sick leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teachtopharm?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm home sick from work today, and got to thinking... how hard is it when pharmacists get sick or kids get sick if you need to miss work? I am a teacher and everyone at school gets a lot of viruses, and it is a BIG hassle if I have to miss work. Do pharmacists get sick often because of being in contact with so many sick people? If so, is it a hassle if you have to take a sick day? I would think they would want you to stay home so you don't spread infection if it is contagious, but I thought that about teaching too. So what do they do when a pharmacist is sick? (thinking of retail)

Members don't see this ad.

my mother is the sole pharmacist in a hospital (60 beds) and in the area she is in there are very very very few rphs to fill in

when she gets sick she puts a sleeping bag on the floor either in her office or in the bathroom (in the pharmacy)

she currently has a nerve problem that hinders her mobility. and initially she was virtually immobile (nerve is in the leg)

she took off 3 days and then had to bring a foam pad to lay in the office while techs brought her things to check

she works for a system so in theory someone else should have come over for relief
but no

major chains i'm sure have people who can work for you as do larger hospitals

just don't live anywhere rural

I would imagine it's fairly difficult to get unscheduled time off! However, I know some retail chains have people that work for them on an as-needed basis. Kroger calls them "floaters"; I don't know if it's the same term everywhere, but you get the idea. They go around to different area pharmacies, covering holes in the schedule. I actually think it's a fairly attractive option for mothers who want to be largely stay-at-home, depending on how many stores would need to be covered and if there are babysitting grandparents nearby if the kids aren't in school yet ;) Depending on where you might work, there are probably people that are on-call for emergency situations. No retail pharmacy is going to want to close for the day because the other pharmacists won't pick up their phone and whomever was on the schedule fell ill!

As far as getting ill is concerned, once again, it depends where you work. I don't know about retail yet, but my boyfriend (WVUPharm2007) worked in a hospital as a tech for about 2 years and ever since, he hasn't gotten majorly ill once, even though I get sick quite often and by all means should be infecting him! He thinks that working in a hospital and being exposed to little bits of illnesses all the time has actually greatly boosted his immunity to tons of diseases. He's been working at a retail pharmacy since August, and he doesn't seem to get more colds or anything like that... though the previous hospital experience could be the reason, I can't really say.

Feel better soon! :D