SNAP benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluvmycat

Reaction score
Do any students here (w/o children) receive/qualify for SNAP benefits? If so, what state are you in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
SNAP is meant to help people in need, generally what you get from loans should cover your food cost. As someone who worked in a setting that saw EBT in action (before medical school), it doesnt seem like an appropriate use of benefits to go to medical students. If they have a family or child to support while in medical school, that would be a little different, but a bit odd to go to a single medical school student when your future income will more than make up for it.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 17 users
SNAP is meant to help people in need, generally what you get from loans should cover your food cost. As someone who worked in a setting that saw EBT in action (before medical school), it doesnt seem like an appropriate use of benefits to go to medical students. If they have a family or child to support while in medical school, that would be a little different, but a bit odd to go to a single medical school student when your future income will more than make up for it.
Disagree, the cost of living in this country has skyrocketed and loans barely covered necessities before inflation spiked. Any assistance a student can use to ease the stress of finances should be welcomed so they might focus more of their energy towards study.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
I also disagree. Medical students don't live a lavish or luxurious lifestyle, its usually bill to bill and very frugally. Some students come from money because their parents are physicians, but those aren't exactly the one's I am talking about when I write this. I don't think just because you are a medical student you should be disqualified from need based assistance. We have just become accustomed to the idea that going into debt 300,000 dollars is okay when in reality it's not and no one should be paying for insurance or food with loans that is ridiculous. If you don't have help from parents then it is extremely stressful trying to manage all the expenses while in school. If you are over 26 then you are disqualified from your parents insurance and you will most likely get ****ty high deductible insurance which you pay around 2,500-3,000 a year for and likely won't ever get to use unless you are in a catastrophic accident since the deductible are so high. Aside from insurance one's food on a yearly basis will likely range between 3,000-4,000. These are expenses that some don't need to worry about because they come from money, but others do need to worry about them and must pay for them with loans. Our social services programs are NEED based and some medical students definitely NEED help, so step down from your high horse and acknowledge that paying for healthcare and food with loans is something that should not be accepted as okay. Future income is irrelevant in this conversation because no one knows what will happen tomorrow. If you get into a major accident and lose the ability to work your loans don't disappear. It's a dramatic and unlikely example to make a point, but hopefully my point is clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I also disagree. Medical students don't live a lavish or luxurious lifestyle, its usually bill to bill and very frugally. Some students come from money because their parents are physicians, but those aren't exactly the one's I am talking about when I write this. I don't think just because you are a medical student you should be disqualified from need based assistance. We have just become accustomed to the idea that going into debt 300,000 dollars is okay when in reality it's not and no one should be paying for insurance or food with loans that is ridiculous. If you don't have help from parents then it is extremely stressful trying to manage all the expenses while in school. If you are over 26 then you are disqualified from your parents insurance and you will most likely get ****ty high deductible insurance which you pay around 2,500-3,000 a year for and likely won't ever get to use unless you are in a catastrophic accident since the deductible are so high. Aside from insurance one's food on a yearly basis will likely range between 3,000-4,000. These are expenses that some don't need to worry about because they come from money, but I others do need to worry about them and must pay for them with loans. Our social services programs are NEED based and some medical students definitely NEED help, so step down from your high horse and acknowledge that paying for healthcare and food with loans is something that should not be accepted as okay.

I had zero help from my parents, paid for all of my medical school myself with loans, and managed to make it just fine. This wasn't too long ago. You can disagree with me and have your own opinion but the reality is even though medical school costs are ridiculous and student loans are ridiculous, once you make it through as an attending you will likely live a lifestyle better than most people in America. Most other people dependent on SNAP will not have that same luxury that you will have.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I had zero help from my parents, paid for all of my medical school myself with loans, and managed to make it just fine. This wasn't too long ago. You can disagree with me and have your own opinion but the reality is even though medical school costs are ridiculous and student loans are ridiculous, once you make it through as an attending you will likely live a lifestyle better than most people in America. Most other people dependent on SNAP will not have that same luxury that you will have.
This is true, but no one is talking about using SNAP or Medicaid outside of medical school. My argument is that you are essentially condoning the use of loans in order to buy food and health insurance. I disagree and think that if one doesn't have the money to afford these (i.e. income not loans) then they should be provided by the state.

Reactions: 1 users
This is true, but no one is talking about using SNAP or Medicaid outside of medical school. My argument is that you are essentially condoning the use of loans in order to buy food and health insurance. I disagree and think that if one doesn't have the money to afford these (i.e. income not loans) then they should be provided by the state.

