SOS: LOR writer won't respond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotalMHCmismatch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation:

I submitted AMCAS already, with 1 non-science and 1 science letter already in (+ research, + clinical volunteering, + leadership letters).

HOWEVER, my other science letter writer has not responded to me in the past month, since I gave him the link to the AMCAS letter service. He confirmed that he was "happy to write a letter of recommendation" for me back in March. But, he is M.I.A. currently.

I have sent him two follow-up emails, and tried going to his office (which is in a section of the medical school which is locked, with no access unless you are "authorized personnel"), only to be met by one of the secretaries for his department. I brought a small gift and a thank-you note, in the effort of speaking with him and saying that "I wanted to drop this off before I leave the area for my gap-year job," and also in part to guilt trip him into submitting the letter. I left this with the secretary, who said she had not seen the professor in a few weeks.

Idk what to do, since many of the schools I am applying to require to science LOR's...

And I'm honestly quite frustrated, because I have worked very hard to have all my things in order for my application this year... I have a 520+ MCAT, 4.0 GPA, and extensive leadership, glowing letters, clinical experience and research, and I'm under the impression that none of that will matter to most schools if this professor does not submit the letter. It's not a fun place to be in.

And no, I do not have any back-up letters. I was a non-science major and the science faculty were very difficult to get to know as a non-science student at my university (huge classes, and widespread hesitance on the part of professors in being available to students, since there are so many premeds here).

Any advice would be much appreciated! (Will also just accept thoughts and prayers lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Crap that sucks, I'm sorry to hear. Maybe your research letter can count as a science? The adcoms on here probably can answer that better.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Non-science??

Like I said, no other science...
I mean, I guess even a generic letter from a professor who doesn't know you that well would be better than no letter. Just email all your most recent science professors asking for a letter, im sure at least one will be willing. If any extras agree, then you don't even have to assign those letters to any school.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile