Smoking during MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edx102$

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Years I have been smoking (marijuana) at night after finishing all my work/ studying. I’ve had pretty good grades and I don’t think smoking had much of a negative impact in college. I’m concerned it may inhibit my total learning capacity while studying for the mcat which contains just so much material. Anyone have any experience on either quitting for the mcat or doing well without quitting?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For Years I have been smoking (marijuana) at night after finishing all my work/ studying. I’ve had pretty good grades and I don’t think smoking had much of a negative impact in college. I’m concerned it may inhibit my total learning capacity while studying for the mcat which contains just so much material. Anyone have any experience on either quitting for the mcat or doing well without quitting?

If there’s any doubt in your mind it would impede your learning why not take a few month break? Don’t look for anyone to justify what you have total control over-if they do well does not mean you will do well etc. Be safe, find a new method to relax/wind down for two-three months and kill the MCAT

If you study high, don't make the mistake of taking the MCAT sober.

State-dependent memory - Wikipedia

Weingartner, H., Adefris, W., Eich, J.E., et al., (1976) Encoding-imagery specificity in alcohol state-dependent learning. Journal of Experimental Psychology-Human Learning and Memory, 2(1), 83–87.

Weingartner, H., Faillace, J. (1971) Alcohol state-dependent learning in man, Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 153(6), 395–406.

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you find it is clearly inhibiting your ability to focus and retain the information, then it is a no-brainer. Stop smoking.

If it is less clear, here are some things to think about as you move forward:
- The fact that you are worried about it means that it will likely be having some effect on your focus/performance
- Say you keep smoking, and you get the score report back...do you want to wonder if you could have done better w/o smoking?
- Do you want to risk missing out on a shadowing/research/job opportunity before or during medical school because you can't pass a urine screen?
- Do you think it really helps you mellow out that much, or is it more of a habit now?

I'm sure you're a bright guy/gal, you'll figure it out.

Maybe you should stop smoking because, oh I don't know, smoking is bad for you?

Reactions: 10 users
This was the funniest thing I've read on SDN:

"Smoke weed while studying for the MCAT? Make sure to get stoned before the MCAT. Here's a few papers to support why this is actually a good idea."

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

"Smoke weed while studying for the MCAT? Make sure to get stoned before the MCAT. Here's a few papers to support why this is actually a good idea."
Methinks the joke went over your head

Reactions: 1 user
I also have a similar routine of smoking after I get all my work done. I don't do my work or reading high or even buzzed, though. I cannot focus when I am high. I think the way smoking actually helps me is
1.) The reward of having a pleasurable hour or two chilling high watching Cops or Judge Judy at the end of every day
2.) Keeps my sleep schedule on track. I usually smoke between ten and eleven but no later than eleven. Get to SLEEP by midnight every night. Otherwise I get to bed by 2 and sleepp by about 4 or 5.

I will probably smoke a little during MCAT studying if my erratic sleep habit is a problem.

EAA89739-E82A-42B8-A278-677CA0A31584.jpeg

Reactions: 13 users
And still the same chances of COPD and heart disease....

I don’t think that is factual yet...Especially when we’re taking about vaporized mj and not the E-cig but I could be uninformed

Why not just grow up and quit? Nobody wants a doctor who smokes weed.

Reactions: 4 users
Eh I honestly don't care if my doctor smokes weed any more than I care if my doctor has a drink when he's off, as long as he does a good job.

Reactions: 10 users
I personally don’t like being dependent on anything like that try taking a break from it and see if you retain info better. A break is good anyways

Reactions: 2 users
I know doctors and nurses that do a whole lot worse than marijuana. An ICU nurse I know regularly drops acid and does ecstacy and I know an MD PHD that uses psychedelics to "expand her mind"

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not a user, but I am for complete legalization of marijuana. That being said, a simple pubmed search shows plenty of papers on this topic. I don't have time to read the articles in full right now, but glancing over the abstracts, there seems to be a correlation.

1) Marijuana and lung diseases. - PubMed - NCBI
2) A Systematic Review of the Respiratory Effects of Inhalational Marijuana. - PubMed - NCBI
3) Marijuana smoke induces severe pulmonary hyperresponsiveness, inflammation, and emphysema in a predictive mouse model not via CB1 receptor activation. - PubMed - NCBI
4) Damaging Effects of Cannabis Use on the Lungs. - PubMed - NCBI

I have never used any illicit substance but if it were legal (or I had no risk of losing a job) I would probably indulge in some sort of edible.

Not a fan of any smoke (severe allergies), but I use St. John’s wort, skullcap extract, and valerian to relax and would love to grow these as well as marijuana for therapeutic use. Horticulture is a passion of mine.

Not putting my career at risk however.

Pot brownies before starting and then during your snack breaks. Please return with results. I would also put this as research on AMCAS.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not a user, but I am for complete legalization of marijuana. That being said, a simple pubmed search shows plenty of papers on this topic. I don't have time to read the articles in full right now, but glancing over the abstracts, there seems to be a correlation.

1) Marijuana and lung diseases. - PubMed - NCBI
2) A Systematic Review of the Respiratory Effects of Inhalational Marijuana. - PubMed - NCBI
3) Marijuana smoke induces severe pulmonary hyperresponsiveness, inflammation, and emphysema in a predictive mouse model not via CB1 receptor activation. - PubMed - NCBI
4) Damaging Effects of Cannabis Use on the Lungs. - PubMed - NCBI

Only took a a quick skim of these pubs, but I’m pretty sure this is about regular smoking of weed-whereas the argument was made for the vaporized concentrates. I assume smoking anything may have negative effect (even if just vapor) although I think it would be foolish to think we have enough longitudinal data at this point in time to publish anything on the matter as mj has be grossly under-researched

Only took a a quick skim of these pubs, but I’m pretty sure this is about regular smoking of weed-whereas the argument was made for the vaporized concentrates. I assume smoking anything may have negative effect (even if just vapor) although I think it would be foolish to think we have enough longitudinal data at this point in time to publish anything on the matter as mj has be grossly under-researched
Very true, more research is needed!

Do whatever you want b/c you're going to justify your actions either way. Of course marijuana is bad for you but why should I care what you do?

Reactions: 4 users
N = 1, but I have been smoking regularly before studying for the MCAT and smoked a small bowl literally everyday after work and before studying for the MCAT that night. It helped me focus and keep the anxiety down, and I guess it really depends on the person whether smoking is a feasible idea when you're studying. I got a 523.

N = 1, but I have been smoking regularly before studying for the MCAT and smoked a small bowl literally everyday after work and before studying for the MCAT that night. It helped me focus and keep the anxiety down, and I guess it really depends on the person whether smoking is a feasible idea when you're studying. I got a 523.
Champ good for you. I would never try this... Just for curiosity sake was the 523 a surprise or have you always been far above average in your classes/ former standardized tests

Champ good for you. I would never try this... Just for curiosity sake was the 523 a surprise or have you always been far above average in your classes/ former standardized tests

I would say that it was a surprise...attended a top 10 school, but didn't do that stellar in classes. Also, got a 2250 on the SAT.

I would say that it was a surprise...attended a top 10 school, but didn't do that stellar in classes. Also, got a 2250 on the SAT.
knew this guy in high school who smoked marijuana every single day, both before class and when he studied. the guy had a 4.0 GPA at graduation while being an IB and AP student

I still wonder what he's up to these days. He ended up going to MIT

I don’t care what someone does if they can kick ass doing it. If dropping acid does it for you, go for it.

Kerry Mullins (sic). That guy makes a valid argument for responsible drug use. Quite frankly, my greatest support for legalization stems from taking decision making based on incomplete, and often anecdotal, science out of the hands of doctors, as in medical marijuana permission slips, and puts it back in the realm of personal choice. If you take care of your business then I could care less what you do off the clock.

I get it, I blaze from time to time. It good to just chill out and relax. id rather take it than anxiety stuff.

Why not just grow up and quit? Nobody wants a doctor who smokes weed.

Ehhhh, personally wouldn't have anything against my PCP if he/she smoked weed.

:laugh::laugh:

I know doctors and nurses that do a whole lot worse than marijuana. An ICU nurse I know regularly drops acid and does ecstacy and I know an MD PHD that uses psychedelics to "expand her mind"

Spot on, drug use is very common by physicians. Just like the rest of the population. Count the next ten physicians you see, at least 2-3 of them probably engage in some type of recreational drug use within the past year

Kerry Mullins (sic). That guy makes a valid argument for responsible drug use. Quite frankly, my greatest support for legalization stems from taking decision making based on incomplete, and often anecdotal, science out of the hands of doctors, as in medical marijuana permission slips, and puts it back in the realm of personal choice. If you take care of your business then I could care less what you do off the clock.

Part of the problem may be that responsible drug use turns into irresponsible drug use.

I personally feel like all drugs should be criminalized, but I am okay with there being restrictions on healthcare workers for obvious reasons. However, they need to develop a better test for marijuana, it should be okay to partake when not on the clock.

I personally feel like all drugs should be criminalized, but I am okay with there being restrictions on healthcare workers for obvious reasons. However, they need to develop a better test for marijuana, it should be okay to partake when not on the clock.

Maybe the answer is not to test for it. If the individual isn't impaired while at work, they shouldn't be testing. This goes for both MJ and nicotine.

Yeah but you need a test to tell if theyre impaired. Just like if you go to work intoxicated, they'll do a blood test.

Im saying a THC test sensitive enough to basically know if the individual is currently impaired. Back in the 70s, you could be high as could be and they couldn't prove it due to a lack of test altogether.

N = 1 a friend of mine used to smoke cigarettes, weed and drink coffee everyday during his MCAT study breaks and he swore that that particular combination helped him stay focused and alert. I was skeptical at first but he got a 514.

Anyway, as a future physician I personally would not want to be dependent on that combination to feel relaxed and focused. This is especially true when patient's lives are at stake and I can't exactly whip out a bong and toke up in front of the whole ER lol.

Now if I was in psychiatry then it almost becomes a necessity....