Sean Studies

Sean Studies LLC
Vendor
Aug 18, 2018
I can see some schools cutting you some slack if English is your second language. Other than that, apply and don’t retake!
This is a great point!

Apr 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 497 (122/126/124/125) (score received yesterday)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) upward trend sGPA 3.2 cGPA 3.5 (end of junior year)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): IN
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Caucasian
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): any DO specifically, I know you should apply to both but MD would be ridiculous with my stats at the moment and I have loved every DO I have shadowed/talked to
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 100 hours shadowing (DO and MD), 300 hours clinical volunteer work, many undergrad EC's, research (no publications),
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I took the Kaplan course which makes it ever more disappointing that I did so poorly. Clearly chem/phys wrecked me and although it's my weakest area I was consistently scoring 124/125 on the aamc FL prior to test. My best practice was 499 and I was hopeful that if I did my best (based on all scored sections) a 503/504 would have been possible. Not shocked but aamc FL's were 498/499/499.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? I would have been "fine" with my score if chem/phys wasn't so bad, however I know I messed up the timing on that section pretty badly so while yes it was my weakest content, I also know it was nerves from it being the 1st section of the test. Thanks in advance I am so appreciative of any advice. Regarding re-take, my question isn't necessarily "IF" but when? Is it worth it to study this summer and re-take in august for this cycle or do I need to just bank on taking gap year and applying next cycle?

Sean Studies

Sean Studies LLC
Vendor
Aug 18, 2018
Regarding re-take, my question isn't necessarily "IF" but when? Is it worth it to study this summer and re-take in august for this cycle or do I need to just bank on taking gap year and applying next cycle?
It seems as if you're very confident that you need to retake the MCAT. I would suggest you do more research until you jump to that conclusion! Consider posting in the what are my chances thread.

If you do decide to retake, I would not recommend taking it in August and expecting it to make a large impact this cycle. If you think you will be ready in August, you should take it then but do not rush to take it in August to have a score for this cycle. You want to take your time preparing for this exam and make sure that you are ready to see a significant improvement when you sit down on test day. Do not rush your prep just to have a score by this cycle!

Good luck :)

Reactions: danpat13
Apr 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It seems as if you're very confident that you need to retake the MCAT. I would suggest you do more research until you jump to that conclusion! Consider posting in the what are my chances thread.

If you do decide to retake, I would not recommend taking it in August and expecting it to make a large impact this cycle. If you think you will be ready in August, you should take it then but do not rush to take it in August to have a score for this cycle. You want to take your time preparing for this exam and make sure that you are ready to see a significant improvement when you sit down on test day. Do not rush your prep just to have a score by this cycle!

Good luck :)
Thanks! With avg DO matriculant score being ~504 how would I not need to retake this? I'm just curious. Really appreciate what
you are doing!

Reactions: Sean Studies

Sean Studies

Sean Studies LLC
Vendor
Aug 18, 2018
Thanks! With avg DO matriculant score being ~504 how would I not need to retake this? I'm just curious. Really appreciate what
you are doing!
Thanks - great question! It seems like you a referring to the national average. If you look here you will see that there are some DO schools that accept an average of 500. For example, this week we did an instagram live with a student that attends VCOM. According to the source linked above, the average MCAT score at VCOM Carolinas is 500. With a 497, you are in the range of a 500 MCAT average.

Many schools with average MCAT scores this low might have a significant preferences towards in-state students or look for other criteria that you do not meet. Retaking the MCAT is enormously challenging and a big commitment so I tend to advise students to do research on schools before they make the decision! While doing research ask yourself...

1) What medical schools am I competitive at?
2) Would I like to attend any of those schools?
3) Am I comfortable being below the average MCAT score of most of the schools I apply to?

If your answer to question 2 or 3 is no, you probably want to consider retaking!

Does this help?!

Apr 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks - great question! It seems like you a referring to the national average. If you look here you will see that there are some DO schools that accept an average of 500. For example, this week we did an instagram live with a student that attends VCOM. According to the source linked above, the average MCAT score at VCOM Carolinas is 500. With a 497, you are in the range of a 500 MCAT average.

Many schools with average MCAT scores this low might have a significant preferences towards in-state students or look for other criteria that you do not meet. Retaking the MCAT is enormously challenging and a big commitment so I tend to advise students to do research on schools before they make the decision! While doing research ask yourself...

1) What medical schools am I competitive at?
2) Would I like to attend any of those schools?
3) Am I comfortable being below the average MCAT score of most of the schools I apply to?

If your answer to question 2 or 3 is no, you probably want to consider retaking!

Does this help?!
Yes definitely, it's a lot to consider. Thanks so much for your input!

Sean Studies

Sean Studies LLC
Vendor
Aug 18, 2018
Yes definitely, it's a lot to consider. Thanks so much for your input!
Yes! and I see that you posted in a what are my chances thread - looks like you had some great feedback there! Best of luck

Reactions: danpat13

BMH

May 29, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If you want to go to the schools you mentioned and can do much better - then certainly retake! It won’t look bad to appplixations I’d you can improve +5 points on a retake and you are confident is yourself. If you gave your mcat your all the second Time and don’t want to retake - apply broadly and you should have a shot! Are you applying to do schools, md schools or both??
Thank you for the advice. I decided to push back my application one more cycle since this past year was a little tough on me. But I am mainly considering MD schools right now. I may consider DO schools as the next cycle approaches.