SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no calls, applied to 45 preliminary surgery programs without really looking into any other options out of desperation and not having a whole understanding of the nature of SOAP.

Now considering I should have applied to some IM or Anesthesia programs.

my stats: non-US IMG / YOG 2015 / Step 1 255 / Step 2 CK 242 / Pass CS (all first attempts) / ECFMG certified / Taken Step 3 1 week ago, no score yet.
3 LORs from US surgeons as an observer
3 Interviews (one of the programs did not even rank me, low hit)
No research experience / publications / posters /presentations etc or USCE.

Applied to 120 General Surgery spots for the match. I had a strong notion that with scores only and what I now see as mediocre letters I could get in, but didn't see the red flags clearly in front me, such as every non-US IMG I ever met within the specialty had strong research and mainly contacts that got them through.

Hard pill to swallow, but hopefully I've learned from this experience, and if SOAP is unsuccessful or offers are dead-ends, I will seriously consider doing some research and applying again this year but with back up.

Good luck to everyone.

How do you know if you weren't ranked?

Members don't see this ad.

Still no calls, applied to 45 preliminary surgery programs without really looking into any other options out of desperation and not having a whole understanding of the nature of SOAP.

my stats: non-US IMG / YOG 2015 / Step 1 255 / Step 2 CK 242 / Pass CS (all first attempts) / ECFMG certified / Taken Step 3 1 week ago, no score yet.

Applied to 120 General Surgery spots for the match. I had a strong notion that with scores only and what I now see as mediocre letters I could get in, but didn't see the red flags clearly in front me, such as every non-US IMG I ever met within the specialty had strong research and mainly contacts that got them through.

Hard pill to swallow, but hopefully I've learned from this experience, and if SOAP is unsuccessful or offers are dead-ends, I will seriously consider doing some research and applying again this year but with back up.

Good luck to everyone.[

Wow Bud. I wish you all the best. Those are some great stats

Has anyone else who got interviews received an email with the programs benefits and employee agreement? And is there a chance that a person will get a spot by only talking to a resident? I haven't received my call by a staff member yet.

I just got a generic email saying they enjoyed talking to me so on and so forth. So... yeah

My preceptor was very kind and actually gave me the entire week off. It certainly helps keep the pressure off from that end. Perhaps you could arrange something similar?

Be careful. I'm almost certain there was a thread like this in the past -- student had some problem, preceptor gave them a week off, then school got angry and initiated a professionalism investigation, since your school needs to approve any time off.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you find out that the program didn't rank you?

Probably the same way I found out. Program interviewed 70 people for 6 spots and had half those spots still remaining in SOAP. And that program was my number one... ugh

Has anyone else who got interviews received an email with the programs benefits and employee agreement? And is there a chance that a person will get a spot by only talking to a resident? I haven't received my call by a staff member yet.
No man, I got no calls at all today. You should get in touch with that resident who interviewed and ask what is going on.

Be careful. I'm almost certain there was a thread like this in the past -- student had some problem, preceptor gave them a week off, then school got angry and initiated a professionalism investigation, since your school needs to approve any time off.
Thank you for your concern, but my school was working on getting me a few days off regardless

Good luck to everyone.
How do u know they did not rank you??

That’s because you’re nothing to the school but a widget with an associated accounts receivable number. **** med schools.

Im a DO student. I applied only ACGME for IM and I had 11 interviews and ranked 11, but did not get matched :(
I applied to 45 FM progs at around 2pm yesterday...but no calls yet.
I did Step 1/2 + comlex 1/2; got 240/251 and 604/648. But I dun have much experience. I am also canadian n need a J1 and mostly applied to progs that sponsor J1 for SOAP, was not entirely sure on the rest. What are my chances that I will match by end of SOAP?

Im a DO student. I applied only ACGME for IM and I had 11 interviews and ranked 11, but did not get matched :(
I did Step 1/2 + comlex 1/2; got 240/251 and 604/648. But I dun have much experience. I am also canadian n need a J1 and mostly applied to progs that sponsor J1 for SOAP, was not entirely sure on the rest. What are my chances that I will match by end of SOAP?
For what it's worth... last time I spoke to my school, they told me that the SOAP is really cruel to DOs... :(

During Round 1, can I have offers even if I didn’t get phone interviews??

I had a buddy who this happened to. She’s about to graduate from that program now, they took her in the SOAP. She said the interview was super awkward.

Ugh. The sad thing is I thought they liked me, they told me all these things and then to not get ranked. And like a stupid idiot I would still take them back after what they did to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I finally got the second part to my first and only call....I hope tomorrow works in my favor. (US-IMG)

Good luck everyone

Reactions: 3 users
U.S. med student here.
Partially matched: got a prelim in NYC, but did not match into PM&R. This is my 2nd attempt.
Step 1: 197
Step 2: 227

Because I matched into a prelim program, I can only SOAP into advanced spots, of which there are only 14 open spots in total, in Rads, Rad/Onc, Neuro, and Anesthesia.
1 call so far from a Neuro program.

U.S. med student here.
Partially matched: got a prelim in NYC, but did not match into PM&R. This is my 2nd attempt.
Step 1: 197
Step 2: 227

Because I matched into a prelim program, I can only SOAP into advanced spots, of which there are only 14 open spots in total, in Rads, Rad/Onc, Neuro, and Anesthesia.
1 call so far from a Neuro program.
Thats awesome you got a call! I have similar scores and a big red flag but havent gotten a SOAP call in three years of SOAPing! Good luck man Neuro is a great field for someone interested in PMR!

dang... no call so far. It's almost 5 pm EST, It's getting pretty late now right?

Dang, so that is 11 pm EST. Thanks for the heads-up.

Probably the same way I found out. Program interviewed 70 people for 6 spots and had half those spots still remaining in SOAP. And that program was my number one... ugh
Wow... may be that program really likes to go through SOAP :rolleyes:

Oh thank god for you, sir! I've been at DEFCON 2 for hours now thinking it was too late.
You can't give up until the third round is over! And even then, there will be leftover programs to apply to, including programs that did not participate in SOAP!

Reactions: 2 users
You can't give up until the third round is over! And even then, there will be leftover programs to apply to, including programs that did not participate in SOAP!
Please tell me this statement applies to non-us IMGs too...........

yes you can, I did that not on purpose, but some of the unfilled prelim in medicine programs were the one I applied to as categorical.

By the way for anyone curious about this, whether for IM (or gen surg), it doesn't count towards an additional SOAP app to select multiple options under one program tab, ie selecting both a prelim and categorical under one surgical program only counts as "one" program).

Reactions: 2 users
what were you trying to match in ?

Status
Not open for further replies.