SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh thank god for you, sir! I've been at DEFCON 2 for hours now thinking it was too late.
Lol, I have been at DEFCON 0 since I woke up today. Ordering my men to hold their ground.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Still no calls, applied to 45 preliminary surgery programs without really looking into any other options out of desperation and not having a whole understanding of the nature of SOAP.

Now considering I should have applied to some IM or Anesthesia programs.

Don't second-guess yourself on this. Only a handful of anesthesia programs have spots in SOAP, and they're going to get snatched up by everyone who didn't match ortho, optho or plastics. IM is going to be just as competitive, what with everyone who didn't match in any form of medical specialty trying to get one of those spots. If you don't get a prelim surgery program it's very unlikely you would have gotten into anesthesia or IM. You made the right choice here.

Reactions: 2 users
By the way for anyone curious about this, whether for IM (or gen surg), it doesn't count towards an additional SOAP app to select multiple options under one program tab, ie selecting both a prelim and categorical under one surgical program only counts as "one" program).
But what are the chances of anyone getting a Prelim spot in SOAP without already being matched to an Advanced spot ?

OMG I finally got a call! (super awkward conversation...)

Reactions: 11 users
If any of you are DOs and don't get something in the scramble there's also still AOA spots open that you just call the program and ask about. You have to wait til after the soap though....

Reactions: 1 user
If any of you are DOs and don't get something in the scramble there's also still AOA spots open that you just call the program and ask about. You have to wait til after the soap though....

Any suggestions on approaching programs (both AOA/ACGME) in the post-SOAP scramble via phone/email without sounding desperate?

But what are the chances of anyone getting a Prelim spot in SOAP without already being matched to an Advanced spot ?

What I'm saying is that if you didn't match to, e.g., IM, and you decide to apply to prelim IMs and whatever categorical IMs are open in SOAP, you may as well select both at a program that has both open because it only counts towards 1 of the 45 rather than 2. You're discussing whether getting a prelim through SOAP is feasible unless you're already partially matched to an advanced program, which is an entirely different conversation, and historically we can all agree you do not need to be partially matched to get a prelim through SOAP.

Don't second-guess yourself on this. Only a handful of anesthesia programs have spots in SOAP, and they're going to get snatched up by everyone who didn't match ortho, optho or plastics. IM is going to be just as competitive, what with everyone who didn't match in any form of medical specialty trying to get one of those spots. If you don't get a prelim surgery program it's very unlikely you would have gotten into anesthesia or IM. You made the right choice here.
thanks, good to know there's some logic to my madness.

Any suggestions on approaching programs (both AOA/ACGME) in the post-SOAP scramble via phone/email without sounding desperate?

Without sounding desperate? You should be very desperate right about now. Programs know that.

Had an interview and was theyd rank me highly. I called back saying you're my number 1 and was pretty much told the spot was mine if I wanted it. Then 4 hours later was called by someone else in the program wanting to get to know me real quick in like 5 minutes. I felt better before that second phone call, I felt like I stumbled and hopefully didn't blow it

Reactions: 3 users

What about the competitive nature of applying to psychiatry, neurology, and pediatrics unfilled spots in SOAP after failing to match into psychiatry initially? I am starting to wonder whether I should have applied to transitional year/preliminary or family medicine unfilled spots instead since I haven't received any calls yet...

Just want to provide some encouragement - I know how much it sucks not to match, and I felt the same desperation you guys are feeling now. I didn't get anything in SOAP, but I reapplied this year and matched! The programs I interviewed at were better than the ones I applied for in SOAP, and I had more control over where I ended up. While it seems like the end of the world now (it felt that way to me last year - SOAP week is brutal), just know that it's not the end. If it doesn't work out during SOAP, you can strengthen your application and re apply like I did. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Just want to provide some encouragement - I know how much it sucks not to match, and I felt the same desperation you guys are feeling now. I didn't get anything in SOAP, but I reapplied this year and matched! The programs I interviewed at were better than the ones I applied for in SOAP, and I had more control over where I ended up. While it seems like the end of the world now (it felt that way to me last year - SOAP week is brutal), just know that it's not the end. If it doesn't work out during SOAP, you can strengthen your application and re apply like I did. Good luck everyone!

Thank you for the words of encouragement! May I ask, what were some things you did to strengthen your application? Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for your encouragement, how did you strenghthen your application?

Had an interview and was theyd rank me highly. I called back saying you're my number 1 and was pretty much told the spot was mine if I wanted it. Then 4 hours later was called by someone else in the program wanting to get to know me real quick in like 5 minutes. I felt better before that second phone call, I felt like I stumbled and hopefully didn't blow it

Nice, congrats! what specialty was it, if you don't mind sharing.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! May I ask, what were some things you did to strengthen your application? Thanks

thanks for your encouragement, how did you strenghthen your application?

I took on a full-time, paid research job at my home institution. I volunteered at clinic twice a week to keep my clinical skills sharp (also added to my CV). This applies to FM, but I went to the AAFP national conference and networked with programs (secured at least three interviews this way). Because I switched specialties, I also secured very strong LORs and re-wrote my personal statement (got feedback from PDs). I did a lot of things differently the second time around, and I'm drafting a very long post with all my learnings!

Edit: here is that post! Re-applicant who matched - advice and encouragement

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Studying for Step 3 while I wait for calls....0 calls so far.
I need to show improvement on my boards scores for the next application year.
Step 1 failed first attempt, barely passed second attempt.
Step 2 failed first attempt, passed in 220's second attempt.
AMG.

Random question from a soon to be first year this fall, are there usually a lot of radiology spots left in the SOAP?

Is it a match violation to say "you're my number 1" during SOAP?

No, in fact it’s a really great idea.

Think about it. Tomorrow when the first round of applications goes out, each program has only a fixed number of offers to extend. There’s no match. If a program has 3 openings, they can extend 3 offers. If any of those offers are not accepted (because an applicant goes somewhere else) then they can’t be re-offered until round 2.

By round 2, the pool of applicants has thinned considerably in both number and quality. PD’s then face a higher risk of getting someone who will have problems in residency. They really really want/need those spots filled in the first round.

This is why the balance of power shifts somewhat to the applicants in SOAP (in my opinion); an applicant may receive a number of offers (up to the number of programs applied to technically). But can only accept one. The rest of those programs are kind of hosed in round 1.

So make your desires known, tell a program they’re your #1 if they are. If they aren’t, at least let them know you’re extremely interested in their program and hope to receive an offer. If PD’s think you’re less likely to accept an offer from them, they’d be dumb to extend it.

So let them know!

Reactions: 4 users
Random question from a soon to be first year this fall, are there usually a lot of radiology spots left in the SOAP?

There were in the past, but this year everything has tightened up, including rays. Do not base your plans on picking anything up in SOAP. You'll be able to see the details in a month or two when the NRMP releases the match results. I can't post links with my new throwaway account, but if you do a search for "2017 NRMP results" you can find the PDF with last year's data.

There were in the past, but this year everything has tightened up, including rays. Do not base your plans on picking anything up in SOAP. You'll be able to see the details in a month or two when the NRMP releases the match results. I can't post links with my new throwaway account, but if you do a search for "2017 NRMP results" you can find the PDF with last year's data.

Yeah haha Im not, I was just curious. Thanks though!

Man still no phone call lol. Could you re-post that stat survey again please?

Anyone heard from any EM programs???

Also, I got an email last night at 11:42 pm local time asking to set up an interview today. I think all hours are game.

Also, I got an email last night at 11:42 pm local time asking to set up an interview today. I think all hours are game.
I haven't heard from any, but then again there's only 10 spots so I bet they aren't going to interview that many applicants since they'll for sure get them filled pretty easily.

Hey guys I'm a rising M4 who is really hoping to match into Psychiatry. I've got pretty low scores (barely passed step 1, one pre-clinical fail and just passes 3rd year). Multiple advisors of mine have told me that psychiatry is getting pretty competitive. Can anyone who is going through SOAP now tell me how many psychiatry spots were open this year in the SOAP? I'm afraid I might be in your position next year and I'm just wondering if there are any left at the end to shoot for.

Thank you guys so much and I wish you all the best in SOAP. I can't even imagine how stressful this must be for you guys, but I''ll keep you guys in my thoughts!

