This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMVoyager

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey future MEDPREP class of 2021. Rising SIU SOM MS2 here that just finished up in Carbondale and currently struggling to pack for Springfield, IL. If it was not for this program I would not be 1) in medical school or 2) successful in medical school. This program is absolutely amazing and I am going to try my best at answering questions about the application process to MEDPREP and/or about the program as a whole. I will also try to recruit current MEDPREPers on this forum who will have more current updates since I will be separated from the Carbondale campus next year and will have my main focus on Step 1. But I will attach a link to the application page below. Historically the application does not open until July but you can explore the page and see what materials they might want before opening the application. Good Luck!

Apply to MEDPREP | SIU School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Second year MEDPREP student here to help answer questions!

Reactions: 1 users
So the coursework we take apart of MEDPREP, is it graduate or undergraduate? I recently spoke with Indiana after not being accepted what I needed to do to get into their school and they suggested doing a program like this. However if I do something similar to this, they said they would like to see courses that were taken at the graduate level for an increase in science GPA (mine was a 3.0) and an increase in MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So the coursework we take apart of MEDPREP, is it graduate or undergraduate? I recently spoke with Indiana after not being accepted what I needed to do to get into their school and they suggested doing a program like this. However if I do something similar to this, they said they would like to see courses that were taken at the graduate level for an increase in science GPA (mine was a 3.0) and an increase in MCAT score.

There are 2 different tracks you can take at MEDPREP: The Traditional track means you will be considered an undergraduate still and all classes taken will go towards your undergraduate GPA; The Masters track gives two options to obtain a graduate degree in either Biological Sciences (MBS) or Public Health (MPH) in which you would be taking both undergraduate and graduate classes and thus will have 2 different GPAs now. However you will need prior approval to do either of the graduate tracks: you have to indicate your interest and be approved first. The whole first year of MEDPREP is structured to help you improve your MCAT score so you will definitely get that out of the program if you apply yourself!

How often do people leave the program after the first year because they’ve been accepted somewhere? Or how does that process all work

How often do people leave the program after the first year because they’ve been accepted somewhere? Or how does that process all work
The first year of MEDPREP is all about MCAT prep so technically no one will even be taking the MCAT and submitting AMCAS until the school year is over. However, in the past there was more of an option to do the first year only but I think doing the full two years is required now (im not %100 sure on that). More importantly in order to receive the automatic acceptance from SIU SOM then you have to attend MEDPREP for the full 2 years. I also want to add that the second year is very beneficial for the first year of medical school in terms of curriculum since the class will be taking upper level science courses that are relevant for M1 year.

Reactions: 2 users
The first year of MEDPREP is all about MCAT prep so technically no one will even be taking the MCAT and submitting AMCAS until the school year is over. However, in the past there was more of an option to do the first year only but I think doing the full two years is required now (im not %100 sure on that). More importantly in order to receive the automatic acceptance from SIU SOM then you have to attend MEDPREP for the full 2 years. I also want to add that the second year is very beneficial for the first year of medical school in terms of curriculum since the class will be taking upper level science courses that are relevant for M1 year.
So technically after the first year we take the MCAT and are expected to apply to medical schools?

So technically after the first year we take the MCAT and are expected to apply to medical schools?

Yes that is the expectation! Students usually take the MCAT anywhere from late April to June with some variation. I believe returning is optional because technically no one can force you to go to school you know? However as mentioned above, you must attend both years to meet The requirements for Alliance which guarantees admittance to SIU.

I have a question about the application process for MEDPREP. If someone could direct me to the correct thread that would be great. I would like recommendations on how to stand out as a candidate.You can either send me a private message or post to the forum. That would greatly be appreciated.

I have a question about the application process for MEDPREP. If someone could direct me to the correct thread that would be great. I would like recommendations on how to stand out as a candidate.You can either send me a private message or post to the forum. That would greatly be appreciated.

This is the thread for the upcoming application cycle so if you have questions, ask away!

Heres a link to last years thread:
SIU MEDPREP 2018

Here's a link to the MEDPREP application page:
About MEDPREP | SIU School of Medicine

Hello I sent a private message because I am interested in applying to MEDPREP but I wanted to know how I can make myself a good candidate?

Will be applying early cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk why, but I am overwhelmed by these biographical questions. I just can't bring myself to do them even though they are not hard at all.

Idk why, but I am overwhelmed by these biographical questions. I just can't bring myself to do them even though they are not hard at all.

You have time! Do a little each day!

Look like such a promising program but too bad it's only for Central and Southern Illinois residents.

Look like such a promising program but too bad it's only for Central and Southern Illinois residents.
This program is open to people from all over the country. The mission statement states that central and southern Illinois residents are preferred but anyone can apply to MEDPREP. However, the M.D. program at SIU SOM is only Illinois residents

So this program doesn't guaranteed an interview or entrance to their medical school?

So this program doesn't guaranteed an interview or entrance to their medical school?
It is not guaranteed that you will be accepted to SIU SOM. However, if you reach all of their minimum requirements then you will receive an automatic acceptance to the M.D. program without having to interview. The minimum requirements are a 2.8 overall GPA, 2.8 science GPA, a good recommendation from the student progress committee, and a 498 MCAT score.

It is not guaranteed that you will be accepted to SIU SOM. However, if you reach all of their minimum requirements then you will receive an automatic acceptance to the M.D. program without having to interview. The minimum requirements are a 2.8 overall GPA, 2.8 science GPA, a good recommendation from the student progress committee, and a 498 MCAT score.

Would you recommend applying to the program with intention of getting into medical school with 2.7 gpa and OOS?

Would you recommend applying to the program with intention of getting into medical school with 2.7 gpa and OOS?
Good question! I do recommend still applying to the program. The admissions committee definitely looks beyond your current credentials when applying to the program. Also the program gives you a decent boost in your GPA as you go through it. You are not forced to apply to medical school after the first year of MEDPREP even though that is how the program is set up. You will be able to talk to advisers about your plan on how to approach the program. They still support those who want to wait after the full two years of MEDPREP so the second year can go on your transcript. However, to be completely transparent my science gpa was below a 2.5 GPA and my overall was around a 2.8 GPA when I applied to MEDPREP. However, I definitely did not play any games in MEDPREP though and changed/got rid of a lot of bad habits to get to where I am today. In addition, there are cases where people did not meet the requirements for the automatic acceptance to SIU SOM yet still got into different medical schools. Overall you have nothing to loose applying to this program. Just make sure to express in your application that you are dedicated to change and work very hard!

In terms of being out-of-state, you can change your residency once you get to Carbondale and have an address there. They will direct those who want to do it to the secretary of state in the summer. You will be able to receive in-state tuition starting spring semester of the first year if I remember correctly.

Also anyone feel free to direct message me or @melaninnMD

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response! I'll start filling out the application now!

Also, I noticed on the picture of the site it is all African American candidates which bring me to think this is a program for URM only? If I were to be Asian with extreme disadvantage circumstances would that fit their mission?

Is something going on with the servers? Can no longer access the online portal portion

Hi all,

The MEDPREP application portal seems to be down, can anyone provide me with the short answer questions ? I emailed Mr. Stevens, but he is on vacation until august 20th! :nailbiting:

Thank you in advance!! :)

Just wondering what we should do if we haven't completed our apps yet and the server is down....

I will contact Mr. Stephens tomorrow to see if you can help with the website.

Also, I noticed on the picture of the site it is all African American candidates which bring me to think this is a program for URM only? If I were to be Asian with extreme disadvantage circumstances would that fit their mission?

This program aims to recruit those who are under-represented, economically disadvantaged, and educationally disadvantaged. Even though the main driver of the program is to transition URMs into healthcare professional schools, those who do not identify as a URM have and currently are a part of the program! If you feel like you are disadvantaged economically or educationally then I would definitely send an application.

Last edited:
For people who have applied, do we have a better shot with matriculation in the early cycle vs main cycle.