I work in a setting helping people that have basically nothing, every medical comorbidity you can imagine, and severe mental illness. People stuck in the circle of poverty. I would like to see government aide focusing on these people who were never given a chance to succeed is simply my point. It is hard for you to see now, and hard for many premed/med students, but those who make it through and become an attending will more than likely have a very blessed life, even if there is a high number of loans. I graduated >350k, and I should be able to have my loans finished in roughly 5-5.5 years. Most people out there are not as lucky as me. I understand you are approaching it from an ethical standpoint of using loans to pay for food but im just looking at it from a different angle. Most physicians will have the ability to pay back their loans. A lot of other people will never escape debt.

I qualified for SNAP in Illinois, I do know some classmates who didn't qualify though. I'm not sure why I qualified and they didn't as I can't think of anything that distinguishes us financially (that I know of). Anyways I think that you should apply and see, worst that happens is you get told 'no'. In regards to whether students should qualify, I think absolutely yes they should. As someone else said, with inflation spiking rapidly and with no end in sight alongside a lack of increase in loans, a lot of students are going to be pinched hard. We should be focusing on studies and patient care, not where we get our next meal.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I qualified for SNAP in Illinois, I do know some classmates who didn't qualify though. I'm not sure why I qualified and they didn't as I can't think of anything that distinguishes us financially (that I know of). Anyways I think that you should apply and see, worst that happens is you get told 'no'. In regards to whether students should qualify, I think absolutely yes they should. As someone else said, with inflation spiking rapidly and with no end in sight alongside a lack of increase in loans, a lot of students are going to be pinched hard. We should be focusing on studies and patient care, not where we get our next meal.

Probably the difference is the people they live with. I’m not sure about snap but I know Medicaid takes into account everyone’s income in the home, not the single person applying. So if another student lives with their parents, likely they would be disqualified due to parental income.

Reactions: 1 user
With all due respect, if you qualify for it, it's for you. Plenty of people come out of poverty because of these programs, and I'd rather a have a physician that understands that level of poverty, rather than only children of docs. COL right now with inflation is ridiculous. I'm positive the loans haven't caught up because I knew multiple students who had to get in SNAP, CHIP, and Medicaid when I was in med school. Those programs were the difference between those people passing med school (by not spending all their time out of school working) and not.

If you qualify for it, it's for you. When you become a doc, you'll pay into those programs more than most, and perhaps you'll appreciate the impact they had on your life and as a result the importance of them.

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
I also disagree. Medical students don't live a lavish or luxurious lifestyle, its usually bill to bill and very frugally. Some students come from money because their parents are physicians, but those aren't exactly the one's I am talking about when I write this. I don't think just because you are a medical student you should be disqualified from need based assistance. We have just become accustomed to the idea that going into debt 300,000 dollars is okay when in reality it's not and no one should be paying for insurance or food with loans that is ridiculous. If you don't have help from parents then it is extremely stressful trying to manage all the expenses while in school. If you are over 26 then you are disqualified from your parents insurance and you will most likely get ****ty high deductible insurance which you pay around 2,500-3,000 a year for and likely won't ever get to use unless you are in a catastrophic accident since the deductible are so high. Aside from insurance one's food on a yearly basis will likely range between 3,000-4,000. These are expenses that some don't need to worry about because they come from money, but others do need to worry about them and must pay for them with loans. Our social services programs are NEED based and some medical students definitely NEED help, so step down from your high horse and acknowledge that paying for healthcare and food with loans is something that should not be accepted as okay. Future income is irrelevant in this conversation because no one knows what will happen tomorrow. If you get into a major accident and lose the ability to work your loans don't disappear. It's a dramatic and unlikely example to make a point, but hopefully my point is clear.
Actually, permanent disability (and showing that one is unable to reasonably earn a living to pay off their student loans) is one of the few cases where student loans can be discharged. That and death. Under current bankruptcy law student loans aren't discharged in the standard bankruptcy process (I believe they could be back in the day until people started taking advantage of it....).

But I agree and don't think it's unethical for med students to get a few hundred dollars in SNAP benefits if they show financial need. While you will presumably make much more as an attending you'll also be in the 35-37% federal income tax bracket and be be disproportionally paying the majority of the the taxes. The problem is showing you can qualify (which often involves showing financial independence from parents, having little to no assets under your name, etc....)

If you qualify for it, it’s for you. You’ll pay it all back and then some with your first attending paycheck anyway.

It’s crazy how much the system gaslights us into thinking we don’t deserve basic rights that anyone else is entitled to. Our country’s leaders literally write laws for their own financial benefit and we’re supposed to feel guilty for eating.

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
If you qualify for it, it’s for you. You’ll pay it all back and then some with your first attending paycheck anyway.

It’s crazy how much the system gaslights us into thinking we don’t deserve basic rights that anyone else is entitled to. Our country’s leaders literally write laws for their own financial benefit and we’re supposed to feel guilty for eating.
This. Poor students are honestly one of the perfect examples of a group the benefits work perfectly for. Because they aren’t on the benefits forever and eventually pay back in the system with their taxes.

The whole “someday you’ll make a lot of money so that’s why we’re going to screw you over now” mentality is the foundation of all the systemic abuse the medical system dumps on students and residents.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users

Good for you, but as a doctor I’ll also be paying my fair share of taxes FOR YEARS. As a doctor, I’ll also be giving back to my community by serving people. I don’t see anything wrong with getting SNAP while in med school. Why should people trying to better themselves and their community not get SNAP for a few years, but then some people who just sit at home do?

Reactions: 2 users

Do you mind me asking if you had to provide your bank account information? I have a few thousand dollars in a saving account, and I’m wondering if that would disqualify me from SNAP

Do you mind me asking if you had to provide your bank account information? I have a few thousand dollars in a saving account, and I’m wondering if that would disqualify me from SNAP
I had to self report the amount I had in my bank account. I never provided any actual documents. I was in a similar boat with you, also had a few thousand. Didn’t seem to matter.

I think that it can be an interesting question. For example, I will have no family support for med school, but I earned enough from my job to put a good chunk of money away. I will mostly use this for expenses. Certainly it would be unethical for me to use these programs even though I would qualify based on income? I wouldn’t feel comfortable using it but the gray zone blurs things in cases like this.

I do agree with med students without any savings using them, but can see where it would turn into a gray area. What about full scholarship receipients? Should they not be taking out any loans whatsoever?

Interesting debate

Last edited:
  • Dislike
I think that it can be an interesting question. For example, I will have no family support for med school, but I earned enough from my job to put a good chunk of money away. I will mostly use this for expenses. Certainly it would be unethical for me to use these programs even though I would qualify based on income? I wouldn’t feel comfortable using it but the gray zone blurs things in cases like this.

I do agree with med students without any savings using them, but can see where it would turn into a gray area. What about full scholarship receipients? Should they not be taking out any loans whatsoever?

Interesting debate
It’s not a debate. If you qualify then the program is designed for you. The program is NOT designed for people to receive benefits indefinitely.

Reactions: 6 users
for those who think you should get SNAP (and all the other goodies) because of inflation, do you think it should be taken away when inflation comes down?

for those who think you should get SNAP (and all the other goodies) because of inflation, do you think it should be taken away when inflation comes down?
Nope, I still think that students who qualify should enroll if they choose. Students should focus on studying not where food comes from.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope, I still think that students who qualify should enroll if they choose. Students should focus on studying not where food comes from.
I am talking about adult medical students, not kindergartners.

• Dislike
The program has eligibility criteria and has already been established to provide support for those that meet the criteria. If they wish to be more targeted in the support, the criteria should be changed. They could easily create criteria that eliminates those that are receiving income through loans or are enrolled in graduate/professional programs - they chose not to do so. Like it's been said - if you qualify for it, it’s for you.

Reactions: 4 users
I get EBT food stamps. I'm not ashamed. I'm grateful. Its always been my plan to give back when I do make comfortable living. Paying it forward.

• Love
UCSF encourages students to sign up for SNAP in California.

...calm down. We literally don't have an income.

This is what it’s made for, especially since it’s temporary. Besides you will pay it back in spades. My family went on WIC during medical school

To have that "future income" you mentioned, you have to survive till then? Right? :thinking:

Man look, get it if you believe you need the help, don't let anyone shame you into not accepting the assistance.

Why is this thread turning into a debate when OP was asking a very simple question? Extremely off-topic. This isn't an ethics class.

Why is this thread turning into a debate when OP was asking a very simple question? Extremely off-topic. This isn't an ethics class.
Additionally, it's not like people or scamming. There's a reason most states don't count your student loans as income and there isn't a purported shortage of SNAP to go around. OP should apply and pay it forward in the future.

Some people have thousands extra without having to take out any extra money, meanwhile others have to ask for COA adjustments every semester because their school isn't adjusting it's budgeted COA to correctly reflect the environment in which it exists. It's not rocket science.

It's been a rule of thumb for decades that anyone trying to make people feel guilty for using EBT clearly have never been in a position to need to use it, as anyone who has needed to use it knows the guilt and embarrassment one feels because of that, and they wouldn't want to rub that in. How can people be intelligent enough to get into med school, but not be able to grasp the concept of the huge difference in COA from one school to another, and how that huge difference is made even bigger by the relative cost of living in the city in which they are living?.. especially nowadays with the unprecedent levels of inflation and products with inelastic demand skyrocketing in price.

It's 100% relevant to a discussion about EBT/SNAP to call out those guilt tripping others, especially when for the rest of our lives we'll be paying into this same program to help others. As someone who's parents were guilt tripped for standing in line at the local food pantry, and had to watch them feel embarrassed, it's infuriating to see people who'll likely at least partially serve low SES people not have the decency or intellect to wrap their head around this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users