SOAP 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by Batman's Underwear, Mar 11, 2018.

1. MudPhud20XX

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol, I have been at DEFCON 0 since I woke up today. Ordering my men to hold their ground.

guitar45 and physiatryorbust like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SOAPy Smith

Medical Student
    Don't second-guess yourself on this. Only a handful of anesthesia programs have spots in SOAP, and they're going to get snatched up by everyone who didn't match ortho, optho or plastics. IM is going to be just as competitive, what with everyone who didn't match in any form of medical specialty trying to get one of those spots. If you don't get a prelim surgery program it's very unlikely you would have gotten into anesthesia or IM. You made the right choice here.

4. It's a Wash

Medical Student
    But what are the chances of anyone getting a Prelim spot in SOAP without already being matched to an Advanced spot ?

5. physiatryorbust

OMG I finally got a call! (super awkward conversation...)

6. simbad8

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If any of you are DOs and don't get something in the scramble there's also still AOA spots open that you just call the program and ask about. You have to wait til after the soap though....

SLC likes this.
  7. djeon1

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you mind sharing your credentials?

8. blessy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any suggestions on approaching programs (both AOA/ACGME) in the post-SOAP scramble via phone/email without sounding desperate?

9. drmarsha

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What I'm saying is that if you didn't match to, e.g., IM, and you decide to apply to prelim IMs and whatever categorical IMs are open in SOAP, you may as well select both at a program that has both open because it only counts towards 1 of the 45 rather than 2. You're discussing whether getting a prelim through SOAP is feasible unless you're already partially matched to an advanced program, which is an entirely different conversation, and historically we can all agree you do not need to be partially matched to get a prelim through SOAP.

10. Angie Pooh

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Congrats! what type of PG?

11. daydreamstandard

Non-Student
    thanks, good to know there's some logic to my madness.

MudPhud20XX likes this.
  12. SLC

SLC Lock, Step, & Gone (Graduated!!!)
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Without sounding desperate? You should be very desperate right about now. Programs know that.

coffeelover1234 likes this.
  13. physiatryorbust

Internal Medicine prelim

I am a DO

14. Ogliodendrocyte

Medical Student
    Had an interview and was theyd rank me highly. I called back saying you're my number 1 and was pretty much told the spot was mine if I wanted it. Then 4 hours later was called by someone else in the program wanting to get to know me real quick in like 5 minutes. I felt better before that second phone call, I felt like I stumbled and hopefully didn't blow it

15. blessy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What about the competitive nature of applying to psychiatry, neurology, and pediatrics unfilled spots in SOAP after failing to match into psychiatry initially? I am starting to wonder whether I should have applied to transitional year/preliminary or family medicine unfilled spots instead since I haven't received any calls yet...

16. QOTSA

Just want to provide some encouragement - I know how much it sucks not to match, and I felt the same desperation you guys are feeling now. I didn't get anything in SOAP, but I reapplied this year and matched! The programs I interviewed at were better than the ones I applied for in SOAP, and I had more control over where I ended up. While it seems like the end of the world now (it felt that way to me last year - SOAP week is brutal), just know that it's not the end. If it doesn't work out during SOAP, you can strengthen your application and re apply like I did. Good luck everyone!

mcl, It's a Wash, MaxAA and 3 others like this.
  17. BBallisLife

Medical Student
    Thank you for the words of encouragement! May I ask, what were some things you did to strengthen your application? Thanks

DrMissWV likes this.
  18. daydreamstandard

Non-Student
    thanks for your encouragement, how did you strenghthen your application?

19. physiatryorbust

Oh good... on advice from my advisor, I sent a thank you email.... and promptly sent it to the wrong program. #facepalm This day, guys.....

20. SoapingG

Nice, congrats! what specialty was it, if you don't mind sharing.

21. Ogliodendrocyte

Medical Student
    I'll save the congratulations for tomorrow, but thank you! Its for a prelim year

Angie Pooh likes this.
  22. QOTSA

I took on a full-time, paid research job at my home institution. I volunteered at clinic twice a week to keep my clinical skills sharp (also added to my CV). This applies to FM, but I went to the AAFP national conference and networked with programs (secured at least three interviews this way). Because I switched specialties, I also secured very strong LORs and re-wrote my personal statement (got feedback from PDs). I did a lot of things differently the second time around, and I'm drafting a very long post with all my learnings!

Edit: here is that post! Re-applicant who matched - advice and encouragement

#321 QOTSA, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  23. mat419

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Studying for Step 3 while I wait for calls....0 calls so far.
    I need to show improvement on my boards scores for the next application year.
    Step 1 failed first attempt, barely passed second attempt.
    Step 2 failed first attempt, passed in 220's second attempt.
    AMG.

24. CyrusHabs7695

CyrusHabs7695 Go Habs Go...Next Year
    Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Random question from a soon to be first year this fall, are there usually a lot of radiology spots left in the SOAP?

25. QOTSA

It's a Wash, texturelikesun and TN86 like this.
  26. SLC

SLC Lock, Step, & Gone (Graduated!!!)
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, in fact it’s a really great idea.

Think about it. Tomorrow when the first round of applications goes out, each program has only a fixed number of offers to extend. There’s no match. If a program has 3 openings, they can extend 3 offers. If any of those offers are not accepted (because an applicant goes somewhere else) then they can’t be re-offered until round 2.

By round 2, the pool of applicants has thinned considerably in both number and quality. PD’s then face a higher risk of getting someone who will have problems in residency. They really really want/need those spots filled in the first round.

This is why the balance of power shifts somewhat to the applicants in SOAP (in my opinion); an applicant may receive a number of offers (up to the number of programs applied to technically). But can only accept one. The rest of those programs are kind of hosed in round 1.

So make your desires known, tell a program they’re your #1 if they are. If they aren’t, at least let them know you’re extremely interested in their program and hope to receive an offer. If PD’s think you’re less likely to accept an offer from them, they’d be dumb to extend it.

So let them know!

27. SOAPy Smith

Medical Student
    There were in the past, but this year everything has tightened up, including rays. Do not base your plans on picking anything up in SOAP. You'll be able to see the details in a month or two when the NRMP releases the match results. I can't post links with my new throwaway account, but if you do a search for "2017 NRMP results" you can find the PDF with last year's data.

28. CyrusHabs7695

CyrusHabs7695 Go Habs Go...Next Year
    Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Yeah haha Im not, I was just curious. Thanks though!

29. MudPhud20XX

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Man still no phone call lol. Could you re-post that stat survey again please?

30. colli512

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    its on page 3

31. einstein1990

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone heard from any EM programs???

Also, I got an email last night at 11:42 pm local time asking to set up an interview today. I think all hours are game.

It's a Wash likes this.
  32. DOGlobetrotter

Medical Student
    I haven't heard from any, but then again there's only 10 spots so I bet they aren't going to interview that many applicants since they'll for sure get them filled pretty easily.

Syncrohnize likes this.
  33. hopefulfutrpsych

Hey guys I'm a rising M4 who is really hoping to match into Psychiatry. I've got pretty low scores (barely passed step 1, one pre-clinical fail and just passes 3rd year). Multiple advisors of mine have told me that psychiatry is getting pretty competitive. Can anyone who is going through SOAP now tell me how many psychiatry spots were open this year in the SOAP? I'm afraid I might be in your position next year and I'm just wondering if there are any left at the end to shoot for.

Thank you guys so much and I wish you all the best in SOAP. I can't even imagine how stressful this must be for you guys, but I''ll keep you guys in my thoughts!

34. theosteoblasts

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nothing today so far. Getting desperate.

35. MDsooncome1

Medical Student
    Quick question regarding positions that are left available after SOAP finishes on Thursday. NRMP put out numbers last year of how many spots were available before SOAP and how many of those were filled during SOAP and subsequently how many were still available afterwards. I know we can just contact whoever we want at that point and try getting in. Take FM for example, there were 3 spots that were left unfilled after SOAP last year and if you check on FREIDA, there are exactly 3 FM PGY2 positions available for July 2018. Any thoughts on why these programs were left empty?

36. Latina

Medical Student
    Only heard from IM programs :(

37. Praiseiswhatido

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I will assume programs don't have to fill up quota just for the sake of filling up quota particularly if they feel the available candidates "are not what they want" +/ - if they feel 5 /8 residents in a particular year could still handle the workload

38. Praiseiswhatido

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not heard from any EM programs yet. Did you apply to all of them?

39. einstein1990

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I sure did. Between here and Reddit (which has basically been my life for the past 24ish hours,) I have only seen one person who has heard from an EM program. They must be exclusive/have had shoe-ins. UGH

40. texturelikesun

Resident [Any Field]
  41. MudPhud20XX

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Same here, SOAP is def not easy.... I remember turning down one of the TY since it was going to cost me at least 2 grands for just traveling as it was a last min call in early Feb. I should have gone that interview.

42. luvblue

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    can u share the reddit thread here if possible...thanks in advance

43. texturelikesun

Resident [Any Field]
    Damn. Yeah I did a year of prelim surgery at a University because that was all I got. I was hoping that would be enough proven performance for a US-IMG to switch into IM or FM.

44. Latina

Medical Student

luvblue and einstein1990 like this.
  45. nocturnal tumescence

Resident [Any Field]
    In the Fall I was on a deferral with the school doing my fellowship but still received an ERAS token from them because you're allowed to request these. In the spring I was reenrolled starting in January so I was already back as a student when the match happened (though this wouldn't matter as long as I planned on graduating this may). All programs saw and understood on my application was that my medical school was extended by a year and I had a year long research fellowship included on my CV. The faculty had to read through my entire personal statement and application before realizing I hadn't matched because it isn't immediately obvious and it helped in not getting objectively screened out of interviews.

mcl likes this.
  46. SOAPy Smith

Medical Student
    There are only a handful of psych spots available. This year everything has gotten a lot more competitive, including things like psych, path and rays that used to be fairly safe specialties. In your situation it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan, like doing an extra family medicine rotation and getting a LOR or two from it.

47. ThoracicGuy

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Friendly reminder:

It's a violation to post identifying information regarding programs in SOAP.

JOHNPSYCH and It's a Wash like this.
  48. luvblue

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thans a lot

49. DokterMom

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    That could also be a positive that you got a second call. Clearly the program would interview more than one applicant. I'd suspect the most likely scenario is that the second person who called you talked to someone they liked earlier and their input was wanted on you as well for balance.

And for what it's worth, everyone knows how stressful SOAPing is, so a bit of stumbling and nervousness is pretty appropriate under the circumstances.

Best of luck to you --

mcl, Ogliodendrocyte and ThoracicGuy like this.
  50. blessy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    While it is recommended to upload an alternative personal statement for SOAP for back-up specialties, is this necessary for the post-SOAP scramble? Or is it more heavily relied on calling and emailing programs?

51. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how the hell did you not match dude? didn't you have like 250+ step scores? Ur not IMG either as far as I remember?

WTF!