2023-2024 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UTSW Secondary Essay Prompts: (same as last year with slight wording change in #2)
Questions 1, 2, and 3 are required, 4 & 5 optional.

1. Describe a group project or activity that you are most proud of. Consider the following in your response: What aspect makes you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective? (2500 characters)

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. What did you do? Describe your reaction, is there anything you might do differently now in retrospect. (2500 characters)

3. Describe an interaction or experience that has made you more sensitive or appreciative of cultural differences, and/or how you have committed yourself to understanding and aiding in the pursuit of equity and inclusion in your academic, professional or personal life. (2500 characters)

4. (Optional) Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of one year or greater in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. (2500 characters)

5. (Optional) Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello All!

I’ll be starting at UTSW this fall and would be happy to answer any questions as I get into things.

Feel free to dm me if you have questions about the application process/interviews! I don’t know too much about life at the school right now but I’m sure I’ll have a lot more information post August.

Good Luck Y’all!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else having issue with the secondary link they sent in the email? It takes me to a login page that requires a username and password but doesn't let me set up a password in order to access the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having issue with the secondary link they sent in the email? It takes me to a login page that requires a username and password but doesn't let me set up a password in order to access the application.
If you were able to access the secondary prompts, can you please post them here?

Look at last years prompts, I saw this optional question: (Optional) Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (2,500 characters max)

Is this something that most people answer? I could talk about something, but I dont think it's neccessary? I talk about it when I have questions about "challenges" but is this the right place to write about it or is this mostly academic concerns.

Look at last years prompts, I saw this optional question: (Optional) Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (2,500 characters max)

Is this something that most people answer? I could talk about something, but I dont think it's neccessary? I talk about it when I have questions about "challenges" but is this the right place to write about it or is this mostly academic concerns.
I think most people do not answer it. It might be used for a bad semester with some health or personal issues that interfered with your normal performance, leave of absence, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
If you were able to access the secondary prompts, can you please post them here?
I still haven't been able to sadly. I plan on calling them tomorrow since today is a holiday.

Just got the secondary this morning. If you use your TMDSAS ID as your username and choose the forgotten password option, it lets you set a new password.

Here are the essays:

1. Describe a group project or activity that you are most proud of. Consider the following in your response: What aspect makes you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective?

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. What did you do? Describe your reaction, is there anything you might do differently now in retrospect.

3. Describe an interaction or experience that has made you more sensitive or appreciative of cultural differences, and/or how you have committed yourself to understanding and aiding in the pursuit of equity and inclusion in your academic, professional or personal life.

4. Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of one year or greater in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. (Optional)

5. Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know. (Optional)

All essays have a limit of 2500 characters w/ spaces.

@wysdoc

How long does it usually take to get a secondary after primaries are transmitted?

I also have the same question as RegattaDeBlanc. My primary was processed and sent to UTSW on 5/23 and I still haven't received a secondary.

UTSW is the cool, the aloof, the playing hard to get school.
But it has only been 2 weeks guys, settle in for the long haul and pre-write the essays that someone shared with you today.
Fire them off to UTSW as soon as they invite you :)

For question 3, would I be able to write about equity for physically disabled individuals? Or should it be only regarding cultural differences and inclusion?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no reason to wait for an actual secondary in order to start writing your essays since the topics are already available. Most of them trigger secondaries once a week or so assuming the secondary is automatic. It is still end of May so just being ready to submit when it comes your way over the next month is not a major issue.

Do check your spam regularly. In gmail, click the all mail button to see if you missed anything.

I also have the same question as RegattaDeBlanc. My primary was processed and sent to UTSW on 5/23 and I still haven't received a secondary.
I have not received a secondary and my app was sent the 18th. they just taking their time its cool

Same, i'm an OOS applicant that submitted on the 19th, dead silence from all tx schools.

When can we expect interview invites to be sent out?
UTSW usually starts inviting late July/early August and they finish up their interview invitations earlier than the other TMDSAS schools, in November.
The first couple of dates are usually for high stat people, both IS and OOS.

UTSW usually starts inviting late July/early August and they finish up their interview invitations earlier than the other TMDSAS schools, in November.
The first couple of dates are usually for high stat people, both IS and OOS.
They also do JAMP usually on the first day.

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this but on the portal they ask "Have you ever been affiliated with or employed at UTSW." I did research at a lab affiliated with the Callier Center in Dallas but I'm not sure if that counts.

Since UTSW is very prematch heavy when do they usually stop giving pre matches ? Also does anyone know if most URM people admitted to UTSW are in jamp ? I read a post on Reddit that states that most URM applicant that get into Texas med schools are in jamp. It could be totally wrong I’m just being paranoid.

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this but on the portal they ask "Have you ever been affiliated with or employed at UTSW." I did research at a lab affiliated with the Callier Center in Dallas but I'm not sure if that counts.
Usually it means whether you were paid employee or a student.

Callier center shows up under UT Dallas and not UTSW?

Usually it means whether you were paid employee or a student.

Callier center shows up under UT Dallas and not UTSW?
That's what I was thinking as well! Also there are 2 callier centers :)

Since UTSW is very prematch heavy when do they usually stop giving pre matches ? Also does anyone know if most URM people admitted to UTSW are in jamp ? I read a post on Reddit that states that most URM applicant that get into Texas med schools are in jamp. It could be totally wrong I’m just being paranoid.
Every school in Texas can issue prematches until right before match day deadline so people can choose their school for ranking for a match.

Not sure prematch question is relevant this early when no school has called anyone for interviews.

For question 5, I struggled my 1.5 years of undergrad but had a significant upward trend and did very well throughout other semesters. Would this be worth mentioning or raise a red flag? Or do adcoms already look to see if there is a GPA trend?

For question 5, I struggled my 1.5 years of undergrad but had a significant upward trend and did very well throughout other semesters. Would this be worth mentioning or raise a red flag? Or do adcoms already look to see if there is a GPA trend?
It all depends. If you went from 3.0 in a semester to 4.0 next and continued on you should explain why 3.0 and what you changed to get to 4.0. If it is 3.6 and 3.8 can't say if it makes a big difference to explain.

2023-2024 UTSW Secondary Essay Prompts: (same as last year with slight wording change in #2)
Questions 1, 2, and 3 are required, 4 & 5 optional.

1. Describe a group project or activity that you are most proud of. Consider the following in your response: What aspect makes you most proud? How was it accomplished? How did you deal with disagreement or conflict in the group? How did you get fellow group members to embrace a position or view your perspective? (2500 characters)

2. Describe a time that you have witnessed someone acting unethically or dishonestly, or an experienced behavior of harassment or discrimination. What did you do? Describe your reaction, is there anything you might do differently now in retrospect. (2500 characters)

3. Describe an interaction or experience that has made you more sensitive or appreciative of cultural differences, and/or how you have committed yourself to understanding and aiding in the pursuit of equity and inclusion in your academic, professional or personal life. (2500 characters)

4. (Optional) Have you engaged in any public service activities for a duration of one year or greater in length (examples: Military, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.). Yes or No? If so, please describe the experience and impact on your personal and professional development. (2500 characters)

5. (Optional) Please explain any academic discrepancies or extenuating circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should know.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Medical School Interview Feedback
For the second prompt, does it necessarily have to be something we directly witnessed (such as a friend cheating on an exam) or can it be indirect (such as a friend/relative confiding that they were harassed or discriminated against)?

Thank you for posting this. Does this question cover local volunteer activities at health clinics etc, or is reserved only for large national organizations used as an example?

Thank you for posting this. Does this question cover local volunteer activities at health clinics etc, or is reserved only for large national organizations used as an example?
It's only those major ones like Teach for America, Americorps, Peace Corps, etc. where you leave home for the whole year

Makes sense. Thank you much!
Those also usually come with a certain amount of scholarship for colleges since they only provide minimum income like 2k per month.

NVM those that didnt know how to get the prompts you have to make sure to save the program type you applying so the new tab is added with the prompts.

Does UTSW give II without LORs? I recall seeing someone in a previous year's thread saying they got an II without all of their LORs submitted.
Used to be a Group 1 and Group 2 concept where people didnt review the entire app and called people early based on stats alone. They have revised this policy since 2020 where even group 1 app is fully read which probably will include recs now.

High stat students are still interviewed early but NOT ALL seem to be automatically called anymore.

Would it be a bad idea to write all 3 essays about experiences from the same job (clinical research)? I finished writing my essays and just realized they're all about my current job lol

Would it be a bad idea to write all 3 essays about experiences from the same job (clinical research)? I finished writing my essays and just realized they're all about my current job lol
You are listing several experiences in your app. The essays are a way to discuss some of those in more detail unless you have had this clinical research job for several years.

When they say your application status will not be updated until your secondary is submitted does that mean everything will show not received? I know my LOR and MCAT and CASPer have gone through to other schools but they're showing as not received on the secondary portal and I wasn't sure if that's what that was referring to or if I need to email to make sure they have my documents, since two other schools originally didn't have CASPer for me and I had to email. I was also wondering what CAS requirements means, because I've not seen that one before. Thanks in advance for advice with this!!

