like the chemistry section of the test was much harder than all of the practice material I used. I took a kaplan prep course and used aamc question pack, section banks, and practice tests. I'm an upper 30s non-traditional student, with a decade as an er nurse and 2 decades as a paramedic. My overall GPA is around a 3.4 with 215+ credit hrs that spans 20 years. My most recent course work was about 65 credit hrs of mostly upper level sciences (3.9 GPA on all recent courses) to complete my pre-med undergrad degree taken part time between 2014-2017 while working full time. I have so many undergrad credits that it u.s impossible to raise my GPA. I do have solid letters of recommendation from instructors and the medical director where I'm employed.

Cutting back on work inorder to prep for the mcat is a major ordeal and financial burden for my family.

Is retesting a given? Will I be able to apply this cycle or will it be too late if I retest during the summer? Is there any hope that someone will give me a chance?
I'd retake. You would have a chance at the new DO schools tho.

Call the admissions offices of the programs you're interested in and ask them. They will give you the best feedback into whether or not you'd be granted a secondary application and/or interview. In my case, I wasn't much better off with a 501 and way lower GPA and I was granted 4 interviews at DO schools (most programs less than 10 years old). However what we have in common is life experience, and many DO programs love that. Give them a call, tell them your story, and see what tips they can give you. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users

So Goro said I can still expect some in state interviews with my stats and only to retake the mcat if I can recieve a 507+. What strategies can I utilize in order to make such a score?

Thank you!

Last edited:
So

So Goro said I can still expect some in state interviews with my stats and only to retake the mcat if I can recieve a 507+. What strategies can I utilize in order to make such a score?

Thank you!
LA
Lots of practice (UWORLd and FLs) and focusing on weaknesses.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): First 510 (126/130/124/130) Second 512 (128/129/124/131)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.76 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Maryland
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): USUHS is my top choice, but I'll go wherever they'll take me (I'd be happy to attend a DO school)
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Currently working full-time as a medical assistant, lots of clinical and shadowing hours, did a summer research internship at USUHS, spent the following summer interning at the White House, no publications but I presented a poster at a national conference
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I consistently scored 126-127 on the B/B section on practice exams, not sure what went wrong on the day of the test.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I think I could, but I really want to apply this cycle, which would mean taking the test by the end of May.

renderTimingPixel.png

I know I have a lot of Extracurriculars, but my MCAT and GPA are both below average and I know that is how med schools weed out applicants. I'm already taking a gap year, and want to make sure I get in this cycle because I really don't want to take another year off. I really want MD but am open to DO if I have to.

MCAT: 509 (125/125/129/130)
cGPA: Still waiting on final grades to be posted but either a 3.58 or a 3.6ish
  • Research:
    • Did 4 separate research projects over the course of 5-6 semesters,
    • 2 are published and 1 is pending publication.
    • Presented in 2 undergraduate research showcases, and plan to present in one-two more during my gap year. (hopefully) (600 + hours)

• Volunteering (non clinical):
    • Planning on spending two weekends at a camp for children with illnesses. (96 hours)
    • Started a program in 2009 that I did throughout college to donate collected money to a local pet shelter.
    • Did a few events through the Neuroscience Club at school - travelled to high schools to teach neuroscience material to help prepare them for a competition and other events like that. (120 hours total for the whole club)

• Volunteering (Clinical) :
    • Volunteered at free clinic for homeless people just doing basic administrative work (90-100 hours)
    • Volunteered at Local Hospital doing basic administrative work also. (100 hours)

• Physician Shadowing:
    • 80 total in three private practice offices.

• Employment History (Clinical):
    • 1 year in hospital as EMT in an ICU
    • Hopefully going to work a 9-5 as a medical assistant during my gap year.

Schools applying to: UCF UM, FIU, UF, FSU, USF, FAU Nova (DO)
How do I look for these schools? Also are there any other out of state schools I should be applying to with these stats? I don't know if I'm competitive for any out of state schools with my GPA and MCAT.

renderTimingPixel.png

I know I have a lot of Extracurriculars, but my MCAT and GPA are both below average and I know that is how med schools weed out applicants. I'm already taking a gap year, and want to make sure I get in this cycle because I really don't want to take another year off. I really want MD but am open to DO if I have to.

MCAT: 509 (125/125/129/130)
cGPA: Still waiting on final grades to be posted but either a 3.58 or a 3.6ish
  • Research:
    • Did 4 separate research projects over the course of 5-6 semesters,
    • 2 are published and 1 is pending publication.
    • Presented in 2 undergraduate research showcases, and plan to present in one-two more during my gap year. (hopefully) (600 + hours)

• Volunteering (non clinical):
    • Planning on spending two weekends at a camp for children with illnesses. (96 hours)
    • Started a program in 2009 that I did throughout college to donate collected money to a local pet shelter.
    • Did a few events through the Neuroscience Club at school - travelled to high schools to teach neuroscience material to help prepare them for a competition and other events like that. (120 hours total for the whole club)

• Volunteering (Clinical) :
    • Volunteered at free clinic for homeless people just doing basic administrative work (90-100 hours)
    • Volunteered at Local Hospital doing basic administrative work also. (100 hours)

• Physician Shadowing:
    • 80 total in three private practice offices.

• Employment History (Clinical):
    • 1 year in hospital as EMT in an ICU
    • Hopefully going to work a 9-5 as a medical assistant during my gap year.
Schools applying to: UCF UM, FIU, UF, FSU, USF, FAU Nova (DO)
How do I look for these schools? Also are there any other out of state schools I should be applying to with these stats? I don't know if I'm competitive for any out of state schools with my GPA and MCAT.
Hello!

You might want to post in the What Are My Chances thread to get more details on these specific schools - some of the experts on that thread might suggest you apply to more schools. That being said, you absolutely should not retake your MCAT if you are looking to apply to mid-tier schools like the ones you have listed. For example, FSU is a phenomenal medical school and their median MCAT was a 507. You are above that! There are plenty of schools that you will be a very competitive applicant at with these stats and these extracurriculars. Best of luck!

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): First 510 (126/130/124/130) Second 512 (128/129/124/131)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.76 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Maryland
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): USUHS is my top choice, but I'll go wherever they'll take me (I'd be happy to attend a DO school)
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Currently working full-time as a medical assistant, lots of clinical and shadowing hours, did a summer research internship at USUHS, spent the following summer interning at the White House, no publications but I presented a poster at a national conference
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I consistently scored 126-127 on the B/B section on practice exams, not sure what went wrong on the day of the test.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I think I could, but I really want to apply this cycle, which would mean taking the test by the end of May.
Retaking the MCAT is extremely challenging so congrats on the score boost you saw. If you would truly be happy with DO, there is absolutely no reason for you to Retake this exam. USUHS and some other medical schools might filter you out because of your low Bio section score, but you will certainly not be filtered out by DO schools and probably not filtered out by some MD schools. Good luck!

Retaking the MCAT is extremely challenging so congrats on the score boost you saw. If you would truly be happy with DO, there is absolutely no reason for you to Retake this exam. USUHS and some other medical schools might filter you out because of your low Bio section score, but you will certainly not be filtered out by DO schools and probably not filtered out by some MD schools. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! I've talked to my mentor and called the admissions offices of my top choice MD programs and have decided not to retake the MCAT. I'd rather spend this month focusing on my application and improving my personal statement than studying for an exam with no guarantee of getting a better score the third time around.

Thank you for the advice! I've talked to my mentor and called the admissions offices of my top choice MD programs and have decided not to retake the MCAT. I'd rather spend this month focusing on my application and improving my personal statement than studying for an exam with no guarantee of getting a better score the third time around.
Awesome! Good luck with your application!

Could someone give me some advice as to whether or not I should consider a retake for a 510 (129/124/128/129) with a 3.79 science GPA and a 3.83 cumulative gpa.

Could someone give me some advice as to whether or not I should consider a retake for a 510 (129/124/128/129) with a 3.79 science GPA and a 3.83 cumulative gpa.

Hi! Thanks for asking - retaking is a personal decision; a 510 is a great score and you probably will not need to re-take but we all might be able to provide better advice if you share more info with us! What is your goal for medical school? What were your practice exam scores going into the exam?

Hi! Thanks for asking - retaking is a personal decision; a 510 is a great score and you probably will not need to re-take but we all might be able to provide better advice if you share more info with us! What is your goal for medical school? What were your practice exam scores going into the exam?
I am applying to approximately 45-50 allopathic schools and I am an ORM. I am a NJ resident and I was scoring anywhere from a 510-515 on practice exams. My premed advisor said I would not likely get into a US MD school and to start preparing for a retake of MCAT and look to apply next year.

I am applying to approximately 45-50 allopathic schools and I am an ORM. I am a NJ resident and I was scoring anywhere from a 510-515 on practice exams. My premed advisor said I would not likely get into a US MD school and to start preparing for a retake of MCAT and look to apply next year.

Okay! Tell me more; 40-50 allopathic schools is a lot! What tier are you planning on applying? Is DO completely off the table?

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 509 (127/123/131/128) >>> 2nd take 510 (128/124/128/130)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) uGPA 3.72; grad GPA 3.78; science GPA 3.7
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): AZ
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): preferably west coast/CA schools - ideally UCLA, USC; but also willing to go anywhere that I get accepted
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I've been in various research labs throughout undergrad; worked at a tutoring center while doing my grad program, and currently looking for ER tech / scribe job during my extra gap year.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I definitely rushed the first exam which I took in January because I planned to apply this cycle. I felt ready for the second one but for some reason, my score didn't reflect how I felt. CARS is always my hardest section and I feel like I can't improve my score past 125.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I'm hoping that being out of school and taking my time more with studying can help me do better, but other than that trying to figure out a new study schedule right now.
I wanted to know if I should retake the MCAT a third time, and will that look bad for applications. I'm also super worried about the drop in my bio score. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated :)

BMH, the dreaded CARS! If you are truly willing to go anywhere you get in, you do not have to retake this exam. Every school likes to see above a 125, but there are plenty of schools that will interview and accepts students that have below a 124 in CARS. The rest of your section grades show that you are more than proficient in the sciences. Do not worry about the bio drop, both scores are very good.

Hi, I've just received my MCAT score today. 123 is for critical analysis and reasoning skills. This is the first time I took the test. I'm applying this cycle. Should I retake the test, I have scheduled one for July. The thing is that 509 is much higher than I expected. I got 495 on the practice test I took 1 month before that. I'm not sure if I could get a higher score on the next one. But will the 123 really hurt the application? Please help me. Thank you!

I would not retake! If the rest of your app is good (including GPA), there are no red flags, and you apply broadly then you should get some interviews. My MCAT was similar, and I had 3 MD interviews, 10 DO interviews, and multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not retake! If the rest of your app is good (including GPA), and there are no red flags you should get some interviews. My MCAT was similar, and I had 3 MD interviews, 10 DO interviews, and multiple acceptances.

Thank you! My GPAs are 3.83 from university (engineering major) and 3.94 at community college before I transferred.

Wow - congrats on seeing that increase in the last month. a 123 in CARS can definitely hold you back from some schools but learn more about Jaxey and the schools they applied to - clearly they did something right with that 123!

I can see some schools cutting you some slack if English is your second language. Other than that, apply and don’t retake!

