Specialities where 30-40 hours is possible, happy with 80-120K per year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey MOTHER TERESA, is it UNFATHOMABLE to you that OP can MAKE MORE and WORK LESS and has a board score to frickin' do so (or so he claims to)?

Common sense (it's okay sweetheart... I know many med students like yourself don't know what this is or lack this... not your fault.. it's ok) will tell you that making $350,000 for 40 hours a week is WAY BETTER than $350K for 72 hours a week.

I don't care WHO you are.

OP has the chance to enter specialties that afford the former rather than the latter. He'd be an idiot not to pursue those chances!

It's people with YOUR type of mentality that are screwing over medicine and are the reason why it is SO EASY to get screwed over by employers who low ball you for your services.

If a hospital is giving you $250,000.... how much do you think that THEY make off of YOU?

Why the hell are WE giving up 10+ years of our lives and going neck deep into debt when some fratboy d-bag in a suit with a masters degree can make 6 figures and sign our checks at the end of the day without the time, money, and legal investment WE have made?

Idk when millenials (I AM ONE for godsake) will get it through their heads that ALTRUISM DOES NOT PAY. IT IS NOT PROFITABLE. IT IS RIPE FOR EXPLOITATION and that is why doctors are being shafted every which way possible.

You will have bills one day.

I've never heard about anybody complain that they made TOO MUCH money.... only that they didn't make enough.

Go do street medicine or move to Canada or Australia if you don't care about the $$$ and want the time to dilly dally around and are "fine" with a nurse's salary.

Medicine is a BUSINESS.

Ridiculous.
Because some of us would rather scratch our faces off than do Derm?

Seriously, chill it with the condescension. I know, I know, it's exciting that you're in med school now, but it doesn't make you God's gift to anyone. Nobody here was talking about altruism or screwing over medicine. OP has their priorities and wants to find a specialty that fits those. There are some things that matter more than salary, and 99% of them are driven by self-interest of one kind of another. We'll all have bills one day, but we also all have different ideas of what makes life good. If it was just about hours worked:salary ratio, we wouldn't be in medicine, period. We'd all be off begging the 'fratboy d-bag' to teach us his ways. Hell, if you actually lived by what you're preaching, you'd go throw on a suit, get that masters degree, and learn to shotgun a beer or five.

Members don't see this ad.

Be a nurse practitioner.

Or even a floor nurse at a magnet hospital, they clear 6 figures with 12 hour x 3 a week. It's a great gig.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't understand the confusion. OP is competitive enough for Derm. OP is interested in Derm. OP wants Derm hours.

OP, pursue Derm.

Yeah I’m confused by all the bickering when OP literally said they were competitive for, and interested in, derm.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand the confusion. OP is competitive enough for Derm. OP is interested in Derm. OP wants Derm hours.

OP, pursue Derm.
I'm confused by the question itself, honestly.

Psych isn't strictly part time but the hours are really chill.

You can absolutely do this in psych, even at academic centers. At my own program, a few of my colleagues are staying on at 20 hours a week with benefits (benefits kick in when you work 20 hours) and will be making a salary in the higher range of what the OP wants. Several of the job offers I'm seeing are for piece-meal contracts where you can essentially sign on for anywhere from 20-50 hours.

Also, one thing no one's mentioned (that I saw?) is college health. You can work on-campus and during the summer and school breaks, your hours are considerably reduced (if you work at all).

Nope, ACGME requirements only state that at least 4 months of intern year must include "comprehensive clinical care" aka IM and neuro, and they only require a total of 2 months worth of neuro throughout the entire residency. Most programs I interviewed at had 2 months of neuro and 2-3 months of IM during intern year and 6+ months of psych (usually 8: 6 inpt psych, 1 Emergency psych, 1 C&L). Maybe the norm is more IM rotations, but nowhere I interviewed had more than 5 months of non-psych rotations during intern year (which was uniformly the most non-psych rotations of any year of residency).

You didn't interview at my program then. We do 5 months medicine, 2 months neuro, 1 month EM before coming back to psych.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure why so many in here are claiming surgeons can't work part time. I am currently doing it. Sure you still have to put in your time during residency and you have to look for the right situation for it to work, but it can be done. For me it is more about how things average out as I like to be able to be gone for days to weeks at a time so some weeks are rougher when I squeeze all my call in to part of the month, but there are other options out there if you want more consistency. It is funny because I had that same 80k goal salary in mind when I was deciding what kind of job to look for (I picked my specialty because I couldn't see myself doing anything no surgical rather than because of work hours or salary though which helps during those busy weeks because I am enjoying what I do) after residency, but I make a ton more than that which is cool because it puts me that much closer to financial independence. I would bet that there are ways to have a nice work schedule in any specialty after training so just pick what you like to do.
I would like to hear more about your practice setup. I'm guessing you completed an ACS fellowship in order to create this niche? My biggest question regarding a practice like this is how you handle clinic patients. Do you even have much follow up considering most of your patients are probably appy and chole patients from the ER?

This would be my ideal career path and it is catching on like fire in the area I want to live when I am done with training, but it still seems risky to do general surgery planning to do this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's understandable that most surgeons have a huge problem with people asking questions like this because it goes against the nature of the profession and just sounds like whining about lifestyle.

God damn you're easily triggered. I didn't say anything about altruism, working for free or any of the nonsense you're talking about, nor did the op. Read better, though that might get in the way of making mediocre rants.

Most of the competitive specialties have long, hard residencies; ex urology. Derm is the exception, but if op hates derm we circle back to my point. And no, to maximize money at low hours the op shouldn't look for the highest paid specialties, they should look for the highest paid per hour

Even derm is a rough residency according to the people I've talked to. It's not as crazy in terms of hours on shift, but they've all said you have to do a TON of reading and independent learning for derm and it's far more than most other fields. Bottom line is if you want the big bucks you've gotta pay your dues at some point.

Even derm is a rough residency according to the people I've talked to. It's not as crazy in terms of hours on shift, but they've all said you have to do a TON of reading and independent learning for derm and it's far more than most other fields. Bottom line is if you want the big bucks you've gotta pay your dues at some point.
People in Derm presumably worked very hard in preclinicals at home studying all day. Derm residency couldn't be harder than that for these same students considering they still get to sit at home on the couch reading versus sitting in the hospital doing bs all night instead like other residents. Hell, it's probably better than derm-aspiring students studying for step one because at least the information is pertinent to their specialty this time around.

Agreed. I have a family member in derm residency and says it’s a TON of reading and a ton of things to know that’s one of the reasons why have no wknds. She says that derm is a traditionally academic specialty so they have a lot to memorize/know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People in Derm presumably worked very hard in preclinicals at home studying all day. Derm residency couldn't be harder than that for these same students considering they still get to sit at home on the couch reading versus sitting in the hospital doing bs all night instead like other residents. Hell, it's probably better than derm-aspiring students studying for step one because at least the information is pertinent to their specialty this time around.

While having to go home and read is not the same as having to stay at the hospital and see patients or perform surgery, it doesn't mean it's more free time. My point was that the whole "derm is an easier residency because you're not at work as much" is misleading, because they put in so much extra work when they go home.

Reactions: 2 users
While having to go home and read is not the same as having to stay at the hospital and see patients or perform surgery, it doesn't mean it's more free time. My point was that the whole "derm is an easier residency because you're not at work as much" is misleading, because they put in so much extra work when they go home.
I did not say that... but ok. My point was that it is all relative. The guy who went super hard in school to do derm and is asked to do similar work in residency will have an easier time adapting and might even prefer the similarities. No one said that sitting on the couch reading for hours isn't still work. Compare that to someone who worked sort of hard in school and then became a general surgeon who will be destroyed and humbled in a different way.

No one is saying derm residency isn't hard (they are all residencies after all), but I think it would be hard to argue that it is the same shock that say surgical training is.

I would like to hear more about your practice setup. I'm guessing you completed an ACS fellowship in order to create this niche? My biggest question regarding a practice like this is how you handle clinic patients. Do you even have much follow up considering most of your patients are probably appy and chole patients from the ER?

This would be my ideal career path and it is catching on like fire in the area I want to live when I am done with training, but it still seems risky to do general surgery planning to do this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's understandable that most surgeons have a huge problem with people asking questions like this because it goes against the nature of the profession and just sounds like whining about lifestyle.
No fellowship, as I trained in a residency where I got plenty of trauma and emergency surgery experience and had early operative experience so my chief year wasn't spent learning how to do the basics but instead was a balance between teaching junior residents to do appys and choles and doing bigger cases with the attendings not necessarily scrubbed. I stayed on at my training institution for a year as attending which let me get those first year attending jitters out in an environment I knew and with staff backup that was easy to get. Then I was approached by a prior attending who was out in private practice because he didn't want to take call anymore. It is a kinda unique set up in that there is a surgeon who is very business oriented who offered all the overhead I need (billing, office space and supplies, office staff and an office manager to take care of all the credentialing and admin ****) in return for a percentage of my income or a set salary. I had enough money to make it through the initial lag time between working and actually getting reimbursed by insurance so I chose the eat what I kill option (with paid call) which has been very lucrative and is very flexible in that if I were to not work one month I would owe zero overhead for that month which is pretty cool.

I see patients one half day a week (though lately I have had more new patients so I added a half day here and there as needed so no one has to wait long to be seen) which is mostly postops and quick. The guy that got me this job covers clinic for me when I go away and I return the favor for his trips (plus cover any patient left in house from his Tuesday OR day since he leaves town most every weekend, his schedule is pretty awesome too-no call, two half day clinics, two half days at the surgery center, one day in the hospital OR for bigger cases that I assist him on and we almost always finish by noon and the rest of the time is spent at his condo in Mammoth or the one in Oxnard). The other folks on the call schedule is who I have cover in patients left over when I am going to head out of town.

There are other set ups where you cycle between call, clinic, and off hours and pass people off to your colleagues (surgical hospitalist) which sounded interesting and I probably would have gone for that sort of thing if the alternative was doing the overhead stuff myself. I know I am the kind of person who would agonize over finding the cheapest gauze and whatever else and it would kill me to pay rent and salaries while I am not working.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not say that... but ok. My point was that it is all relative. The guy who went super hard in school to do derm and is asked to do similar work in residency will have an easier time adapting and might even prefer the similarities. No one said that sitting on the couch reading for hours isn't still work. Compare that to someone who worked sort of hard in school and then became a general surgeon who will be destroyed and humbled in a different way.

No one is saying derm residency isn't hard (they are all residencies after all), but I think it would be hard to argue that it is the same shock that say surgical training is.

Guess I wasn't clear enough. It may be easier to adapt to, but it's still hard work. Even the few people I met who were passionate about derm said they hated going home after work (in residency) and spending another 3-4 hours reading every night. That's especially true for the people who enter derm with lifestyle being a major priority (as opposed to purely academic reasons). I agree it's all relative, but my point was work is not the same as free time and that everyone pays their dues (some more than others).

Be a nurse practitioner.

Or even a floor nurse at a magnet hospital, they clear 6 figures with 12 hour x 3 a week. It's a great gig.

I just got an email from Case Western about Anesthesiology Assistant.

Admission avg. are 3.5-3.6 and 500 MCAT, 2 years long, work 40 hrs a week making 150k+ at 24 yrs old. Anyone who goes MD/DO for money is crazy, so many easier ways.

No fellowship, as I trained in a residency where I got plenty of trauma and emergency surgery experience and had early operative experience so my chief year wasn't spent learning how to do the basics but instead was a balance between teaching junior residents to do appys and choles and doing bigger cases with the attendings not necessarily scrubbed. I stayed on at my training institution for a year as attending which let me get those first year attending jitters out in an environment I knew and with staff backup that was easy to get. Then I was approached by a prior attending who was out in private practice because he didn't want to take call anymore. It is a kinda unique set up in that there is a surgeon who is very business oriented who offered all the overhead I need (billing, office space and supplies, office staff and an office manager to take care of all the credentialing and admin ****) in return for a percentage of my income or a set salary. I had enough money to make it through the initial lag time between working and actually getting reimbursed by insurance so I chose the eat what I kill option (with paid call) which has been very lucrative and is very flexible in that if I were to not work one month I would owe zero overhead for that month which is pretty cool.

I see patients one half day a week (though lately I have had more new patients so I added a half day here and there as needed so no one has to wait long to be seen) which is mostly postops and quick. The guy that got me this job covers clinic for me when I go away and I return the favor for his trips (plus cover any patient left in house from his Tuesday OR day since he leaves town most every weekend, his schedule is pretty awesome too-no call, two half day clinics, two half days at the surgery center, one day in the hospital OR for bigger cases that I assist him on and we almost always finish by noon and the rest of the time is spent at his condo in Mammoth or the one in Oxnard). The other folks on the call schedule is who I have cover in patients left over when I am going to head out of town.

There are other set ups where you cycle between call, clinic, and off hours and pass people off to your colleagues (surgical hospitalist) which sounded interesting and I probably would have gone for that sort of thing if the alternative was doing the overhead stuff myself. I know I am the kind of person who would agonize over finding the cheapest gauze and whatever else and it would kill me to pay rent and salaries while I am not working.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Did you find any growing pains and pushback from other surgeons when you started working in this manner? I have a strong interest in the surgical hospitalist route, but my main mentor in the community says that working in that environment takes away from "owning your patient" which he thinks should be the main drive to pursue general surgery (besides actually operating). I have worked within 3 systems that use surgical hospitalists and sometimes there is some **** talking about them that has nothing to do with their abilities as a physician. Is his view perhaps antiquated? My ideal job would be doing the less glamorous general surgery cases all day with little clinic and little follow up. I know handoff goes against surgical culture and has some possible safety consequences, but it seems safe enough.

Also, what does your call schedule look like and do you feel like it is common for your situation?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Did you find any growing pains and pushback from other surgeons when you started working in this manner? I have a strong interest in the surgical hospitalist route, but my main mentor in the community says that working in that environment takes away from "owning your patient" which he thinks should be the main drive to pursue general surgery (besides actually operating). I have worked within 3 systems that use surgical hospitalists and sometimes there is some **** talking about them that has nothing to do with their abilities as a physician. Is his view perhaps antiquated? My ideal job would be doing the less glamorous general surgery cases all day with little clinic and little follow up. I know handoff goes against surgical culture and has some possible safety consequences, but it seems safe enough.

Also, what does your call schedule look like and do you feel like it is common for your situation?
No push back as there were people who no longer wanted to take call and I filled a need so the rest didn't have to take more. Now I anticipate there would be pushback if I tried to stop talking call at this point. There was some questions as to how much I might try to take elective cases away from others but I didn't market myself initially. Have now been doing it for almost 5 yrs and I get elective referrals because people I work with ask to see me or they send their family and friends to me, plus some of the primary care folks have heard enough about me to want to send me stuff too. Not much anyone can argue with as I didn't seek it out and they can't complain that I'm too good without sounding crazy. I take call about 6 times a month because that is the number I agreed to (though initially I agreed to 10 and lucked out that they brought other people on as I decided I wanted to work less). It varies but I do no more than two in a row except under special circumstances since I enjoy rest. This month for some reason I have no weekends, but usually I have one or two with one or two days on call. I just tell them before the call schedule is made when I plan to be gone otherwise I have to arrange the switching. I book elective stuff within the same month unless there is a reason to delay so I can ensure I am not on call or post call for the case (I hate 730 start times so I don't use block time and just plug my cases in where there are gaps which has been no problem thus far because it is usually just one or two at a time). Call is 7a to 7a the next day and you keep everything that you get called on unless you make special arrangements (like I would if I am on call Thursday and want to go out of town Friday). There is something to be said for patient ownership, but most of my patients are ready to go home the next day so I can see how surgical hospitalist stuff could succeed. There are some here who don't see their own patients when they come back with complications so it isn't like all the regular surgeons are super into continuity. At least with a formal system there is sign out instead of surprise "Dr so and so left town and this patient was supposed to have been discharged but is now having this issue can you take care of them" calls. That said I do feel guilty when I have to leave a patient before their treatment is done but I make sure I give a good sign out and leave them in capable hands. Not sure you get out of follow up completely with any job though. But the quick post appy or chole "are you eating ok, pooping ok, having any pain, here was the path, do you need a note for work" visit is hopefully ok with you.

I just got an email from Case Western about Anesthesiology Assistant.

Admission avg. are 3.5-3.6 and 500 MCAT, 2 years long, work 40 hrs a week making 150k+ at 24 yrs old. Anyone who goes MD/DO for money is crazy, so many easier ways.

Right.

But it's not about "easier" for some of us.

It's about potential.

I don't ever want to be 45 years old like some of my classmates thinking "what if" and then come back to med school trying to be a doctor because they settled on something else initially.

Shouts out to all my nurses out there... but I'd much rather be a physician and be looked at as a head honcho rather than a worker bee.

If ur gonna be a doc, please only do it because you want to. If ur gonna do it for a paycheck, you're only gonna hate yourself and hate your life and hate your patients and it all comes back around.

Damn millenials.

Always want the most return with the least investment.

Dentistry is a pretty sweet gig.

Right.

But it's not about "easier" for some of us.

It's about potential.

I don't ever want to be 45 years old like some of my classmates thinking "what if" and then come back to med school trying to be a doctor because they settled on something else initially.

Shouts out to all my nurses out there... but I'd much rather be a physician and be looked at as a head honcho rather than a worker bee.

If ur gonna be a doc, please only do it because you want to. If ur gonna do it for a paycheck, you're only gonna hate yourself and hate your life and hate your patients and it all comes back around.

Damn millenials.

Always want the most return with the least investment.

Just thought it was neat-o my dawg.

Just thought it was neat-o my dawg.

Nah I felt what you were saying. Just adding my 2 cents.

If u need any pre-med help, slide into my dms shorty.

I very much appreciate your post as so many people just absolutely **** on derm and it's nice to see that there are some people understand what derm is actually like.

Sure dermatology clinic may run from 8/9 to 5, but then there is charting (30-50 patients) and reading which adds a lot of time outside of clinic.

It also doesn't surprise me that so many people who get 260s on step go into derm. That's what I'm shooting for right now and I actually really enjoy learning the majority of the step 1 content. I don't mind putting in the hours to learn about something I care about and find interesting. For me personally I'd rather spend 40 hours in clinic and 20 reading, than 60 in the hospital, but that's just me.

OP.

I think you are selling yourself short.

HONESTLY...

PA programs are VERY tempting to folks like OP.

The clinic that I am rotating at has PA salary for a $125,000 contract for 40 hours a week with the POTENTIAL to go up to $180,000 if they desire.

THAT.

IS.

RIDICULOUS.

OP... sucks you realized this so late, but you shouldn't have done med school lolz
Nah I am still happy with my degree choice regardless, might have been a crazy few yrs with studying but I'm proud to be doing an MD, plus I think if I ever did have a change in heart to switch careers, being able to get through medical school says something to employers. Obv need the skills for another field but that's a separate issue. I agree about the PA stuff, i've met a few and their lives seem cush af haha

OP, pursue Derm.
Derm is an interest of mine but if i'm being honest with myself and not considering money or hrs the actual work they do doesn't interest me nearly as much as peds or ortho. I included it as one of my interests largely b/c of their money:hrs (for better or worse)

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied! some of the responses were very interesting and have given me quite a bit to think about! Thank you :)

Derm is an interest of mine but if i'm being honest with myself and not considering money or hrs the actual work they do doesn't interest me nearly as much as peds or ortho. I included it as one of my interests largely b/c of their money:hrs (for better or worse)

