SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you mind elaborating on how you and your friend became involved in research? Through contacts at the hospital you rotated at? Website?
Thank you!

I'd never done research before so there could have been more efficient methods. I contacted the general surgery and urology program directors at a nearby medical school (my medical school was terrible and unhelpful, which potentially contributed to my unmatched status). The program directors put me in touch with people in their department, put me in touch with their friends across the country, and I was also told to look up online the NIH grant levels for urology departments and cold call the top 20-30 in the country asking if they had stuff available. There were a number of opportunities, but ended up finding my current position as a former student had done this research fellowship.

My friend basically approached our home department during rotations and said he wanted to get involved in research. Since he had a lot of time with none of his rotations being required and they didn't have to pay him it was easy for him to get involved in research.

Members don't see this ad.

US AMG
Step 1- Retake 200
Step 2- Retake 220
1 Interview Psych.
No calls on soap. Applying psych, Ty, prelim IM.

Hang in there guys. I'm sure most attention is going towards AMG's right now, at least in most cases

I am an AMG with no red flags (aside from not matching). I've received some calls this morning

Best of luck to all going through this process...

Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to share my SOAP experience from a few years ago with everyone. I had partially matched, and needed to find an internship position.

I had all of my applications in promptly, but had zero contact with any programs prior to the first round of offers on Wednesday. Once the first offers were over, I had three calls prior to round two. I still did not receive an offer in round two. During round three, I was contacted by two of the same programs from round two, one of whom told me that I would be receiving an offer during round three. And that is exactly what happened.

To everyone worrying about still not hearing from any programs, I suspect that there are at least two factors at play here. First, these programs (especially pre-lims) have an enormous amount of applications to sort through. As in hundreds. This takes time, and the easiest way to filter is down is to look at board scores. This leads to the second factor: there are some number of SOAP applicants who are very strong candidates, but failed to match ortho, ENT, derm, etc. Because of board score filtering, these applicants will be getting the majority of the round one offers. But they will mostly get matched in round one. If I had to guess, this is why I started getting calls during round two.

TLDR: unless you are a stellar applicant, with high board scores, don't be discouraged if you don't get any calls during round one of SOAP.

Reactions: 5 users
For those who got calls, may I know how long did they take and what kind of questions they asked?

I just wanted to share my SOAP experience from a few years ago with everyone. I had partially matched, and needed to find an internship position.

I had all of my applications in promptly, but had zero contact with any programs prior to the first round of offers on Wednesday. Once the first offers were over, I had three calls prior to round two. I still did not receive an offer in round two. During round three, I was contacted by two of the same programs from round two, one of whom told me that I would be receiving an offer during round three. And that is exactly what happened.

To everyone worrying about still not hearing from any programs, I suspect that there are at least two factors at play here. First, these programs (especially pre-lims) have an enormous amount of applications to sort through. As in hundreds. This takes time, and the easiest way to filter is down is to look at board scores. This leads to the second factor: there are some number of SOAP applicants who are very strong candidates, but failed to match ortho, ENT, derm, etc. Because of board score filtering, these applicants will be getting the majority of the round one offers. But they will mostly get matched in round one. If I had to guess, this is why I started getting calls during round two.

TLDR: unless you are a stellar applicant, with high board scores, don't be discouraged if you don't get any calls during round one of SOAP.
What is High Board Score?

US IMG
Step 1- 209
Step 2- 236 (second attempt)
CS - pass
2 IM interviews - didn't match

Applying IM and prelim Surg
No calls or emails yet, this is rough

Hey guys,
Former failed matcher from 2017 here. One thing that I want some of you to realize is the opportunity to not graduate this May. Me and a couple of my classmates were the first to do this at my school and its been successful in this years match. This method is really only viable if you have a financial means to do so and were blindsided by failing to match (ie thought you were fairly competitive). Your medical school will also try to fight you on this because if they're a US based med school they get some of their funding based on proportion of students that graduate on time. You should only consider this if you can't find something in the SOAP or your would be incredibly unhappy in the position available in the SOAP...

You still needed to pay tuition while doing the research to maintain your student status, right?

How does one go about finding positions for research in a field like psychiatry? My school already told me they would I rather not take a year off. If it means another year of loans but the chance to do psychiatry with a stronger application, that's something I'm willing to do

Well I'm not familiar enough with psych to know if research is desirable. What I would tell you is you should look to do research only if its an aspect of your application that can be improved. If you've got low board scores and have already done research likely a year doing research isn't going to help you as much as taking the year to just do tons of rotations, get super strong letters, and make sure people in the field can make phone calls on your behalf during the next interview season.

You still needed to pay tuition while doing the research to maintain your student status, right?
No. I only paid tuition when I came back to finish medical school this spring. Technically during the research fellowship you'd be on a deferral. No loan payments (though thats a different story for a different thread because I'd suggest anyone doing this actually make loan payments under the REPAYE program because your income is low and it cuts your accruing interest in half and give you another year towards PSLF but I digress). If your medical school is really nice they could technically just make you pay for rotations you'd make up in the spring but mine made me pay for a full semester for a single clerkship when I came back.

i did a year of research at a university program and they gave me a prelim gen surg spot but even that was a last minute thing, a spot opened up and the PD called me

Reactions: 2 users
frustrating .......no real calls but 3 telemarketers have called me so far.

Reactions: 1 users
When you reapply for the next match, do you still have access to the same letters on ERAS or do you need to get different ones?
As far as I have heard the same letters can be used for 2 consecutive years....

As far as I have heard the same letters can be used for 2 consecutive years....
You should contact your letter writers now and let them know you've failed to match (sound determined, not mopey when you contact them), and if you're planning on eventually reapplying you should definitely ask them now (while they still remember you) if they would write one in the future. Then when the next time rolls around your letter makes sense because they will include what you did after not matching, can talk about your dedication, and talk about why they still think you're a great candidate and why the match process failed you last year. Unless you're switching specialties and would want new letters anyway.

No. I only paid tuition when I came back to finish medical school this spring. Technically during the research fellowship you'd be on a deferral. No loan payments (though thats a different story for a different thread because I'd suggest anyone doing this actually make loan payments under the REPAYE program because your income is low and it cuts your accruing interest in half and give you another year towards PSLF but I digress). If your medical school is really nice they could technically just make you pay for rotations you'd make up in the spring but mine made me pay for a full semester for a single clerkship when I came back.
Sorry I am still unclear how this tuition work. Say in September I will submit application, if I am not a registered student, can I still claim I am a US senior? Then in Spring semester, if I am not registered, will the school still do the certification, etc.? Do you mean you were still registered student but your school's tuition policy allow you not to pay full tuition?

I'd never done research before so there could have been more efficient methods. I contacted the general surgery and urology program directors at a nearby medical school (my medical school was terrible and unhelpful, which potentially contributed to my unmatched status). The program directors put me in touch with people in their department, put me in touch with their friends across the country, and I was also told to look up online the NIH grant levels for urology departments and cold call the top 20-30 in the country asking if they had stuff available. There were a number of opportunities, but ended up finding my current position as a former student had done this research fellowship.

My friend basically approached our home department during rotations and said he wanted to get involved in research. Since he had a lot of time with none of his rotations being required and they didn't have to pay him it was easy for him to get involved in research.

Thank you so much!!! I'm starting to research research opportunities now.. still not giving up on SOAP tho!
Appreciate your story.

Still nothing. Doing some poking around into research and masters programs that only last 1 year (I like back up plans). This is doing WONDERS for my self esteem though :p

I did an MHA thru LSUS on my year after not matching the first time. Easy to apply for, one year, and all online. It was complimented in some interviews this last year, but I’m soap’ing so who knows if it helped.

Thank you very much for this info. I don't have good board scores but I matched into a really competitive specialty. Do you think the programs actively look for candidates you matched into competitive specialty? If not, that worries me a lot.

I'm in a similar situation, similar scores, transferred between Caribbean med schools after basic science. I think that's fairly common, and hope it's not a red flag for us!
sorry, but just going to a Caribbean school is a red flag and while transferring amongst Caribbean schools may be common, it generally isn't a good sign and yet another red flag.

Good luck with SOAP, but it is very difficult for I/FMG in SOAP...try to find a research spot for the next year that can help to boost your application for next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Got two IM calls withing the last hour and a half on top of my scheduled 1PM call. It seems like they're starting to make calls now.

Reactions: 4 users
Got two IM calls withing the last hour and a half on top of my scheduled 1PM call. It seems like they're starting to make calls now.
Congrats on getting calls. Are you an AMG

Is it true that most prelim surg spots go to the unmatched applicants from those institutions? If so, I guess I’m totally screwed.
can u apply to prelim spots of programs u applied to for categorical?

can u apply to prelim spots of programs u applied to for categorical?
yes you can, I did that not on purpose, but some of the unfilled prelim in medicine programs were the one I applied to as categorical.

sorry, but just going to a Caribbean school is a red flag and while transferring amongst Caribbean schools may be common, it generally isn't a good sign and yet another red flag.

Good luck with SOAP, but it is very difficult for I/FMG in SOAP...try to find a research spot for the next year that can help to boost your application for next year.
Caribbean medical students are quite aware of the challenge. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think it is useful to take another day off tomorrow if there are no calls today.
The issue is my cellphone gets not reception where I work.

Do you guys think it is useful to take another day off tomorrow if there are no calls today.
I think so, we get 2 rounds tom, so it will be a prime time.

Caribbean medical students are quite aware of the challenge. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement!
I am a caribbean grad myself...you would be surprised at how many are not aware. You are new to sdn, but many times information is posted not just for the OP, but for future visitors to the thread...your post made it sound as transferring to another caribbean school would have no impact on your competitiveness as an applicant and unfortunately it does...its not fair that as caribbean grads that there is a stigma and the you have to work even harder to get to the same place as your AMG counterparts to get the residency and fellowship interviews, but it is what it is...the good news is that once you are out in the real world of practicing medicine, its not really an issue...patients want doctors that care about them and can care for them...employees want someone who is good at their job.

again good luck in SOAP, but you should also be working on your plan C, D, and E.

Reactions: 9 users
My preceptor was very kind and actually gave me the entire week off. It certainly helps keep the pressure off from that end. Perhaps you could arrange something similar?

In the event that we get offers, where exactly on ERAS are they supposed to show up?

anyone getting calls? man it's already after 3 pm EST.... Should we expect calls in the evening as well?

Still no calls, applied to 45 preliminary surgery programs without really looking into any other options out of desperation and not having a whole understanding of the nature of SOAP.

Now considering I should have applied to some IM or Anesthesia programs.

my stats: non-US IMG / YOG 2015 / Step 1 255 / Step 2 CK 242 / Pass CS (all first attempts) / ECFMG certified / Taken Step 3 1 week ago, no score yet.
3 LORs from US surgeons as an observer
3 Interviews (one of the programs did not even rank me, low hit)
No research experience / publications / posters /presentations etc or USCE.

Applied to 120 General Surgery spots for the match. I had a strong notion that with scores only and what I now see as mediocre letters I could get in, but didn't see the red flags clearly in front me, such as every non-US IMG I ever met within the specialty had strong research and mainly contacts that got them through.

Hard pill to swallow, but hopefully I've learned from this experience, and if SOAP is unsuccessful or offers are dead-ends, I will seriously consider doing some research and applying again this year but with back up.

Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure how accurate this page is, but give it a try:
That needs a US phone number for verification which is a complicated process via callcentric an doesn't always work.
The easiest option is to buy a US Skype-in number. Skype will give you a local US phone number and the calls get forwarded to you.

Has anyone else who got interviews received an email with the programs benefits and employee agreement? And is there a chance that a person will get a spot by only talking to a resident? I haven't received my call by a staff member yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.