This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2
This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.

Template:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?
Definitely Retake:
  • Scores <495
  • Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
  • if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
  • if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
  • if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
  • if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
  • if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
  • if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
  • if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
Retake only in some circumstances depending on your goal:
  • if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
  • if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
  • if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
  • if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
  • if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Thanks to @MCATKINGS for updating this thread.

Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 505 (124, 126,127,128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.9, grad GPA 3.8
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Michigan
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Neither
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Strong DO preference, I would really like to go to MSUCOM
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Published paper, > year working as a patient advocate with a DO, some leadership positions, Lots of experiences that were interesting but not in line for health care (ex working on an ecological restoration site for 3 months)
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: had only a month to study did 12 hour days during that month 7 days a week was probably burnt out
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I think I could bring up my Chem Phys section, I was consistently scoring 130 on cars in practice tests

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 505 (124, 126,127,128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.9, grad GPA 3.8
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Strong DO preference, I would really like to go to MSUCOM
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Published paper, > year working as a patient advocate with a DO, some leadership positions, Lots of experiences that were interesting but not in line for health care (ex working on an ecological restoration site for 3 months)
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: had only a month to study did 12 hour days during that month 7 days a week was probably burnt out
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I think I could bring up my Chem Phys section, I was consistently scoring 130 on cars in practice tests

I think you're a strong candidate for DO. Don't retake. I suggest posting a thread in What Are My Chances? forum and getting input from Goro, Faha and Angus Avagadro

W
This is a series of great questions!

In terms of where to apply -because sure to wait until you get your score back and then evaluate where you would like to attend.

In terms of indicating if you will be retaking or not, you need to make sure you are honest on your application. I am not sure of the exact wording of the question, but if it ask you if you will be retaking the MCAT in a time frame that can be considered for this cycle, you need to say yes. That being said, indicating this might not be strategic as many schools will wait until that score comes in. If you decide to take this exam in January, you most likely will not have to indicate that you are taking it because it will not be relevant for your application. Therefore, depending on your time frame and life events, it might be more advantageous to give yourself time and take the exam in Jan.

Would just like to give an update! I retook on August 9th, and got a 511! 127/125/129/130.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could retake, but you're already a really competitive candidate for DO schools (DO average MCAT is roughly 503). If for some reason you'd like to apply to MD schools as well, a retake would be in your benefit, as the MD average is roughly 511.

Hey y'all,

Wanted to get your insight into this?

GPA: 3.95 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA
MCAT: 511 (128, 124, 132, 127)

Do you think my stats are pretty good/competitive for MD? I don't want to retake at all, but what are some of your guys' thoughts regarding my stats/options for schools?

Any insight is valuable!

Hey y'all,

Wanted to get your insight into this?

GPA: 3.95 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA
MCAT: 511 (128, 124, 132, 127)

Do you think my stats are pretty good/competitive for MD? I don't want to retake at all, but what are some of your guys' thoughts regarding my stats/options for schools?

Any insight is valuable!
The only stat that is somewhat concerning here is your CARS score. You have not given us much other information about yourself and your goal, but start by going to MSAR and looking at your goal medical schools- see if they have admitted people with 124 or 125 CARS score.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 515 (131/128/129/127)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) uGPA 3.8/sGPA 3.76 (freshman year was a 3.5 so slight upward trend??)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): California
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Asian female
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): T20
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Research in a lab, working on a publication with my PI. Just started some clinical volunteer work (expect this to be ~1 year by the time I apply). ~2 years of non-clinical volunteer work. Shadowing ~110 hours. 1 Vice President position in student org. On campus work-study job ~2 years. Planning on becoming a TA next semester.
I know 515 is not a bad score by any means and I'm not trying to "gloat stats," or anything, but I genuinely am contemplating a retake because I want to be competitive for top tier schools. I know my ECs do not particularly stand out and that I am lacking in a lot of other parts of my application, so I was really hoping a high MCAT score would get me a foot in the door at least for some of the T20 schools. However, I'm worried that a 515 is just on the border of being screened out by a lot of these schools, as I know the median is at least around a 518 or 519, and being an Asian female, I know that often times you have to do better than the general median to avoid being screened out. Also, not too sure how med schools are going to view a 127 on P/S, as it is 70th percentile. I'm a little bit disappointed because my last scored FL a week before the actual exam was a 519 (130/130/130/129) and I really felt that I had performed at around the same level on the real thing. I studied over the summer (a little over two months) and if I retook the MCAT, I would be studying over winter break, which is about a month of intensive studying. But then again, I know that it is risky to retake a 515 because you almost have to get 520+ on the retake and I don't know if I can get my score to where it needs to be. Any advice?
]Before you make the decision about retaking or not, ask yourself what you are hoping to get out of medical school - why is it so important to go to a top 20 medical school? You are an extremely competitive applicant at almost every school in the country.

Hey guys, this is my first post on SDN and I hope I wrote this post correctly.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513 (130/123/130/130)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): 3.88 (3.91 sGPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): CA
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Asian American Male (ORM?)
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Mt. Sinai/Stony Brook/Albert Einstein/SUNY downstate/UC's
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I currently have 250 hours of clinical research experience in the emergency department. I've been in two labs (first one for a year - no pubs) and recently started at my second which has mentioned me getting my own project and being published. I have about 100 hours of shadowing experience and have submitted abstracts to two research conferences for public health research so hopefully will get 2 poster publications and will hopefully get published twice or three times under the same physician. I have about 100 hours of clinical volunteer experience and will get more from a clinic and being a hospice volunteer that I plan to do for my last year of undergrad and my gap year as well. I've also been a tutor for 3 years for calculus at my school and have been a senior intern at a local homeless shelter for 3 years as well. Lastly, for other ECs I was part of a dance team for 2 years that has won nationals once.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: My practice FL scores were: 511 (130/124/130/127) -> before I was done studying psych ; FL 2 516 (130/127/131/128) ; FL 3 517 (131/124/131/131)
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I've always been bad at cars but I hoped that FL 3 was a fluke and made a series of dumb mistakes when I reviewed it. I recognize that I never really properly reviewed CARS like I did for other sections while studying. I tried many strategies and focused on one for FL 2 and I did better. I did the same strategy on the actual but I don't know what happened. I'm scared that my 123 on that section would screen me out for many MDs. Any advice would be really helpful!

Hey guys, this is my first post on SDN and I hope I wrote this post correctly.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513 (130/123/130/130)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): 3.88 (3.91 sGPA)
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Asian American Male (ORM?)
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Mt. Sinai/Stony Brook/Albert Einstein/SUNY downstate/UC's
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: I currently have 250 hours of clinical research experience in the emergency department. I've been in two labs (first one for a year - no pubs) and recently started at my second which has mentioned me getting my own project and being published. I have about 100 hours of shadowing experience and have submitted abstracts to two research conferences for public health research so hopefully will get 2 poster publications and will hopefully get published twice or three times under the same physician. I have about 100 hours of clinical volunteer experience and will get more from a clinic and being a hospice volunteer that I plan to do for my last year of undergrad and my gap year as well. I've also been a tutor for 3 years for calculus at my school and have been a senior intern at a local homeless shelter for 3 years as well. Lastly, for other ECs I was part of a dance team for 2 years that has won nationals once.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: My practice FL scores were: 511 (130/124/130/127) -> before I was done studying psych ; FL 2 516 (130/127/131/128) ; FL 3 517 (131/124/131/131)
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I've always been bad at cars but I hoped that FL 3 was a fluke and made a series of dumb mistakes when I reviewed it. I recognize that I never really properly reviewed CARS like I did for other sections while studying. I tried many strategies and focused on one for FL 2 and I did better. I did the same strategy on the actual but I don't know what happened. I'm scared that my 123 on that section would screen me out for many MDs. Any advice would be really helpful!

This is a difficult situation. You have a good overall MCAT and a strong application. But the 123 hurts. I think you can be competitive for MD schools, but you need to make sure your essays are really strong and heavily reviewed. I also strongly suggest posting a thread in What Are My Chances? forum and seeking specific input from Goro and Faha (who are experienced with admissions) on your chances and what schools you should apply.

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT score was 510: CP 125/ CARS 127/ BB 129/ PS 129
GPA: 3.85 at a top 20 college
sGPA: 3.85
TX resident
White female
Goal Med School: UT Dell or UT Southwestern, UT McGovern
ECs: track and field team, public health internship in Haiti, public health in Switzerland, 2 labs (unpublished), work for a medical records nonprofit
My studying was self-paced and I had not taken any physics yet
I think I could do better if I took a class but I am applying in June and would only have about a month between semesters to truly grind

Is it worth it? I appreciate any advice very much.

MCAT score was 510: CP 125/ CARS 127/ BB 129/ PS 129
GPA: 3.85 at a top 20 college
sGPA: 3.85
TX resident
White female
Goal Med School: UT Dell or UT Southwestern, UT McGovern
ECs: track and field team, public health internship in Haiti, public health in Switzerland, 2 labs (unpublished), work for a medical records nonprofit
My studying was self-paced and I had not taken any physics yet
I think I could do better if I took a class but I am applying in June and would only have about a month between semesters to truly grind

Is it worth it? I appreciate any advice very much.

No! You’ve got “pedigree”. Seriously, it’s almost a stereotypically awesome culmination of experience and EC’s.

For you, I think a retake would only be beneficial if you could score around 520+. If you think that's possible, you should also consider if you have the time to study for a retake and if it would push back your application timeline. While your 124 is by no means great, it won't destroy your application. However, some schools do have minimum subsection scores that may screen you out. You should check MSAR and contact admission committees to find out for sure.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply and see how it goes. I don’t think you’d be screened out at most schools. You’re more than fine for MD/DO

You’re stats put you in a tight position where you’re just competitive enough for MD schools. Being a CA resident will make this process significantly more challenging, and that’s the nature of this process l.

I wouldn’t retake. The risk of scoring lower is too great. Put your best app forward and apply broadly. As a CA applicant, you’re looking at 30-40 schools. Consult MSAR to build a list that matches your metrics. Consider DO as well. From what I hear, Western is solid school in California.

I personally wouldn't retake. You can spend the time you would use studying for the MCAT to volunteer/shadow/gain clinical experience whatever it may be in order to improve your application. A 510 should be good enough to get into a lower tier school. I guess it depends what your goals are, if you are aiming for top notch schools you will inevitably need to retake it, but there are many low tier schools you are competitive for.

I don't have MSAR as of now, do you think you can check which UC's are considered lower tier? Thank you so much!!
It's the best money you can invest in your application. No UC's aside from riverside (unless you have an obvious connection) are considered low tier. UCI has an mcat median of 516 (accepted), 514 matriculated. Davis has an accepted median of 513 IIRC, but is heavily based on regional ties and "fit".

I would consider retaking if you want a surefire shot at MD/california, but only if you can bump your practice test scores way up. Otherwise apply very broadly.

Post in What Are My Chances and the mods will take a look at you.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 509 (130, 123,130,126)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.69, sGPA: 3.7
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Oregon
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): ORM
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer to stay somewhere in the west coast, state school OHSU is the dream school.
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Around 500 hours volunteering clinical, 200 non-clinical, 500+ research, 1000+ scribing internal medicine.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I took FL1 and FL2 2 weeks and 5 days before the actual MCAT respectively. Scored 506 and 509. Also I am an immigrant, parents did not attend college, English is my 2nd language, came to the US 12 years ago.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? c/p and b/b are on target at around 128-131 (FL1-FL2), cars in FL1 was 125, FL2 was 124, PS was 126 in both FL1/FL2, I only took 2 FL's before the actual exam. I did not take much time practicing CARS or PS (Did not do the SB and QP), I think if I try to practice them more I can bring the score up, but I do not want to if my chances are good for my state school or any other weast coast MD school in 2020 cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 508 (126/125/128/129)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.79, sGPA: 3.6 at a top 10 university. I am a chem major so maybe my grades/background will compensate for that low C/P score?
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): URM (Mexican)
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Prefer to stay somewhere on the west coast, but I understand that might not be reasonable at this point. Hoping to get into a mid-tier school.
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: ~250 hours volunteering in a clinic for underserved patient populations (involved doing their medical interviews). Spent one summer working in a lab and the past two years in a different lab where I will be on a publication (but very far down on the author list). Interned at a pharmaceutical company this past summer. First-gen college student. Hoping to shadow this year.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I studied while working full time at my internship so that was tough. I read through and took notes on all the Kaplan material and used AAMC practice questions throughout (diagnostic test, FLs, section bank). Crammed the KA psych doc in the last week.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? My score was definitely on the lower end of my FL scores (see below) and I ran out of time on the first two sections even though I had been practicing my time management and thought I had improved it. I was able to study full time over the last couple weeks and after taking FL 3 a week out, I thought I could pull off a decent score if I just worked on P/S. I don't know what to think about how much better I can do. It seems like I would do better if I was able to study full time this coming summer, but that would mean not applying this cycle which I was sort of set on. I also fear not increasing my score enough for it to make a difference. I tested recently so right now I am feeling very depressed and disillusioned about this whole system and absolutely dreading the idea of a retake, but maybe with some time my mind will change and if it seems absolutely necessary for me to retake then I will figure it out. Any advice would help so much, thanks.
    1. FL 1 511 (128, 126, 129, 128)
    2. FL 2 507 (127, 125, 128, 127)
    3. FL 3 511 (129, 128, 128, 126)

Last edited:
I'm pretty much planning on retaking, but I want to make sure I'm not being dumb.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 507 (127/127/126/127)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.2 sGPA: 3.0 (senior year, STRONG upward trend when I changed from bioengineering to biochemistry last spring. 4.0 is very likely for this semester and next, bringing those up slightly). I will most likely have a cGPA: 3.34 and sGPA: 3.2 by the time I apply. Still not great, I realize.
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Utah
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Asian/Pacific Islander
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): UUSOM, if at all possible. It would be fantastic for my husband's desired program also. Otherwise, preferably MD, but would consider DO as well.
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 4500+ hours as a CNA, started last month as an EEG tech, 100 hours clinical volunteering, 200 hours non clinical volunteering, 1000 hours of research with a pub and a poster by next app cycle, excellent LOR's from vice chair of anesthesiology at the U's hospital, my professors, and my bosses, TA for biochem/entrepreneurial lead on a project with some upper admins of hospital. Many hours of shadowing in different specialties.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: 2-3 months over the summer while working, going to school, and doing research. Very part time. Took some anki decks that were premade, did the FL's, and didn't finish the AAMC material.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes. I have a plan to study 20 hours a week (and more over Christmas break) and take in March. I would rather not go much later because next semester is going to be extremely busy for me. I was not completely solid on content, and have not used all my resources. I took it anyways because I was really hoping to not have to deal with it over this last school year.

As an aside, I would really like to avoid doing a post bacc if at all possible. My husband is going to be going for his PhD, and I don't want to hold him back from applying, nor am I willing to live apart from him. Aside from that, the U doesn't have an official post bacc program. Let me know if that is unreasonable though.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should retake the MCAT. I'm currently in the heat of the 2019-2020 application cycle; I applied to 24 programs which are listed below. The majority of my secondaries were complete in late July/early August. So far, I've received 1 interview at an MD program where I was recently waitlisted. Of course it's still early in the cycle, however, I want to be prepared for the worst. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

MCAT score: 509 (128/126/129/126)

cGPA/sGPA: 3.55/3.41 with an upward trend

Extracurricular activities:
-Non-clinical volunteering: 40 hours spent helping children with disabilities at a local school, 40 hours spent teaching health education while on an international volunteer trip, and 100 hours spent working with athletes with disabilities
-Clinical volunteering: 200 hours in an outpatient pediatric therapy clinic
-Research: 50 hours of data entry/monitoring patients
-Clinical experience: 1200+ hours split between working as a medical scribe and therapy technician
-Shadowing: 20 hours
-Recently certified EMT
-3 years on the club baseball team

LOR writers (5 total): 3 professors + 2 therapists, all of which I have solid relationships with.

PS: Reviewed by multiple people, including my pre-med advisor.

Other parts of my application:
-Raised in a rural, medically underserved area
-Applied as a disadvantaged applicant
-Attended a top 25 university

School list: Vermont, Tufts, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, WVU, UTHSC, VCU, EVMS, VTC, Albany, NYMC, UoA Tucson, Minnesota, Tulane, Loyola, Geisinger, Indiana, Alabama, Rush, MCW, Wake Forest, Georgetown, GWU

Last edited:
From the looks of it, you have a solid resume and your MCAT score is somewhere around the 77% percentile, which puts you around the 45th percentile of allopathic accepted students. I see no glaring weaknesses at the moment and therefore see no reason to take it again.

Even if for some reason 'the worst' happens, it may behoove you to just rack up EMT hours and leadership experiences or broaden your schools to include DO where the average accepted MCAT is 503.

The only reason I would retake it is if you have to be at a top school for research reasons. A 508 is an underdog for those cases.

Hope this helps,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

From the looks of it, you have a solid resume and your MCAT score is somewhere around the 77% percentile, which puts you around the 45th percentile of allopathic accepted students. I see no glaring weaknesses at the moment and therefore see no reason to take it again.

Even if for some reason 'the worst' happens, it may behoove you to just rack up EMT hours and leadership experiences or broaden your schools to include DO where the average accepted MCAT is 503.

The only reason I would retake it is if you have to be at a top school for research reasons. A 508 is an underdog for those cases.

Hope this helps,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you so much for the advice!

You don't need a mcat class (if that is what you were referring to by class) to do better. Hit the 300 page notes/anki decks + CARS daily +Berkeley Review CP + ALL QUESTIONS + more practice exams if you are going to do this. The added physics will help.

How much did you study for your MCAT? How set are you on UT Southwestern?

I studied about 250 hours over 3.5 months for my MCAT. I'm not set on UT Southwestern, I would also be interested in UT Dell

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513- 127/127/129/130
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cGPA: 3.96 sgpa: 3.92 (TMDSAS)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):TX
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Any texas md school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 2 Summer research programs, lab at home institution for 5 semesters, couple abstracts and posters, thesis will be done by senior year. 200 hours clinical volunteering, 100 hours shadowing, 360 hours community service, 1 semester TA. I have applied this cycle and have received 2 TMDSAS ii's and one AMCAS ii. I have not pre-matched and am on hold at the AMCAS school. I want to be prepared in case I have to reapply. I am planning on increasing my clinical volunteering, normal volunteering, and shadowing hours. I am currently a senior with a light final year, so I was planning on retaking in March/April and then applying next cycle.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: The first time I took the MCAT, i started studying in May and took it in January. I had not taken physics 2 at that time. My physics 1 knowledge also was not solid. I studied during the summer really well, but I didn't study as well during the school year because I was busy. I also took biochem during that semester. I was scoring 129/130 consistently on CP, 124-126 on cars, 128-130 on BB, and 129-130 on PS.
The biggest issue for me on C/P on the actual exam was the calculations. I could not do them fast enough. I also had a weak physics background, which hurt me on the exam as it hit my physics weaknesses. For Bio, I wish I had spent more time learning A&P. I also feel like I did not review my weaknesses enough. I also feel like I did not really focus on why I was missing questions. I don't know if that makes sense, but I could have reviewed my strategies more. I also did not do enough CARS practice, which is my weakest subject. I think it was a fluke that I got a 127 on the real thing.

AAMC test scores
FL1: 514
FL2: 509- lot of noises and distractions during the exam
FL3: 515
Sample: 513-514
  1. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes I do think I can do better. Right before the exam, I was getting the hang of CARS, but by then it was too late to try out my strategies. I also think with a stronger physics background, I can do much better on C/P. I also realized that I should have reviewed my UWORLD mistakes more as so many similar questions showed up on my exams.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513- 127/127/129/130
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cGPA: 3.96 sgpa: 3.92 (TMDSAS)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):TX
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Any texas md school
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 2 Summer research programs, lab at home institution for 5 semesters, couple abstracts and posters, thesis will be done by senior year. 200 hours clinical volunteering, 100 hours shadowing, 360 hours community service, 1 semester TA. I have applied this cycle and have received 2 TMDSAS ii's and one AMCAS ii. I have not pre-matched and am on hold at the AMCAS school. I want to be prepared in case I have to reapply. I am planning on increasing my clinical volunteering, normal volunteering, and shadowing hours. I am currently a senior with a light final year, so I was planning on retaking in March/April and then applying next cycle.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: The first time I took the MCAT, i started studying in May and took it in January. I had not taken physics 2 at that time. My physics 1 knowledge also was not solid. I studied during the summer really well, but I didn't study as well during the school year because I was busy. I also took biochem during that semester. I was scoring 129/130 consistently on CP, 124-126 on cars, 128-130 on BB, and 129-130 on PS.
The biggest issue for me on C/P on the actual exam was the calculations. I could not do them fast enough. I also had a weak physics background, which hurt me on the exam as it hit my physics weaknesses. For Bio, I wish I had spent more time learning A&P. I also feel like I did not review my weaknesses enough. I also feel like I did not really focus on why I was missing questions. I don't know if that makes sense, but I could have reviewed my strategies more. I also did not do enough CARS practice, which is my weakest subject. I think it was a fluke that I got a 127 on the real thing.

AAMC test scores
FL1: 514
FL2: 509- lot of noises and distractions during the exam
FL3: 515
Sample: 513-514
  1. Do you know/think you can do better? Yes I do think I can do better. Right before the exam, I was getting the hang of CARS, but by then it was too late to try out my strategies. I also think with a stronger physics background, I can do much better on C/P. I also realized that I should have reviewed my UWORLD mistakes more as so many similar questions showed up on my exams.

Your MCAT/GPA is not what’s holding you back from admission to any program in Texas other than maybe UTSW or Baylor and if they liked other aspects of your app and you interviewed well, you’d get in there too. Don’t retake.

Hi all, I've been trying to build a school list and I feel like my MCAT might be holding me back. Let me know if I'm crazy for thinking of retaking.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 513 (129/128/128/128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.67 (strong upward trend, 3.9+ both c and s for last 2 years of college)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Minnesota
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Main goal is to be a doc, but would ideally want to attend a research-focused school in a large city
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Attended T3 undergrad; Strongest ECs are research-related, but meet all requirements for service, shadowing, etc.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: This is why I'm thinking of retaking. I studied full-time for 3 weeks (probably ~100 hr) immediately following graduation (June 2018). I didn't feel totally prepared, but I was regularly scoring 3-5 points higher on practice tests.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I am fairly certain I can do better. I wouldn't retake unless I was scoring consistently much higher.
-

Last edited:
I have a 504 (127/123/127/127) and was accepted OOS MD. You do not need to retake a balanced 513. That's near 90 percentile! Guaranteed there is something other than that wrong with your application because of 513 and 3.7+ is not what is holding you back.
I haven’t applied yet lol

The reason that I’m thinking about this is that my ideal schools are a bit out of MCAT range. I am confident in my application otherwise.

I haven’t applied yet lol

The reason that I’m thinking about this is that my ideal schools are a bit out of MCAT range. I am confident in my application otherwise.
Nah you got this. Even if you retake and get a 518 persay that is like a 7% improvement in percentile.....that's not much at all. I believe you can get into the schools you want to.

• Love
  1. Previous MCAT was 512 (128/125/129/130)
  2. GPA: 3.93, sGPA: 3.93. I had a slight downward trend (just senior year was slightly lower than the other years)
  3. North Carolina
  4. ORM
  5. I would love to attend a top tier or high tier school.
  6. 600 hours of research, 600 hours of volunteering at the hospital, 150 hours at a rape crisis center
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I focused too much on small details the first time, I believe
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?: Not sure....
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I would not retake if I were you. I see that you want to attend a high tier school; however, you can still get into a dang good school. My friend got a 512 and received an interview from Mayo (ORM as well and same GPA as you). The goal should be a doctor, not only be a doctor if you can attend Harvard of something. I think you are very competitive as is. You got this!!!!!!!

Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I would not retake if I were you. I see that you want to attend a high tier school; however, you can still get into a dang good school. My friend got a 512 and received an interview from Mayo (ORM as well and same GPA as you). The goal should be a doctor, not only be a doctor if you can attend Harvard of something. I think you are very competitive as is. You got this!!!!!!!

Interviewing isn't the same as getting in, so I wouldn't use your friend's anecdote as an example. For example, I do have 2 friends with 512s who are ORM and they haven't had "very competitive" cycles. Getting in as an ORM is not easy, especially depending on the state. We don't know how much or little stats are considered in final admissions decisions and just because your friend got it, it doesn't mean this individual is the same person or is equally as likely to receive interviews for that reason.

You shouldn't judge people based on where they want to go/aim. If OP has a strong research/academic medicine interest, for example, there's nothing wrong with wanting to aim for a top school. The goal "should" be whatever it is that they want. This is an advice forum.

OP, 512 is barely above the matriculating average. If you want to do academics and/or truly are set on a top school (and that depends on the reasons why), retaking is a good idea. If they just want to get into a US MD school, a 512 is obviously more than good enough to be competitive.

Nah you got this. Even if you retake and get a 518 persay that is like a 7% improvement in percentile.....that's not much at all. I believe you can get into the schools you want to.

Now you're just spreading misinformation. A 518 makes a massive difference in school choice compared to a 513. It's about the MSAR, not percentiles. A 518 is the median at T20 schools, and makes you theoretically competitive for nearly any school in the country, whereas 513 isn't the 25th percentile for most top schools. There have been several instances of people who retook and scored in the 517-520 range and did very well, especially in terms of this other poster's criteria, "academic schools in big cities". It's very well documented and the MSAR reflects this. If you don't believe me, this came up at schools I interviewed at in talking with adcom members.

Just because you got into OOS MD with a 504, it doesn't mean you should be giving anecdotal advice based on this. Every individual is different and you can't generalize your circumstances to reflect the broader pool and success rates. I BELIEVE my friends are wonderful and all should get in wherever they want. It doesn't mean they'll be competitive for it, unless they have the stats in range to be looked at seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Retake or nah?

MCAT: 511: 128-124-132-127 (one attempt only)
GPA: 3.95 cGPA (sGPA 3.9+)

Heart is set on MD, don't really want to apply DO

Retake or nah?

MCAT: 511: 128-124-132-127 (one attempt only)
GPA: 3.95 cGPA (sGPA 3.9+)

Heart is set on MD, don't really want to apply DO
I would suggest no because if you don't improve that much then it will be more hurtful than helpful. However, if you are set on going to a top school then a retake might not be a bad idea, but make sure you improve your score a lot.

Hi all, I would really appreciate any advice/thoughts that you guys may have on my current dilemma. So, I recently took the MCAT and got a score of 509. I'm a bit worried that this score does not make me competitive enough for the schools in CA, but, I've been told by some of my peers and advisors that maybe my GPA can make up for it? I hope to be able to stay in California, but I'll be happy if I get into any school. As a result, I'm not sure if I should retake the MCAT again or just apply next cycle and see what happens?

Thanks so much! :)
  1. Previous MCAT: 509 (128/125/129/127)
  2. What is your GPA : cGPA = 3.98, sGPA: 4.00
  3. State/Country of residence: California
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Top to Mid Tier, would prefer to stay in California
    1. TA
    2. Lab Assistant at Cancer Bio lab (unpublished)
    3. Worked at pain management clinic 2 summers ago (~60 hrs)
    4. Volunteered at hospitals (+~200 hrs)
    5. part of my campus' CERT (Community Emergency Response Team)
    6. Shadowed ER Pediatric Physician (~50 hrs)
    7. Volunteered at local temple since middle school (in charge of the kids' classes)
    8. Tutored English to international students at my school
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I studied for about 3 months. I found the CARS practice that I did on AAMC to be quite straightforward, but my score says otherwise...
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I'm not sure

I wouldn't, but you have to be willing to leave California if you don't get into any UC schools

Hi all, I would really appreciate any advice/thoughts that you guys may have on my current dilemma. So, I recently took the MCAT and got a score of 509. I'm a bit worried that this score does not make me competitive enough for the schools in CA, but, I've been told by some of my peers and advisors that maybe my GPA can make up for it? I hope to be able to stay in California, but I'll be happy if I get into any school. As a result, I'm not sure if I should retake the MCAT again or just apply next cycle and see what happens?