I feel like derm does not seem worth it if you are not passionate about it...I would go with peds or ortho. The money will all be the same eventually...esp with ortho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why the hell are WE giving up 10+ years of our lives and going neck deep into debt when some fratboy d-bag in a suit with a masters degree can make 6 figures and sign our checks at the end of the day without the time, money, and legal investment WE have made?
I love that you sound just like a fratboy d-bag and are complaining about them. Do you actually talk like this or is it just because you got accepted to med school?
Not all of us who are older "settled" on a previous career. I loved what I was doing before and if I hadn't gotten into med school I would have been just as happy continuing down my path. Also, we're not "trying" to be doctors anymore than you are. Readjust your perspective and stop trying to force your preconceived opinions on everyone. Or as my generation used to say, take a chill pill, dude.

I love that you sound just like a fratboy d-bag and are complaining about them. Do you actually talk like this or is it just because you got accepted to med school?
Not all of us who are older "settled" on a previous career. I loved what I was doing before and if I hadn't gotten into med school I would have been just as happy continuing down my path. Also, we're not "trying" to be doctors anymore than you are. Readjust your perspective and stop trying to force your preconceived opinions on everyone. Or as my generation used to say, take a chill pill, dude.

Well.. you sir... have bought yourself a 1-way ticket to "BLOCKTOWN".

;)

I'm not sure why no one has mentioned this, but orthopedics being a high paying specialty does not equal it being a lifestyle specialty. I guess you could work less, but the vast majority of orthopedic surgeons work a lot. Also, if you are worried about residency as a part of the equation, orthopedic surgery residency tends to be one of the most intensive residencies you could possibly pick. Theres's some days I wish I was a general surgery resident because their schedule is preferable to ours haha. Not to mention if you even so much as hint you want to work a minimal number of hours on an ortho subI you can just show yourself the exit.

I think people overlook one more thing... what your SPOUSE does can make a HUGE difference.

I personally know an ortho doc who married a FM doc.

Ortho guy does 3 days a week and clears more than $400K and his wife does 3 days a week as well and makes $150,000.

They are literally traveling ALL the damn time.

No. I'm serious.

They just got back from Ibiza 2 weeks ago and are going to Japan tomorrow.

If that isn't GOALS... IDK WHAT IS.

Reactions: 6 users
I think people overlook one more thing... what your SPOUSE does can make a HUGE difference.

Ortho guy does 3 days a week and clears more than $400K and his wife does 3 days a week as well and makes $150,000.

No. I'm serious.

Definitely not "GOALS" for me. Give me a loving, devoted, committed spouse (which I have and who works retail), good health, and a comfortable life, and I'm happy. There are more important things in the world than making half a million dollars.

No. I'm serious.

Not really my goals either, but to each their own.

No. I'm serious.

Good luck traveling that much with kids... do they have any?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No kids.

To each their own for sure... but my point was that nobody has to work 5-6 days a week if they don't want to.... and an understanding partner can alleviate that.

They are literally the epitome of goals to ME is what I meant. Apologize if I ruffled anybody's panties.

That is what I want my life to be like.

Have a small home that's paid off (for the equity). Small car (nice little corolla or prius or whateva). Nothing flashy at all.

But you bet your butt I'm paying $$$ for a first class ticket if me and bae are traveling anywhere out of country.

You only have to work super hard if you become a slave to your lifestyle creep.

I have buddies in my class always looking at $2,000,000- $3,000,000 beach houses talking about "that's what I want man. I want to make X-amount of $$$ a year and just have a fat crib on the beach."

That is SUPER dope and I HOPE they get whatever they want ... but many med students (including my friends) are super delusional.

What about federal and your local income tax?

You know how much it is to MAINTAIN a "fat crib" like that? How much will your electricity bill, property tax, insurance, depreciation, etc. cost you in the long run?

Oh... not to mention you will be working like a dog just to barely clear the mortgage on said "fat" crib.

No time to even enjoy it lol

My point comes back to one thing....

if you keep your costs low... you don't have to worry if you "ONLY" make $150,000 (if that ever happens).

Some doctors are very stupid with their money.

