SMDEP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got denied to all three: Case, Duke, and Washington. Surprised because I kept being told I was a strong applicant from my references, people who saw my essay, and all. BUT my life is under Christ's control. Last year, I was a weak applicant, denied from 2 internships, but ended up volunteering, shadowing, and working at a summer camp. His will is much better than mine.

Happy for you guys!

Reactions: 6 users
I got denied to all three: Case, Duke, and Washington. Surprised because I kept being told I was a strong applicant from my references, people who saw my essay, and all. BUT my life is under Christ's control. Last year, I was a weak applicant, denied from 2 internships, but ended up volunteering, shadowing, and working at a summer camp. His will is much better than mine.

Happy for you guys!
I love your positivity! I absolutely agree w/ you. I'm sure there will be plenty in store for your future. Personally, I saw it as if I didn't get into any sites, it meant there was a better path for me to take.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be on the secod cycle. Just because of the storm they got my transcript 2 days late!

I have the option of going to rutgers, case western, and nebraska. Any suggestions?

I'm so excited for everyone that got in! Congratulations! To all who didn't get in, it's alright! :)

Please post your stats so future students who look at this thread can see! I'll definitely post my stats when I get my decision the 2nd cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
GOT ACCEPTED INTO UT AND HOWARD; DENIED COLOMBIA!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to Rutgers,UCLA, & case :S I'm leaning towards UCLA

Yes, I love 15 miles from UCLA and it is a beautiful campus and LA is an amazing city. David Geffen is my dream medical school! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
STATS:
-no EC
-GPA. 3.41 Science. 3.46
-One LoR received
-took a year off from school
-I am a supervisor for an airline & work 55 hours while still going to school full time
-Essays were strong & detailed
-Mexican

I didn't check off the disadvantage box in the application

Accepted to Duke! rejected from Washington and Case.
My stats:
  • GPA: 4.00
  • Caribbean Female
  • Essays: I think they were pretty good (very personal)
  • Extracurriculars- 3 ECs including research (8hr/wk) in a neurobiology lab
  • Rec Letters: Good
  • I checked off the disadvantaged box
  • Application completed on January 25

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so anxious now!! I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL APRIL :laugh:

Congrats|

I applied to UVA Duke & CaseWestern

Micro exam today:hungover:

Waiting till April XD+pity+

I need your opinion guys!!! UCLA or UT Houston? :shrug:

Accepted into Uva&howard denied duke.
3.041 GPA
Bomb personal essays, marching band as EC
One LOR.... Also disadvantaged African American

Last edited:
Accepted: UCLA, Louisville, & Howard.
Stats:
3.35 GPA
Disadvantaged African American
Strong essays
Strong LOC
6 EC's
Completed application form Nov. 4th
Whole application w/ transcripts etc. Completed January 28th.
Also I'm attending a 4 year college for those wondering if they can get into UCLA as 4 year students!

Accepted: Duke and Case Western
Denied: Washington
3.56 GPA
URM, economically and educationally disadvantaged (grew up in a rural area in Alabama)
VERY strong essays and letters of rec (one from pre health advisor and one from public speaking professor)
9 EC's- most of them displaying public health background
Submitted application on Nov.18th
Complete Dec. 17th
My current institution was actually an SMDEP site at one point, but it isn't anymore.

Still haven't found out about my admissions...called Yale and they said they can't tell me (I have to get my account unlocked).

I think everything on my app was pretty good (3.75 gpa,tons of ECs, etc). I'm a URM, but not disadvantaged economically. Will that ruin my chances?

Hey I'm thinking of making a Columbia SMDEP 2016 group on Facebook, but I need at least one other person in order to make it

Anyone want to make a Duke Facebook group?

Accepted: UVA, Texas, & Duke.
Stats:
Freshman in Community College
3.76 GPA
African-American and Spanish
Strong essays
Strong letters of recommendation (One from my adviser who attended SMDEP when it was still called MMEP, One from my math professor)
Not too many EC's
Volunteer and Work in the medical field
Completed application Jan. 14
Whole application w/ transcripts etc. Completed January 29th.

can the rejection be reversed if you contact the sites because I've been rejected from all three sites and I feel that I had a fair chance of getting in I wana know why I was rejected so is it a good idea to call the sites ?? Do you think it will help ??
Where did you apply to?

If we confirmed at a site are they going to send us a follow up email with more details?

Rejected - UWash, Columbia, UCLA
Economically disadvantaged
Asian (so not URM...?)
Freshman at a 4 year public uni with a lot of credits, so this will be my only and last year applying.
LOR from science/prehealth advisor (generic) and professor (great)
GPA when applied in Dec 3.53/4.00 from midterm grades
GPA on transcript 3.73/4.00 (first semester grades)
Great essays
Extracurricular's - Multiple health/speech & debate/dental related (shadowing, etc)/science related, including research and a summer job
Application submitted in mid December, and fully completed on Jan 22, 2016.

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance! :)

Columbia, Rutgers and Yale
What are your stats? If you don't mind me asking. Sometimes where you apply determines a lot. Having variation between high tier institutions (like Yale) and average tier schools (like say Nebraska or UVA) is essential.

Hey Guys! I just confirmed to Nebraska for Dental!

After giving it a lot of thought I decided to go with UCLA!!!:clap::soexcited::banana:

Does anyone know what to bring to UCLA or if someone can write their experience with dorming and the activities there.

guys can i just vent:
my account is STILL locked and I was so happy that the office opens right when i wake up naturally (no class today until 3:45): at 8am Central. butttttt i called and the office is freaking closed for weather until noon:arghh: its going to be a long three hours.... (12ET= 11am Central).

guys can i just vent:
my account is STILL locked and I was so happy that the office opens right when i wake up naturally (no class today until 3:45): at 8am Central. butttttt i called and the office is freaking closed for weather until noon:arghh: its going to be a long three hours.... (12ET= 11am Central).
I hope you get in!!! :highfive: