Special Masters Program Wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroAF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I am a college senior planning on taking a gap year (or two) before entering medical school. I had been hoping to spend my gap year (or first year gap year) gaining clinical experience by working as a scribe, however I recently met with a pre-health advisor who told me the only I would have a chance at acceptance anywhere (MD) would be if I did a special masters program. Now, I'd be much more accepting of that advice if I didn't have to pay for an SMP, but unfortunately my financial situation is something I have to take into account. I would much rather spend my gap year working somewhere interesting than taking classes for the sole purpose of boosting my chances at acceptance, but I also want to do what I have to in order to get accepted!

I listed more info about me below. Are my stats comparable to other students who do SMPs? I'd appreciate any input! :happy:

Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Clinical Psychology
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.29
MCAT: 510 (taken 8/5/16)
Hometown in TX

Neither of my GPAs are where I would like them to be right now, however I know that they should both be higher by the end of my senior year ( I could probably bring them up to at least cGPA: 3.57 and sGPA: 3.38, that's assuming I get B+'s in my science courses but of course I'll be working my butt off to getting A's ) .

Research experience for over 1 year: working with CRISPR-Cas9, very invested in lab and personal project, presented one poster, trained other undergrads, ~15 hours per week during school year and full time for one summer

Technical assistant in Department of Microbiology and Immunology at hospital for 6 months

Intern for Research Foundation Executive Director for one summer

Volunteer for two summers at hospital in PACU, Med-Surg. Unit

Extensive leadership experience: President of Rotaract club (community service group- so I've also done a TON of volunteering in community), also Founder/President of a new community service group that volunteers at clinics around city and does a special project providing medical resources to homeless

Shadowing: handful of hours (bad, I know)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN!

I am a college senior planning on taking a gap year (or two) before entering medical school. I had been hoping to spend my gap year (or first year gap year) gaining clinical experience by working as a scribe, however I recently met with a pre-health advisor who told me the only I would have a chance at acceptance anywhere (MD) would be if I did a special masters program. Now, I'd be much more accepting of that advice if I didn't have to pay for an SMP, but unfortunately my financial situation is something I have to take into account. I would much rather spend my gap year working somewhere interesting than taking classes for the sole purpose of boosting my chances at acceptance, but I also want to do what I have to in order to get accepted!

I listed more info about me below. Are my stats comparable to other students who do SMPs? I'd appreciate any input! :happy:

Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Clinical Psychology
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.29
MCAT: 510 (taken 8/5/16)
Hometown in TX

Neither of my GPAs are where I would like them to be right now, however I know that they should both be higher by the end of my senior year ( I could probably bring them up to at least cGPA: 3.57 and sGPA: 3.38, that's assuming I get B+'s in my science courses but of course I'll be working my butt off to getting A's ) .

Research experience for over 1 year: working with CRISPR-Cas9, very invested in lab and personal project, presented one poster, trained other undergrads, ~15 hours per week during school year and full time for one summer

Technical assistant in Department of Microbiology and Immunology at hospital for 6 months

Intern for Research Foundation Executive Director for one summer

Volunteer for two summers at hospital in PACU, Med-Surg. Unit

Extensive leadership experience: President of Rotaract club (community service group- so I've also done a TON of volunteering in community), also Founder/President of a new community service group that volunteers at clinics around city and does a special project providing medical resources to homeless

Shadowing: handful of hours (bad, I know)

Yes, with your cGPA and sGPA and your solid MCAT (assuming balanced), with the fact that you're also a TX resident, doing a SMP or post-bacc would be a good option for you, if you are gunning for MD. You are fine for DO schools right now.

Members don't see this ad :)