Thanks so much! :)
  1. Previous MCAT: 509 (128/125/129/127)
  2. What is your GPA : cGPA = 3.98, sGPA: 4.00
  3. State/Country of residence: California
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Top to Mid Tier, would prefer to stay in California
    1. TA
    2. Lab Assistant at Cancer Bio lab (unpublished)
    3. Worked at pain management clinic 2 summers ago (~60 hrs)
    4. Volunteered at hospitals (+~200 hrs)
    5. part of my campus' CERT (Community Emergency Response Team)
    6. Shadowed ER Pediatric Physician (~50 hrs)
    7. Volunteered at local temple since middle school (in charge of the kids' classes)
    8. Tutored English to international students at my school
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I studied for about 3 months. I found the CARS practice that I did on AAMC to be quite straightforward, but my score says otherwise...
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I'm not sure

As an ORM, it’s not very competitive, especially for California schools. Be ready to leave the state or retake.

I'm on the fence. My MCAT isn't bad, but its not great. Its also a little uneven..
  1. MCAT: 508 125/125/128/130. I had been doing better in my chem in practice, but I think it being the first section psyched me out also never did that good on the psych in practice
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): 3.58, my sGPA is about the same. I have an upward trend with 4.0/3.8/4.0/4.0 my last 2 years. Major biomedical sciences. I am also in a master's right now for microbiology and have a 4.0 so far
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Colorado
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): half white half asian..
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): literally any MD, would be nice to state instate but university of colorado might be out of my league
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: a lot of research and a lot of shadowing, some clinical hours ~70 hours and planning on volunteering for the VA with patients soon
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I gave myself enough time but then I got Strep the week before the test so it took a week out of my study schedule..
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? If I study more, but I don't want to end up with the same score and I don't want it too look bad taking it twice..

Last edited:
I'm on the fence. My MCAT isn't bad, but its not great. Its also a little uneven..
  1. MCAT: 508 125/125/128/130. I had been doing better in my chem in practice, but I think it being the first section psyched me out also never did that good on the psych in practice
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): 3.58, my sGPA is about the same. I have an upward trend with 4.0/3.8/4.0/4.0 my last 2 years. Major biomedical sciences. I am also in a master's right now for microbiology and have a 4.0 so far
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Colorado
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): half white half asian..
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): literally any MD, would be nice to state instate but university of colorado might be out of my league
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: a lot of research and a lot of shadowing, some clinical hours ~70 hours and planning on volunteering for the VA with patients soon
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I gave myself enough time but then I got Strep the week before the test so it took a week out of my study schedule..
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? If I study more, but I don't want to end up with the same score and I don't want it too look bad taking it twice..
I pretty much had the same stats as you. U of Colorado gave me no love (I was sad even though I didn't think I had much of a chance). I then got 1 MD waitlist and several DO acceptances. If you want to retake I think you'd need to shoot for 514 +, I felt it wasn't worth the risk and things worked out well. Good luck!

Hey everyone! I'd love some more insight into this.
  1. MCAT: 506 123/125/128/130.
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): 3.68c/3.58s in a postbacc currently
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): PA
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Instate DO (PCOM/LECOM) or MD
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: lots of research and shadowing
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: So this was my retake - I took in 2017 and received a 514 and applied then, got waitlisted at two MD schools (didn't apply DO then). I studied the same way this time but majorly panicked during C/P, didn't finish the section.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I think so- my practice scores leading up to the test were 510s-514 range. but I know taking 3rd time doesn't look great especially as a reapplicant.
Hello! Sorry to hear that you had a little freak out during C/P it definitely happens to the best of us! If you are comfortable with DO schools, especially LECOM, we would suggest that you do not retake this exam. That being said, if you want to be a competitive applicant for MD schools, retaking is most likely going to be recommended. What is your GPA? If you provide that, we may be able to provide more insight!

Just wondering if I should entertain the thought more
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 511 (126/127/128/130) with C/P as 126 and B/B as 127
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) cGPA 3.67 sGPA 3.61 with strong upward trend, freshman year was 3.3 but each consecutive year 3.75+
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): URM female
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): I know the urm status will help me out but I also think I can reach some of the higher tiered schools. Goal: Mid/High Tier
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: relatively unique ECs e.g. worked as crisis counselor, have 300+ nonclinical and clinical hours; anthropology major, part of cultural groups on campus
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Spent last summer studying while doing some research so had roughly 3 months to study. First month, I wasted utilzing a study method that didnt work for me. So rest of time was just about catching up; I did do some uworld practice along the way. But I only got one weekish of solid just practice. I was able to do the AAMC CARS practice packs and 2 Full lengths: scores were 510 and 517
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? - Will be doing 2 gap years so I do have take to retake and I think I will have more time to allocate to studying this time or better plan how to study. For finances, I am banking on my tax return and school refunds to pay for the test and I still have my books. I think I can improve with the Bio aspect alot more as I have now took anatomy and received an A in the class (post MCAT). I think more time of the chem/physics section will also be possible. The plan would be to take MCAT jan or March so I am not in a rush as well as covid-19 is halting everything

Hey y'all, would love to hear your suggestions:

1) 510 (C/P 130, CARS 125, B/BCM 126, P/S 129)
2)Total GPA: 3.85, science GPA: 3.75....B.A. Art History, B.S. Chemistry
3) AZ resident
4) half-asian/half-white
5) would love to go to my undergrad institutions' medical school (Emory) and am looking at schools such as Georgetown, Brown, U Colorado, U of Arizona, Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai, Tufts...mostly southern and northeastern schools
6) 140+ hours of shadowing experiences, 2+ years of research, well rounded with volunteering and fundraising (fraternity philanthropy chair)
7) I was going through some personal stuff...classic story. Finished the test like an hour early...overall very well rounded.
8) I have been studying and definitely feel very prepared...retook a full-length AAMC test that I had taken 6 months prior and scored a 522...may have been a fluke because I took another one and scored a 513. I know that as long as I keep a good mental game, I would do better, however with the coronavirus and canceled tests, I am really unsure what to do. I don't want to put myself in a stressful situation just to go to a better medical school if I have a score that is competent. Thinking it may be better to just apply with my current score and focus on essays. It would be super cool going to a top 20 school but its not a live or die situation for me.

3) AZ resident
4) half-asian/half-white

Your GPA is great. Also, I think you're the only other dual art history/science premed I've heard of, so immediate awesome points from me haha.

5) would love to go to my undergrad institutions' medical school (Emory) and am looking at schools such as Georgetown, Brown, U Colorado, U of Arizona, Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai, Tufts...mostly southern and northeastern schools
6) 140+ hours of shadowing experiences, 2+ years of research, well rounded with volunteering and fundraising (fraternity philanthropy chair)

The latest version of the MSAR seems to indicate that for a lot of your OOS MD schools of interest, you lie either at ~25% or <25% MCAT (this goes for Georgetown, U Colorado, and Emory I think). Einstein and Brown look like reaches, and Sinai looks like a far reach. If you're dead set on those schools, you may need to seriously consider a retake, especially given that your EC's don't immediately stand out. As far as I know, the 125 CARS shouldn't get you immediately screened out of programs, but definitely reach out to schools to confirm/look at the MSAR MCAT breakdowns for each school.

Your chances look pretty good for your home MD institutions, especially the UofA in Tucson.

Have you also considered DO? As an ORM with a 510, I believe the consensus is that you should have a few DO's on your list for insurance. Your chances are great for those to my knowledge.

7) I was going through some personal stuff...classic story. Finished the test like an hour early...overall very well rounded.

How did these issues affect your studying? For how long, roughly? Also, how much time did you dedicate to studying in the first place?
I also finished super early on P/S on my first take. I think the combination of just wanting to be done/the P/S section not being as intensive (IMO) as the other sections makes it okay to finish early. Plus, you did just fine on P/S.

8) I have been studying and definitely feel very prepared...retook a full-length AAMC test that I had taken 6 months prior and scored a 522...may have been a fluke because I took another one and scored a 513. I know that as long as I keep a good mental game, I would do better, however with the coronavirus and canceled tests, I am really unsure what to do. I don't want to put myself in a stressful situation just to go to a better medical school if I have a score that is competent. Thinking it may be better to just apply with my current score and focus on essays. It would be super cool going to a top 20 school but its not a live or die situation for me.

I'd be very careful with the practices that you retake, even if there is some time (<1 year IMO) between them.

If you felt prepared the first time you took it, dread the thought of trying to prepare for this monster of a test again (especially given the stress from everything else going on), are okay with going DO, and feel like your app could benefit more from 4-6 months of volunteering/clinical employment than from 1 higher metric, I'd say don't retake. The chances of doing worse start to get very risky when you hit 510+. Also, you're right - the essays are important and bad ones won't be offset by good metrics.

Are you considering taking a gap year or are you planning on applying this cycle?

3) AZ resident
4) half-asian/half-white
Hey there!

The question you need to ask yourself is; "Can I do better on the MCAT?". The answer for most people on this question, even the high scorers, is "Ya, I could probably do better". However, you have a 510 with above a 125 on each section which is enough to get you into a low-mid level MD school at least.

Factor in the time, effort and sacrifice needed to retake as well as the crazy COVID-19 fiasco with the AAMC. If I were you, I would take my chances, apply early and call it a day.