sizes for white coats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm supposed to preorder a white coat for vanderbilt. however, i'm not sure of the size, if i wear a 42-44 large t-shirt, what should i get for white coat...same size of one size up?

30-32
34-36
38-40
42-44
46-48
50-52

Members don't see this ad.

...this may not be of any help, however.......I, as a 6 ' slender female , ordered a coat size 38 Long: Perhaps you can tweak your own size using mine as a reference point.

I am a size 0-2 and I find that a size 28-30 lab a coat is a good fit, maybe a little big. I would say the average female might wear a size 32-24. (I'm assuming these things come in some sort of standard sizing)

hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh? I thought they only came in like small, medium, large, extra-large. I always get a size slightly bigger cuz I figured if I wore a sweater, then I wouldn't fit the coat.

Go by your suit/sport jacket size. You must have one from your interviews. If for some reason you don't, go into any men's store or dept. and have them measure you -- it's free at most places.

Originally posted by Iron Horse
Go by your suit/sport jacket size. You must have one from your interviews. If for some reason you don't, go into any men's store or dept. and have them measure you -- it's free at most places.

White coat sizes aren't the same as suit jacket sizes. I wear a 40-regular suit jacket but a 46 white coat. When I tried on a 40 white coat, I couldn't even raise my arms above my head.

Best bet is to go to a medical supply store or medical school bookstore and actually try on the coats.

white coats never seem to fit quite right anyway :)

Originally posted by Jaded Soul
White coat sizes aren't the same as suit jacket sizes. I wear a 40-regular suit jacket but a 46 white coat. When I tried on a 40 white coat, I couldn't even raise my arms above my head.

Best bet is to go to a medical supply store or medical school bookstore and actually try on the coats.

Perhaps sizes differ per brand. I was told to use my jacket size and my coat fits perfectly. Ask your school.

it depends on the brand. i don't think the manufactors are out to make the most fashionably fitting coats. either the arms are too long, too wide, or the shoulders too small.:p

I usually wear a 43 or 44 jacket, but my white coat was fitted as a 48, and I look like the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man when I wear it. It sucks. But I think you have to go up a few sizes to get it to fit.