SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how the hell did you not match dude? didn't you have like 250+ step scores? Ur not IMG either as far as I remember?

WTF!
thanks for adding this to the thread I hit "refresh" on every 30 seconds (when I'm not on a thankful-phone-call/interview)

Step 1 < 250 but yes high scores. lots of speculation is possible but no time for that. goodnight it's past 11PM ET anyway, so ends one of the most testing days .......

Good luck tomorrow to all SOAP'ing SDN'ers!!! Really hoping for the best for all.:luck::luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Did any IMG get anything today?

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for adding this to the thread I hit "refresh" on every 30 seconds (when I'm not on a thankful-phone-call/interview)

Step 1 < 250 but yes high scores. lots of speculation is possible but no time for that. goodnight it's past 11PM ET anyway, so ends one of the most testing days .......

Good luck tomorrow to all SOAP'ing SDN'ers!!! Really hoping for the best for all.:luck::luck::xf:
75% unfilled psych spots are from programs which might not have participated in regular match. So basically 25% unfilled spots are from regular interview season.

Did any IMG get anything today?
US-IMG Graduated last year so ECFMG certified, and 75% thru an MHA program. Received one call for categorical IM. 211/211/pass

Reactions: 1 users
Rooting for all of you! Some of my favorite residents are people who scrambled/SOAPed for whatever reason. Please don’t let this crappy week make you think less of yourself as a human.

@QueenJames — be cool, this probably isn’t the thread to rub salt in the wound.

My bad dude I wasn't meaning to do that at all. I apologize.

i'm just perplexed to see all these folks with baller scores getting shot down.

What is the reason for that? Applying to too many competitive places?

I'm rooting for you man. I apologize if I made you feel any type of way. I know u must be stressed but I'm praying for you bro/sis!

Finally got made fun of for needing to SOAP into a PGY-1 program. Doesn't matter that the promised land is ahead of me. I am still too much of a failboat to get an intern position. It doesn't matter the people who said they'd be totally thrilled to have me there. It's all **** anyway.

If any of you are DOs and don't get something in the scramble there's also still AOA spots open that you just call the program and ask about. You have to wait til after the soap though....

How do I find a list of programs with spots still available? I looked on the AOA website and some programs say "spots open: 3," but list 0 under positions open when you click on the link.

Rooting for all of you! Some of my favorite residents are people who scrambled/SOAPed for whatever reason. Please don’t let this crappy week make you think less of yourself as a human.

@QueenJames — be cool, this probably isn’t the thread to rub salt in the wound.

I agree. My favorite resident during 3rd year was a US IMG who was very smart, great with patients, and humble. He kind of took me under his wing and taught me alot. Think it took him 2 cycles to match FM. He's chief resident I believe.

It's 4 AM EST, anyone got a call over night? I still got nothing.

How do I find a list of programs with spots still available? I looked on the AOA website and some programs say "spots open: 3," but list 0 under positions open when you click on the link.
I think aoa opportunities? Honestly if there’s a listing you’re interested in I would just call them because we all know how great they are at updating that website

Finally got made fun of for needing to SOAP into a PGY-1 program. Doesn't matter that the promised land is ahead of me. I am still too much of a failboat to get an intern position. It doesn't matter the people who said they'd be totally thrilled to have me there. It's all **** anyway.
Hey this happens to the best of us. Don’t worry, it’s all gonna work itself out and we’ll end up where we’re meant to be!

Nope, just standing on one contact so far...
Same here just got one surgery prelim interview I had on Monday. I guess this is it, right? According to SOAP schedule, the deadline for the program is 11:55 am, which is less than 4 hrs away. Would it be safe to assume lists are almost complete right?

Do you guys think people get SOAP calls illegally, for e.g School helping student ?

Do you guys think people get SOAP calls illegally, for e.g School helping student ?

Perhaps but honestly speaking, I don't think so. No school would take the risk. I think it is probably fair/safe for schools to talk to programs about their student once the program has initially reached out but I doubt the school will risk their safety and reach out first.

Same here just got one surgery prelim interview I had on Monday. I guess this is it, right? According to SOAP schedule, the deadline for the program is 11:55 am, which is less than 4 hrs away. Would it be safe to assume lists are almost complete right?

Guess so. Now the neurotic waiting is turning into high gear...

Is it even worth trying to apply in round 2? when does the round 2 start and will there be a list for unfilled spots available.?

Honestly, no. The risk of repercussions for a school being reported and not able to participate in the Match in the future far outweighs the benefit of helping a student via back channels. I know the first year of SOAP it was difficult for our dean and departmental attendings to understand that the rules had changed and they COULD NOT make those calls--but they are used to it now.

Would it be a little stalkerish if I sent an email to thank the staff member that interviewed me when she didn't give me her email and her email isn't on their site? I have an email from the program coordinator that sent me some information, so I think I can guess correctly what her email is.

No, you are welcome to say this.

Here is the Program VIOLATION for SOAP. "If I offer you a position, will you take it?"

Here is the Applicant VIOLATION for SOAP. "Hi, I know you haven't contacted me yet, but I'm fluent in Spanish and have a strong work ethic".

Everything else is fair game. Express interest, express offers. No contact outside of program initiation and no asking people to commit to a theoretical offer.

Honestly, no. The risk of repercussions for a school being reported and not able to participate in the Match in the future far outweighs the benefit of helping a student via back channels. I know the first year of SOAP it was difficult for our dean and departmental attendings to understand that the rules had changed and they COULD NOT make those calls--but they are used to it now.
I think your probably right. But i'm assuming once soap is over, its fair game for unfilled positions?

Would it be a little stalkerish if I sent an email to thank the staff member that interviewed me when she didn't give me her email and her email isn't on their site? I have an email from the program coordinator that sent me some information, so I think I can guess correctly what her email is.
Its worth the risk of seeming creepy at this point...

Perhaps but honestly speaking, I don't think so. No school would take the risk. I think it is probably fair/safe for schools to talk to programs about their student once the program has initially reached out but I doubt the school will risk their safety and reach out first.
You have a good point

Bear in mind, there are no lists. Programs just submit offers to the people they want. If they have only one spot, they can submit only one offer to one person. If it isn’t accepted they have to wait till round 2 to try for someone again.

So if you get any calls between now and the deadline, you’re still in the running.

So I know each job offer round is 2 hours long, but when during that time do programs typically send out offers? Will they always send them out immediately or is it possible for a program to wait halfway through a round and then submit an offer?

So I know each job offer round is 2 hours long, but when during that time do programs typically send out offers? Will they always send them out immediately or is it possible for a program to wait halfway through a round and then submit an offer?
My understanding is that all offers that are offered for the first round will be available by 12 pm. No offers are sent during the 2 hour time period.

My understanding is that all offers that are offered for the first round will be available by 12 pm. No offers are sent during the 2 hour time period.

Oh! So the two hour window of time is for the programs to submit their offers but we can’t see them until 2? This is going to be a long day

It’s immediately at 12 or whenever the offer period opens. You will either have some or not. The programs have to have their picks in before that or no offers will go out at all.

If memory serves you’ll get an email to check the R3 system when the SOAP round opens if you have an offer. Not sure if you don’t.

they have to submit their offers be 11:55 so i'm assuming we just get them at 12

I think your probably right. But i'm assuming once soap is over, its fair game for unfilled positions?

Correct. Positions may appear to be unfilled and not be, and positions may be created and not posted. So, best to stay in touch with Dean of Students and local PDs

Bear in mind, there are no lists. Programs just submit offers to the people they want. If they have only one spot, they can submit only one offer to one person. If it isn’t accepted they have to wait till round 2 to try for someone again.

So if you get any calls between now and the deadline, you’re still in the running.
What do you mean that there is no list? I think they rank us though: "Programs begin creating SOAP preference lists (Applicants do not submit a preference list for SOAP)." from http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2018-Match-Week-and-SOAP-Schedule.pdf

What do you mean that there is no list? I think they rank us though: "Programs begin creating SOAP preference lists (Applicants do not submit a preference list for SOAP)." from http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2018-Match-Week-and-SOAP-Schedule.pdf

It’s pointless for programs to make a rank list from what I can tell. Maybe they do though.

But it’s not like their offer just goes to the #2 if their #1 doesn’t take it. Their entire preference list may accept offers in round 1 and then what do they do?

But it doesn’t matter, this isn’t what anyone needs to worry about this morning.

It’s pointless for programs to make a rank list from what I can tell. Maybe they do though.

But it’s not like their offer just goes to the #2 if their #1 doesn’t take it. Their entire preference list may accept offers in round 1 and then what do they do?

But it doesn’t matter, this isn’t what anyone needs to worry about this morning.

Agreed, I think they just send out the number of offers as there are positions and are restricted to do anything further until the next round. Then based on the number of positions they have left, they can send out that many offers.

US DO. Feel confident about getting some kind of offer having spoken to 7 programs, but 2 of them are far and above more desirable than the others, 1 of which told me I was on their preference list. This program has multiple open positions, but I didn't get the feeling I was high enough on that list for a first round offer. I imagine one of the less desirable offers will come in the 1st round, and I guess my question is how likely is a program with multiple openings to fill all positions in the initial round? I probably sound ungrateful, but the gap between the desirability of this one and the others is massive

US DO. Feel confident about getting some kind of offer having spoken to 7 programs, but 2 of them are far and above more desirable than the others, 1 of which told me I was on their preference list. This program has multiple open positions, but I didn't get the feeling I was high enough on that list for a first round offer. I imagine one of the less desirable offers will come in the 1st round, and I guess my question is how likely is a program with multiple openings to fill all positions in the initial round? I probably sound ungrateful, but the gap between the desirability of this one and the others is massive
Good for you man, did you get all those 7 calls yesterday and Monday?

Thanks. 4 Monday, 3 Tuesday.
Mind if I ask your board scores? Despite the fact that I matched into my advanced position I literally got zero from medicine prelim/TY. I did not do well in my steps.

Yes, programs make a list even though only the number of offers go out that correspond with the number of slots they have open. During the two hours, they can see in real time when applicants who are on their list accept/decline their offer and accept other offers. Having the list saves time between rounds because they know immediately who is still available and whether they realistically need to interview more people/add more names.

AMG here. My second scramble. Nothing. Zero. Barely passed on my second attempt @ step 1, passed on first attempt @ CK with a 246. However, passed CS at 2nd attempt. Took a year off after graduating to regain my sanity. Barely passed Step 3 at first attempt during that year off.

Focused primarily on prelims. I shouldn't have used all 45 programs I think. What if the ones I applied to are filled when they refresh their list? I wouldn't be able to apply anywhere else.

Nobody deserves this kind of stress.

I've promised myself that if I don't get a spot, I'm done with medicine. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I will be done with medicine. It just isn't worth it anymore honestly.

I missed a call from a "No caller ID' number. No voice mail or number to call back. I had applied only to a few prelim surgery programs in Soap at the time of call. Can i contact the programs to inquire whether they called me or is it a match violation. Sorry if this question has been asked previously.

For those of you receiving those "100% guaranteed" verbal offers during your phone or Skype interviews: under no circumstance should you decline to interview with another program based on that guarantee, or cancel an interview that is already scheduled. Programs are reporting occurrences of this to the NRMP, which may lead to a Match violation investigation that you do not want.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.