St. George's University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there an equestrian club? Or are the horses used for teaching purposes only?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an equestrian club? Or are the horses used for teaching purposes only?

teaching purposes only - most of these are retired (rescued) race horses from Trinidad. our animal welfare and behavior organization is currently working with a horse "farm" to get the place in good condition (horses are in very poor health and it needs a lot of work) which might be a project that interests you

teaching purposes only - most of these are retired (rescued) race horses from Trinidad. our animal welfare and behavior organization is currently working with a horse "farm" to get the place in good condition (horses are in very poor health and it needs a lot of work) which might be a project that interests you

"animal welfare and behavior"-- what do you mean by behavior?! a group focused not only on the welfare of animals but also on the behavior of animals (I would love to specialize in animal behavior)

Members don't see this ad :)
"animal welfare and behavior"-- what do you mean by behavior?! a group focused not only on the welfare of animals but also on the behavior of animals (I would love to specialize in animal behavior)

er i'm not really sure what the group is all about (not really my cup of tea) but you can certainly find out more when you get here!

So did your acceptance come from a phone call, email or both? How did you find out? Just curious ;)

I got an email quickly after I had left a message with Krista asking her if there were any updates, welcome packet came via snail mail a few days after!

Is it possible to assess the pros and cons of starting in January versus August? I want to start this August, but my BF wants me to start in Jan.

Is it possible to assess the pros and cons of starting in January versus August? I want to start this August, but my BF wants me to start in Jan.

this is probably a difficult thing to answer (given that students generally start one OR the other).

over all it's probably about equal for most factors. the biggest couple of things i can think of is jan start dates get 3 summers where aug only gets 2 (because of the layout) and graduating in jan will have its own pros/cons list. unless you are 100% sure right now that you want an internship after you graduate, it probably doesn't matter much. the bit about internships is that they start june/july so you'd have a few months to fill between graduating and starting the internship.

i think you need to evaluate what you want versus what he wants. ultimately waiting an extra 4 months just tacks it on somewhere else. :shrug:

this is probably a difficult thing to answer (given that students generally start one OR the other).

over all it's probably about equal for most factors. the biggest couple of things i can think of is jan start dates get 3 summers where aug only gets 2 (because of the layout) and graduating in jan will have its own pros/cons list. unless you are 100% sure right now that you want an internship after you graduate, it probably doesn't matter much. the bit about internships is that they start june/july so you'd have a few months to fill between graduating and starting the internship.

i think you need to evaluate what you want versus what he wants. ultimately waiting an extra 4 months just tacks it on somewhere else. :shrug:

Thanks! I know this is a nearly impossible question. I'm having such a hard time trying to decide. He wants more time to prepare, and I am ready to go. One of us will have to compromise and neither of us want to at the point. It's kinda exhausting. :scared: Thanks again!

Thanks! I know this is a nearly impossible question. I'm having such a hard time trying to decide. He wants more time to prepare, and I am ready to go. One of us will have to compromise and neither of us want to at the point. It's kinda exhausting. :scared: Thanks again!

my real two cents is dont wait. policies and classes are evolving, tuition and COA is ever rising, etc. in the grand scheme of the stress the next 4 years are going to put on your relationship, an extra few months isn't really going to change that. you cant really prepare for what vet school is going to feel like, and you definitely can;t prepare for what it's going to feel like being so far apart with one of you under such a heavy load.

my real two cents is dont wait. policies and classes are evolving, tuition and COA is ever rising, etc. in the grand scheme of the stress the next 4 years are going to put on your relationship, an extra few months isn't really going to change that. you cant really prepare for what vet school is going to feel like, and you definitely can;t prepare for what it's going to feel like being so far apart with one of you under such a heavy load.

Thanks I really appreciate this! I will mention it to him ;)

Soo my question...I am up for my 2 year contract with verizon and can upgrade my phone. Should I bother if I heading to SGU for most likely Jan (still waitlisted for August)? How does phone/data work down there?

Gracias! :)

Soo my question...I am up for my 2 year contract with verizon and can upgrade my phone. Should I bother if I heading to SGU for most likely Jan (still waitlisted for August)? How does phone/data work down there?

I am personally trying to avoid upgrading my phone before moving down there because I feel it will mostly be a waste. The only time I'm hoping to use my current phone is to connect to wifi (if possible) to use a free texting app, but even then I may just use my laptop.

1) are you planning on keeping the contract open while you're here (you can suspend for 3 months at a time)

2) are you planning on getting an international plan?
if yes --> you're an idiot and wasting A LOT of money dont do it ;)
if no...continue

3) does the phone you currently have use a SIM card? does the phone you want to upgrade to use a SIM card? everything here is done by prepaid SIM cards. usually you buy a cheap little phone (or just the SIM if you have a compatible phone you want to use) at the beginning of school and just use that. unfortunately i am no expert on "data" but i'm pretty sure its all wifi based here and not like a 3G or 4G or whatever they're at now like in the US. ask the fb group for the best info there.

if you want to bring something from home you certainly can, otherwise you can purchase a little phone very cheaply here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got into Jan 2014!!:p (wait listed for august). Does anyone know if they are serious about the rolling backpack thing? or is a regular backpack ok? also coveralls... i have a thick overall carhart that used at a farm in Vermont. do they have to be long sleeve and does it have to be super light because of the hot weather?

Got into Jan 2014!!:p (wait listed for august). Does anyone know if they are serious about the rolling backpack thing? or is a regular backpack ok? also coveralls... i have a thick overall carhart that used at a farm in Vermont. do they have to be long sleeve and does it have to be super light because of the hot weather?

Congrats! How long ago did you interview? I had my interview on the 9th so I am patiently waiting to hear the results. Where did you hear about a rolling backpack?

use a regular backpack, or i (along with countless other people i'm sure) will make fun of you. idk what's up with that suggestion

we will also laugh if you come with coveralls that are anything but short sleeved, and then frown when you heat stroke during lab :p so in short, stash the thick overalls for winter breaks and clinics and buy yourself a pair of ugly short sleeves :laugh:

Congrats! How long ago did you interview? I had my interview on the 9th so I am patiently waiting to hear the results. Where did you hear about a rolling backpack?

I had my interview on May 28th. My interviewer said to contact them if I didn't hear back within 2-3 weeks. I called them when my status changed to "Decision Made". They told me I got in and I got the acceptance email yesterday.

I saw on the "what to bring" list about a sturdy backpack or a rolling backpack because the books are so heavy. I am a very tiny girl so I wanted to ask around :p.

Hey so I am starting to shop for stuff for SGU SVM. Are there any not really obvious things students suggest i bring?

Also what school supplies do you mainly use? I just got out of undergrad and I am used to teachers using mainly slideshows and blackboard, so making notes on my computer then printing them is my go to.

Hey so I am starting to shop for stuff for SGU SVM. Are there any not really obvious things students suggest i bring?

Also what school supplies do you mainly use? I just got out of undergrad and I am used to teachers using mainly slideshows and blackboard, so making notes on my computer then printing them is my go to.

everything is ppt based here. until recently, all notes were printed and given to the students, however the university has decided to be stupid and go paperless. the upper terms had the option to order and purchase term notes for the upcoming semester but i'm not sure how that will work for incoming 1st termers. you might want to email and ask admissions how thats working because otherwise everything will be electronic. it will be difficult at best to print all of your notes on campus due to the set up (thus the whole paperless thing is really dumb).

I just got accepted for January! I'm so excited and can't wait to meet everyone.

I just got accepted for January! I'm so excited and can't wait to meet everyone.

CONGRATS!!! Come join us in the Facebook group...tons of helpful info there, and there seem to be some awesome people in our class ;)

What's the facebook group called?

Also question for current sgu svm students. I'm looking into getting a new computer (apple vs. windows). what do must students use and what tech services are available on campus?

The link to the Facebook group should be in your welcome email. Also, from what I've read the school suggests getting a Mac. They have more info on the computing section on their website. I'm also getting a new laptop and am switching to Mac!

The link to the Facebook group should be in your welcome email. Also, from what I've read the school suggests getting a Mac. They have more info on the computing section on their website. I'm also getting a new laptop and am switching to Mac!

wow thats surprising to hear. you are going to pay a lot more in customs fees for a mac fyi. like at least over $100 if not more

How ya'll doin? I was granted the St George's interview on one condition; if I agreed to retake the GRE. I agreed to, so I was interviewed. My new GRE scores were the same as the first ones. The interview went really well, so I guess I'm counting on the interview to outweigh the GRE scores. Has anyone experienced this scenario before? If so, what was the outcome? Any insight will be appreciated! BTW, I applied for Jan 2014.
Thanks!

wow thats surprising to hear. you are going to pay a lot more in customs fees for a mac fyi. like at least over $100 if not more

Ill take it. I regretted not getting one for undergrad, so it's totally worth it to me haha.

Ill take it. I regretted not getting one for undergrad, so it's totally worth it to me haha.

just be sure to have the cash on hand. you might ask FB what people have paid coming through. i know $120-$140 was "common" for ipads last spring

just be sure to have the cash on hand. you might ask FB what people have paid coming through. i know $120-$140 was "common" for ipads last spring

Alright! Thanks so much!

How many coveralls do students normally bring? I have a couple of scrubs but only one coverall. Is that enough?

How many coveralls do students normally bring? I have a couple of scrubs but only one coverall. Is that enough?

should be fine. you can also wear scrubs at the farm so if you really needed more than one pair without time to wash you could just trade scrubs.

someone told me to buy 2 + pairs as a 1st termer. that was silly advice. you'll visit the farm a handful of times and not need them much for the first couple of years. perhaps a better investment for 6th termers with farm rotations 4 days a week, but not when you have the occasional lab.

i prefer coveralls to scrubs on the farm because it was much cooler to wear a tank top and shorts to and from the farm and just have that suit on at the farm. you are going to sweat a waterfall regardless, might as well shorten that time if possible!

Sent in my application on Sunday and found out this morning that I was granted an interview although the school has not yet received one of my letters of recommendation. Must say I was surprised but extremely excited! I guess they are acting faster with the January deadline approaching. Already have butterflies from reading all of your posts. Any last words of advice are appreciated.

Hope to join you in January:xf::xf:

Sent in my application on Sunday and found out this morning that I was granted an interview although the school has not yet received one of my letters of recommendation. Must say I was surprised but extremely excited! I guess they are acting faster with the January deadline approaching. Already have butterflies from reading all of your posts. Any last words of advice are appreciated.

Hope to join you in January:xf::xf:

Yes, they are probably trying to get to all those applying for January interviewed as soon as possible as I have heard that our class is close to being full. Just be sure to get that last letter(s) in ASAP. I was in the same situation as you, and was interviewed with only 1 letter of recommendation submitted; however, they won't make a decision until all application materials are in. I'm pretty sure that my 2nd letter being so much later than the other is what kept me out of the August class, ugh!
Anyway, best of luck :xf: SGU was one of my favorite interviews :love:

How ya'll doin? I was granted the St George's interview on one condition; if I agreed to retake the GRE. I agreed to, so I was interviewed. My new GRE scores were the same as the first ones. The interview went really well, so I guess I'm counting on the interview to outweigh the GRE scores. Has anyone experienced this scenario before? If so, what was the outcome? Any insight will be appreciated! BTW, I applied for Jan 2014.
Thanks!

What does anyone know about the passport details page of the app? I haven't started the passport application yet.

TIA

What does anyone know about the passport details page of the app? I haven't started the passport application yet.

TIA

when i applied (but i had 6+ months before my intended start date), i put a note that said if i was accepted i would apply for a passport and no one ever questioned it. you could also say in the process of applying or something like that

when i applied (but i had 6+ months before my intended start date), i put a note that said if i was accepted i would apply for a passport and no one ever questioned it. you could also say in the process of applying or something like that

Thanks, jmo! That's what I was thinking.....I knew I could count on you. :D

haha np. i mean, its been years :eek: since i did it, but i think that page is more a gentle nudge/reminder that you need a passport to get to and from grenada haha

I'm sure....reality check of a third world country. ;)

I'm sure....reality check of a third world country. ;)

you'd be surprised, i just met a guy the other day that checked his passport in a bag gateside at one airport because he had his passport card with him. :smack: they had to locate his luggage on the plane in cargo so he could prove he had one before they let him board

you'd be surprised, i just met a guy the other day that checked his passport in a bag gateside at one airport because he had his passport card with him. :smack: they had to locate his luggage on the plane in cargo so he could prove he had one before they let him board

Oh.....wow....:eek:

Sooo today I got an email inviting me for a skype interview! Is this THE interview? Or will there be another after in-person? I didn't know SGU did skype interviews. The email allso said that I'll have to write an essay before the interview. Any insight would be helpful! Thanks!

I am going to be applying to SGU next fall for the Summer term of 2015. Does anyone have any idea on the cost of housing and food etc. as compared to what it is in the US? Also, can you live on campus for your entire stay, or are you only allowed to live their during your first semester?

I am going to be applying to SGU next fall for the Summer term of 2015. Does anyone have any idea on the cost of housing and food etc. as compared to what it is in the US? Also, can you live on campus for your entire stay, or are you only allowed to live their during your first semester?

1. there is no summer term here, we start august and january only
2. COL is comparable to expensive areas of the US but more than your average everyday individual is paying
3. you can theoretically live on campus all 3 years, but its lottery system and hit or miss after the first 2 terms. living off campus is usually cheaper, if not much cheaper and there are plenty of safe places

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I think I must have been thinking of Ross that has a Spring semester. Do you have any suggestions as far as the application process is concerned such as using VMCAS or not? I could theoretically apply for the Jan 2015 semester. However, my genetics and Biochem requirement would be in progress when I applied. Does St. George allow you to apply with pre-requisite courses in progress?

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I think I must have been thinking of Ross that has a Spring semester. Do you have any suggestions as far as the application process is concerned such as using VMCAS or not? I could theoretically apply for the Jan 2015 semester. However, my genetics and Biochem requirement would be in progress when I applied. Does St. George allow you to apply with pre-requisite courses in progress?

i applied before vmcas was a thing so i can't help you there. i'm pretty sure you can apply with things in progress (but i'd ask them to be sure)

Definitely check with the school. Some only want you to have one pre requisite unfinished before applying. Some are more lenient.

Definitely check with the school. Some only want you to have one pre requisite unfinished before applying. Some are more lenient.

i'm not sure SGU will give you a final decision unless your app is 100% complete. they'll interview you with minimal things missing, but they won't actually complete the process. I don't think they're doing contingent acceptances like you'd get in the US because they have 2 start dates. i could be wrong though, talk to admissions!

I have a 9 year old, approx. 38lb border collie. What travel arrangements have those of you currently at SGU made to get your pets there? Do the dogs go on the plane with you or do they have to go below with the cargo? I will have to bring her with me from California to Granada, and I'm a bit nervous about how well she will travel and the travel conditions in the cargo area. There's always acepromazine, but I'm not even sure how she will do with that on board. She is already a nervous dog with anxiety problems....hence my concern. Also, probably a stupid question but I'm sure you can buy dog beds in Granada right? With only being able to bring so much with me I'm probably not going to be able to bring her big bed too. Also, does the vet school or hills offer discounts on pet food for students? She's already on heartworm prevention and k9 Advantix (Since 2 years ago she had a horrible reaction to Frontline Plus). If there is anything else of importance I should know, any advice would be greatly appreciated!