So conflicted about my DAT. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldiva27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Right now I am scheduled to take my first DAT a week from today on the 25th. However, I don't feel I am as prepared as I should be and am considering postponing it another week. I started off using Kaplan for about a month but found that to be a huge waste of my time and really regret using it. I recently found DAT Bootcamp and have read through all of Cliff's AP Bio and am reading through the Feralis Bio notes, have done all of Mike's general chemistry videos and am halfway through Mike's organic chemistry videos.

I feel like I have a good grasp on the science concepts but have not taken practice tests or started DAT destroyer questions yet. I also don't feel prepared for the QR section as I have only done minimal work for that so far. I've been practicing with PAT generators on the DAT bootcamp website but am struggling with timing still.

I had originally scheduled my DAT for July 20th but pushed that back to the 25th because I broke my ankle and had to get surgery. Shortly after this, my father got in a car accident and my aunt passed away which only further delayed my studying. (Not sure if this is a sign to postpone)

I am supposed to go to Iceland from July 26th-August 2nd so if I pushed my DAT back further, I would not be able to take it until August 4th at the earliest. If I take my DAT then, is this too late for this upcoming application cycle? I fully want to be prepared for the DAT but am also worried that taking it this late will look bad for my applications. I am also considering not going to Iceland at all to focus on my DAT, as that is more important right now, but have already spent a substantial amount of money to go on this trip. But, also due to my ankle can't walk without crutches yet either so that also factors into my trip plans.

I have not taken my DAT yet but I know that if I take it and do poorly, it would be too late to take it a second time and still apply for this cycle. So do I try to take it as scheduled (July 25th) even though I don't feel confident right now or push it back further after my trip (or not go at all?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Right now I am scheduled to take my first DAT a week from today on the 25th. However, I don't feel I am as prepared as I should be and am considering postponing it another week. I started off using Kaplan for about a month but found that to be a huge waste of my time and really regret using it. I recently found DAT Bootcamp and have read through all of Cliff's AP Bio and am reading through the Feralis Bio notes, have done all of Mike's general chemistry videos and am halfway through Mike's organic chemistry videos.

I feel like I have a good grasp on the science concepts but have not taken practice tests or started DAT destroyer questions yet. I also don't feel prepared for the QR section as I have only done minimal work for that so far. I've been practicing with PAT generators on the DAT bootcamp website but am struggling with timing still.

I had originally scheduled my DAT for July 20th but pushed that back to the 25th because I broke my ankle and had to get surgery. Shortly after this, my father got in a car accident and my aunt passed away which only further delayed my studying. (Not sure if this is a sign to postpone)

I am supposed to go to Iceland from July 26th-August 2nd so if I pushed my DAT back further, I would not be able to take it until August 4th at the earliest. If I take my DAT then, is this too late for this upcoming application cycle? I fully want to be prepared for the DAT but am also worried that taking it this late will look bad for my applications. I am also considering not going to Iceland at all to focus on my DAT, as that is more important right now, but have already spent a substantial amount of money to go on this trip. But, also due to my ankle can't walk without crutches yet either so that also factors into my trip plans.

I have not taken my DAT yet but I know that if I take it and do poorly, it would be too late to take it a second time and still apply for this cycle. So do I try to take it as scheduled (July 25th) even though I don't feel confident right now or push it back further after my trip (or not go at all?)

If you haven't taken ANY practice tests or done ANY destroyer problems I would highly advice moving it back to at least August 4th if not further. It won't matter if you can get in the upcoming application if your scores aren't good enough.