Reactions: 2 users
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 497 (122/126/124/125) (score received yesterday)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) upward trend sGPA 3.2 cGPA 3.5 (end of junior year)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): IN
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Caucasian
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): any DO specifically, I know you should apply to both but MD would be ridiculous with my stats at the moment and I have loved every DO I have shadowed/talked to
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 100 hours shadowing (DO and MD), 300 hours clinical volunteer work, many undergrad EC's, research (no publications),
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I took the Kaplan course which makes it ever more disappointing that I did so poorly. Clearly chem/phys wrecked me and although it's my weakest area I was consistently scoring 124/125 on the aamc FL prior to test. My best practice was 499 and I was hopeful that if I did my best (based on all scored sections) a 503/504 would have been possible. Not shocked but aamc FL's were 498/499/499.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I would have been "fine" with my score if chem/phys wasn't so bad, however I know I messed up the timing on that section pretty badly so while yes it was my weakest content, I also know it was nerves from it being the 1st section of the test. Thanks in advance I am so appreciative of any advice. Regarding re-take, my question isn't necessarily "IF" but when? Is it worth it to study this summer and re-take in august for this cycle or do I need to just bank on taking gap year and applying next cycle?

Regarding re-take, my question isn't necessarily "IF" but when? Is it worth it to study this summer and re-take in august for this cycle or do I need to just bank on taking gap year and applying next cycle?

It seems as if you're very confident that you need to retake the MCAT. I would suggest you do more research until you jump to that conclusion! Consider posting in the what are my chances thread.

If you do decide to retake, I would not recommend taking it in August and expecting it to make a large impact this cycle. If you think you will be ready in August, you should take it then but do not rush to take it in August to have a score for this cycle. You want to take your time preparing for this exam and make sure that you are ready to see a significant improvement when you sit down on test day. Do not rush your prep just to have a score by this cycle!

Good luck :)

It seems as if you're very confident that you need to retake the MCAT. I would suggest you do more research until you jump to that conclusion! Consider posting in the what are my chances thread.

If you do decide to retake, I would not recommend taking it in August and expecting it to make a large impact this cycle. If you think you will be ready in August, you should take it then but do not rush to take it in August to have a score for this cycle. You want to take your time preparing for this exam and make sure that you are ready to see a significant improvement when you sit down on test day. Do not rush your prep just to have a score by this cycle!

Good luck :)

Thanks! With avg DO matriculant score being ~504 how would I not need to retake this? I'm just curious. Really appreciate what
you are doing!

Thanks! With avg DO matriculant score being ~504 how would I not need to retake this? I'm just curious. Really appreciate what
you are doing!
Thanks - great question! It seems like you a referring to the national average. If you look here you will see that there are some DO schools that accept an average of 500. For example, this week we did an instagram live with a student that attends VCOM. According to the source linked above, the average MCAT score at VCOM Carolinas is 500. With a 497, you are in the range of a 500 MCAT average.

Many schools with average MCAT scores this low might have a significant preferences towards in-state students or look for other criteria that you do not meet. Retaking the MCAT is enormously challenging and a big commitment so I tend to advise students to do research on schools before they make the decision! While doing research ask yourself...

1) What medical schools am I competitive at?
2) Would I like to attend any of those schools?
3) Am I comfortable being below the average MCAT score of most of the schools I apply to?

If your answer to question 2 or 3 is no, you probably want to consider retaking!

Does this help?!

Thanks - great question! It seems like you a referring to the national average. If you look here you will see that there are some DO schools that accept an average of 500. For example, this week we did an instagram live with a student that attends VCOM. According to the source linked above, the average MCAT score at VCOM Carolinas is 500. With a 497, you are in the range of a 500 MCAT average.

Many schools with average MCAT scores this low might have a significant preferences towards in-state students or look for other criteria that you do not meet. Retaking the MCAT is enormously challenging and a big commitment so I tend to advise students to do research on schools before they make the decision! While doing research ask yourself...

1) What medical schools am I competitive at?
2) Would I like to attend any of those schools?
3) Am I comfortable being below the average MCAT score of most of the schools I apply to?

If your answer to question 2 or 3 is no, you probably want to consider retaking!

Does this help?!
Yes definitely, it's a lot to consider. Thanks so much for your input!