I asked this professor of mine to write me a letter. It’s been over a damn month and I still don’t have it. I’m beyond livid.

Has anyone received an interview day invite?

Any suggestions on how to prepare for the interviews? The essay/exams that will be given to us ?

Any advice will be useful! Thank you!

Any suggestions on how to prepare for the interviews? The essay/exams that will be given to us ?

Any advice will be useful! Thank you!

I am a little bit removed from MEDPREP (Applied in 2014) but I can tell you what I remember from the process. In terms of the exams they are standardized tests. They are not MCAT passage-based and are mostly short answer. Overall, there is no way to really prepare for them. They want to use these scores to see what basic knowledge you have and pinpoint areas that might need some brushing-up once you enter the program. I know of some cases where people did low in multiple areas of these exams but still got accepted into the program.

I would say that interviews are just as or even more important than the exams. You will have interviews with two faculty/staff. They are really laid back/more conversational and just be prepared to put a face/personality to your written application. I would review the MEDPREP mission statement the night before and make sure to emphasize your dedication to this two year post-bacc program. Also know why it is important to represent those who are disadvantaged in healthcare. Do not be afraid to own up to your flaws or fallbacks in undergrad and say how you are more than willing to change habits and do better as a student.

Hello my fellow MEDPREP candidates and graduates. Do any of you know exactly what is tested on the Admissions day exam? I know there will be a reading test, an essay( Not sure if it is timed), a cognitive abilities test, a biochemistry test and general chemistry test. Has anyone gone through this exam process? Is the cognitive test also a physics test?

Any information would be very helpful and thank you in advance for your responses

I am a little bit removed from MEDPREP (Applied in 2014) but I can tell you what I remember from the process. In terms of the exams they are standardized tests. They are not MCAT passage-based and are mostly short answer. Overall, there is no way to really prepare for them. They want to use these scores to see what basic knowledge you have and pinpoint areas that might need some brushing-up once you enter the program. I know of some cases where people did low in multiple areas of these exams but still got accepted into the program.

I would say that interviews are just as or even more important than the exams. You will have interviews with two faculty/staff. They are really laid back/more conversational and just be prepared to put a face/personality to your written application. I would review the MEDPREP mission statement the night before and make sure to emphasize your dedication to this two year post-bacc program. Also know why it is important to represent those who are disadvantaged in healthcare. Do not be afraid to own up to your flaws or fallbacks in undergrad and say how you are more than willing to change habits and do better as a student.

Thank you for your response! Do you feel that the program made you a much more desirable applicant for medical school?

The closest main/international airport is St. Louis, right? I'm so anxious to see what is in store for me at Admissions day! lol

Hello my fellow MEDPREP candidates and graduates. Do any of you know exactly what is tested on the Admissions day exam? I know there will be a reading test, an essay( Not sure if it is timed), a cognitive abilities test, a biochemistry test and general chemistry test. Has anyone gone through this exam process? Is the cognitive test also a physics test?

Any information would be very helpful and thank you in advance for your responses

Hi MEDPREP re-applicant here, the cognitive test is not a physics test (I do not remember any physics related exams or questions for that matter... it's more of a general math skills test). I would not stress about the exams as they are just to test your knowledge! Like @UMVoyager mentioned they are important, but the interviews are just as important! Also, the essay is not timed... it is something we were able to do at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! Do you feel that the program made you a much more desirable applicant for medical school?

The closest main/international airport is St. Louis, right? I'm so anxious to see what is in store for me at Admissions day! lol

I will address your second question first. Yes, the STL airport is the closest. I think there might be a shuttle service called "The Bart" I travels between Saint Louis and Southern Illinois. I would check it out just in case. Otherwise renting a car might be a good idea as well.

To answer you first question, I feel like this program was pretty life changing (one of the best decisions of my life) and it did help sculpt my application to where it needed to be. I was able to improve my study skills, gain new study strategies that I still currently use in medical school, gain time management strategies that I still use in medical school, learn how to approach the application process that includes writing all of these essays that come with it, and overall get rid of bad habits that I had during undergrad. If it wasn't for MEDPREP I would not be in medical school at the moment or be successful in medical school.

Also if it wasn't for MEDPREP I would not have received the chance to be connected to the actual SIU School of Medicine. I am thankful that I chose SIU as my medical school because the community/network is phenomenal and the MEDPREP community still thrives (especially in the SNMA chapter). The alliance MEDPREP has with SIU SOM or the "automatic seat" in the class is definitely the best perk of this program if you reach SIU SOM's minimum requirements (MCAT - 498, overall GPA (last 60 credits if need be) - 2.8, and BCPM (last 60 if need be) - 2.8) by the end of the MEDPREP program. Overall, you will not be dissatisfied with this program as long as you come to MEDPREP with an open mind, open to change, and determined to put in A LOT of work for both academics and the professional school application.

Last edited:
Hi MEDPREP re-applicant here, the cognitive test is not a physics test (I do not remember any physics related exams or questions for that matter... it's more of a general math skills test). I would not stress about the exams as they are just to test your knowledge! Like @UMVoyager mentioned they are important, but the interviews are just as important! Also, the essay is not timed... it is something we were able to do at the end of the day.
SandroLMD
NewThank you for your response ANTIdoc. I will keep that in mind and will not study the physics part. With regard to the reading, Chemistry and Biochemistry sections, are those timed? How many questions from what you may remember are in each section. You mentioned that the cognitive section is primarily a math test. Are calculatora allowed? I was planning on studying from an old Math SAT book. Would that be a good idea?
Currently, I am studying from my MCAT books for the biochem and chem sections of this MEDPREP entrance exam

Last edited:
Is anyone having problem turning in their application. My "personal Information" session is saying incomplete but all my boxes are filled out. Am I missing something and unaware. I emailed tech support a few time but no one is responding to me and it's being 2 weeks. Can anyone help please?

Is anyone having problem turning in their application. My "personal Information" session is saying incomplete but all my boxes are filled out. Am I missing something and unaware. I emailed tech support a few time but no one is responding to me and it's being 2 weeks. Can anyone help please?
Have you tried making sure all the little bubble options are selected? I had a similar issue with the application and just went through every single part of the section to make sure either a bubble was selected or text was entered!

I wish this thread were a lot more active

Okay I am HIGHLY stressed!!! I am waiting for my teachers to finish up writing my letters of recommendation so I can mail the packet in! Does me applying this late decrease my chances of being accepted? What is the acceptance rate??? I KEEP HAVING NIGHTMARES OF THIS.

Hi I am thoroughly interested in this great program. Can anyone tell me how the program goes about judging candidates merits for entrance into the program? Also how successful are MEDPREP students in terms of getting into medical schools? Also what schools do students typically get into?

Okay I am HIGHLY stressed!!! I am waiting for my teachers to finish up writing my letters of recommendation so I can mail the packet in! Does me applying this late decrease my chances of being accepted? What is the acceptance rate??? I KEEP HAVING NIGHTMARES OF THIS.

Take some deep breaths! If you are worried your professors are taking too long to write your rec letters, I would contact them right away and let them know of the application deadline (let them know that everything else is completed). If that does not work, I would start contacting other professors that could possibly have their letter completed in time. I do not think any application extensions are awarded so I would try my best to have your consolidated packet sent before the deadline. If you apply late, it is my understanding that your packet or your application would not be considered.

Is anyone having troubles with their consolidated letter packet being received?

I will be sending my consolidated packet tomorrow. Good luck, everyone!

I believe the application deadline is January 22nd. I agree with ANTIdoc's post.

Is there any way to make your application stick out? also, It says to send in 2 letters of recommendation. Is it frowned upon to send 3? (As you can tell, still stressed. Genuinely have never wanted anything more in my entire LIFE.)

I'm not sure I can provide much advice as I'm also an applicant myself and have that same question.

According to the application, "a miniumum of two recommendations are required. You are also advised to request a third recommendation, in case any problems occur with the first two."

This would be an opportunity of a life time for many of us. Good luck to you, my friend.