Smoking during MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, I would quit. I’ve had the same question and I learned (the hard way) that I can’t smoke and study, even if the smoking was at night. The morning after I would wake up late and get little done. That being said...

If it works for you and you can do well on practice tests (only real metric to measure MCAT performance) then don’t listen to anyone and do you.

By the way you’ll have to quit eventually so it’s up to you when you wanna do that

Members don't see this ad.

You could consider being evaluated by a psychiatrist and switching out the cannibis for something more manageable. Like if you have anxiety, a drug like Hydroxyzine could help. Or maybe an SSRI. They could help the nerves while also not slowing cognitive processing as cannibis does

I may have indulged a bit back before starting school (I have since stopped to not risk liability concerns) and scored a 518. I took the exam 100% sober however. It’s all about how it affects you. Something that works for one person may not work for another. Personally, I felt it helped me push through long days of monotonous review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why tell OP things he obviously knows?

Does he? Some people think it’s no more harmful than a lot of other things that have always been legal.

Anyway, I would suggest that he quit, completely, for a variety of reason.

Reactions: 1 user
You wonder how many people here have thought what taking a schedule 1 drug that can be easily tested for a month after ingestion can effect their employability.

Reactions: 1 user
People sure play fast and loose with the possibility of losing it all over some weed.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I see both sides. The worst things that can happen to you are due to what others do to you for using it, like locking you away, killing you if you resist, or firing you etc (even if you aren’t high on the job). It’s stupid. I’ve had patients with chronic pain or anxiety come in the hospital and say they don’t take gabapentin, OxyContin etc at home, they just smoke a little weed before bed. Also, I’ve had personal friends that have been prescribed all sorts of drugs like Ativan, Xanax, klonopin, etc. Many stopped taking them, and I even noticed that they did well when they smoked weed. And these weren’t stoners. They all worked and supported families. If I were in their situation, I would probably do the same thing. I’m not a big fan of pharmaceuticals unless absolutely necessary.

BUT not as stupid as using it knowing you could be drug tested and lose it all. Especially something like med school.

Weed has a bad stigma to it that makes (some) people think it is worse for your health than it is, despite having never tried it. In terms of medical research, the FDA actually has an interesting requirement for studies on marijuana, where investigators have to report a negative effect on health for every positive one they find in order to perpetuate the stigma. Nevertheless, drug tests are a real thing that will screw you if you fail, so it’s 110% not worth the risk in those cases