Quick question regarding positions that are left available after SOAP finishes on Thursday. NRMP put out numbers last year of how many spots were available before SOAP and how many of those were filled during SOAP and subsequently how many were still available afterwards. I know we can just contact whoever we want at that point and try getting in. Take FM for example, there were 3 spots that were left unfilled after SOAP last year and if you check on FREIDA, there are exactly 3 FM PGY2 positions available for July 2018. Any thoughts on why these programs were left empty?
I will assume programs don't have to fill up quota just for the sake of filling up quota particularly if they feel the available candidates "are not what they want" +/ - if they feel 5 /8 residents in a particular year could still handle the workload

Not heard from any EM programs yet. Did you apply to all of them?

Not heard from any EM programs yet. Did you apply to all of them?

I sure did. Between here and Reddit (which has basically been my life for the past 24ish hours,) I have only seen one person who has heard from an EM program. They must be exclusive/have had shoe-ins. UGH

Same here, SOAP is def not easy.... I remember turning down one of the TY since it was going to cost me at least 2 grands for just traveling as it was a last min call in early Feb. I should have gone that interview.

I sure did. Between here and Reddit (which has basically been my life for the past 24ish hours,) I have only seen one person who has heard from an EM program. They must be exclusive/have had shoe-ins. UGH
can u share the reddit thread here if possible...thanks in advance

Damn. Yeah I did a year of prelim surgery at a University because that was all I got. I was hoping that would be enough proven performance for a US-IMG to switch into IM or FM.

Sorry I am still unclear how this tuition work. Say in September I will submit application, if I am not a registered student, can I still claim I am a US senior? Then in Spring semester, if I am not registered, will the school still do the certification, etc.? Do you mean you were still registered student but your school's tuition policy allow you not to pay full tuition?
In the Fall I was on a deferral with the school doing my fellowship but still received an ERAS token from them because you're allowed to request these. In the spring I was reenrolled starting in January so I was already back as a student when the match happened (though this wouldn't matter as long as I planned on graduating this may). All programs saw and understood on my application was that my medical school was extended by a year and I had a year long research fellowship included on my CV. The faculty had to read through my entire personal statement and application before realizing I hadn't matched because it isn't immediately obvious and it helped in not getting objectively screened out of interviews.

Hey guys I'm a rising M4 who is really hoping to match into Psychiatry. I've got pretty low scores (barely passed step 1, one pre-clinical fail and just passes 3rd year). Multiple advisors of mine have told me that psychiatry is getting pretty competitive. Can anyone who is going through SOAP now tell me how many psychiatry spots were open this year in the SOAP? I'm afraid I might be in your position next year and I'm just wondering if there are any left at the end to shoot for.

Thank you guys so much and I wish you all the best in SOAP. I can't even imagine how stressful this must be for you guys, but I''ll keep you guys in my thoughts!

There are only a handful of psych spots available. This year everything has gotten a lot more competitive, including things like psych, path and rays that used to be fairly safe specialties. In your situation it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan, like doing an extra family medicine rotation and getting a LOR or two from it.

That could also be a positive that you got a second call. Clearly the program would interview more than one applicant. I'd suspect the most likely scenario is that the second person who called you talked to someone they liked earlier and their input was wanted on you as well for balance.

And for what it's worth, everyone knows how stressful SOAPing is, so a bit of stumbling and nervousness is pretty appropriate under the circumstances.

Best of luck to you --

Reactions: 3 users
While it is recommended to upload an alternative personal statement for SOAP for back-up specialties, is this necessary for the post-SOAP scramble? Or is it more heavily relied on calling and emailing programs?

I'm in the SOAP too. Ranked 10 psych programs but came out empty handed. Yikes

I applied to 45 programs, a mix of psych/IM/FM/surg-prelim. I have received 2 calls so far

how the hell did you not match dude? didn't you have like 250+ step scores? Ur not IMG either as far as I remember?

WTF!

Rooting for all of you! Some of my favorite residents are people who scrambled/SOAPed for whatever reason. Please don’t let this crappy week make you think less of yourself as a human.

@QueenJames — be cool, this probably isn’t the thread to rub salt in the wound.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.