So i just came back from a Doctor's appt...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tourniquet1963

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to my first doctor's appt in years and the guy didnt even do a physical. I went to a DO, thinking i'd see some OMM or something.. but nothing; he didnt even touch me -- his assistant took my blood pressure and my temperature. I did mention i needed forms filled out for med school, so he filled it out and we just talked about med-school and what to expect and that was that. lol. should i call to make a follow up appt for an actual check up? get another doctor? maybe i should have mentioned something at the actual appt, but i didnt want to be late for work :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you came into the office for. If you came in because of a rash, then the Dr. wouldn't have to do any manipulation. If you came in to the office because of a back ache or headache, then you'll probably have OMM done to you.
Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that you didn't even get a physical from the Dr. I feel your pain, it was the NP who came in and took my bp, drew my blood, and prescribe the medicine. All the Doc (MD) did was signed for the prescription.

yes, disappointing indeed. no blood work either, not even weighed.. ahh $5 copay for his signature :thumbdown: the doc i work for could have done that :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
$5 copay? I'll switch you for my $25 copay. But nonetheless, totally disappointing.

I went to my first doctor's appt in years and the guy didnt even do a physical. I went to a DO, thinking i'd see some OMM or something.. but nothing; he didnt even touch me -- his assistant took my blood pressure and my temperature. I did mention i needed forms filled out for med school, so he filled it out and we just talked about med-school and what to expect and that was that. lol. should i call to make a follow up appt for an actual check up? get another doctor? maybe i should have mentioned something at the actual appt, but i didnt want to be late for work :oops:

With less than 5% DOs in practice using OMM, PCP docs needing to see 50 patients a day to make any money, and you coming in for a standard exam ... I really don't know what you were expecting ??? DOs are physicians ... you went and saw a doctor, he filled out your stuff, etc. Sorry it wasn't what you expected though ... but seems pretty standard.

With less than 5% DOs in practice using OMM, PCP docs needing to see 50 patients a day to make any money, and you coming in for a standard exam ... I really don't know what you were expecting ??? DOs are physicians ... you went and saw a doctor, he filled out your stuff, etc. Sorry it wasn't what you expected though ... but seems pretty standard.
but there was no check up! is this really standard where he doesnt even evaluate me or ask about my family history? it was my first time seeing this doctor.

shouldnt he have at least checked my breathing with his stethescope? i really dont know.. if this is the norm, ill accept it, if not, i'll make another appt :shrug:

Last edited:
Perhaps he should have been a little more complete on an initial exam. The reality is you were just there to get papers signed though right?

You didn't have a complaint so why were you hoping for OMM? To fix something you didn't complain about?

but there was no check up! is this really standard where he doesnt even evaluate me or ask about my family history? it was my first time seeing this doctor.

shouldnt he have at least checked my breathing with his stethescope? i really dont know.. if this is the norm, ill accept it, if not, i'll make another appt :shrug:

I mean, I'm not a doctor (though I did stay at a holiday inn express last night), but yes ... he probably should have been more careful, done a check up exam etc. However, I think docs get up there in practicing years and it just becomes the norm. If you don't feel comfortable, make another appointment and tell the doc you want a good checkup ... I get what you're saying though.

Just be glad the doctor wasn't looking for anything wrong with you.

Did you fill out some sort of new patient "form" that asked for any/all of your past medical history, family history, etc..... ? I don't think I've ever had a physician get into that stuff with me, was all just from whatever form they had me fill out while waiting. With the amount of patients some need to see there's no way they could spend a good 30+ min doing a full history/physical.

If you just went in to some papers signed and to be taken on as a new patient then that's probably what I'd expect from most places. Chances are you're young and healthy.

That said, if you don't feel comfortable with that then feel free to call around or try another doc. I have heard of a few who give you a full 30-60min the first time as a new patient going through a full and thorough H&P.

Perhaps he should have been a little more complete on an initial exam. The reality is you were just there to get papers signed though right?

You didn't have a complaint so why were you hoping for OMM? To fix something you didn't complain about?
no, i wasnt there just to get the papers signed. i wanted to see a doc while i still have insurance!

OMM or not, i could careless as long as i get evalauted. I guess he just thought i was there b/c of the papers. I think i'll pick another doctor.

Did you fill out some sort of new patient "form" that asked for any/all of your past medical history, family history, etc..... ? I don't think I've ever had a physician get into that stuff with me, was all just from whatever form they had me fill out while waiting. With the amount of patients some need to see there's no way they could spend a good 30+ min doing a full history/physical.

If you just went in to some papers signed and to be taken on as a new patient then that's probably what I'd expect from most places. Chances are you're young and healthy.

That said, if you don't feel comfortable with that then feel free to call around or try another doc. I have heard of a few who give you a full 30-60min the first time as a new patient going through a full and thorough H&P.
i guess times have changed regading doctors visits. I am young and healthy.. and i did fill out a family history form.. but my family has a history of cancer! with my dad just passing away a few months ago b/c of it.. hence my desire for an actual check up! there are many quiet diseases :scared:

thanks everyone for your input.

Just make another appointment and ask for a full healthy physical when you make the appointment. I just made my appointment with my pcp and explained how I needed to review my immunizations, have papers signed, and need a full physical. They scheduled me for an hour. Chances are the doc thought you came in JUST to have your papers signed and did just that. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess times have changed regading doctors visits. I am young and healthy.. and i did fill out a family history form.. but my family has a history of cancer! with my dad just passing away a few months ago b/c of it.. hence my desire for an actual check up! there are many quiet diseases :scared:

thanks everyone for your input.

Don't understand how on a common checkup the dr. will find cancer on/in you...

1) if you have skin cancer chances are YOU would notice something abnormal then HIM
2)If you're not complaining of ANY problems then he really can't diagnose cancer on the inside of you...
3)I assume you're fairly young. So he wouldn't expect testicular/prostate cancer just yet.

If you feel that something isnt right (like you have a fHx of cancer and you want to get checked out for anything) you have to tell the Dr. It's impractical for him to give everyone a complete cancer screening, but if you have sign/symptoms then he'd def. look around.
not supposed to look for zebras in medicine. If you're a healthy young guy, who needs a form signed....

Dann, i understand what you're saying.. im not asking him to check for every possible cancer or any disease. I was just expecting a physical, like you know, open your mouth, say AHH, breathe in, breathe out, check my reflexes, draw some blood.. i dont know.. i work with doctors.. and that's what most do on check ups!

Don't understand how on a common checkup the dr. will find cancer on/in you...

1) if you have skin cancer chances are YOU would notice something abnormal then HIM
2)If you're not complaining of ANY problems then he really can't diagnose cancer on the inside of you...
3)I assume you're fairly young. So he wouldn't expect testicular/prostate cancer just yet.

If you feel that something isnt right (like you have a fHx of cancer and you want to get checked out for anything) you have to tell the Dr. It's impractical for him to give everyone a complete cancer screening, but if you have sign/symptoms then he'd def. look around.
not supposed to look for zebras in medicine. If you're a healthy young guy, who needs a form signed....

Especially because she's female. :D

It is too bad the doc didn't seem to do what you wanted them to do. Perhaps there was a comunication error, like those have said before. He probably thought you just needed the forms signed and when on with the rest of his business. In terms of OMM, without a formal complaint, they aren't always going to check everything out...its just too much time. If you have a specific complaint, then it would warrant an osteopathic exam, given the doc actually performs OMM. I would reschedule and get the physical you want, so make sure you mention that when you call.

It is too bad the doc didn't seem to do what you wanted them to do. Perhaps there was a comunication error, like those have said before. He probably thought you just needed the forms signed and when on with the rest of his business. In terms of OMM, without a formal complaint, they aren't always going to check everything out...its just too much time. If you have a specific complaint, then it would warrant an osteopathic exam, given the doc actually performs OMM. I would reschedule and get the physical you want, so make sure you mention that when you call.
you're right, but i'm too embarrassed to go back to the same doc :oops: :laugh:

I went to my first doctor's appt in years and the guy didnt even do a physical.

When you come in for an appointment you are asked a chief complaint. If you told them you had forms to fill out for med school, then that's what happened. If you want a physical, you have to ASK for it. You'll get a thorough exam and a urinalysis. Maybe you'll get some blood work too, but if you don't have signs in the physical, then you probably won't get that.

You might think it sounds harsh, but a lot of people will come in and ask for something, then at the end of the appointment say they need something else. You will be most likely told to schedule an appointment for that later.

Medical offices run on a tight schedule and they don't have time to dillydally around while you decide what you want to do. That's a shame, maybe, but medicine is a business.

They took your vital signs and apparnetly they were ok. If you were in imminent danger, then something would have shown up in your vitals and a more thorough exam might have been done.

One of the things you learn is to look at patients. You can tell a whole lot about them from simple observation from across the room. A young, healthy guy who is walking well, talking well, and smiling with normal vital signs is not likely to have a whole lot of problems.

When my husband was accepted last summer he had to have an extensive physical before matriculating - blood tests to prove he had had measles, mumps, chicken pox (as we are in the age group that actually had these diseases),TB test (of course) and hundreds of dollars of immunizations (that our insurance only paid a little of saying they weren't necessary). If you have been accepted, see if you can download the health exam and immunization requirements and start the hepB series at least as it takes several months. By the way, you are required to be covered by health insurance while you are in med school - check out your options now as it is more expensive if you have a lapse in coverage.

Sorry if you already know all of this - we were a little surprised by the costs of it.