SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No offer given to me this round despite having a great interview yesterday. By the way, programs in the west coast probably submitted their preference list last night. There is no way they would work all night to submit their preference list before 6am their time.

Hopefully that's the case. Maybe they weren't used to the time difference this year.

Today, At 3 pm, I will be part of this!
tumblr_oju5yqIavh1w1yjv2o1_500.gif

Reactions: 5 users
This has been one hell of a roller-coaster. Calls from 4 programs over the past 2 days, 4 offers, just accepted one! Going to run with it and make the most of this blessing.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their support during this trying time; it truly was the #soapocalypse of 2019. If we can get through this week, we can definitely get through anything life throws at us.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey, and pray that you don't give up on yourselves. We've worked too hard to get where we are, and I truly believe things will work out in the end. Best of luck everyone!!

Reactions: 22 users
This has been one hell of a roller-coaster. Calls from 4 programs over the past 2 days, 4 offers, just accepted one! Going to run with it and make the most of this blessing.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their support during this trying time; it truly was the #soapocalypse of 2019. If we can get through this week, we can definitely get through anything life throws at us.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey, and pray that you don't give up on yourselves. We've worked too hard to get where we are, and I truly believe things will work out in the end. Best of luck everyone!!
What specialty were the other offers you declined?

Specialty?

I was promised by the program director yesterday that I’ll get offer and to expect it for sure. I started celebrating yesterday and I don’t see offer. I’m sure the PD didn’t lie to me. I don’t know what’s going on with this whole situation.

Congrats! Did you get an interview?
Yes I got a phone interview Tuesday evening with a doctor at the hospital. Only that initial call and were emailing with them all day Wednesday asking questions and repeatedly reassuring them I would love to join their program. Never talked to the PD once so I was worried I wasn't going to get the offer, but the doc i interviewed with said they talked to the PD and both were very interested in me as a candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I got a phone interview Tuesday evening with a doctor at the hospital. Only that initial call and were emailing with them all day Wednesday asking questions and repeatedly reassuring them I would love to join their program. Never talked to the PD once so I was worried I wasn't going to get the offer, but the doc i interviewed with said they talked to the PD and both were very interested in me as a candidate.
is it possible to share your YOG?

just wanted to ask something: i didn't use all 45 apps. so it would make most sense to wait to see the updated unfilled prog list at 11 am est and send my final apps based on that, rather than send the final apps at 10:13 am now based on the old list, right?

just wanted to ask something: i didn't use all 45 apps. so it would make most sense to wait to see the updated unfilled prog list at 11 am est and send my final apps based on that, rather than send the final apps at 10:13 am now based on the old list, right?
YOU ARE RIGHT!

But with all the rounds in one day will the programs look at any new apps?

Congrats! What specialty?

If someone has gotten an interview, but that program hasn't filled after round 1, then would that applicant get an offer round 2? I just highly doubt that programs will be making calls between round 1 and 2 in order to create a preference list. They probably have way too many applications in front of them.

is it possible to share your YOG?
YOG 2017. Didn't get any interviews last year and nothing in SOAP. Had 1 interview this year and although I was given the impression they would rank me to match, I did not match. Had pretty much given up hope after Monday because I have a failed step 2, but they noticed my PoCUS certification in Canada through CPoCUS which they were very enthusiastic about and definitely set me apart from the pack. My advice is to try and get something on your CV for next year that is unique and appealing to make you stand out from the thousands of other applicants. That was my strategy after not matching last year and it paid off!

Last edited:
If someone has gotten an interview, but that program hasn't filled after round 1, then would that applicant get an offer round 2? I just highly doubt that programs will be making calls between round 1 and 2 in order to create a preference list. They probably have way too many applications in front of them.
I would advise emailing the programs who interviewed you and express your enthusiasm!

Yes. But if I have pending applications now, I feel it's better to apply to the vacant positions after round 1 than wasting it by applying now randomly?
Oh yeah my bad round one is currently going on ... Yeah

YOG 2017. Didn't get any interviews last year and nothing in SOAP. Had 1 interview this year and although I was given the impression they would rank me to match, I did not match. Had pretty much given up hope after Monday because I have a failed step 2, but they noticed my PoCUS certification in Canada through CPoCUS which they were very enthusiastic about and definitely set me apart from the pack. My advice is to try and get something on your CV for next year that is unique and appealing to make you stand out from the thousands of other applicants. That was my strategy after not matching last year and it paid off!
Your profile is really impressive. Thank you for sharing!
PoCUS means point of care ultrasound certification. right?

Last edited:
the guys who want to improve your CV. Because of some MD match to the residency. Now there are empty spots to do Reseach Fellow in several hospitals.
"Unfortunately" this week a received phone calls to be a research fellow in different hospitals. I hang up my CV in different hospital websites.

Im posting some of my info during this process for future lurkers

US MD, low step 1 and 2, 3 attempts for CS (not in time for rank list, but received a pass before match week). In SOAP applied to all but one free path spot, the rest FM. (FM was more than half of my apps)
Path centered application, I rewrote a very short PS for FM.
2 phone interviews at path programs
1 offer at my preference between the 2 during round 1!!!

note: FM completely ignored me. So this is my advice for anyone in the future who think they might not match especially with non clinical based apps. Try and get extra clinical letters and submit them before SOAP week, Spend some time and write another PS. Everyone told me I would match path, before match I was researching the programs I interviewed at and they didnt say anything about not ranking due to CS. Only 2 programs before match asked me about CS. I thought they didnt care and hoped I would match and I didnt.

Listen to your gut!

For those of you who didnt get a spot keep going! I know its so hard right now. I felt like I was losing my mind but Im sure there will be more unfilled post-soap spots then before. Also this process is bull****, nightmarish and needs to change. I dont know why people think this is ok to do to people.

Reactions: 3 users
Just to make sure I didn't screw myself... we didn't need to do anything after interviews, right? No action on our end with regards to the nrmp website, right? Cause I was expecting at least 1 and have nothing.

There was nothing you needed to do. I'm sorry you didn't get any offers, can hope those programs still have spots in round 2.

I was promised by the program director yesterday that I’ll get offer and to expect it for sure. I started celebrating yesterday and I don’t see offer. I’m sure the PD didn’t lie to me. I don’t know what’s going on with this whole situation.

I would contact the program, but most likely they changed their mind (or "lied", your choice of wording). Which is sad, because there is no benefit to programs to do this.

Most likely given the amount of time between rounds, programs will still be interested in people they have already reviewed.

Yes. But if I have pending applications now, I feel it's better to apply to the vacant positions after round 1 than wasting it by applying now randomly?

Might as well wait, but the amount of time between rounds is short, unclear if programs will be looking at new apps. But there's no harm

Reactions: 2 users
Is needaresident a good website for post soap? and is it good for non-us IMG requiring a visa?

the guys who want to improve your CV. Because of some MD match to the residency. Now there are empty spots to do Reseach Fellow in several hospitals.
"Unfortunately" this week a received phone calls to be a research fellow in different hospitals. I hang up my CV in different hospital websites.[/QUOTE
is it possible to share the empty spots for research fellows? Hope that would help some of us at the end!

While this is awful, you might get an offer in round 2 and if you don’t, you should contact that PD immediately after SOAP ends to see if they still have a spot. It might still be your best shot. Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys have any idea how many people participating in SOAP now?

After round 2, we can contact teh programs. So, should I email program co-ordinators my cv or call them?

How is it even possible that prestigious schools still go unfilled??

Is it okay to contact programs you interviewed for and have spots left?

if so, use email or phone?

Ok I just saw the updated list of programs. So they will rather not fill their programs than consider low USMLE scores??

did anyone get the offers without interview?