Definitely not "GOALS" for me. Give me a loving, devoted, committed spouse (which I have and who works retail), good health, and a comfortable life, and I'm happy. There are more important things in the world than making half a million dollars.

Good for you man.

It's not about making half a million only....

It's about spending time and enjoying the money too.

They both love to travel and both have similar interests. They are both are intellectually and educationally equal and both have similar goals.

Just cause they both make $$$ doesn't mean they aren't loyal or committed to each other lol

some of us want the giggly girl who is a barista at Starbucks and is all about art and music we don't have to worry talking about our work with...

some of us want the nerdy medical chick and fellow doctor who we can talk about work with and interesting patients with and understand each others' sacrifice a lot better...

so like you said... to each their own.

Last edited:
Good for you man.

It's not about making half a million only....

It's about spending time and enjoying the money too.

They both love to travel and both have similar interests. They are both are intellectually and educationally equal and both have similar goals.

Just cause they both make $$$ doesn't mean they aren't loyal or committed to each other lol

some of us want the giggly girl who is a barista at Starbucks and is all about art and music we don't have to worry talking about our work with...

some of us want the nerdy medical chick and fellow doctor who we can talk about work with and interesting patients with and understand each others' sacrifice a lot better...

so like you said... to each their own.

You seem to be dichotomizing too much with your over-the-top hypotheticals and concerns about other people’s choices in life.

You seem to be dichotomizing too much with your over-the-top hypotheticals and concerns about other people’s choices in life.

I literally said...

"TO EACH THEIR OWN".

lol

I literally said...

"TO EACH THEIR OWN".

lol
I saw that and was commenting on the quality and logical soundness of the rest of the text. I don't think capitalizing individual words and using slang does your argument any favors.

On topic, OP, I suggest you outline your personal values beyond lifestyle to see where in medicine you would feel the most fulfilled with the work that you do daily. Lifestyle will be modifiable later. While choosing a specialty should probably be your first priority, give some thought to your desired practice settings, patient population, opportunities for personal and career growth, etc.

I saw that and was commenting on the quality and logical soundness of the rest of the text. I don't think capitalizing individual words and using slang does your argument any favors.

On topic, OP, I suggest you outline your personal values beyond lifestyle to see where in medicine you would feel the most fulfilled with the work that you do daily. Lifestyle will be modifiable later. While choosing a specialty should probably be your first priority, give some thought to your desired practice settings, patient population, opportunities for personal and career growth, etc.

Brah.

You just got a one-way ticket to BLOCKTOWN.

Hey MOTHER TERESA, is it UNFATHOMABLE to you that OP can MAKE MORE and WORK LESS and has a board score to frickin' do so (or so he claims to)?

Common sense (it's okay sweetheart... I know many med students like yourself don't know what this is or lack this... not your fault.. it's ok) will tell you that making $350,000 for 40 hours a week is WAY BETTER than $350K for 72 hours a week.

I don't care WHO you are.

OP has the chance to enter specialties that afford the former rather than the latter. He'd be an idiot not to pursue those chances!

It's people with YOUR type of mentality that are screwing over medicine and are the reason why it is SO EASY to get screwed over by employers who low ball you for your services.

If a hospital is giving you $250,000.... how much do you think that THEY make off of YOU?

Idk when millenials (I AM ONE for godsake) will get it through their heads that ALTRUISM DOES NOT PAY. IT IS NOT PROFITABLE. IT IS RIPE FOR EXPLOITATION and that is why doctors are being shafted every which way possible.

You will have bills one day.

I've never heard about anybody complain that they made TOO MUCH money.... only that they didn't make enough.

Go do street medicine or move to Canada or Australia if you don't care about the $$$ and want the time to dilly dally around and are "fine" with a nurse's salary.

Medicine is a BUSINESS.

Ridiculous.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sensitive much?

Nah.

I just have too many warnings to curse people out on here and decided to start using the block button because I share this account with my sister and her boyfriend and they will be realllyyyy mad if I get this account deleted.

I don't need that drama in my life doc.

No sir!