This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeuroAF

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN!

I am a college senior planning on taking a gap year (or two) before entering medical school. I had been hoping to spend my gap year (or first year gap year) gaining clinical experience by working as a scribe, however I recently met with a pre-health advisor who told me the only I would have a chance at acceptance anywhere (MD) would be if I did a special masters program. Now, I'd be much more accepting of that advice if I didn't have to pay for an SMP, but unfortunately my financial situation is something I have to take into account. I would much rather spend my gap year working somewhere interesting than taking classes for the sole purpose of boosting my chances at acceptance, but I also want to do what I have to in order to get accepted!

I listed more info about me below. Are my stats comparable to other students who do SMPs? I'd appreciate any input! :happy:

Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Clinical Psychology
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.29
MCAT: 510 (taken 8/5/16)
Hometown in TX

Neither of my GPAs are where I would like them to be right now, however I know that they should both be higher by the end of my senior year ( I could probably bring them up to at least cGPA: 3.57 and sGPA: 3.38, that's assuming I get B+'s in my science courses but of course I'll be working my butt off to getting A's ) .

Research experience for over 1 year: working with CRISPR-Cas9, very invested in lab and personal project, presented one poster, trained other undergrads, ~15 hours per week during school year and full time for one summer

Technical assistant in Department of Microbiology and Immunology at hospital for 6 months

Intern for Research Foundation Executive Director for one summer

Volunteer for two summers at hospital in PACU, Med-Surg. Unit

Extensive leadership experience: President of Rotaract club (community service group- so I've also done a TON of volunteering in community), also Founder/President of a new community service group that volunteers at clinics around city and does a special project providing medical resources to homeless

Shadowing: handful of hours (bad, I know)
 
Hello SDN!

I am a college senior planning on taking a gap year (or two) before entering medical school. I had been hoping to spend my gap year (or first year gap year) gaining clinical experience by working as a scribe, however I recently met with a pre-health advisor who told me the only I would have a chance at acceptance anywhere (MD) would be if I did a special masters program. Now, I'd be much more accepting of that advice if I didn't have to pay for an SMP, but unfortunately my financial situation is something I have to take into account. I would much rather spend my gap year working somewhere interesting than taking classes for the sole purpose of boosting my chances at acceptance, but I also want to do what I have to in order to get accepted!

I listed more info about me below. Are my stats comparable to other students who do SMPs? I'd appreciate any input! :happy:

Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Clinical Psychology
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.29
MCAT: 510 (taken 8/5/16)
Hometown in TX

Neither of my GPAs are where I would like them to be right now, however I know that they should both be higher by the end of my senior year ( I could probably bring them up to at least cGPA: 3.57 and sGPA: 3.38, that's assuming I get B+'s in my science courses but of course I'll be working my butt off to getting A's ) .

Research experience for over 1 year: working with CRISPR-Cas9, very invested in lab and personal project, presented one poster, trained other undergrads, ~15 hours per week during school year and full time for one summer

Technical assistant in Department of Microbiology and Immunology at hospital for 6 months

Intern for Research Foundation Executive Director for one summer

Volunteer for two summers at hospital in PACU, Med-Surg. Unit

Extensive leadership experience: President of Rotaract club (community service group- so I've also done a TON of volunteering in community), also Founder/President of a new community service group that volunteers at clinics around city and does a special project providing medical resources to homeless

Shadowing: handful of hours (bad, I know)

Yes, with your cGPA and sGPA and your solid MCAT (assuming balanced), with the fact that you're also a TX resident, doing a SMP or post-bacc would be a good option for you, if you are gunning for MD. You are fine for DO schools right now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad