SOAP 2019 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got my second call from Uganda -- what is going on with all these spam calls? It's like they know we're all anxiously waiting by our phones
Nrmp sold our info.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Yikes, I have failed miserably in this thread. Sorry everyone if I made things worse. I’ll take my leave now.

Just saying it might alleviate depression a bit but you shouldn't expect any upbeat people who are not getting calls.

I appreciate your efforts and it did make me feel a bit better.

I hope folks still get phone interviews tonight and possibly tomorrow. For the ones who received interviews please give any advice as to how to answer these questions. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats!

Thank you! As an update, I was given the chance to talk to one of their residents, but apparently it didn't count toward the interview. It was more for me to ask questions about the program. Since I had read their info on their website and read reviews from other residents about the program, I had plenty of questions to ask. Be prepared to ask questions if it comes to that.

In addition, if you are going to another part of the country, I was asked about my support system and how it might be affected by me moving far away. I explained that my girlfriend and mother were on board with me working toward my goal which is to become a pediatrician no matter where. In all honesty, I did not plan to move away from my current location, but I can see myself succeeding in a program that has a lot of support for their residents and works together as a family.

Also, thank you for the great recommendations from those who had interviews already and posted their stories on this forum. I was able to use that information to have a strong interview. Much appreciated!

PS: I will also be staying up until 12pm ET or so since I applied to programs all over the country.

Reactions: 4 users
2vzfak.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Nothing at all. AMG with PGY1 and PGY2 experience. Left residency due to depression and burn out this past August. Trying to SOAP into FM and applied to 45 programs. A little shocked that I haven't heard anything. Med school dean said they may give offers tomorrow without interviews. Anybody else heard this? Hope is fading fast.

Nothing and its 9PM.

Don't despair. Spots can open up afterwards, people sometimes can't start on time, all sorts of things can happen. Remember - while it *may* feel like the end of the world right now, most people end up where they are supposed to eventually.

Hang in there guys!

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing at all. AMG with PGY1 and PGY2 experience. Left residency due to depression and burn out this past August. Trying to SOAP into FM and applied to 45 programs. A little shocked that I haven't heard anything. Med school dean said they may give offers tomorrow without interviews. Anybody else heard this? Hope is fading fast.

I've heard people say that too yes, what % of offers are without interview, that I cannot say.

I've heard from my advisor that sometimes they just pull two random persons from their stack 5 min before the deadline. Not sure it is true.

Going to have to leave my current research position immediately, if things don't work out this week. Can't expect me to run trials and take it seriously without having the job I intended on at the end of the year.

Should be a fun Friday conversation with my supervisor

If you don't match, I would reconsider quitting your job. What would you do otherwise? Unless you have another backup, keep at it and work to make your application better for next year. Hopefully it won't come to that, though.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't match, I would reconsider quitting your job. What would you do otherwise? Unless you have another backup, keep at it and work to make your application better for next year. Hopefully it won't come to that, though.

The fact that the next 3 months of my work is all trials inside the hospital I have to conduct with my attending supervisor/chief resident/ etc etc all knowing that this was match week is going to make for awkward conversations, in which my already awkward self is not prepared to fake smile through.

Cant go another year without a salary because I'm trying to start adulting already.

Friends...romans..countrymen..lend me your ears...I come to tell you to have a nice drink tonight, not fret... for tomorrow is a new day to stress.

btw no call, no email, no comms- US-IMG all steps done :boom:

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. A little hope is better than nothing.

I think your situation is different. It's hard to leave residency and then want to come back. Best best would be to talk to your program and allow you to come back.

The fact that the next 3 months of my work is all trials inside the hospital I have to conduct with my attending supervisor/chief resident/ etc etc all knowing that this was match week is going to make for awkward conversations, in which my already awkward self is not prepared to fake smile through.

Cant go another year without a salary because I'm trying to start adulting already.

A salary is important, of course. But I wouldn't let this change when you would leave the job. If you get a paper out of it, that can help if you have to apply again. Just something to consider.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve been sitting at home all day, ordering in food, watching bad YouTube videos, not taking my dog to the park for fear of bad cell service outside the home and occasionally wailing.
- that’s it. There’s no punch line. That’s just me this week

Hey guys...just like most of you on here...I did not match, I am US-IMG with below average step scores, no attempts.I applied to both Psych and FM, mostly Psych. I think I did not realize how competitive Psych is. I had four FOUR 4th year electives in psych because I really enjoyed the field. I received only 2 Psych IV (one of them being in the hospital that I did my 2 psych electives, guess they didn't like me enough) and 4 FM IVs. Ultimately did not match. I cried Monday and all day yesterday and I get it, there is no point of crying but I just couldn't help the tears pouring out of my eyes. I woke up this AM and I looked as if I received 10 punches from Mike Tyson.I have decided to start my serious prep for Step 3 and take it before I apply this upcoming September. I am not sure how much that will help me...and try to find a clinical job (scribe) and just apply FM all the way next cycle. It really hurts and I find myself so emotionally drained and seeing the sadness in my parents' eyes makes me feel even worse. I applied to 45 FM spots in SOAP but there is no hope in there...
I'm crushed just like many of you...

show dedication and commitment. don't show them that you're only doing research to help your application. they should help you match next year

Hey guys...just like most of you on here...I did not match, I am US-IMG with below average step scores, no attempts.I applied to both Psych and FM, mostly Psych. I think I did not realize how competitive Psych is. I had four FOUR 4th year electives in psych because I really enjoyed the field. I received only 2 Psych IV (one of them being in the hospital that I did my 2 psych electives, guess they didn't like me enough) and 4 FM IVs. Ultimately did not match. I cried Monday and all day yesterday and I get it, there is no point of crying but I just couldn't help the tears pouring out of my eyes. I woke up this AM and I looked as if I received 10 punches from Mike Tyson.I have decided to start my serious prep for Step 3 and take it before I apply this upcoming September. I am not sure how much that will help me...and try to find a clinical job (scribe) and just apply FM all the way next cycle. It really hurts and I find myself so emotionally drained and seeing the sadness in my parents' eyes makes me feel even worse. I applied to 45 FM spots in SOAP but there is no hope in there...
I feel for you. Same here.

I’ve been sitting at home all day, ordering in food, watching bad YouTube videos, not taking my dog to the park for fear of bad cell service outside the home and occasionally wailing.
My dog suffered too today :(

Hey guys...just like most of you on here...I did not match, I am US-IMG with below average step scores, no attempts.I applied to both Psych and FM, mostly Psych. I think I did not realize how competitive Psych is. I had four FOUR 4th year electives in psych because I really enjoyed the field. I received only 2 Psych IV (one of them being in the hospital that I did my 2 psych electives, guess they didn't like me enough) and 4 FM IVs. Ultimately did not match. I cried Monday and all day yesterday and I get it, there is no point of crying but I just couldn't help the tears pouring out of my eyes. I have decided to start my serious prep for Step 3 and take it before I apply this upcoming September. I am not sure how much that will help me...and try to find a clinical job (scribe) and just apply FM all the way next cycle. It really hurts and I find myself so emotionally drained and seeing the sadness in my parents' eyes makes me feel even worse. I applied to 45 FM spots in SOAP but there is no hope in there...

Its going to get better. I am not going to patronize you. Hang in there and use that passion and dedication to keep pushing.

Hang in there! Again it might seen like the end of the world - but things will very likely get better.

Aww :( Hey it's normal to feel awful. But it happens every year - does not mean it's the end of the road, does not mean you won't get a position. It means that it's a roadblaock right now that's all. Don't lose hope. It's normal and I would say healthy to cry. It's something you should grieve. But try - I know easier said than done - to keep collected if an IV calls. And don't lose hope - spots open up, and people match the following year every year. Hang in there! Your parents I'm sure love you and feel sad for you. It's not something to feel ashamed of. It happens. Grieve, and keep going!

May be a little late, but I did just get a call from a program on the East coast about an hour ago whilst unwinding, so there is still hope.

Guys I think we should use logic and have hope for tomorrow. Because of what happened with the system I dont think they could get through all the apps and give enough interviews at the same time. They also have only 2 rounds to fill their programs. I think there will be alot of offers without interviews compared to the past. Its not over til its over. Then we are going to see more post-soap unfilled programs then in the past.

I have been watching Big Bang Theory (again) since the start of this week and have already finished Season 1,2,3 and on the 4th one currently.

I know how you feel. But remember there are so many people that match on 2nd attempt. You will have wealth of knowledge and experience from this cycle. You know exactly what to expect. You will be sooo much more prepared than others.

I have no doubt...and i mean it....i have no doubt that you will Match and be a resident, if not this year than next.

Cheers!

Reactions: 3 users
This years soap was terrible. I’ve read the previous threads and I feel like way more people this year had almost no communication. I still can’t believe I didn’t get any love from surgical prelims. I applied to over 30 surg prelims and only 1 ty. The ty is the only phone call that I got. Literally top quartile and great boards.

lesson to future students in the match soap is not a viable back up plan. I legit thought soaping categorical would happen if I didn’t match ortho and that’s why I didn’t apply to prelims.

People always threw around “ I’ll just soap into anesthesia if I don’t match ortho”

Don’t believe it! Soaping into even a prelim or TY or anything is not easy!!!

Im telling yall that if there was less communication then last year then how are the programs gonna fill their spots??? If their time is limited then they will have to just give out offers without interviews.

You’re joking right? Why are you saying this to this person? Are you a troll? You must realize he/she is here w us in Soap for a reason not because you didn’t tell them just to go back to their old program.

Don't attack me. I realize it's an emotional and stressful time. It will be challenging for someone who has completed 2 years of residency to SOAP. It's very differnet than applying for the first time - apples and oranges.

I know how you feel. But remember there are so many people that match on 2nd attempt.

Technically this is my second attempt so it doesn't necessarily get better apparently.

I'm not going to rain on other people's parades though, hopefully everyone makes it. For a lack of doctors(esp primary care) numbering in the hundreds of thousands they sure dont do enough to make sure med school grads get jobs.

Guys I think we should use logic and have hope for tomorrow. Because of what happened with the system I dont think they could get through all the apps and give enough interviews at the same time. They also have only 2 rounds to fill their programs. I think there will be alot of offers without interviews compared to the past. Its not over til its over. Then we are going to see more post-soap unfilled programs then in the past.

This seems very plausible. Some of my preceptors were PDs themselves, who have participated in SOAP in recent years. They, like many other programs, took as much time as they could to review applications fully in an effort to recruit applicants with genuine interest, empathy, and experience (as opposed to just a numbers game).

Congratulations to those who received interviews! For those who haven't, a friend of mine last year matched in the 2nd round, with less than average numbers. I hope that might help a few of you get a wink of sleep.

show dedication and commitment. don't show them that you're only doing research to help your application. they should help you match next year

They dont take D.Os historically and are a rather solid research institution and residency program. Doubt they can do anything for me

You parents hurt because you are hurting. I know they are proud of you for all your accomplishments to date. I told my student this year to say “I’m a doctor” every time he got anxious or stressed. No one can take your blessing. Keep your chin up and do the next right thing to prepare for 2019. Ace Step 3 and get an observership. You will be a great doctor.

Last edited:
I can't sleep, and feel almost sick. I'll be playing some Apex Legends on ps4 for the next 3.5 hours if anyone wants to join, feel free to PM me.

I can't sleep, and feel almost sick. I'll be playing some Apex Legends on ps4 for the next 3.5 hours if anyone wants to join, feel free to PM me.
2 more hours

Less than an hour until we figure out if they actually do give offers w/o interviews.....

Good luck.