SMDEP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was rejected from UCLA too and I am a community college student. I had my application completed by mid November and great stats too. But I am Indian/Pakistani (not URM) so I am sure that is a big reason I didn't get in. However, I am extremely blessed that UVA accepted me. I am sorry you didn't get in :( I'm sure that something amazing will occur and you will be presented with a great opportunity! Stay positive :)

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

In other news my application is finally in review :)

Members don't see this ad.

App also in review! They have yet to receive my recommendation letters though which is a little nerve-wracking :(. Applied to Yale, Houston, and Nebraska, and from Dallas, Texas. Hoping there's a bit of home court advantage ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to UCLA, UVA, and Washington for Medical by the way

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are great. How did you not get in???!
THANKS !
I talked to a representative from Houston the other day & she said I should have known to not apply with MORE THAN 60 hours on my transcript. so don't bother applying if you aren't a fresh-shopomore :)

Just a note for future applicants: I emailed UCLA concerning about having too many credits as I cashed in a lot of AP credits, and they only consider credits taken at the university for freshmen/sophomore status.
Yeah but I actually started my university on the 2012 cohort, taking government classes, and psychology, and stuff like that (basics) since I was a sophomore in high school. So it is true I am very ahead. All of them were taken at my Uni. I only had one AP credit.

^^I actually also did a sort of high school-college program where I took college courses to get my high school diploma. None of those credits transferred to my new university, however (they wouldn't take them), so they don't show up on my latest college transcript. When I called the adcoms for Yale and Nebraska today they said it was fine, and I would still be considered. I guess there's a fine line they draw...

Anyone else not have their letters of recommendation processed yet? It's kinda starting to make me nervous... :dead:

Anyone else not have their letters of recommendation processed yet? It's kinda starting to make me nervous... :dead:

Mine were all processed on March 3rd.
Did you email or call them?

15 more days!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ahhh so close, yet so far

I'm already so nervous!! I just want to be accepted into one site, I don't even care which it is!

Reactions: 1 users
I feel you guys So excited yet nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
FINALLY SAYS LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION RECEIVED PRAISE :clap:

FINALLY SAYS LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION RECEIVED PRAISE :clap:
Hey, may I ask when u sent out the letters? Mine is still not received! I am afriad that it was lost.

Hey, may I ask when u sent out the letters? Mine is still not received! I am afriad that it was lost.
Hey! If it's been over 10 business days you should probably call SMDEP. :) My professor sent hers out, got a confirmation email, and it still got lost. We had to resubmit it in.

Hey! If it's been over 10 business days you should probably call SMDEP. :) My professor sent hers out, got a confirmation email, and it still got lost. We had to resubmit it in.
I don't know how many times I have called in for that issue.. but I think it is too late to resubmit it right now. :(

I don't know how many times I have called in for that issue.. but I think it is too late to resubmit it right now. :(

I'm sorry. :( I would still try calling in a final time and explaining, it can't hurt. I think if it says your application is in review that's always a good sign, especially if you're one recommendation in. I remember my application was missing a rec by the February deadline but I was still able to get my acceptance, good luck!!

I called them early on, then sent an email about a week ago. The email stated that they were still processing letters sent in on FEB 24th! (Again, this was halfway through March) So, if you sent them in sort of last minute, I wouldn't be too worried yet, as they have a large backlog. Wishing you the best!

I called them early on, then sent an email about a week ago. The email stated that they were still processing letters sent in on FEB 24th! (Again, this was halfway through March) So, if you sent them in sort of last minute, I wouldn't be too worried yet, as they have a large backlog. Wishing you the best!
I don't know how many times I have called in for that issue. but I think it is too late to resubmit it right now. :(

make your professor sent the LOR by fax the received at the same moment. Later call the office personally and ask them to update your application manually and call each site on the same day to check your application
it's never too late keep it positive

Does anyone know if dental schools accept recommendation letters from previous employers? I started a new job within the past year and do not think I would get as strong of a recommendation letter from my current employer.

I wish I found this video sooner! It gives a bunch of valuable information.

Just a little over a week to go...

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhh so we'll basically know Thursday night? 12:00 am eastern time?

Yes!! So close!

Ahhhh we're so close. I know my chances are slim since my GPA isn't that great, I've gotten a lot of C's, and I didn't take that many science classes yet, but I'm still excited!

So we have 30 hours left basically since's it coming out tomorrow at 12 AM (Eastern Time)?

Just got the email detailing what our decision's mean (for Friday)... Site full basically means not accepted, right? Why is there a distinction?

Ahhhh we're so close. I know my chances are slim since my GPA isn't that great, I've gotten a lot of C's, and I didn't take that many science classes yet, but I'm still excited!

So we have 30 hours left basically since's it coming out tomorrow at 12 AM (Eastern Time)?
Haha I like how we posted at almost exactly the same time

I applied to Louisville, Columbia, and Howard for dental. I pray I will be accepted into at least one site. Good luck guys!

Haha I like how we posted at almost exactly the same time

Wow that's crazy haha! Basically site full means that they accepted all their applicants before they got to review your application. That really sucks because what they're saying is you could've been a great fit but all their spots were full by the time they read your application.

Does that make sense to you?

Wow that's crazy haha! Basically site full means that they accepted all their applicants before they got to review your application. That really sucks because what they're saying is you could've been a great fit but all their spots were full by the time they read your application.

Does that make sense to you?
Dang it, that would suck... I wish they would tell us if a site was nearing capacity when we applied... (How many people do they accept early decision, btw?)

Dang it, that would suck... I wish they would tell us if a site was nearing capacity when we applied... (How many people do they accept early decision, btw?)
I don't think there's a set number. They accept as many as they want I'm assuming

I don't think there's a set number. They accept as many as they want I'm assuming

From a thread last year, someone who called was told that 80 students are accepted for each location. (60 medical/20 dentals)

Hi guys! I just wanted to wish everyone good luck tonight, and congrats to everyone who will be going to SMDEP this summer :) Can't wait to meet you guys!

Last edited:
This is so exciting! Good luck to everyone tonight! :)

Good luck everyone!!! It's finally here! Stay positive!

From a thread last year, someone who called was told that 80 students are accepted for each location. (60 medical/20 dentals)
I meant to say they don't have a set number of early applicants that they accept, if they want to accept 80 right then and there they could

Not even checking tonight, I've got a big midterm tomorrow at 10 and don't want to get my exam too wet with my tears if I don't make it in anywhere XD

Excited/super nervous!! Just wrote a list of other summer plans just so I don't feel too bad in case of rejection

Good luck guys! Can't wait to see if anyone else gets accepted to UCLA for dental :)

Remember, "rejection does not mean you weren't good enough, it just means they failed to notice what value you have to offer." :prof:

Goodluck to all.

I didn't want to post anything until after decisions were made but I truly am nervous and I want you all to know that you are all amazing. This has got to be one of the longest hour I have ever experienced. No matter what the decisions play out to be you will all make fantastic physicians and dentists.

Ive mentally came to a conclusion
Rejection = Motivation

Acceptance =Motivation

Reactions: 7 users
I love how supportive everyone is :)

34 minutes! It doesn't seem real!