Should I travel outside the country while I am applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockMcat520

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need SDN's advice here since most people know the process very well.
I am planning on traveling outside the country by 07/14 OR beginning of August for personal matter until lets say 08/20. I will be applying this cycle (submit by June 10). I was wondering if it is a good idea since I will be receiving secondaries by then. I know the process is very overwhelming and all. I am not sure about the exact timeline of the whole process.

Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

8/20 isn't really that late. But submitting earlier can be the difference between getting in or not, since many schools have rolling application cycles. I don't know how important this trip is to you, but secondary apps don't write themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't imagine it being a problem, as long as you have reliable internet access and as much free time as you would have had at home.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you write your secondary essays ahead of time and will have reliable internet access wherever you are, you can submit them while out of the country. If not, just send them in as fast as you can when you get back.

Is 8/20 a hard return date? The way you wrote it makes it sound like it's uncertain.

If you write your secondary essays ahead of time and will have reliable internet access wherever you are, you can submit them while out of the country. If not, just send them in as fast as you can when you get back.

Is 8/20 a hard return date? The way you wrote it makes it sound like it's uncertain.
07/18-08/20! I will have a reliable internet access but would be really busy. I dont think I have enough time to write them a head of time since I will be taking MCAT on May 6th.

IMHO I would try to start working on your primary application the earliest possible. That way you can get the earliest possible start send in your secondaries before you leave the country. Med schools sometimes consider how long it has taken you to write their secondary application and some might frown upon you sending in your secondaries over a month after you've been offered to apply.