Southwest Airlines -- rescheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mark-ER

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I booked a ticket on SW a while back and now my plans have changed and I have to fly back a day earlier. My ticket was the cheapest web-fare directly from their website. Is there ANY WAY to get even a small portion of the cost deducted or transferred over to another flight? Who should I deal with, their customer service 1800 number or somewhere else? Any other brilliant ideas/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you are a customer requiring them to perform a service for you. They should really have some sort of "Customer Service" division you could call - oh well, I'm sure someone on SDN will be able to change the reservation for you.

So I booked a ticket on SW a while back and now my plans have changed and I have to fly back a day earlier. My ticket was the cheapest web-fare directly from their website. Is there ANY WAY to get even a small portion of the cost deducted or transferred over to another flight? Who should I deal with, their customer service 1800 number or somewhere else? Any other brilliant ideas/suggestions?

Southwest the the way to go when you aren't certain about your schedule. You can transfer 100% of your original price towards a new ticket. Problem is you have to purchase that new ticket at its current rate. Look online as if you were going to buy the ticket you would need so you know what to expect. If it's still the same price then the change should be free. If the lowest fare options are sold out or not available, you'd have to pay to make up the differerence. Call the 1800 number to make all the switches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southwest is actually ridiculously easy to change tickets with. There are no change fees - you just have to pay the difference in price (if there is one... I've changed to cheaper flights before and gotten credit).

You should have received a confirmation number - something like KZ5DQB. Go here http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/changeItinerary.html?ref=vwchgflt_hp_wl_tt to change your flight. If that link doesn't work, just go to www.southwest.com and click "View or Change Your Flight". Super simple.

Southwest is actually ridiculously easy to change tickets with. There are no change fees - you just have to pay the difference in price (if there is one... I've changed to cheaper flights before and gotten credit).

You should have received a confirmation number - something like KZ5DQB. Go here http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/changeItinerary.html?ref=vwchgflt_hp_wl_tt to change your flight. If that link doesn't work, just go to www.southwest.com and click "View or Change Your Flight". Super simple.
i don't have personal experience with southwest, but most airlines work this way. never call customer service or whatever. you can find out the same info faster online.

i've changed online with delta and american.

In my experience, there is a much lower chance of screwing something up if you call customer service. I've swapped flights online in the past and gotten to the gate to find out they were overbooked. The customer service people are pretty good about giving you commentary about what you should and shouldn't do - if time is not that tight I would go through the trouble of calling.

In my experience, there is a much lower chance of screwing something up if you call customer service. I've swapped flights online in the past and gotten to the gate to find out they were overbooked. The customer service people are pretty good about giving you commentary about what you should and shouldn't do - if time is not that tight I would go through the trouble of calling.

that can happen with customer service too though and i've gotten dumb folks that charged me more than necessary for switches,etc.

i guess you never know with airlines. :rolleyes:

In my experience, this is incorrect. The phone people are just as likely to screw you.

I've never had an issue with booking online or changing flight itinerary online with Southwest. As soon as you select your new flight and pay any additional costs, you'll get an email confirming it - your confirmation number should stay the same. There is no need to talk to a customer service agent. I've done this a lot - I used to fly once or twice a month, always Southwest.

I had the same problem on a Southwest flight that I was supposed to take. I called the 800 number. You can also use the web, try that first.