SMDEP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Denied from all three :(
University of Washington-seattle, UCLA, and Yale.
3.75 GPA
URM (half black-half white)
EC's: volunteering at hospital, GlobeMed at school, Ambassador for Medical explorers club, current jobs as a tutor at my old high school, CNA (certified Nurse Assistant) for a homecare company.
Personal statement was pretty good but not perfect,
diversity essay: talked about my learning experiences in medical ethics class, and how i am going to Africa for three weeks this summer to volunteer at a rural health clinic in Uganda.
one letter of rec very generic, the other very good.

not sure why i was denied but i guess everything happens for a reason! now at least i can work at a hospital this summer and spend more time with family and friends. HAVE FUN THIS SUMMER GUYS!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My stats were very similar to those that were accepted except that I'm Asian so I guess that could be a reason but should I still call do you think it will help ?
I don't think that it would be a bad thing. Anything could happen.

i have been following this thread for months and just now decided to make an account ! I am confirmed at Columbia ! Has anyone received an email from SMDEP yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten into Washington? Seems like the most competitive one so far?! I haven't seen any acceptances.

I confirmed at Case for dentistry today!

Anyone want to make a Duke Facebook group?

Accepted: UVA, Texas, & Duke.
Stats:
Freshman in Community College
3.76 GPA
African-American and Spanish
Strong essays
Strong letters of recommendation (One from my adviser who attended SMDEP when it was still called MMEP, One from my math professor)
Not too many EC's
Volunteer and Work in the medical field
Completed application Jan. 14
Whole application w/ transcripts etc. Completed January 29th.
Let's make a group!

Denied from all sites: UCLA, UT Houston, Columbia
Stats:
- Junior (even though this is my second year at my university)
-86 credit hours THIS is the reason why I got denied ?
-GPA 3.88 Science 3.6
-URM living in an underrepresented community in South Texas
-Strong essays; pretty personal about my ambitions
-Mexican native
It was a total bummer but I am studying abroad this summer :)
so I'm pretty EXCITED about that since It is also a resume changer to study abroad ! Best of luck to all accepted students & future SMDEP applicants.
Do not be discouraged
P.S. DO NOT APPLY IF YOU HAVE >60 hours like I did...rejection hurts a lil

Stats:
-GPA 3.88 Science 3.6
-Mexican native
so I'm pretty EXCITED about that since It is also a resume changer to study abroad ! Best of luck to all accepted students & future SMDEP applicants.
Do not be discouraged

Your stats are great. How did you not get in???!

Stats:
-GPA 3.88 Science 3.6
-Mexican native
Do not be discouraged
I'm really sorry you didn't get in. I also applied and am waiting for a response, but I have 75 GPA hours so I guess I should just stop thinking about it. I'm really bummed out. I wish they would have specified the hour limit before we worked so hard to build an application. :'(

Stats:
-GPA 3.88 Science 3.6
-Mexican native
Do not be discouraged
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about that! But I don't think that others should give up just because of the credits thing.
I was a bit discouraged at first too since I was applying with 83 credits completed (even though I'm a sophomore), but I still managed to get into Case Western.
So in the end, it doesn't really hurt to keep on trying and being persistent!

Reactions: 1 users
Stats:
-GPA 3.88 Science 3.6
-Mexican native
Do not be discouraged

Just a note for future applicants: I emailed UCLA concerning about having too many credits as I cashed in a lot of AP credits, and they only consider credits taken at the university for freshmen/sophomore status.

Has anyone who confirmed at UT received an email from UT?

Please help! I have not submitted my application yet, I want to write the essay but I do not know what the prompt is and the world limit because my account is currently locked. Can someone please let me know? Highly appreciated

Please help! I have not submitted my application yet, I want to write the essay but I do not know what the prompt is and the world limit because my account is currently locked. Can someone please let me know? Highly appreciated

I think its too late to apply. They need 10 days to work on your transcript. So if they dont have it by now, I dont think you can apply

1.) Personal Statement
2.) Diversity Essay- SMDEP seeks individuals who will advance the goals of diversity in the medical and dental profession, reduce health-care disparities, and/or improve health care to underserved populations. Please share your experiences in one or all of these areas.

I think its too late to apply. They need 10 days to work on your transcript. So if they dont have it by now, I dont think you can apply

I mean the deadline to apply is March 1st. That's the deadline to submit and not to have the application completed. At least that's what I think ..

1.) Personal Statement
2.) Diversity Essay- SMDEP seeks individuals who will advance the goals of diversity in the medical and dental profession, reduce health-care disparities, and/or improve health care to underserved populations. Please share your experiences in one or all of these areas.

Thank you!! Do you know what the word limit is for each prompt?

I mean the deadline to apply is March 1st. That's the deadline to submit and not to have the application completed. At least that's what I think ..

Thank you!! Do you know what the word limit is for each prompt?
I think it is 5,000-5,300 characters. You still have time to apply. The supplemental materials (recommendations, transcripts, etc) have to be postmarked by March 1st not processed. The actual application has to be submitted March 1st. Does this make sense?

I think it is 5,000-5,300 characters. You still have time to apply. The supplemental materials (recommendations, transcripts, etc) have to be postmarked by March 1st not processed. The actual application has to be submitted March 1st. Does this make sense?

Thank you!

has anyone who confirmed to the Columbia site received an email yet ??

Somehow my conformation email got thrown into the junk mail. Like helllooooo, Outlook! That was kind of important! Thank God I happen to come across it yesterday night because the deadline to register is tonight! Whew!

Reactions: 1 users
One more month

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Rejected - UWash, Columbia, UCLA
Economically disadvantaged
Asian (so not URM...?)
Freshman at a 4 year public uni with a lot of credits, so this will be my only and last year applying.
LOR from science/prehealth advisor (generic) and professor (great)
GPA when applied in Dec 3.53/4.00 from midterm grades
GPA on transcript 3.73/4.00 (first semester grades)
Great essays
Extracurricular's - Multiple health/speech & debate/dental related (shadowing, etc)/science related, including research and a summer job
Application submitted in mid December, and fully completed on Jan 22, 2016.

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance! :)

I was rejected from UCLA too and I am a community college student. I had my application completed by mid November and great stats too. But I am Indian/Pakistani (not URM) so I am sure that is a big reason I didn't get in. However, I am extremely blessed that UVA accepted me. I am sorry you didn't get in :( I'm sure that something amazing will occur and you will be presented with a great opportunity! Stay positive :)

Reactions: 2 users