When they say your application status will not be updated until your secondary is submitted does that mean everything will show not received? I know my LOR and MCAT and CASPer have gone through to other schools but they're showing as not received on the secondary portal and I wasn't sure if that's what that was referring to or if I need to email to make sure they have my documents, since two other schools originally didn't have CASPer for me and I had to email. I was also wondering what CAS requirements means, because I've not seen that one before. Thanks in advance for advice with this!!
CAS is a mystery for more than a decade! Its always been assumed someone makes a manual check and flags it as complete.

Unless you have submitted your secondary you shouldn't bother asking questions since the instructions are clear that they wont update your portal until the secondary is received.

• Love
For the third question I'm struggling a bit. I was thinking about either writing about my experience in a mentorship program with someone who is extremely culturally different than I am, or my experience taking some unique liberal arts classes that I feel like really made an impact on me academically and personally and the thesis I'm writing about healthcare accessibility (that I already talked about for one of the 2500 character TMDSAS essays). Because the question says and/or, I'm not sure if it's better to write about either the interaction I had that's more personal or build on the previous essay that provides a little bit better of a starting place for me to talk about how I want to pursue equity and inclusion in med school. I think writing about my academic experiences would be more interesting for me personally, but I'm worried it'll come off less sincere than talking about a personal relationship. Any advice is appreciated on how to approach this question. Thank you so much!! :)

For the third question I'm struggling a bit. I was thinking about either writing about my experience in a mentorship program with someone who is extremely culturally different than I am, or my experience taking some unique liberal arts classes that I feel like really made an impact on me academically and personally and the thesis I'm writing about healthcare accessibility (that I already talked about for one of the 2500 character TMDSAS essays). Because the question says and/or, I'm not sure if it's better to write about either the interaction I had that's more personal or build on the previous essay that provides a little bit better of a starting place for me to talk about how I want to pursue equity and inclusion in med school. I think writing about my academic experiences would be more interesting for me personally, but I'm worried it'll come off less sincere than talking about a personal relationship. Any advice is appreciated on how to approach this question. Thank you so much!! :)
I think it is always better to introduce new angles on your life and experience. If you think you can meaningfully expand on what you wrote for the TMDSAS essay then go for it, but if you think you can come up with a compelling essay for the mentorship experience then that might be better. I'm no adcom though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

How do we define "public service activity"? Sounds more fancy than just regular volunteering.

How do we define "public service activity"? Sounds more fancy than just regular volunteering.
It’s like a larger commitment. The way I’d attribute it is - instead of going out and getting a regular job you’d make a commitment to americorps or teach for America in lieu of a normal salaried job.

You’re basically a full time volunteer

This is not correct, and JAMP is a premed support program for economically disadvantaged Texans with no minority group preference.

Reactions: 2 users
This is not correct, and JAMP is a premed support program for economically disadvantaged Texans with no minority group preference.
@TxMed55 If you read 2022-2023 thread, you will see lots of URMs getting interviews and admissions throughout. JAMP interviews are predetermined and all their admissions as well as match are completed on Oct 15th.

UTSW is the only one that is showing as Casper not received. Acuity is shown sent, as UTSW is on the list. I'm probably just being impatient with this, though. McGovern was showing not received this morning, but is showed received tonight.

What time is considered early for application completion at UTSW? They are one of my top choices but I am waiting for a letter of recommendation to be processed by TMDSAS.
UTSW follows an interview process where they try to interview all high stat applicants first. So your completion date may not have much effect.

What time is considered early for application completion at UTSW? They are one of my top choices but I am waiting for a letter of recommendation to be processed by TMDSAS.
to put it into perspective, I was complete late July (due to rec letter delays) and was invited to the first round of interviews. LM was 76 so I believe it was an auto invite.

There were a few people last year who were high stat and didn’t get autod into that first round, but I think they were in the minority

to put it into perspective, I was complete late July (due to rec letter delays) and was invited to the first round of interviews. LM was 76 so I believe it was an auto invite.

There were a few people last year who were high stat and didn’t get autod into that first round, but I think they were in the minority
There is still a review of your activities for high stat auto invites. However, the initial invites only go to high stats irrespective of how late the app might be before the start of the interviews. If someone had 80 and applied end of July and were reviewed quickly, they may still get an interview in August.

A corollary to that - if you are at LM 72 or whatever qualifies as not meeting group 1 requirements, you may need to wait for a II until group I has been called. Some exceptions in last round were people who might be qualified as first gen and/or low income who would have qualified under JAMP who were called early.

Last edited: