Should I take a PASS in a non pre-req class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samnoladental

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for this upcoming cycle. I received a C+ this semester in Neurobiology (probably would have done better). Should I take a PASS for this course as it is a non pre-requisite class?

Members don't see this ad.

check the ADEA website some schools updated their response to P/NC classes. Dental schools are going to assume that any P is a C so a C+ inst too bad. And some schools specifically say that if you have the option to get letter grades then they prefer that, especially with sciences. It will look fishy if you have one P and the rest letter grades, and schools would definitely ask about it in interviews. So either way they will know that what you got was a C+.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My science GPA drops from a 3.66 to a 3.59 taking the C+ instead of the Pass. If schools don't hold it against you, what's the reason for taking a letter grade? I don't know what to do anymore. Its a science class but also a neurobiology class. I would figure schools look at GPA over individual letter grades but they also might want to see the performance of work from Spring 2020. My other grades this semester were all As and one B+.

Right? Unless schools compare your previous GPA (before COVID) with your Spring 2020 coursework, I would take the P too. It's a very tough situation. I would've done better for sure.

My science GPA drops from a 3.66 to a 3.59 taking the C+ instead of the Pass. If schools don't hold it against you, what's the reason for taking a letter grade? I don't know what to do anymore. Its a science class but also a neurobiology class. I would figure schools look at GPA over individual letter grades but they also might want to see the performance of work from Spring 2020. My other grades this semester were all As and one B+.

Everyone is in a similar position as you. Even me! I'm applying this cycle. Its very hard to know what is what but schools will know that the spring 2020 courses will be affected for all applicants and will judge accordingly. Check out the ADEA GoDental that took place yesterday. There are some great answers about taking P/NP or letter grades. What I heard from my own pre-health advisor and dental schools is that they specially do not want someone to take one or two P/NP grade and the rest all letters with A's/B's, especially in a science course which can be seen as trying to inflate your GPA(even though you were truly negatively affected by COVID). I personally would talk about your struggles in the new COVID section of the AADSAS application and take the letter grade. Or take all P/NP for the semester if your school gives you the options. They wont hold it against you for taking P/NP grades but they will definitely ask about it in an interview and if your response for having one P grade and the rest A's is because you didn't want my sGPA to be affected, that will surely be held against you. also maybe reach out to schools you plan on applying to and ask for guidance. just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree to an extent with NJ_Doc. I'm pretty paranoid that admissions will just assume that you've earned a C when they see a P on your transcript. However, I don't think the distinction between an "assumed" C and a confirmed C+ is beneficial enough that you should take such a hit to your GPA. Not to mention, there's no proof that admissions will assume the worst, and I'll imagine there is a lot of understanding for this semester anyways. Would it look a bit sus? Maybe... But you can always explain away in an interview. The key is to get an interview in the first place though, and you'll need a good GPA for that. My advice is to take the pass.

Reactions: 2 users