Specialities where 30-40 hours is possible, happy with 80-120K per year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"BLOCKTOWN" in 3....2.....1

Nah.

VA is an OG around these parts I look up to.

He safe.

;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah.

I just have too many warnings to curse people out on here and decided to start using the block button because I share this account with my sister and her boyfriend and they will be realllyyyy mad if I get this account deleted.

I don't need that drama in my life doc.

No sir!
You realize by admitting you're sharing the account, you just admitted to breaking the SDN terms of service... and this can in fact get the account disciplined?

Reactions: 5 users
You realize by admitting you're sharing the account, you just admitted to breaking the SDN terms of service... and this can in fact get the account disciplined?

Ah dang.

Well... looks like there goes our account!

:(

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all

I'm a third year medical student, I've got the grades and letters to be competitive in the fields I am interested in (Derm, Peds and Ortho) but I'm feeling pretty burnt out

I have a lot of hobbies I would like to pursue, I don't really care about salary but don't want to work more then 40hours per week after residency

My ideal job would be 30hrs/week with a salary of at least 80K
I prefer treatable conditions and do prefer some patient contact in my life

I do like helping people but I want time to grow as a person outside of medicine and be there for my family when I'm at that stage

Thanks!!

You've been through the ringer, your ideal job should be 30hrs/week at $250/hour with no call, no mid-level supervision, 6-8 weeks of vacation a year. Derm, Psych, ER (off the top of my head) can offer it, but you still need to be on your game at work because of the legal liabilities you will be facing regardless of specialty.

If you ask for 80k/year you are asking for your future employer to abuse you. They will lure you in with a 30hr/week schedule, then cram in a 40hr/week schedule, then when you want to leave, they'll ask for the signing bonus back. Don't give up yet, what you are looking for requires as much focus as someone aiming for a "hot" specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah.

I just have too many warnings to curse people out on here and decided to start using the block button because I share this account with my sister and her boyfriend and they will be realllyyyy mad if I get this account deleted.

I don't need that drama in my life doc.

No sir!
Only one account per person and only one person per account.

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel if users are going to admit to breaking the rules LOL

Reactions: 3 users
Here in New England, a decent size town like where I grew up, FM / IM are clearing 4.5 days/week, 1:20 calls, and 220K salary...plus more if you make partners / shareholder. It's not all that doom and gloom like you guys make it.

Here in New England, a decent size town like where I grew up, FM / IM are clearing 4.5 days/week, 1:20 calls, and 220K salary...plus more if you make partners / shareholder. It's not all that doom and gloom like you guys make it.
I know a PCP in a very nice and sunny part of the country (West coast) making $300-$350K working good hours (partner), averages 35-40 hours, similar schedule as what you said (he takes 1 day off a week but does half days Saturday). His other partners are the same (I'm told). I don't like PCP work or outpatient medicine, but if someone does then that's great. PCP's in huge demand and can live anywhere too.

I think the key is living a little bit outside of a big city (doesn't have to be very far, depending on the city, this PCP's practice is in the suburbs of a major city) and working in a community with good insurance. I think PCP's can have it good, they aren't as dependant on hospitals and government (like hospital based specialties) and can do more of their own thing, it sounds like. It's nice to be free (or more free) of hospitals and government. If someone is in a hospital based specialty, or their patients are mostly on Medicare, but the government slashes Medicare reimbursements, or hospitals have more control of what they can or can't do, then that's not good. I guess this is why a lot of physicians in private practice in a lot of different specialties are upset.

Last edited:
Only one account per person and only one person per account.

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel if users are going to admit to breaking the rules LOL

Just saw the thread where you were bullying Eugene Gu, MD. He posted about it on Twitter. Lots of very prominent doctors are rallying to his cause. You should be ashamed.

Just saw the thread where you were bullying Eugene Gu, MD. He posted about it on Twitter. Lots of very prominent doctors are rallying to his cause. You should be ashamed.
I'm not entirely sure that discussing a public figure counts as bullying. Not that he should be a public figure, but he puts himself out there, thus making himself a legitimate topic for discussion.

I guarantee you WS is a few thousand miles away from Eugene and has nothing to do with the Vanderbilt administration, so nothing she writes on SDN in said discussion could even remotely count as bullying.

Reactions: 7 users
This could not possibly have less to do with the post you're responding to

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not entirely sure that discussing a public figure counts as bullying. Not that he should be a public figure, but he puts himself out there, thus making himself a legitimate topic for discussion.

I guarantee you WS is a few thousand miles away from Eugene and has nothing to do with the Vanderbilt administration, so nothing she writes on SDN in said discussion could even remotely count as bullying.
And criticizing a loose cannon is not bullying either.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DO people who work part time, like in ER and stuff, still get benefits? Or do you usually have to be a full time working employee?

DO people who work part time, like in ER and stuff, still get benefits? Or do you usually have to be a full time working employee?
Depends on how they are contracting.

Physicians who are employees (on a w2) are typically given benefits, even with part time hours.

Independent contractors (on a 1099) are typically given no benefits, but are paid more to compensate. They're responsible for buying their own health insurance, opening their own 401k, etc.

Depends on how they are contracting.

Physicians who are employees (on a w2) are typically given benefits, even with part time hours.

Independent contractors (on a 1099) are typically given no benefits, but are paid more to compensate. They're responsible for buying their own health insurance, opening their own 401k, etc.
Just to be clear the 1099 folks don't get benefits even if they do full time work.

I just got an email from Case Western about Anesthesiology Assistant.

Admission avg. are 3.5-3.6 and 500 MCAT, 2 years long, work 40 hrs a week making 150k+ at 24 yrs old. Anyone who goes MD/DO for money is crazy, so many easier ways.
It's good now, but I would be scared of viability of this field for the next 20-30 years due to possibility of saturation. I, too, received that email.

It's good now, but I would be scared of viability of this field for the next 20-30 years due to possibility of saturation. I, too, received that email.

Very true, look at pharmacy. I know someone who just left pharmacy school and switched to Pre-PA because of job prospects.

umm almost any field of medicine is capable of that. I first read that as 80-120K per month and had to actually think. 120K per year is a pretty low bar. Maybe you are in the EU or something.

umm almost any field of medicine is capable of that. I first read that as 80-120K per month and had to actually think. 120K per year is a pretty low bar. Maybe you are in the EU or something.
what did you think of when you thought 80-120 per month lol?

Hey MOTHER TERESA, is it UNFATHOMABLE to you that OP can MAKE MORE and WORK LESS and has a board score to frickin' do so (or so he claims to)?

Common sense (it's okay sweetheart... I know many med students like yourself don't know what this is or lack this... not your fault.. it's ok) will tell you that making $350,000 for 40 hours a week is WAY BETTER than $350K for 72 hours a week.

I don't care WHO you are.

OP has the chance to enter specialties that afford the former rather than the latter. He'd be an idiot not to pursue those chances!

It's people with YOUR type of mentality that are screwing over medicine and are the reason why it is SO EASY to get screwed over by employers who low ball you for your services.

If a hospital is giving you $250,000.... how much do you think that THEY make off of YOU?

Why the hell are WE giving up 10+ years of our lives and going neck deep into debt when some fratboy d-bag in a suit with a masters degree can make 6 figures and sign our checks at the end of the day without the time, money, and legal investment WE have made?

Idk when millenials (I AM ONE for godsake) will get it through their heads that ALTRUISM DOES NOT PAY. IT IS NOT PROFITABLE. IT IS RIPE FOR EXPLOITATION and that is why doctors are being shafted every which way possible.

You will have bills one day.

I've never heard about anybody complain that they made TOO MUCH money.... only that they didn't make enough.

Go do street medicine or move to Canada or Australia if you don't care about the $$$ and want the time to dilly dally around and are "fine" with a nurse's salary.

Medicine is a BUSINESS.

Ridiculous.
I sense that you have some feelings on the issue

Spine surgery? Owning a series of medispas?

Both will require significantly more hours though .

I read somewhere that high-volume ophthalmologists can make crazy money too.

OP, I am in a similar situation and share your lifestyle goals. I have been trying to figure out if I should go into psych or neuro (I am really into neurosciences, and have really competitive stats). What do you guys make of the job market regarding both fields and lifestyle and academic goals

OP, I am in a similar situation and share your lifestyle goals. I have been trying to figure out if I should go into psych or neuro (I am really into neurosciences, and have really competitive stats). What do you guys make of the job market regarding both fields and lifestyle and academic goals

Hands down psych.
-Smallest overhead of any specialty (no fancy equipment, tools, high number of support staff)
-One of the best job markets in medicine
-Good salary (250-300k for full time)
-Best lifestyle in medicine tied with maybe pathology
-Easy to scale up/down hours
-Option for cash pay practice

Neuro is a great field as well, but psych is better for the reasons mentioned above.

Lol the ER docs I scribed for worked 40 hrs a week and make 400k. Rural Midwest.